Serellan's GDC Session Slides Online

CR6

Christian "Serellan" Allen (GR2 Game Designer) presented the lecture "Navigating the Minefields: Military Accuracy in Tactical Shooters" at the recent 2005 Game Developers Conference. His session had a great turnout, and now Serellan has generously allowed the PowerPoint slides from his presentation to be available to the community here.

http://files.3dretreat.com/file.asp?fileid=628

It's very informative and one of my favorite parts is when Serellan talks about dealing with "grognards" :lol:

Definitely gives us some insight into what research goes into developing a game like GR2.

Here's the introduction to Serellan's GDC session from the official GDC website:

Navigating the Minefields: Military Accuracy in Tactical Shooters

Speaker: Christian Allen (Game Designer, Red Storm Entertainment)

Time/Date: Friday (March 11, 2005) 2:30pm — 3:30pm

Track: Game Design

Format: 60-minute Lecture

Experience Level: Intermediate - Basic familiarity or some experience.

Description: Military-themed shooters are a large part of today’s games market, and as more “tactical realistic” titles crowd the marketplace, the line between simulation and game is blurred. Real life often conflicts with what makes games fun, and it is a challenge to combine the perception of what happens in the military with what is exciting and satisfying for the player. With a setting based in a world of jargon and details, there are many pitfalls and challenges to designing in the realm of military shooters.

This talk focuses on the techniques that designers can use to ensure that military shooters are exciting and fun, while avoiding common accuracy mistakes. With a consistent gaming world model, proper attention to detail, and a good use of resources, you can mold your title into a game that takes advantages of the genre and appeals to both niche fans and mainstream audiences.

Idea Takeaway: As the competition in the tactical shooter genre increases, more detailed and accurate games stand ahead of their rivals. The audiences takes away the core techniques, challenges, and details involved in creating a military-themed shooter.

Intended Audience and Prerequisites: This session is aimed at game developers working on or aspiring to work on military themed games, particularly in the tactical shooter genre. Writers, marketing professionals, and military consultants will also benefit.

I originally posted this additional Red Storm-related GDC news in the GR2 Console forum, but I don't think that forum gets as much traffic this forum does, so I'll post it here:

GR2 Redux Article from GDC, Production Challenges for GR2

Outstanding article (free registration required) for those of you who are curious about what happens "behind the scenes"

http://www.gamasutra.com/gdc2005/features/...andler_01.shtml

Nice presentation.  Serrelllan, you sure spend allot of time in the (PC) forums for the Lead designer of the xbox GR2. Hum.

Yup he does, he takes an actice intrest in the community, and its great! Just one more reason why RSE is the best development studio out there.

Yup, id have to say it always puts a good feeling and smile on my face everytime i come here and see serellan, psekula, or geridak viewing the forums. BTW whos geridak?

Hmmm... I just got an idea! (Im sure theres acouple people saying "ohh great..." But please read on.

RSE is the best :thumbsup:

And I, based on my own curiosity, think it would be absolutly awsome if GR.net was able to do a special feature for their site. Something along the lines of "Getting to know RSE"

It could be one big article about their emploies, general intrests and specific jobs. Or mabey a weekly thing, each week being a new employee. It would be a great read, and something Im sure many fans around here would appreciate.

hmmm....

:yes:

Hmmm...  I just got an idea!    (Im sure theres acouple people saying "ohh great..." But please read on.

RSE is the best  :thumbsup:

And I, based on my own curiosity, think it would be absolutly awsome if GR.net was able to do a special feature for their site. Something along the lines of "Getting to know RSE"

It could be one big article about their emploies, general intrests and specific jobs. Or mabey a weekly thing, each week being a new employee. It would be a great read, and something Im sure many fans around here would appreciate.

hmmm....

:yes:

OK, the first person you get to interview is John Sonedecker who used to work for RSE.

Doh!. Still, he would be a great place to start. She could get an insight of if what he was talking about then is what he sees now and compare that with how it was when he was with RSE. Remember, that was Battleborne title we were interviewing him about.