The Expansion Pack

<Ryosan> To finish this live chat, it's now the dev turn to ask you one question.

<Ulf> Ok, we at GRIN want to know...

<Ryosan> and at Ubisoft

<Ulf> If we were to develop an expansion pack - what would you like to see in it?

Say what you would like to see/have, and what you don’t want. Or they might send us to Alaska on our future missions… and we don’t want that, or do we?? :huh::hmm:

Also, maybe a short story line to go with that if you wish. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I dont think the tech exists to do a truly well done forest/jungle.

While it'd be nice....were just not there yet.

however, Snow....Canada....Russia.... :devil:

Ah! Good point, but…

With the AGEIA processor, we talking 40,000 objects that we can physically interact with simultaneously. That includes plants. Therefore bitchin’ Forest/Jungle maps bro.

:yes:

At the end of the mission campaine in GRAW We would need to know the outcome of the last mission on completion.

This would may be give us a clue on the next task/tasks. in a pack.

Seeing as how we dont know this its hard to decide.

No one has ever done a realy decent jungle pack, considering the limitations etc.

So this would be my request.

Some of the forces we fought went into hiding and are doing hit and run type attacks on local areas just out side the city, it is your job to flush out these bad guys. etc etc.

This type of terain.

Rivers/Moutains/Forests

This would be well cool and follows the story line aswell.

Colin

Personally I think there is a very good reason why they have steered clear of a Jungle based theme which a lot of people seem to gloss over.

People say they want realism and would like a jungle theme, let me ask you a question.

Do you really want to spend ages edging through foliage and trees only to be gunned down by an unknown and unseen enemy or to blindly stumble head on into a patroll that wipes you out immediately because to be honest that's what a 'Realistic' jungle environment would entail.

FarCry had some of the densest forests yet seen in a game and as patchy as that was it still got visually restrictive sometimes.

I think the reason game developers shy away from the 'Heavy' Jungle theme is the fact that as exciting and tense a concept as it sound, the reality when it comes to gameplay is that it's frustrating as hell and better off left alone.

what about…

-Proximity charges (like F.E.A.R.)

-A BIG pack of C4, so you can sneak in the enemy’s location, get out and press the button :devil:

-Different uniforms, colours, nationalities. (Dark grey camo for me thanks)

-Scuba diving gear (if lake/ocean) to sneak up on enemies position.

-Motion detector; infrared, heat and ground vibration.

And yeah! Let it be forests.

Send us somewhere interesting, the rest will be up to all of us.

As long as we can mod GRAW (at least as much as GR1), we'll be fine. The modders and scriptors in the GR community will send us to all the other places in the world that GRIN doesn't/can't offer.

GRAW Modding Tools please. :rolleyes:

silent_op

I would like mountainous region. Plains are too predictable.

Desert settings would be great, featuring barren, rocky, mountainous terrain and villages with yellow stone huts. Maybe North Africa.

Jungles are my second prefernce and I dislike snow. Whatever the settings, I would like it to be mountainous and featuring lots of villages.

As NYR said in the chat, various settings like SS would perhaps be ideal to please everybody but we would require many maps and a big mission pack. :)

The snow maps in Ghost Recon are terrific, I'll never tire of the Frostbite maps they are just gorgeous, so I'd like to see a campaign somewhere cold, but not

too cold

:whistle:

And I agree with Dai's point, a jungle scene might look fantastic, but the gameplay could be spoiled by well camo'd enemy dressed as foliage using the Ghosts as a turkey shoot. How did it work in other games though - like Vietcong - was it heavy on jungle maps?

How did it work in other games though - like Vietcong - was it heavy on jungle maps?

Vietcong 1 had maps which were usually pretty linear barring a couple. The dense jungle areas were mostly like the walls of a passageway. I don't think we would like that in the GR series. There were a few maps where we could actually enter the dense jungles, and there, the firefights were not that exciting IMHO.

Less dense jungles and areas cleared to create settlements and roads in dense jungles should work if the level design is excellent. But too much very dense areas will make the gameplay different and too close-quarter for my liking. :)

Some of the forces we fought went into hiding and are doing hit and run type attacks on local areas just out side the city, it is your job to flush out these bad guys. etc etc.

This type of terain.

Rivers/Moutains/Forests

This would be well cool and follows the story line aswell.

Colin

I was thinking along the same lines, except even further south. Some of the rebels could easily escape down to South America, or it could turn out that they were being backed by FARC (I don't think taking them on would offend anyone's sensibilities ?). Plenty of scope for varied scenery, breathtaking mountain ranges,cliffs, jungle, desert too I think (I suck at geography).

Do you really want to spend ages edging through foliage and trees only to be gunned down by an unknown and unseen enemy or to blindly stumble head on into a patroll that wipes you out immediately because to be honest that's what a 'Realistic' jungle environment would entail.

FarCry had some of the densest forests yet seen in a game and as patchy as that was it still got visually restrictive sometimes.

When you put it like that, YES that's exactly what I want :)

The bits of Far Cry I enjoyed most were the ones where I could creep around in dense forest at night with a suppressed weapon. Far Cry made it a bit easy with the binos that could track everyone and the bad guys constantly shouting their heads off but it was fun all the same. GR has always had great sound, imagine how cool it would be creeping through a dark jungle, trying to pick out noises that don't belong, maybe a vehicle engine, footsteps, a cough, someone lighting a smoke, taking a dump etc. There's also the possibility of finding signs of passing patrols, footprints, broken branches etc (probably need an extra few gigs of ram to keep track of it all though). Besides, most of the enemies will be located in groups fairly close to objectives, or patrolling obvious routes close to tracks or roadways. And let's not forget all the advanced cross-comn stuff, UAVs wih thermal imaging etc.

has anyone READ clear and present danger? the movie does it little justice, the book is so much better!

-thats what i want in an expansion.

-intense jungles, moving at night, camping during day, assaulting little villages, destroying airfields used to transport drugs, and fighting larger units that your own.

-plus a bigger squad

-the other thing ive always wanted in a game is interactive training. being able to go to the range with ur squad and have them getting better, and working on tactics instead of just getting used to the weapons in the game like every GR so far, i think that would be amazing!

PS. if you havent read clear and present danger, you need to, itll make you scream JUNGLE!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep

And I have promises to keep.

And lots of men to kill before I sleep.

Robert Frost would be proud. :)

As far as what I would like...

It's difficult to say what ELSE we would like to see without knowing exactly what we will see in the original release. For me, I'm an MP person, so I would most like to see VARIETY in the maps in terms of landscape.

Urban

Desert -- looks like we may have these two covered

________

Mountains

Forest

Jungle

SNOW SNOW SNOW

RAIN RAIN RAIN

NIGHT NIGHT NIGHT

I played UT2K4 for just a couple of weeks, but some of the maps were gorgeous. My favorite map in UT2K4 was a map on a cliffside with the ocean below, and it's during a storm. Beautiful. The first time I saw it, my first thought was "wow, I'd like to play GR on this map."

Again, variety. Show us what you can do. EXPLORE what you can do. If you loved developing it, we'll love playing in it.

--Logos

-the other thing ive always wanted in a game is interactive training. being able to go to the range with ur squad and have them getting better, and working on tactics instead of just getting used to the weapons in the game like every GR so far, i think that would be amazing!

That would be cool.

it would be cool, but real training is not fun until it's over. It is a nutroll. It is a heavily choreographed production that created the phrase, "hurry up and wait." It is assessed, planned, rehearsed, executed, evaluated. Then it is assessed, planned, rehearsed......you get the idea. The training cycle never ends.

The good news is that the only battle drill you would ever need to train on in this game is battle drill 1.a, Squad attack. It incorporates "reac to contact" and a few others. I don't think young players are willing to do what is necessary to actually train on this task. It also requires the use of a SAW or 240, and guys with slow connections are always complaining about lag. Until people can use suppressive fire weapons without having a 14 year old cyber personality complain about how your slowing the connection down, there won't be realistic training.

Edited by Tortfeaser

What about plainclothes missions? Reading Chris Ryans books, he often has SAS troops undercover doing stuff in an urban setting, what about this?! Then they could be set anywhere, and you'd have the challenge of deciding whether so and so was an enemy or not etc.

Just my input.

Oh, and Clear and Present Danger rocks. :D