What does the man himself think

By now we know what almost every active member on this forum thinks of the new Ghost Recon.

But just now i was thinking what the man himself, Tom Clancy, thinks of this new game.

Although he is no longer a part of Redstorm, the game still bears his name.

So my question is, is there any word on what mr. Clancy thinks of what has become of Ghost Recon 3?

Rumor has it that Tom Clancy sold his rights to the "tom Clancy" titles for games to finance a divorce or some personal debt stuff.

He might like it. 50/50 chance though. I don't think this game has ANYthing to do with clancy's writings as you NEVER see books about the games or the other way around.

So my question is, is there any word on what mr. Clancy thinks of what has become of Ghost Recon 3?

Swartz, it is unlikely that you will ever hear of what Clancy thinks about GR3 as he does not play games himself. (If he does, he hasn't mentioned it publicly.)

As far as I know, all he does is give approval to concepts for games which has his name attached to it (e.g. Splinter Cell) but he has not publically commented about any of his games since Rogue Spear. See:

http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/interviews/schmitt.shtm

R6 was in development as the book was written, the book was completed first though.

That's correct. Read the interview above and you'll see that the novel and game were in development at the same time with ideas crossing over. However, the endings are different because I don't believe the team knew the ending to the novel, and I prefer the ending in the game anyway :yes:

"Actually, I got the idea for the book during a brainstorming with the guys at Red Storm. The Red Storm guys and I had a meeting back in October 1996 in an ale house in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, where we came up with the idea of hostage rescue game. As the creative ideas began to flow in the next few months, we decided it would be great to base a book on this team. We worked together on the storyline; I get to have a lot of creative input without having to do all of the work with the ones and zeros."

There was 2 other games based on Clancy books, Red Storm Rising and Politika.

Don't forget SSN.

Rumor has it that Tom Clancy sold his rights to the "tom Clancy" titles for games to finance a divorce or some personal debt stuff.

He might like it. 50/50 chance though. I don't think this game has ANYthing to do with clancy's writings as you NEVER see books about the games or the other way around.

Actually, there are 2 books that match his games: Rainbow Six, and Sum of All Fears.

Rainbow Six was published in 1998(The book). Rainbow Six and Eagle Watch(the games) published in 2000.

The Sum of All Fears(the book) was published in 1991, and the game and movie done in 2002.

So, as you can see, both games and the Exp. for R^ were based on the books, written several years earlier in one case, and 2-3 years earlier in the other.

So, as you can see, you do see games about his books.

Edited by Specter

Rainbow Six was published in 1998(The book).  Rainbow Six and Eagle Watch(the games) published in 2000.

Nope, the R6 game and novel came out in the same year. Rainbow Six Retreat has been around since 1998, the same year the first game came out so we would know ;)

Here's a list of all the R6 PC games and release dates:

http://rainbowsix.3dretreat.com/r6info.asp

Rainbow Six (Aug 1998)

Eagle Watch (Jan 1999)

Rogue Spear (Sep 1999)

Urban Operations (Apr 2000)

Covert Operations Essentials (Sep 2000)

Black Thorn (Nov 2001)

Raven Shield (Mar 2003)

etc.

You're right on that release date, bro.

But, the fact remains that those two particular game titles were inspired by the novels.

I also understand that there are Splinter Cell Novels out there, although carrying Clancy's name, are not written by Clancy, but are however based on the 4 games.

Clancy probably owns less of his own name now than anybody. It seems that way, anyway.

But the point is, in the Clancy Franchise, the books do inspire games, and the games do in fact, inspire novels.

And you forgot Sum of All Fears, which released in 2002, and is part of the same "Universe", for lack of a better word.

Edited by Specter

what special force was tom clancy in and was it reall or does he have a brilliant imagination?????????????

He wasn't, that I'm aware of. In fact, I don't think he has ever been in government service.

Although back when The Hunt for Red October was made, the government tried to shut down the movie, I don't recall if there was a stink over the book or not.

It was rumored that The Hunt for Red October STRONGLY resembled an actual classified incident.

there are splinter cell books, very fast pace, good intertaining books, good read over all.

and if there was one game that i would want made out of the books would be WITHOUT REMORSE great book! and the other would be clear and present danger. they both were awesome reads!

thanks clancy, if ur reading this, plus i actually met him one time...

I don't think that the Splinter Cell books were written by Clancy.  I think they just fall under his franchise, like these games.

They are actually written by a man naemd David Michaels.

correct...

is it true that clancy sold his name out to someone?

Well, we know he sold rights to his name to Ubi, and I'm sure since all these authors are writing books and using his name to sell them, that he has sold rights to his name to print publishers as well.

Well, we know he sold rights to his name to Ubi, and I'm sure since all these authors are writing books and using his name to sell them, that he has sold rights to his name to print publishers as well.

Heck yes... Read pre 1990s "real" Clancy, e.g., "Clear & Present Danger," "Hunt for Red October," or "Patriot Games." :D

Then read late 1990s stuff, e.g., "Net Force" or "Acts of War." :(:wall:

well this will probably break a few State Regulations due to Patient Confidentiality clause, but he told me when he was at our hospital; his pc meets and exceed requirements and he can't wait for the demo to come out. He asked me if I knew when the demo will come out, I said I don't know. Better ask this guy named Bo. :whistle:

Well, he's coming back for a follow up and he said, I better give him a copy of a demo, when he comes back.

He said if he doesn't get a copy by then, heads will roll. :whistle: