Does your team get killed ( or are you playing point man all the time)

I like this game, its growing on me, but it doesn't seem very tacital. I keep sending my team into the shadows behind me to keep them from getting shot. Mostly they cover me. Just occasionally I position them to fight. When they get killed I reload my last save.

Is this how you guys play, or do your teammates just get killed and you move on...?

I try to keep em alive but I really just do what you said.

I have noticed that the ghosts seem to have been programmed with different personalities (or maybe I'm imagining it :blink: )

Kirkland never seems to live for very long (theres just something about the way he does things that always ends in tears)

Allen seems to hang back and follows at too great a distance

But Brown seems the most useful and together character.

I find it best to play as the sniper (with mp5 secondary)

You seem to be able to protect your team better this way

Slightly off topic: I wonder if it's possible to mod the personalities/ programming of the friendly AI to make the team more like Brown?

I try to keep em alive but I really just do what you said.

I have noticed that the ghosts seem to have been programmed with different personalities (or maybe I'm imagining it :blink: )

Kirkland never seems to live for very long (theres just something about the way he does things that always ends in tears)

Allen seems to hang back and follows at too great a distance

But Brown seems the most useful and together character.

I find it best to play as the sniper (with mp5 secondary)

You seem to be able to protect your team better this way

Slightly off topic: I wonder if it's possible to mod the personalities/ programming of the friendly AI to make the team more like Brown?

You can play it like a semi-RTS game by using the tactical map and they can take out quite a few bogies if they dont get caught by surprise ...

If I can spot tangos on my tac map, I usually send my Ghosts in for the kill. It's all about setting up a good angle for them, so usually I'll have a couple waypoints so they approach a corner from a much more shallow angle. That keeps 'em from walking past the corner, oblivios to the threat.

Other than that, I find its useful to send them out ahead of me. I place one on each side of a street and advance them simultaneously. My sniper and I will bring up the rear. I'll usually do the building-to-building sweeps myself. That's where the computer AI gets in trouble the most.

I also play a fair bit of point man in those tight places, like Evo. But give them a lot of waypoints and stuff otherwise. It's a bit annoying when they don't follow my "cover" orders though - facing the wrong direction and stuff! :wall:

As for the personalities, I definately don't see Brown as the most "stable" one! He can start shouting like he's in the middle of a battle for no reason at all, getting all hyped up and stuff.

Maybe Allen stays further back because he is programmed to be a sniper?

Anyways, hopefully we'll be seeing some changes in this stuff once that Realism mod comes out! :thumbsup:

I never let them do anything, all they seem good for is dying...

So I just do the all the dirty work myself, but then again, the dirty

work is what I got the game for in the first place ;-)

I wanna shoot the bots, not watch the bots shoot eachother...

Might as well rent a movie if thats your thing. But occassionally

I do let them cover a road while I move up or something like that.

All in all, my playstyle for SP is one-man-army and that army is me :)

the fact that you guys are able to utilize different leadership styles, and that you see different personalities in your AI team speaks volumes about the awesome work GRIN has done here.

I usually move my team and me at once simultaneously giving each one an order which usually consists of simply moving then covering. And one AI usually Brown goes otu farther and I move with him just in case everything heats up. I can't bring myself to let them do all the work i'm afraid they'll die so i go in.

I never equip sniper for anyone but always have a heavy machine gunner who is always Allen.

In terms of AI

Kirkland dies if given any risky orders.

Brown is the best cause he follows orders even if he screams.

Allen is well rounded.

Its weird though Allen is default Sniper but when I complete a mission the stats always say Kirkland was the best at Marksman,

One last thing can someone explain how the waypoint system works

Edited by Kakanater

Mostly I use the AI for 3 things. First is just to follow me and occasionaly they will take out a tango I miss. Second, I will send one ahead as sniper bait, or around a blind corner. This usually gets them shot, but it keeps me alive. Third, I will set them to cover a known scripted assualt. If a bunch of OPFOR are gonna come rushing around a corner when I pass that car, I'll tell them to cover that corner.

Very ballsy :rofl: , but I agree, standing back and letting them do the work can get old, so if the situation is dangerous, I send them in and provide cover fire if my health and location allow.

I congratulate the Grin team for coming up with a Decent set of AI’s.. However, here are the three big things which I dislike about the AI’s..

I have told them to shoot a tank with a Zues from a good distance.. Then watched them as they run right up to the turret and start throwing rocks at it.. HELLLO!! I then get mad and shoot them before they go flying up in the air..

The ORDER! FOLLOW ME.. means.. follow me.. Take the same path I do…

It does not mean, Go all the way to the other side of the village find as many enemies as you can and die on a different screen.. #3 who ever that is, the absolute worse at taking the long way home.. ENEMY SPOTED! WHAT?? Whats your 20? HOLLY CRIPE What are you doing over there.. Then 10 minutes of tactical map retrieval. Move HERE.. NO HERE.. NOOOOOOOOOOOO HEREEEEE!!! RIGHT ###### HERE!!! LOOK AT MY FINGER… HERE..God help you, because I can’t! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Insubordination.

Follow me does not mean turn around walk backwards and find a house to get stuck in.

Follow me does not mean find a really tight spot to get stuck in on a different screen and go play “don’t ask don’t tell†While Captain Mitchell is waiting for you at the re-supply

Point two screens away. And I have to waist 20 minutes to go back and find them stuck on a box in a dark ally and shoot them for wasting my time..

And last when the big Helo is Raining rockets down on my parade.. And there are 3 ghosts with Zues.. it would be wonderful if one of the twinks would pull out the big guns, and shoot the darn helo instead of saying.. IM HIT, THIS IS NOT GOOD, COVER ME..

REALLY!? THOSE AREN’T GUMDROPS IT’S SHOOTING AT YOU?! Well you could take that rocket launcher off your back.. and ohh I don’t know.. maybe.. yeah I know it’s a crazy idea.. but maybe you COULD SHOOT THE HELO DOWN!!

Because after dodging rockets for 20 minutes and bleeding to death, and reloading the mission 20 times.. I COVER THEM!! I COVER THEM IN A RAIN OF BULLETS.. and after they are dead.. I shoot them some more because they made me reload the mission 20 times because they won’t shoot the helo! IM ON YOUR SIDE! IM ON YOUR SIDE! NOOOOO If you where on my side I would not have died 20 times while you laughed at me dancing with the rockets!

Honestly, I would rather have the DRONE over those 3 dolts any day of the week.

And if it was a Drone with a few rockets and a mini gun.. OHH yeah.. who needs 3 ghosts..

Signed,

Dances with rockets !

And no I don’t have anger management issues..

I manage to loose my anger just fine! Hehe

I congratulate the Grin team for coming up with a Decent set of AI’s.. However, here are the three big things which I dislike about the AI’s..

I have told them to shoot a tank with a Zues from a good distance.. Then watched them as they run right up to the turret and start throwing rocks at it.. HELLLO!! I then get mad and shoot them before they go flying up in the air..

The ORDER! FOLLOW ME.. means.. follow me.. Take the same path I do…

It does not mean, Go all the way to the other side of the village find as many enemies as you can and die on a different screen.. #3 who ever that is, the absolute worse at taking the long way home.. ENEMY SPOTED! WHAT?? Whats your 20? HOLLY CRIPE What are you doing over there.. Then 10 minutes of tactical map retrieval. Move HERE.. NO HERE.. NOOOOOOOOOOOO HEREEEEE!!! RIGHT ###### HERE!!! LOOK AT MY FINGER… HERE..God help you, because I can’t! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Insubordination.

Follow me does not mean turn around walk backwards and find a house to get stuck in.

Follow me does not mean find a really tight spot to get stuck in on a different screen and go play “don’t ask don’t tell†While Captain Mitchell is waiting for you at the re-supply

Point two screens away. And I have to waist 20 minutes to go back and find them stuck on a box in a dark ally and shoot them for wasting my time..

And last when the big Helo is Raining rockets down on my parade.. And there are 3 ghosts with Zues.. it would be wonderful if one of the twinks would pull out the big guns, and shoot the darn helo instead of saying.. IM HIT, THIS IS NOT GOOD, COVER ME..

REALLY!? THOSE AREN’T GUMDROPS IT’S SHOOTING AT YOU?! Well you could take that rocket launcher off your back.. and ohh I don’t know.. maybe.. yeah I know it’s a crazy idea.. but maybe you COULD SHOOT THE HELO DOWN!!

Because after dodging rockets for 20 minutes and bleeding to death, and reloading the mission 20 times.. I COVER THEM!! I COVER THEM IN A RAIN OF BULLETS.. and after they are dead.. I shoot them some more because they made me reload the mission 20 times because they won’t shoot the helo! IM ON YOUR SIDE! IM ON YOUR SIDE! NOOOOO If you where on my side I would not have died 20 times while you laughed at me dancing with the rockets!

Honestly, I would rather have the DRONE over those 3 dolts any day of the week.

And if it was a Drone with a few rockets and a mini gun.. OHH yeah.. who needs 3 ghosts..

Signed,

Dances with rockets !

And no I don’t have anger management issues..

I manage to loose my anger just fine! Hehe

AHhAHaHAHhaHaHaHhAHAha!!!!! Most hilarious post ever!!!!! :D

ENEMY SPOTED! WHAT?? Whats your 20? HOLLY CRIPE What are you doing over there.. Then 10 minutes of tactical map retrieval. Move HERE.. NO HERE.. NOOOOOOOOOOOO HEREEEEE!!! RIGHT ###### HERE!!! LOOK AT MY FINGER… HERE..God help you, because I can’t!

You owe me one non-soda covered keyboard! :rofl:

Edited by Degamer

Well you could take that rocket launcher off your back.. and ohh I don’t know.. maybe.. yeah I know it's a crazy idea.. but maybe you COULD SHOOT THE HELO DOWN!!

True, true :rofl:

Anyway, GRINners, I know you have said it before, that the AI-ghost's won't go to the exact pixel you tell them to. Maybe you should change that so that they really move to the exact pixel, unless they end up in the line of fire. I'm no AI-programer but its just a thought.

:g_withgrin:

EDIT: Sure if you put the order on the wall they should of course move as close to that pixel as possible and not walk on the walls :P

Edited by Hockeystick

I don’t know maybe I am expecting too much.. Does anyone know how to record a movie of the game? I am just curious.. because I can not put into words how Dumb founded I am by the AI’s use of Military Intelligence..

I updated to v1.16 hoping that The AI would more appropriately identify the Targets.

I have played this mission 4 times today, with the same results..

AI’s DIEING.. I think it might be a Bug when using the ATTACK command in the Tactical map menu..

Scenario… Fierce resistance Check point 5. First objective.. Destroy to tanks in the court yard..

Blue Corner (Aplha Tango (north side of plaza), Bravo Tango( south side of plaza))

Red Corner (Kirkland, Pencil Stamper (Brown), Crayola(Allen) , The Hap’n Cap’n, and 2 tanks.) All players have ZUES..

Quick Recap.. 6 tank busters.. Two tanks.. Good odds?!

My Team approaches the palace from the SE corner of the palace..

They MOVE to a Safe point not in line of site is issued..

Crayola fails to follow orders.. Peaks around corner and gets shot.. IM HIT.. TAKING FIRE.. The order to move FAR away from the corner is issued..

The Fearless war cry IM HIT, IM HIT, TAKING FIRE..

OK THE MOVE ORDER TO MOVE EVEN FURTHER AWAY FROM THE CORNER IS ISSUED.. Soo he Naturally moves closer to the TANk..

“I knew the guy was section 8 when I caught him eating the crayons.. Capt. Crayola my finest officer.â€

Finally, I get HardRock away from the Tank, and get him to stop moving..

I issues the TEAM COMMAND.. STOP!

I move into position behind the Dumpster on the east side of the building..

I take my Zues and bust one Tank.. Bravo Tango Down.

(leaving Two good tanks and 3 Zues.) Odds Should be great..

I walk around to the WEST Side of the building with the dumpster on it..

I Get Apha tangos attention.. Hes firing at me..

I order the two tanks into the plaza from the west.. on the Tactical map..

I place them SMACK DAB in the middle of the plaza and give them orders to attack the Alpha tango on the Map.. They move into position.. And Sit there like mold on bread..

They are getting fired at.. I get the tanks attention.. Move them again..

Still no luck! They are Kissing cousins right now.. NOT FIRING..

Moving them all around commanding ATTACK THE ALPHA TANK..

Not happening.. So I figured I would use the Wonder twins, and maybe get lucky..

I slap the paste out of Pencils Stampers hands… Clean the paste off of his face, and point to his Rocket launcher.. and point to the Tank.. I keep the commands simple.. "MONGO SHOOT TANK".. "TANK go BOOM GOOD" "YOU go BOOM BAD" using the Tactical map.. I direct him to attack the tank.. I Am not joking.. he moves 10 feet from the tank.. shoots it with his gun… I CAN SEE THE BARREL ON THE TURRET SWING TO HIM… LOOK HIM RIGHT IN THE EYES! IM SCREAMING RUNNN FOREST RUNNNNN!!!! BOOOOOOOMMMM! The Tank Stamped his pencil. So alpha tango goes back to hammering on the tanks..

BOOM!!!! one tank down.. Still trying to get the last tank to shoot each other.. Not happening.. I Say SCREW IT.. ALL IN..

I tell the whole ghost team to move into position. Using the tactical map.. And TAKE THE TANK DOWN..

I watch on the tactical map as the run right up to the tank, and start throwing rocks at it..

They start yelling they are hit.. and it hurts.. and they want to go home to see mommy..

They run past the tank and keep shooting it with their guns..

######!! BOOM! Pencil stamper dies..

Finally, time to play monkey in the middle! I position the last tank in on the west end of the north road.. And Kirckland on the EASt END and Kirkland gets the GOAL!!..

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, I shoot him because I have to reload the game anyways because I lost 1 tank and 2 ghost in a fight that I should have won with no casualties.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!!

I played it a few other ways with similar results..

AI will run up to a tank if you command them to attack in tactical mode..

AI will not identify the TANK CORRECTLY AND USE THE ZUES ROCKET..

AI TANKS WILL NOT FIRE 80% of the time.

Signed,

Dances with Turrets.

P.S I did notice a marked improvement of the AI in HELO STOMPING.