GR:AW mission pack + GR 4 (PC THREAD)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is any thruth in that website posts, I 'd be happy to see GRiN as developer of GR4. I'm sure they have learned a lot by the mistakes in GRAW, and would make sure to avoid these in a sequel. :)

I'd say they should probably build it based on GRAW and release heaps of maps & weapons, improve damage models, optimise gameplay/netcode and above all make server options available to please all types of players (realism contra arcade... no death notification, realistic tracers, remove the reticule etc etc)

If they call it GR4 or expansion pack I don't care

whilst this may be old news in the sense that it came out last March, the confirmation and report date being Sept 5, 2006 tells me it's still rolling on. I noticed they don't list a developer so that is the million dollar question :hmm:

I remember this news or the leaked info but i came across this last night and thought..."ok, here we go."

Hopefully RSE 'cause those guys know how to make a game!!!! :thumbsup:

If there is any thruth in that website posts, I 'd be happy to see GRiN as developer of GR4. I'm sure they have learned a lot by the mistakes in GRAW, and would make sure to avoid these in a sequel. :)

I'd say they should probably build it based on GRAW and release heaps of maps & weapons, improve damage models, optimise gameplay/netcode and above all make server options available to please all types of players (realism contra arcade... no death notification, realistic tracers, remove the reticule etc etc)

I wouldn't say they were mistakes. Just not realizing how much the Gr community resists change and trying to accomodate some of the things we fought tooth and nail not to change.

As a game that only had 14 months to develop.. if i hadn't played GR1 i would have thought it was a great game out of the box. The Sp rocked and domination was fun... once i got past the "It's not GR1 stage" . It also had a basic dedicated server which though needed more functionality for an initial release (kick and ban would have done it)

Do to there support, and tutorials, and want to please us as the community I would definately buy an expansion pack from them. (It may be to quick for a GR4 though in 14 months again unless they are using the same engine and make it more of an expansion)

whilst this may be old news in the sense that it came out last March, the confirmation and report date being Sept 5, 2006 tells me it's still rolling on. I noticed they don't list a developer so that is the million dollar question :hmm:

I remember this news or the leaked info but i came across this last night and thought..."ok, here we go."

That would be an xbox game. Note they canceled GR2 for pc saying we wouldn't like it.

RSE is dead for pc. get over it ;)

Edited by ROCOAFZ

I wouldn't say they were mistakes. Just not realizing how much the Gr community resists change and trying to accomodate some of the things we fought tooth and nail not to change.

As a game that only had 14 months to develop.. if i hadn't played GR1 i would have thought it was a great game out of the box. The Sp rocked and domination was fun... once i got past the "It's not GR1 stage" . It also had a basic dedicated server which though needed more functionality for an initial release (kick and ban would have done it)

Do to there support, and tutorials, and want to please us as the community I would definately buy an expansion pack from them. (It may be to quick for a GR4 though in 14 months again unless they are using the same engine and make it more of an expansion)

That would be an xbox game. Note they canceled GR2 for pc saying we wouldn't like it.

RSE is dead for pc. get over it ;)

Well that's sad because they (RSE) DO know how to make a great game ala GR. I still can't believe GRIN didn't realize that they would have to impliment [GR] into GRAW for the hardcore GR people from the begining. I've been with RSE since the begining ala R6. GR is R6 with a major makeover for the better. GRAW is GRAW. When & if GRIN gets it right you won't see me in these forums.....I'll be too busy playing. But for now I have to check in to see if what should've been in the begining is here yet. ala patch after patch. I wanted something new but I also wanted GR to be GR.

Here is a question. Is GRAW for the Xbox 360 like [GR]? From what Ive seen, not really. It may have been made a tad better since they had tons more time, and only had one platform to cater to, but to me it is nothing like [GR]. So the argument of RSE being the better choice to make the next game is just rediculous.

If RSE would have made GRAW for the PC we would have basically the same game the Xbox 360 has, and that is not what I, or the [GR] community would have wanted. GRIN was hired to take the ideas from the RSE version, and make it into something PC gamers would enjoy, and they did an outstanding job.

RSE did an amazing job with [GR] and the expansions to follow, but from the looks of it, they moved on from that format and tried something new for the Xbox 360 to show off what it could do, and the PC gamers are paying for it because Ubi refused to stray to far from the formula when the asked GRIN to "port" it over. Not a true port, but the ideas were.

I think some ppl need to get off RSE's you know what, and realize we are playing their game, just redone to make it more enjoyable for us by GRIN, who is bending over backwards to help us.

amen to that,

on another note, maybe we all forget that ubi directs what kind of game they want to sell, we here might be the hardcore fans, but we are not the big dollars

for all i know ubi did us a favor with grin because seeing how RSE made graw and gr2 i'd rather have grin

they are also limited by what ubi wants them to do and how much they may give in to us hardcore whiners

RSE did an amazing job with [GR] and the expansions to follow, but from the looks of it, they moved on from that format and tried something new for the Xbox 360 to show off what it could do, and the PC gamers are paying for it because Ubi refused to stray to far from the formula when the asked GRIN to "port" it over. Not a true port, but the ideas were.

I think some ppl need to get off RSE's you know what, and realize we are playing their game, just redone to make it more enjoyable for us by GRIN, who is bending over backwards to help us.

So then if GR:AW PC is RSE's work re-done/ported, where are the options, and choices, Serellan and the team provided the 360 gamers? I don't see it anywhere. I don't even see the choices that the GR1 team provided us, 5 years ago. Where is the IWS intergration in MP? This title is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, right? All I see in PC MP is a mini-map and diamonds (nothing more than IFF names). Doesn't seem very "advanced" to me, where are the drones, and other features, the name implies? I see them on 360 MP, as options, but not on PC. Red Storm's work redone? More like ommitted or ignored. This title (PC) isn't evolution, it's a step backwards.

I've all but given up on GRAW PC. I gave GRIN the chance to finish the title, and in my eyes its still very far from being there. Right now its nothing I would want to play for 6 more months, let alone 4 years. Red Storm at least provided 360 gamers choice, they may have shipped with only 10 maps, but you can still change how you want to them to play. GR:AW PC limits you to a few maps, and a few gametypes. Problem is, its not like you can choose to play every gametype on every map. Your handcuffed. Not so on 360, or hell even GR2 and SS.

Knock Red Storm all you want, you personally may have hated/hate GR2, SS and GRAW, but all of those titles give gamers choice. GR:AW PC is practically choiceless, even after all of the patches/map pack. I don't want to, and shouldn't have to, rely on modders to give me more choice like some people are saying.

Last year GR:AW PC showed promise, many people thought it would easily be a step above 360. I heard and read things that lead me to believe we would recieve a finished, evolved Ghost Recon experience. I even stood up for GRIN on other forums in regards to the lack of MP information. I thought them being gamers themselves, being aware of what the Ghost Recon fanbase wanted and expected in a sequel, that there shouldn't be a worry. I look pretty dumb right now, its taken months to get just a little variety into the MP portion of the game.

If there is one thing I've really learned about the RSE of today, Serellan in particular, is that choice is an important part of their titles. If Red Storm's logo isn't on the box for GR4, I'll be extremely hesistant to purchase the game. With them at least I know what I'm going to get, choice and quality. I don't think any other studio, except for one, has a handle on this series and fanbase to create a worthy GR title.

So then if GR:AW PC is RSE's work re-done/ported, where are the options, and choices, Serellan and the team provided the 360 gamers? I don't see it anywhere. I don't even see the choices that the GR1 team provided us, 5 years ago. Where is the IWS intergration in MP? This title is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, right? All I see in PC MP is a mini-map and diamonds (nothing more than IFF names). Doesn't seem very "advanced" to me, where are the drones, and other features, the name implies? I see them on 360 MP, as options, but not on PC. Red Storm's work redone? More like ommitted or ignored. This title (PC) isn't evolution, it's a step backwards.

I've all but given up on GRAW PC. I gave GRIN the chance to finish the title, and in my eyes its still very far from being there. Right now its nothing I would want to play for 6 more months, let alone 4 years. Red Storm at least provided 360 gamers choice, they may have shipped with only 10 maps, but you can still change how you want to them to play. GR:AW PC limits you to a few maps, and a few gametypes. Problem is, its not like you can choose to play every gametype on every map. Your handcuffed. Not so on 360, or hell even GR2 and SS.

Knock Red Storm all you want, you personally may have hated/hate GR2, SS and GRAW, but all of those titles give gamers choice. GR:AW PC is practically choiceless, even after all of the patches/map pack. I don't want to, and shouldn't have to, rely on modders to give me more choice like some people are saying.

Last year GR:AW PC showed promise, many people thought it would easily be a step above 360. I heard and read things that lead me to believe we would recieve a finished, evolved Ghost Recon experience. I even stood up for GRIN on other forums in regards to the lack of MP information. I thought them being gamers themselves, being aware of what the Ghost Recon fanbase wanted and expected in a sequel, that there shouldn't be a worry. I look pretty dumb right now, its taken months to get just a little variety into the MP portion of the game.

If there is one thing I've really learned about the RSE of today, Serellan in particular, is that choice is an important part of their titles. If Red Storm's logo isn't on the box for GR4, I'll be extremely hesistant to purchase the game. With them at least I know what I'm going to get, choice and quality. I don't think any other studio, except for one, has a handle on this series and fanbase to create a worthy GR title.

Uh.. drones are there just not in TVT and OGZR. I think they are available in GRAW CO-OP and know they are in SP.

The crosscom was more advanced but we shot it down so they changed it.

The armor is more advanced based on the real thing... that is why we can take multiple hits.

The weapons are newer and possible upincoming ... so they are advanced now also.

And now the Gr1 ret does nothing so i am assuming that is advanced also (J/k there)

Amen to that.

I think your failing to see my point. The game we are playing today is based on what RSE did for the Xbox 360. The reason you dont see the options and everythng else you stated was also mentioned in my post. Not enough time. Plain and simple.

I would imagine had GRIN been in devolpement the same amount of time as RSE for 360, we would have had the options, maps, or whatever else you could think of. But GRIN was hired after the fact, and had to rush a game on Ubi's time clock.

Look at the complaints about GRAW PC. And you can find a valid reason for everything that went wrong, without even mentioning GRIN's name. This does not include bugs, because that is on them, but they are fixing them the best they can.

Point being, we are playing a game based on an RSE game, that never stood a chance no matter who made it, for it to be like [GR]. And to blame GRIN for that is just downright hilarious.

Oh and where in the world did you get the idea that I disliked RSE? Im a huge fan of theirs. Always will be. But to say that the Xbox 360 version would have passed for [GR] sequel on the PC does not fly.

My argument here is not to bash RSE, I would have no right to, as they did nothing wrong. Im just saying GRIN took their basic layout and converted it to a PC game with way less time. And neither of them are ODR sequels.

Edited by Judge_Recluse

Red Storm at least provided 360 gamers choice, they may have shipped with only 10 maps, but you can still change how you want to them to play. GR:AW PC limits you to a few maps, and a few gametypes. Problem is, its not like you can choose to play every gametype on every map. Your handcuffed.

.....AW PC is practically choiceless, even after all of the patches/map pack. I don't want to, and shouldn't have to, rely on modders to give me more choice like some people are saying.

I agree, it beats me why UBI/GRIN put limitations in GRAW that has such huge MP potentials.

Is it all about time constraints or what happened really?

For example:

- Why limit the maps (which all are great) to a few for each game mode? (gamer's need options)

- Why limit the # of spawn zones on each map? (gamers need options) 4 zones on each map, a west, south, east and north spawn zone should make gameplay more variable with a random insertion option.

(There are also several similar issues in the beta new gamemodes that I can not mention here)

- Why not include MP server side options so settings can be tweaked how players want to play the game? Example: realistic tracers, no death and kill notifications, remove friendly markers, remove reticule (or group it together and make a 'realism' and an 'arcade' option)

These simple options would have made most categories of players pleased.

Even though GRAW has several great improvements compared with [GR], it's like 5 years backwards on other areas...

I am though still hopeful, if we give constructive critisism and the devs stay on the forums, we can only hope for further improvements in possible expansions. The GRIN guys seem all like really nice fellas and I really think they do their best. They are new to the genre and I wouldn't expect everything to be perfect... I think they listen and learn fast, and I'd definitely like to see more products from them (like AW2).

RSE, the same group who made Rainbow Six: Lockdown, so I'll pass on the RSE group (especially since the ones who created R6 and GR are mostly, if not all, gone).

I think your failing to see my point. The game we are playing today is based on what RSE did for the Xbox 360. The reason you dont see the options and everythng else you stated was also mentioned in my post. Not enough time. Plain and simple.

No, I'm not missing your point. You are saying GR:AW PC is based on RSE's GR:AW 360. Ummm, it isn't. PC, 360, Xbox and PS2 all follow a shared storyline (which GRIN did not have to prepare), other than that the titles play very differently (two of them bombed, hard).

You like to point out time being an issue, you do realize that PC started pre-production by June of 2004, and full production in November of that year? RSE, as well as other developers, at the most were working with an Xbox 360 ALPHA KIT at that time, while GRIN already had PC hardware in front of them. At E3 2005 I was told that PC was ahead of 360 because GRIN could just chug along, the 360 team had to wait on M$. . .

I would imagine had GRIN been in development the same amount of time as RSE for 360, we would have had the options, maps, or whatever else you could think of. But GRIN was hired after the fact, and had to rush a game on Ubi's time clock.

They were ahead of 360 at E3 2005, and the whole group of games were supposedly delayed the first time (October 7, 2005) because of 360, not PC (release moved from November '05 to February '06). So 360 bought PC extra time, if what we were being told through press releases and interviews is true. Logically that means GRIN should have had more time to add, not just finish. According to what WK was told in August of 2005, GRIN was aiming for beta (feature complete) by October 2005. You see where I am going with this right? They had all of the intentions to ship the title (PC) by the end of 2005.

I find it funny how in October '05 some people were blaming Red Storm for holding up PC after the first delay, now they are telling people to be patient almost a year later. I can't imagine what the title would have been like if it had been released in February 2006, let alone November 2005. Patience is wearing thin with me, for valid reasons.

Look at the complaints about GRAW PC. And you can find a valid reason for everything that went wrong, without even mentioning GRIN's name. This does not include bugs, because that is on them, but they are fixing them the best they can.

Really? Domination in the GR:AW PC form is solely in GRIN's title, and it shipped as the only TvT gametype. Most people would have preferred 2-3 less "ambitious" gametypes, on ship, to just the one. Another thing is the "Mitchells down, game over" issue in coop. How can anyone but the developer be accountable for that? Red Storm games, even the ones with a hero character, do not have that problem *coughLockDowncoughcough*. I could go on if I wanted to.

I would be drawn and quartered if I had said RSE wasn't accountable for the issues with Lockdown.

Point being, we are playing a game based on an RSE game, that never stood a chance no matter who made it, for it to be like [GR]. And to blame GRIN for that is just downright hilarious.

We are playing a game that has a common theme, not based on solely RSE's work. GRIN are the people on the line who made the game, they bear some of the blame. Yes more time would sure of hell helped them, there is no denying that. More time for RSE in March of 2005 would have helped another project as well. . .

But seriously, even if the game had been delayed until August of this year, I would still be under whelmed. The content we have now still falls behind GR1 (on ship) and I would still be as sorely disappointed as I am now, if not more. We are now just getting firefight and recon, we are now just getting a few COOP maps, we are now just getting a standalone server, we are now just getting some sort of admin abilities etc. Of the four I mentioned GR2, SS and 360 have/had three, on ship.

Oh and where in the world did you get the idea that I disliked RSE? Im a huge fan of theirs. Always will be. But to say that the Xbox 360 version would have passed for [GR] sequel on the PC does not fly.

The context in which I was using the word "you" was in a general sense, not directly aimed towards you. Sorry for the confusion.

I am though still hopeful, if we give constructive critisism and the devs stay on the forums, we can only hope for further improvements in possible expansions. The GRIN guys seem all like really nice fellas and I really think they do their best. They are new to the genre and I wouldn't expect everything to be perfect... I think they listen and learn fast, and I'd definitely like to see more products from them (like AW2).

I too am hopeful for the future of the Ghost Recon series. Constructive criticism is one of the most important things the fan base can offer, Red Storm has been here for years because of that. I appreciate all of the work put in by both RSE, and GRIN, I really do. However, I still feel Red Storm are the ones, who if given the chance, can bring the PC Game of the Year status back to this series.

RSE, the same group who made Rainbow Six: Lockdown, so I'll pass on the RSE group (especially since the ones who created R6 and GR are mostly, if not all, gone).

Actually if you compare the credits for both GR1 and GR:AW you will see many of the same names. There have been a lot of additions however, the studio has grown. I will admit they have lost some key people like John Sonedecker, but have also added some great people like Christian "Serellan" Allen.

I can only go by info I have read, and when GRIN says themsleves they only had 14 months to make the game, then I can see why teh game was not complete. If RSE had less then 14 months, then hats off to them, cuz thats insane.

Ill be honest, it does not matter what is said here, I still dont agree with the people who blame GRIN for GRAW not being an [GR] sequel.

As for Domination being released, thats a decision error, and not a game flaw, GRIN was trying to offer something different to us, knowing they were not going to be able to finish the game in time. Oh well so be it, they are making it up now.

The truth is though, if the game was launched with all the gametypes it has now ( including patch #3) people would still be mad since the game is not an [GR] sequel, which GRIN cant be blamed for. So who is to blame for the gameplay and the Mexico scenario that we all seem to not like as much? Ubi?

Someone said earlier in this thread that PC gamers "resist change" and "new" ideas, here is the type of change I resist.

Nearly 6 years ago game "x" was released, this game was so popular it is still played today, and in its time was the best game of its type - period, and some would say has not been beaten since. It had great single and multiplayer environments, was so moddable that people made hundereds (if not thousands) of mods which added to its longevity. It was good enough from an admin tools stand point to allow League and ladder play, with some chance of catching cheaters and hackers. It's game play was so intense and addictive that many people I knew in my clan and others would play it for hours every day!. Thousands would be online at a time.

Not long ago game "Y" was released as a "new" version of game "X". I upspec'd my pc to dual video cards and new dualcore processor, and I bought game "Y" 10 seconds after it hit my local game shop. sight unseen, as it was the NAMED SEQUEL to my all time favourite game.

The new version "Y" has none of the addictive action of the original, most of the finer details that made game "X" easy and great fun to play are not there, the game is not as multiplayer friendly so only about 100 or so people play it online at any one time, and in short is only about half the actual game that game "X" was when it came out!.

I have absolutly no agenda toward any of the companies involved, I dont "hate" or "like" anyone involved as i dont know anyone involved cept me, but really, how can anyone call this progress?.

If this is "change" and "New" then yes - me and my pc resist it, as if I am going to make any diff to anything, but its just FYI......

JF

PS> I still hope that one of these days someone will make game "Y" with updated graphics and all the "fruit" available nowadays, cause they will have my $75 in a heartbeat.

Edited by JFSebastian

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it's going to be the same, or even just as good. This applies to everything, from movies to upgraded software to vehicles. The previous version may give it more publicity and higher standards, but that doesn't mean it's going to pan out like many hope.

Not sure how many times it has to be said (at least once more it seems) but GR2 was the sequel to [GR]. So it never made it to PC publishing. Oh, well. It's like the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie being released on PSP only, no DVD. Some twelve year old was giddy for like ten minutes, until he outlasted his attention span and moved on to WoW:Source. GRAW is a sequel to NOTHING.

Serious. Hard pill to swallow? You should try doxicyclene. (SP?) Gives ya thrush. Pointless...

Anyhow, GRAW is to the Ghost Recon name what Jedi was to Star Wars, in that it's the third movie where many purists thought there was never any need for even a second one, and just wanted the original done over with better special effects and an ATTRACTIVE princess Leia. (Not a Carrie Fisher fan, though she rocked it in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back)...

GRAW is best judged as its own game, bearing the GR name but in no way bearing any resemblance to [GR] (Except for SFC Joe Ramirez, who showed in the vanilla and IT [GR] campaigns). Mostly, I agree with Nutlink here, except in the use of the term, "sequel."

And I just apparently like to type...