Graw New Screens March

Those are nice screens.

I only have one observation to make, and it's something that I would like to see changed, but it's just a thought.

The muzzle flash is still too much.  You would never see muzzle flash like that in daylight from small arms, only at night.  It's very over-powering, and unrealistically blocks part of your view of your surroundings when the weapon is fired.  The only time you could see flash like that during the day is from a 16" battleship gun.

At night, or inside unlit buildings, muzzle flash would appear that brightly.  But not outside, not in the light of day.

Other than that, these screens are teriffic. :thumbsup:

And great job on the new HUD layout. :thumbsup:

On flashes in general: A flash is alive about 1/12 of a seccond (captures in that shot) and as we run realtime light on every flash and lamp you need to spice it up a bit. This gives away poistions not only if you fire straight ahead but also from reflections in walls and hideouts... therefore you need a "silencer" that removes the flash... oh yes.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bo,

Those screens look much better than what we have been seeing on the 360s and some previous PC screens. The HUD is now not nearly as cluttered as before. Thank you for listening to us and reading our forum for feedback :thumbsup: .

I still hope we can turn the HUD off, optional setting of course :) . I know this may seem like a strange thing to ask for, but I'll explain...

I know there are a lot of GR1 PC people who play GR with:

- Threat Indicator turned off

With the Threat Indicator off, people have to look and listen to their surroundings. Good communication with your team will tell you what you don't see.

- IFF turned off

This encourages people to "look" before they shoot. It also forces people to try to keep track of their team mates' general locations.

- Audio file confirmation of kills disabled

Unfortuneately, it doesn't seem possible to turn off the red text confirmed kills. The audio files seem to be easily disabled though.

- Command map red diamonds removed or minimized

There are not that many mods out that completely remove the red diamonds from the command maps. Year of The Monkey is a perfect example. The Alpha Squad mod (latest 2.5), doesn't remove the red diamonds, but it reduces it to a small red dot.

- HUD turned off

It is probably not done by many, but GR1 does give the option to turn off the HUD. You can even turn off parts of the HUD (Gun magazine/ammo counter, and the stance indicator). With the Gun magazine/ammo counter off, you really get a better feeling of having to be careful of your rate of fire.

- No Respawn

Well this goes without saying. Unless you have an army of undead, there is no reason to have this. Ok, it can be fun sometimes. (Ok this is not HUD related, but I just had to throw that in)

I'm well aware that the casual GR1 PC gamer does not do any or all of the above. It is the option to do these things that continue to make GR1 PC entertaining and challenging. Of course IGOR is another huge reason. I'd say that most GR1 PC people played with everything on for the first month or so, and then turned features off to suit their desired level of immersion. The people who still play GR1 PC really try to make the game a more "realistic" squad based tactical simm.

Thanks for listening Bo.

silent_op

And you moved the team’s health bars too…YA!

Why did you move them up and not down? Is there something in the bottom left corner of the HUD that we have not seen yet?

That goes together with the Cross Com. It is not only healthbars it contains information on all actions, weapons used, and selected unit/order. It needs to be attached to the Cross Com view. Thus moving it doen would obstruct to much of the middle of the screen. Howeve I'll get into that later with backup from UBI and screens.

Bo,

Those screens look much better than what we have been seeing on the 360s and some previous PC screens. The HUD is now not nearly as cluttered as before. Thank you for listening to us and reading our forum for feedback  :thumbsup: .

I still hope we can turn the HUD off, optional setting of course  :) . I know this may seem like a strange thing to ask for, but I'll explain...

With the Threat Indicator off, people have to look and listen to their surroundings. Good communication with your team will tell you what you don't see.

- IFF turned off

This encourages people to "look" before they shoot. It also forces people to try to keep track of their team mates' general locations.

Unfortuneately, it doesn't seem possible to turn off the red text confirmed kills. The audio files seem to be easily disabled though.

There are not that many mods out that completely remove the red diamonds from the command maps. Year of The Monkey is a perfect example. The Alpha Squad mod (latest 2.5), doesn't remove the red diamonds, but it reduces it to a small red dot.

- HUD turned off

It is probably not done by many, but GR1 does give the option to turn off the HUD. You can even turn off parts of the HUD (Gun magazine/ammo counter, and the stance indicator). With the Gun magazine/ammo counter off, you really get a better feeling of having to be careful of your rate of fire.

- No Respawn

Well this goes without saying. Unless you have an army of undead, there is no reason to have this. Ok, it can be fun sometimes. (Ok this is not HUD related, but I just had to throw that in)

I'm well aware that the casual GR1 PC gamer does not do any or all of the above. It is the option to do these things that continue to make GR1 PC entertaining and challenging. Of course IGOR is another huge reason. I'd say that most GR1 PC people played with everything on for the first month or so, and then turned features off to suit their desired level of immersion. The people who still play GR1 PC really try to make the game a more "realistic" squad based tactical simm.

Thanks for listening Bo.

silent_op

One question on your feedback here. Is this mainly for MP or SP?

Polycounts and textures are interesting to me. I notice you're a little on the low end for First Person weapons. (Well, low end compared to games like Half Life 2). Excellent textures, though. The rail on the caseless carbine and all the depressions on the XM8 are really impressive to me.

I wanted to ask about screen four, though. The soldier pictured has two primary weapons, it looks like:

ot2qnp.jpg

Does this relate to the new kit system, or perhaps picking weapons up off downed allies?

Added:

Most of my experience is both. :thumbsup:

Some of the things (like HUD turned off) are a bit unusual from what I've seen, though.

Polycounts and textures are interesting to me. I notice you're a little on the low end for First Person weapons. (Well, low end compared to games like Half Life 2). Excellent textures, though. The rail on the caseless carbine and all the depressions on the XM8 are really impressive to me.

I wanted to ask about screen four, though. The soldier pictured has two primary weapons, it looks like:

ot2qnp.jpg

Does this relate to the new kit system, or perhaps picking weapons up off downed allies?

If you look close you see 4 slots. This relates to the new kit system we described earlier.

Nice screens Bo/GRIN.  Looking good.  Now, just need that video......

(You know the old saying, give a dog an inch and he'll take a yard :D)

Bo,

on a technical note. Nvidia and ATI. They are on par, even with the 7900GTX release next week. The X1900XT does however boast HDR and AA used at the same time. Which the 7800 and 7900 series don't support at the same time. It's either AA or HDR with the Nvidia cards.

Overall what is the best gfx card in regards to GRAW?

I'm asking this, because GRAW will be the main reason to upgrade my Graphics Card. I now have a 7800GT in my system.

I'd love to play the game at max settings, 1600 x 1200 and >60fps. Bit of a graphics whore over here.

As I'm sure many people are interested in this. Are you willing to provide us with an answer?

- the ATI X1900XTX

- the Nvidia 7900GTX

Thank you so much.

In my own interest area? Are my Barrett babies going to be in the pc version?

Cheers

M95-sniper

Edited by M95-Sniper

If you look close you see 4 slots. This relates to the new kit system we described earlier.

Thanks. So, a system where one can take two medium sized weapons, or perhaps one large and a sidearm?

I'm looking at the high res pictures now... GRIN seems to have some great artists. Excellent texture work around.

One word for screens - "Mint" ...

One word for this thread and feedback ... "Gold".

:thumbsup:

The HUD layout is tight to edges enough now and the combining the lighting tone down this is what I would now have "expected" for PC = totaly on the money with layout.

As regards silent ops details :

- Threat Indicator turned off - MP/SP

- Command map red diamonds removed or minimized - MP/SP

- HUD turned off - (maybe turn certain windows off) ... MP/SP

Cant speak much for the other few.

Any word to clarify once and for all about How many team member numbers for COOP in the game Bo? IE: is it still 4? Or could you at least basicly just state it in this thread again as it did get a bit confused as of A: what it is officialy stated B: what it might be now.

Bo,

Those screens look much better than what we have been seeing on the 360s and some previous PC screens. The HUD is now not nearly as cluttered as before. Thank you for listening to us and reading our forum for feedback  :thumbsup: .

I still hope we can turn the HUD off, optional setting of course  :) . I know this may seem like a strange thing to ask for, but I'll explain...

- IFF turned off

- HUD turned off

- No Respawn

Thanks for listening Bo.

silent_op

I'm sorry I didn't make that part clear. I'd say for the most part, I'm talking about multiplayer co-op. When I play on my group's server or on other servers (like Alpha Squad's), this is how we play.

When I play a new mod in single player, I also like to turn off things like the threat indicator, respawn, and toggle on and off the gun magazine ammo counter.

Thanks again for listening. :thumbsup:

silent_op

Edited by silent_op

Wow,

Bo, these screens are abso-snekking-lutly gorgeous. Wow i can't believe it.

The Hud is nice and minimalist, fantastic.

The colour/feel of the game is way better than any screen shot i've seen from the XBox. The lunchy one's seem a bit too primary colours and garish tome but these are so freaking lovely. Like an expensive box of chocolates.

I'm totally psyched over the gun model too.

As Michael Corleoni says in 'The Godfather' "just when i thought i was out theyyyy pullllll meeeee back in'.

Let me tell you, i'm not so keen on the corporate side of the GR world but having seen those shots i can see why they want to keep GRAW PC a secret. Of all the hundreds of GRAW Xbox shots and movies i've seen, none of them come anywhere near to the solid, lovely look of those simple four shots.

Maybe the actually differences are small, different colour grading etc but they make a whole world of difference for me. Simply beautiful.

Bo, thank you for all the effort you are putting in to reassure your fans. I'm quite amazed at what a difference just small amounts of real info can make to my state of mind. :thumbsup:

The screens look fantatstic, GRIN is obviously doing an awesome job. I am soooo excited about this game now :D

These screens appear to be reflective of fan comments with reference to HDR. The bright splotches have been toned down. Care to comment Bo?

Sure WK.

The HDR is toned down a lot and we upped the texture resolutions since October by 8 times approx. Depending on your GFX card of course.

What more you can see we got a pretty long view distance about 3 times since you saw it in Leipzig - now that will tell you a bit on the fighting distances for you snipers and crawlers out there.

Also note the numerous small and medium covers in the shots. This will give you a good opportunity to hide and position your ghosts while moving in overwatch or in combat for that matter. It is all about angles and fire lanes ppl :)

Good screens from UBI I say.

Also ppl.... notice the HUD tone down and pull out to the limits of the screen.

That's spot on hombre.

On flashes in general: A flash is alive about 1/12 of a seccond (captures in that shot) and as we run realtime light on every flash and lamp you need to spice it up a bit. This gives away poistions not only if you fire straight ahead but also from reflections in walls and hideouts... therefore you need a "silencer" that removes the flash... oh yes.

Oooo. That makes me all tingly :yes:

These ace screen shots only convince me more that my past rantings about Microsofts fear of GRAW PC are right.

To be honest i'm surprised they even let these four screenies out. Even this little taste i think will hold off some who were considering buying a XBox to get their GRAW fix.

Somehow i don't think Bill Gates is Bo's number 1 fan.

Bo,

on a technical note. Nvidia and ATI. They are on par, even with the 7900GTX release next week. The X1900XT does however boast HDR and AA used at the same time. Which the 7800 and 7900 series don't support at the same time. It's either AA or HDR with the Nvidia cards.

I'm asking this, because GRAW will be the main reason to upgrade my Graphics Card. I now have a 7800GT in my system.

I'd love to play the game at max settings, 1600 x 1200 and >60fps. Bit of a graphics whore over here.

As I'm sure many people are interested in this. Are you willing to provide us with an answer?

- the ATI X1900XTX

- the Nvidia 7900GTX

I´m not sure, but I don´t think Bo can answer that, or it might end up like he prefers one manufacturer over the other. Ubisoft wouldn´t be happy about that I think.

Maybe Bo can tell us what HDR format is used in GRAW, FP16, OpenExr on Nvidia cards, or Int16 for all PS2 cards. Maybe he can tell us also if the game uses MANY (long) shaders, or is not very shader heavy (in the PS3 path), but more texture heavy.

By answering that, I can tell you what card would be better for you.

BTW, Nvidia cards can do (FP16) HDR with AA, it's just that Nvidia doesnt give the option of forcing it on when using floating point render targets. You can do it manually, but the application needs to be coded to support it (extra work). When GRAW is using Int16 HDR format (the one that is used in Lost Coast), then AA will work on all PS2+ cards, both Nvidia and ATI.

The new ATI cards have the advantage that they support MSAA on FP but it does need some extra work as well, it may not be as much time consuming to code that path, but to say that you can enable AA with every HDR game on the new cards just by setting a switch, is false. If that was the case, Far Cry for instance wouldn´t need a patch to enable AA for ATI cards. However, the new X1900 cards have one major advantage, they eat shaders alive and just laugh at them. Now you know why I wrote the stuff in the first paragraph.

Thanks Bo for all the info that you have given us today!

Edited by agentkay

Bo,

- the ATI X1900XTX

- the Nvidia 7900GTX

I´m not sure, but I don´t think Bo can answer that, or it might end up like he prefers one manufacturer over the other. Ubisoft wouldn´t be happy about that I think.

Maybe Bo can tell us what HDR format is used in GRAW, FP16, OpenExr on Nvidia cards, or Int16 for all PS2 cards. Maybe he can tell us also if the game uses MANY (long) shaders, or is not very shader heavy (in the PS3 path), but more texture heavy.

By answering that, I can tell you what card would be better for you.

BTW, Nvidia cards can do (FP16) HDR with AA, it's just that Nvidia doesnt give the option of forcing it on when using floating point render targets. You can do it manually, but the application needs to be coded to support it (extra work). When GRAW is using Int16 HDR format (the one that is used in Lost Coast), then AA will work on all PS2+ cards, both Nvidia and ATI.

The new ATI cards have the advantage that they support MSAA on FP but it does need some extra work as well, it may not be as much time consuming to code that path, but to say that you can enable AA with every HDR game on the new cards just by setting a switch, is false. If that was the case, Far Cry for instance wouldn´t need a patch to enable AA for ATI cards. However, the new X1900 cards have one major advantage, they eat shaders alive and just laugh at them. Now you know why I wrote the stuff in the first paragraph.

Thank Bo for all the info that you have given us today!

Hey mate,

thank you for the technical extra's you gave us. I'm not asking if Bo has a favourite. I'd just like to know which card is best in terms of Image Quality and speed. I will shift around 400 euro's for this game only. I'd like to make a good choice, so do many others who probably want to have the best gear available at launch.

So, Bo, which is best?

Cheers

Hey mate,

thank you for the technical extra's you gave us. I'm not asking if Bo has a favourite. I'd just like to know which card is best in terms of Image Quality and speed. I will shift around 400 euro's for this game only. I'd like to make a good choice, so do many others who probably want to have the best gear available at launch.

So, Bo, which is best?

Cheers

No problem you´re welcome, just wanted to share some info and possibilty help a little regarding your question. ;)

Edited by agentkay