Ruin's Countdown

Ruin

Today marks 13 days until I being Mobilization for Iraq.

I'll try to keep you all updated along the way and what happens from now until April (when I expect to be in Iraq).

As it stands right now:

Dec 1 - Ft. Stewart, GA - Gunnery, CSWQ, IWQ and RIF.

Dec 23 - Dec 31 - Christmas Leave

Jan 1 - April TBD - Mobilization - Camp Shelby, MS; NTC, Ft. Irwin, CA; Green Ramp, Ft. Bragg, NC.

For those who don't know:

I'm a Cavalry Scout (19D) in the North Carolina National Guard. Those of you with some good Google-Fu could probably find my Brigade, Battalion, potentially even my Company if you work it out. Some stuff I'll try to keep on the down-low because I don't want to risk OPSEC in my attempts to keep my friends informed.

Anyway... here's me:

n59701712_30730168_8528.jpg

Not the greatest pic, I know. Oh, that PFC becomes SPC next month - woohoo! That was at AT at Camp Shelby in May. Did take a pic this past weekend, but it's not great.

Well... time to get back to packing.

Cameron,

Stay safe. Have fun...and more importantly, GET SOME! Go forth and shoot some bad people in the face.

Thanks guys. I'll start a blog at some point, maybe not until January.

Dude, you might want to think twice about this. I mean, just blog about your life or whatever, just don't blog about things that you do there. Think OPSEC and PERSEC.

EDIT: You're cav? Got your spurs yet?

Edited by xG5kdo

Great replies you guys! First... thanks, to all of you.

WK: I'm a driver, but I'm sure I'll rotate around, so it'll be easier to keep from getting those M2 thumbs, haha.

Dav: That's the goal. We leave as one, and all come back as one. :)

XG5: No spurs yet. We're talking about doing a Spur Ride in country, but we'll see. Might have to wait until we come back. The debate about the blog is how much internet access I'll have. This might lead to a new post in a separate forum.

Durka: I bought a Camera just for Iraq. There will be some, no worries.

Saint: Ole PFC Me getting a treat from LT you in country, my my that would be special. :D How long are your tours. I know you just got in recently, so you must have relatively short ones. We go for 12 months. Just reduced from 15 back in August.

Saint: Ole PFC Me getting a treat from LT you in country, my my that would be special. :D How long are your tours. I know you just got in recently, so you must have relatively short ones. We go for 12 months. Just reduced from 15 back in August.

This blog page may answer some of your questions. :thumbsup: I tune in to this page daily. Interesting read, IMO.

Cam,

Have you set up your kit? Do you have a lot of COS stuff or use all issue stuff?

If you haven't already, I suggest you head over and sign up at Lightfighter.net. The board is populated by a lot of AD .mil types (not all HSLD SOF types, trust me. There are even some Cav guys in there, including a few 19Ds) and is chock full of useful information for deploying soldiers. There are threads on weapons, on how to set up your load, on what load works and what doesn't in Iraq and A-stan.

Check it out at least :thumbsup:

Thanks XG5,

I'll take a look.

Right now I'm still waiting on the rest of my TA-50 to be issued before I start fine-tuning my kit. Because I'm in a truck, I expect to keep everything on my chest/stomach. Don't want anything in drop-leg, and nothing on the sides or back. I've got a few MOLLE Camelbaks that I'll square away with some pouches too. Also how my kit is designed will depend on whether or not drivers or dismounts will get the M203. Still waiting on that.

Thanks XG5,

I'll take a look.

Right now I'm still waiting on the rest of my TA-50 to be issued before I start fine-tuning my kit. Because I'm in a truck, I expect to keep everything on my chest/stomach. Don't want anything in drop-leg, and nothing on the sides or back. I've got a few MOLLE Camelbaks that I'll square away with some pouches too. Also how my kit is designed will depend on whether or not drivers or dismounts will get the M203. Still waiting on that.

If you're mounted, depending on your CoC, you might want to consider purchasing a chest rig/plate carrier to keep your IOTV as slick as possible. Guys in the forum said that most mounted soldiers do not use MOLLE Camelbaks since they can have as much water they want in the trucks. Um..that's just the info I get from the site. If you ask me about practical things, I can tell you how to set up your stuff for jungle fighting, but I guess that would be kinda useless for Iraq...hahahaha.

Good luck Cam.