American Civil War

Mamon

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent him an email a week ago and received no response :huh:

450 e-mails and counting. And that's the ones needing a response/action.

I seem to work well with reminders though :thumbsup:

Sorry for the delay - it is getting uploaded now, publicised before I got to bed.

to any looking at this thread for the first time; sorry that none of the pictures are up, it's because i have only 30MB of webspace and needed it all just to hold the mod <_< But seeing as how it's on fileplanet now i'll go ahead and put the pics back up soon.

Leave comments, have fun!

In referance to reloads:

Taken from The History Channels' "CONQUEST!":

"In order to be in George Washingtons' Army, you would have to be able to shoot at least 3 shots/minute."

That translates to roughtly 20 seconds/shot

The untrained men in the show only got off about 2 shots/piece, not counting misfires.

Also, in regards to the weapons used in the Civil war:

The ENFIELD was the main British weapon. While the model 1861 was there most of the time, didn't mean it was the standard. It was out of date, and in the process of being replaced at the time. While it was the most popular weapon of the time, it certainly wasn't the standard.

The Enfields, while slightly less popular, where considered to be standard. Unfortunately, only about 400k where introduced during the civil war, not quite as much as the Springfield. The British predominately used Enfields.

The Colt repeating rifle was essentailly a rifle/revolver. It was single action, and shot incredibly fast. Unfortunately, misfire where common, which disallowed widespread use of the gun.

Benchrest rifles where THE sniper rifles to have at the time. They weighed a whole lot (40lbs), but where one of the best things on the field. The British mostly used the Whitworth rifle, a British rifle imported directly from Britain.

Gatling guns and Repeating rifles WHERE available at the time, but the army saw them as a waste and didn't invest in them. The Gatling gun had also been long since invented, but again, was seen as a frivilous endeavor, as a sort of less-useful cannon. The army figured that grapeshot and cannonballs would be cause for about the same effect.

Hope this clears up a few things...and proves my extensive knowledge in firearms new and old! I could tell you more, but its already late, and I want to go to bed!

Most of this info is backed up at the webpage:

http://members.tripod.com/~ProlificPains/wpns.htm

Its where I pulled my numbers from.

--Harrm

to any looking at this thread for the first time; sorry that none of the pictures are up, it's because i have only 30MB of webspace and needed it all just to hold the mod <_< But seeing as how it's on fileplanet now i'll go ahead and put the pics back up soon.

That would be great :yes:

It all came down to math in those days. The British were expected to fire three rounds a minute. When well led, Such as with Wellington, they were unbeatable.

They were, I think the first army to use rifled muskets, but these rifles were used only by the Greenjackets,The first real light infantry regiment. The standard line troops used regular smooth bore muskets.

Most armies used smooth bore muskets, becouse they were faster to reload than rifled Muskets. The Light infantry however were better trained, and usually very good shots. There job was to make holes in the enemy line, and try to shoot Officers. Quite a few of the original Greenjackets were American loyalists.

Any way, Outstanding mod. Any plans to go back even further in history? I love those old flash in the pan, black powder guns.

I used the 1861 rifled Springfield for most Union soldiers and some Confederates, whilst a good number of Southerners were using the Enfield musket as it was already popular in the south before the war and great numbers were imported throughout the conflict. Read the "readme" file in the mod if you're interested in my historical decisions.

Any way, Outstanding mod. Any plans to go back even further in history? I love those old flash in the pan, black powder guns.

Hehe, I have no intention to at the moment but if this mod is popular enough and I get pressured enough, I may just make Ghost Recon: American Revolution 1776 :D

@ichadwick

Just make sure you have the latest version of WinRAR or WinACE and the unpacking will always work.

@Mamon

A way to help people as many for some reason only use WinZIP, which is pure crap, is to make the files self-extracting. You can still open it with WinRAR if you want or simply run the EXE as it is and it will ask where you want to put the files and then extract them. Easy installer. ;)