WK wins Ubi GRAW competition!

Ubisoft have announced the winner of their very exciting competition to go and see Ghost Recon 3 in Germany at a huge Games Convention. We're extremely pleased to reveal the winner is GhostRecon.net long time Staff member Whiteknight77!

The trip includes a behind-closed-doors Press Event to see Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. It's an awesome prize, congratulations WK!

I'm so jealous!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my email entry to the contest.

I feel that I should be the one to try out the latest version of GR as I have voiced some very vocal objections as to how the game has evolved from what it was. When I first wrote about GR2, GRAW and New Coke, I had little idea how big it would explode to. People on PC fansite forums to XBox forums to developers themselves all have jumped on a bandwagon in a show of support for a game that was like no other.

People have listened to my words about GR for years and I have probably have been responsible for selling at least a hundred games in the past along with other UbiSoft games, just on my recommendations. The only reason why I wanted a PC was for a Tom Clancy game called Rainbow Six. I really got into it and soon wanted more. I received the Rainbow Six Collector's Edition as a Christmas gift and played my heart out for hours at a time. I enjoyed how the game played and how it felt. I felt as if I were actually a part of Team Rainbow while playing Rogue Spear.

Once a certain Scot got wind of a new Red Storm Entertainment title called Ghost Recon, he had a fansite up along with forums. I followed progress of the game of and on, but what I saw was really intriguing. I watched it's evolution from the original screenshots to it's final release from afar as I was still wanting to play Rogue Spear. Upon the release of the demo, I immediately downloaded it and tried it out. That very weekend, I put up an MP server and played it for over 12 hours with friends from coast to coast to around the world. We played all the game types that day and were absolutely drooling. When asked what I wanted for Christmas in 2001, I said Ghost Recon. I ended up buying the full game 2 weeks later as I couldn't wait till Christmas. I still got the one I asked for giving me 2 copies of it. We played for hours. I ran an MP server daily during my Christmas holidays from Christmas to New Years. My buddies and I could not get enough of Ghost Recon.

In the months that followed, I also bought the expansion packs and downloaded mods. We played every weekend completing missions and we got to know the game inside and out. I tried other games and demos as did my friends, but we all compared them to Ghost Recon. Did it match up to Ghost Recon's gameplay? Did it feel like GR? While others may have bought the odd game, I never did. I didn't find any I liked to try. RSE/Tom Clancy games were all I wanted to play in the FPS genre. I feel a chance for me to see and try out the game could be greatly beneficial to the game and GRIN.

WhiteKnight77

Are you ready to meet me? I will be fair, but I will report on things I like and dislike equally. Let's hope I see more that I like than not.

I feel a chance for me to see and try out the game could be greatly beneficial to the game and GRIN.

All I hear is "I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

Oh, WK, you are so, so very full of yourself. :yes:

Are you ready to meet me? I will be fair, but I will report on things I like and dislike equally. Let's hope I see more that I like than not.

I feel a chance for me to see and try out the game could be greatly beneficial to the game and GRIN.

All I hear is "I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

Oh, WK, you are so, so very full of yourself. :yes:

One thing you need to remember, I am fairly well respected around here. Just take a look around at all the Ghost Recon Classic sigs (or similar) around here. Ask anyone else around here what they think of me and see what they say.

Congrats WK.  I hope to at least see a picture of you sipping a classic Coke while playing!!

Wanna know a secret? I abhor Coke really. I live in Atlanta (home to Coke and it's headquarters and I do not like to drink it) and prefer Dr. Pepper instead. I drink 2 cases (48 12 ounce cans) of DP a week. I will drink Coke if there is nothing else to drink, but if available, it's DP. :blink:

I am gonna see about getting a 6 pack of coke in glass bottles for Bo though.

Dude i hope your hotel has email so we can get early reports. ;)

also, when you ask some tough questions don't let them wriggle out with PR double talk. Be like a bulldog and lock on even if it jacks them off a bit hehe.

If possible take a hi res digital camer and do the old 'spy in a foriegn country trick'. Pretend to take pictures of friends you make there but position them so hte screens with gameplay scenes ont hem are in view over their shoulders then we can zoom past them and look at the screen. ;)

Congrads WK and have fun.

I'm actually a bit surprised and also very pleased that they chose you despite you being a bit of a thorn in theirs side with the 'classic coke' campaign. It shows they dont mind and even appreciate a passionate voice.

Wanna hear the really sad part, I don't have a laptop or a decent digital camera. I am gonna buy a cheap disposable to get some pics with. I do have a scanner now soooooooo.

Yeah, I asked Hangtown if he was sure he wanted me to go and he said yeah, he was sure. I told him it could be a bad thing sending me, but he was adamant about me being myself. I won't pull any punches when it comes to questions (I need to print out the questions from the PC dev question thread and transcribe them to a notepad still). If my interview with JS is any indcation of what I can ask, you know I will be hardnosed when it comes to getting answers.

I look forward to what I think will be the "truth" as reported by MK - I may not like what I read, but I am really looking forward to what you see. If they can convince you, even a little that they are listening, it could be a sign of good things to come.

I am hoping that they do convince me that they are listening to us. I will report on what I see and good or bad, that is what it will be.

So far, on the Coke six pack I want to get, I am coming up empty. I could always bring a 20oz. with me, but I wanted the glass bottles that are hard to find (at least now they are for some reason).