Obsidian Edge - a mod for FarCry

ruggbutt

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why don't you get Far Cry - you must be able to pick it up cheap on eBay by now I would've thought. It's an excellent game in its own right and this mod is gunna rock, I divine :yes:

We've decided against releasing a public beta folks, but that's not necessarily bad news. The code is complete so it no longer qualifies as a beta. We'll be releasing the Obsidian Edge Demo in the next few weeks. Currently we're only waiting on the weapon animations, the rest is done. We'll be giving you new weapons in place of some of the old ones. The Marine Corps KaBar will be replacing the machete, and the attack animation is more of a "stab" instead of the "slice" of the machete. We will have the XM8 to replace the OICW. It has single shot and full auto, as well as a killer red dot reticle which is standard fare on the stock rifle. The shotgun will be the Benelli M1. And we've replaced the rocket launcher w/the AT4. It's a one shot rocket launcher that is non reloadable. Certain player classes can only carry certain weapons, so you have to choose your kits according to your gameplay style and also what works best on that particular map.

As I stated above, all that is holding us up now are the animations and we're on the way w/those. Here's an animated gif to show you the AT4 details (and activation sequence) up close. Cheers to Prozac360, Slack-Jaw and Radcliff for their work on this part of the mod.

Jack, we have two in Australia that are playing on our server in Arizona and they are having no problems getting kills. Even w/their "high" pings. We've fixed a whole bunch of the errors that existed in original FC multiplayer. Also, we have added a local commands choice in our custom server GUI. This means that if you're hosting and playing on the same machine, you just point and click on the things you want to adjust in the server. No more typing commands into the console.

When I say that OE is a different game, I mean it all the way around. ;)

Edited by ruggbutt

• 2 weeks later...

importing weapon models is still giving us some trouble.

good news thoe, by popular demand the first person weapon view is now optional.

all u have to do is go into options and turn it on or off :rocky:

Edited by Prozac360

We just got the code from Crytek to put cooking of hand frags back in. You could do so in the first m/p beta (I was a tester), but after the game was released I deleted the two beta versions we got. Now we have the code back and it should work. I'll post updates intermittantly.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe take a look first and them make up your mind, a lot of people have been playing it for a while now and their opinion is that it is that good..... :rocky:

Looking forward to getting some games with larger crowds now.... :thumbsup:

It's 8 maps, 2 gametypes. In the final we'll have close to 30 maps and 3 gametypes. First person weapon view is locked out right now, we've had some issues w/the hands rendering too dark but we're on top of it.

Sup, we're trying to get someone to do s/p for all 30 maps. Some don't wanna take on such a daunting task. If anyone wants to take a shot at it we're all for it. As for my "out GR's" comment I meant the m/p aspect, as IMHO m/p is what kept GR alive all this time. I have members of 10 old school GR squads that laddered on 3 different ladders that have compared it favorable or better than GR m/p. It's not just me saying it, but I do agree w/them.

FarCry is now in the $15-$20 range, and the s/p in stock FC is awesome. Yeah, there are monsters in the plot but the AI is better than most and it's difficult on realistic settings. Since OE is free, you get a two-fer (two fer one). We've had our server busy for going on 24 hours now, and alot of people are saying they love it. It's up to you guys to decide if you wanna grab FC or not, but you don't have much to lose.

I love GR w/all my heart, and UBI just about killed me w/the cancellation of GR2. Trust me guys, OE more than fills that gap.

Sup, we're trying to get someone to do s/p for all 30 maps.  Some don't wanna take on such a daunting task.  If anyone wants to take a shot at it we're all for it.  As for my "out GR's" comment I meant the m/p aspect, as IMHO m/p is what kept GR alive all this time.  I have members of 10 old school GR squads that laddered on 3 different ladders that have compared it favorable or better than GR m/p.  It's not just me saying it, but I do agree w/them.

No, I don't doubt that. It's simply that many players, such as myself, are/were in GR purely for the SP/coop. I understand completely that it's a MP mod first, and that's completely valid, but a lot of players won't really want that (a lot will, of course).