Any chance of a SP demo B4 release?

Anyone else hoping for an SP demo B4 the release? I am, GRiN is it possbile? Have you considered it?

I really have no idea how hard it is or isn't to put out a demo of game software so this may be more than a just question of marketing and company politics but I thought I would ask anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An SP demo would help my purchasing decision.

-jk

I gotta say, I agree with the statement above for sure.... Bcause, as it stands now, I will wait this out and hear what the reviews are and make a decision afterwards... SP and COOP are my two strong points on this release..

Edited by Stormin

I'm definately buying GRAW 2. My best modes are SP/COOP and just by watching the new dev diary I think it's gonna be a much bigger success than GRAW 1. But I'm not saying I don't like GRAW. When the SP demo came out for that my game kept crashing. Still does sometimes but I still enjoy playing it. And if GRAW 2's any improvement over it(which I think it is) then I'm definately buying it. Just by delaying it again shows me that GRIN cares about us PC gamers. Cause when the MP demo was released, a lot of people came on here to let GRIN know what they liked and disliked. I do think an SP demo would be a good thing to hold us over before the release. Releasing the demo after the game itself just wouldn't make sense to me.

I also want to ad that I am a SP/COOP player. I play adversarial once in a while to take a break just for something different to do. I do it for about twenty minutes, then I want to tear my hair out and curse as to why anyone enjoys it... then go back to SP again and start up again.

My preference is SP/COOP stuff, and GRAW left a bad impression with me that way. Linear SP missions, LIMITED COOP gameplay, and it took almost half a year after release to get firefight COOP out of it. Even then, it was left at v1.35 a largely buggy and unfinished product.

So far it seems as though SOME (definitely not ALL) of the concerns with GRAW have been addressed with GRAW2, and it is hence worth giving some consideration. After all, the things UbiShaft allowed GRIN to do right with GRAW, they did. Enough can't be said for Desmond's work with the sound, for instance.

And GRIN gave us Pesto, for crying out loud!

So GRAW2 deserves a day in court. And the SP demo will be that day for me, it seems. If it's still linear (I expect some bugs in a demo... not MANY but some), if the foliage still looks 16-bit, if the yellow mask layer is still there, etc.- well, then the demo will be the very tip of the Dachsund's tail ([GR] 4EVA!- which mission brief did THAT come from?). Good crew at GRIN, good fan community- all that's left is to overcome a demonstratedly crap publisher.

$.02 paid...

Well, after GRAW has been a disappointment in the long run for me, I want to see new things and a promising SP now. Therefor I don't just want people saying "Yeah, SP is awesome...", I want to try it myself. W/o SP-demo, GRAW 2 is a no-buy for me.

If it's still linear (I expect some bugs in a demo... not MANY but some), if the foliage still looks 16-bit....
I think you'll find it's linear in that certain objectives will have to be completed in order. However, it will be non-linear in that the objectives will have multiple approaches, and the AI spawn locations are random.

The foliage in GRAW 2 is drasticly improved over GRAW in appreance and function. They are surprisingly effective concealment. Anyone that has played more than a few minutes of the demo will tell you that.

... it will be non-linear in that the objectives will have multiple approaches, and the AI spawn locations are random.

The foliage in GRAW 2 is drasticly improved over GRAW in appreance and function. They are surprisingly effective concealment...

All good news. Encouraging. Still demand a demo...

Oh to see my COOP again. And to be with some of my friends. Ubi I'd be happy then. In Mexico. I'm goin back someday gonna stay in Mexico. Where the games are fine and bots ######es are mine in Mexico. Sorry was just listening to Blue Bayou by Roy Orbison and that jingle popped into my head.

I get a feeling that the whole SP/COOP GRAW 1 experience really cost Ubi / GRiN a lot of credibility capital with the fan base. That much shouldn't be a shock to anyone. I hope this thread is being read and understood by the "powers that be"... there are some of us who simply won't pony up another $60 just to find out if we like the game. For me, those days are done for most games and developers. Too much money to risk on a non-return item.

Give us a one-map demo to take for a spin... heck, I'd be okay if it were a smaller map that was created just for the demo so the story line isn't somehow compromised for the full retail version.

I have my hopes up for GRAW2, and that should be considered a miracle given how negative I was last year. I just hope my concerns over the multiple delays with no comment and the ravenous bugs in the closed beta and recent MP demo are not reason to seriously doubt the ability to pull off a solid retail launch of our favorite game platform.

Hey Rabbi! Long time!!! OGR4eva brotha! My sig line on blackfootstudios forum is a quote from you!

-jk

Callsign threepoint

@kretzj- I'm on my way over to see it as soon as I'm done typing this!

Wanted to pop in and agree wholeheartedly with you about the plopping-down of $60 hard-earned bucks after the abortion that was GRAW. V1.35 was good for a DEMO, maybe, but as the final retail product after YEARS to follow-up the GotY, [GR]? Even UboShaft's green machine had to realize the damage they'd incur to the long-term cash-cow-ness of the GR name.

No disrespect to GRIN for the job they did with what they were given. Yes, I'm a broken record- DES!!!!! GREAT SOUNDS!!!!! I hear (no pun intended) that it's even better in GRAW2. But if this game doesn't offer some good COOP and SP play to complement the purportedly-improved ADV MP modes, then it's the same failure that GRAW was.

And few will deny that GRAW failed. Long live [GR], long live NORG...