Should moving vehicls be used in GR2

Cobblers

I dont know about driving vehicles, but it would be pretty interesting if you could set up roadblocks/barracades.

Maybe push a few dumpsters in the road or be able to move a vehicle for only that purpose.

Heres a idea, barracad a alley so that you know your six is protected.

lol

Or how about for online they have a ''Bomb the base'' gametype, where on team has to protect their base and the other team has to blow it up.

Just a idea or two

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you feel this way Wicked?

Because this is Ghost Recon..not bf1942 or whatever. This game is almost perfect the way it is. I think that if RSE really wanted to improve upon this game it would best to start in the server admin options. Hard to complain about a game that is unlike any other game out there.

Like I said in another thread.....I think I will be playing GR for at least a couple more years. That will happen either because nobody comes out with a better game "for me" or they make so many stupid changes in GR2 that i still will play the origanal.

That would be really great. To make majority of the game map interactive (besides doors)

Like you said, moving things dragging things. you could set up a moving barrier while you try to move in teh open space.

I would like to see destructable structures (that would lag alot of low ended computers so im not sure if that would be feasible) such as holes blown in walls where you can walk in, or collapse a room of a grenade was thrown in there.

a selection of flash/smoke grenades like the RS series.

more urban maps

snow maps

Im with you there Wicked, the only thing I kinda want improved is the Kit selection and maybe some more freedom on picking a character ( maybe a little bit more customization-so that you dont need to make amod to get the skin you want)

Sure some added features would be great, but the game is pretty much fine as is.

But thats just my opinion

I think they would have to create a new engine to have destructable walls and such. I know the Geo mod engine from Red Faction could do that.

BTW, I could be completely wrong because there are detructable walls on the Industrial map.-Modded map of course

Ok.. First off if you dont have a kick ass computer and a couple bad guys are shooitng at you with machine guns, and your driving with your platoon and there shooting. It calls for the game to crash or lag probably. Plus that would need +++ graphic card. And in multiplayer.. ROFLMAo ahhahahahah yeah right.. That would lag ALOT

I actually like the idea of being able to call an air strike in one of the missions. But a movie not actually controlling planes etc. As another person said thats like a sim.

I think the game is perfect as it is :) One of the great parts of GR is it can handle graphic cards with 8mb with no lag. Its what I currently have. my 128 mb geforce 4 comes tomorrow w00t!

So basicly No vehicles. No moving vehicles. No Driving Vehicles!!

Also that would make it so unrelisitic. If they had time to fly soem troops out there dony ou think the town or whatever would know by then that there are terrorists/rebels in the town? Oh yeah but people will still be driving around *cough* *cough*

wolf anubis

GR2 (if ever made) needs to fix their server application MOST OF ALL. add linux support. better stability. maybe add a start time of 10 secs after the map load to give the 56k the ability to load but if they exceed that load time, they spawn when ever, but others who have loaded already start playing. This allows for consistant loads and not that load lag when the 56k isnt connecting well then you see "56KerLaggedTheLoad exited" on map loads.

That is pure bandwidthism yeah lets just make the guys with the crappy connection wait while the other guys have all the fun. Here is a better idea why dont we just boot anybody with a ping over 100 aint that a great idea

and about the vehicles that would be okay as long as you limit them like you cant drive them but you can ride in them kinda like DF2 where you can jump in the back of a truck and take a ride

just my 3.4354543 cents (that is a rough estimate mind you)

Edited by Kamakazi

wolf anubis

GR2 (if ever made) needs to fix their server application MOST OF ALL. add linux support. better stability. maybe add a start time of 10 secs after the map load to give the 56k the ability to load but if they exceed that load time, they spawn when ever, but others who have loaded already start playing. This allows for consistant loads and not that load lag when the 56k isnt connecting well then you see "56KerLaggedTheLoad exited" on map loads.

That is pure bandwidthism yeah lets just make the guys with the crappy connection wait while the other guys have all the fun. Here is a better idea why dont we just boot anybody with a ping over 100 aint that a great idea

and about the vehicles that would be okay as long as you limit them like you cant drive them but you can ride in them kinda like DF2 where you can jump in the back of a truck and take a ride

just my 3.4354543 cents (that is a rough estimate mind you)

i take it you are on a 56k. I NEVER boot anyone from our servers because of "bandwidthism". One of the guys i appointed server admin is on 56K. That has nothing to do with it.-first

I remember what 56k was like and never would persecute anyone for it. The 10 second time was to allow the people to load normal as their connection would let them. without having to cailbrate everyone. There are games that do that. Its called impact prediction and anti-lag netcode. It assists and compensates for the 56k ping vs a cable ping. I am NOT a broadband elite.-second

Question: How many times has a good server crashed due to 56k at load? More than enough. I was making a point to let the server load and let the client load at their pace.not the server load at the weakest links pace which take alot of "processing load" and can pop a server. -third

do not attack me on suggestions. this is purely speculation and opinion. :)

I don't think usable vehicles would fit with the purpose of the ghosts, whose raison d'etre is to insert, carry out their mission and exfiltrate without (or with minimal) detection.

It'd be fun to play around in a humvee or an Abrams, but I think it would detract from the great atmosphere that GR has of a tactical, squad-based infantry shooter.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to whatever improvements/enhancements they implement in the sequel.

I don't know about vehicles, if done right they'd work, if not GR would become a bf1942 clone. By done right, I mean limited interaction, probably only in SP. Maybe having you man a gun for a limited time while moving across a large map. problem with driving them is then you have to create a whole new interface for that.

I agree that the models should be damageable (is that a word?). Putting AT through walls to get at bad guys, etc. would add a great new dimension to games.

On airstrikes, i think these are a MUST for GR2- not for MP, which would suck (imagine being on the receiving end of that, it would peeve me of to no end). Since RSE has decided to simulate the combat role of SF soldiers (you don't see the Ghosts training a local militia), I can'y think of a more "real world" SF mission then calling in airstrikes on bridges, refineries, or large troop concentrations. Imagine a thousand troops against 6 ghosts- you can only retreat so far. Calling in airstrikes, arty or gunship support would immerse players into the game like nothing else.

also, I agree with what someone said earlier about a medic class- this too would add to realism and immersion. If a guy is hit, you have to send a medic to patch him up. If the hit is not fatal, the medic could stabilize him for evac, or patch him up so he can continue (perhaps with a limp). Also, since SF guys are all crosstrained, why not make a medical stat? That would determine the time it takes to bandage a buddy.

Also, isn't RvS broadband only in MP? I think GR2 will be too.

I remeber reading an interview with the GR design team. They said that a drawback is having to design the game with 2 year old computers in mind. At this point, isn't a 2 year old computer a PIII running at about 800mhz? Not a bad place to start, could be a PII 400 (sorry to my PII friends). A 2 year old computer is very upgradeable.

More as i think of it...

Edited by WEP_Magnum

I have never had a problem with dial up users with GR...they may lag more than us LPB's but I think GR does a better job with dial up users than any other game ever has.

I know what you mean. I've been tempted to buy half a dozen games in the last few months (well, everytime I step in PC world) however I always check out the fan sites to see any tips on multiplayer games, and the amount of times I see "Cannot be played on 56k" is stupid. Thank god for GR, and hopefully GR2 will be just as supportive. Believe it or not not everyone has ADSL in the world.

As for vehicles, I was driving a heli gunship last night in Operation Flashpoint which is so fun it should be illegal. Would it work in gr? Not unless you made the maps 10 times larger. In GR2 I want to see decent night vision (this is the year 2010, things should have moved on a little to make it clearer, but not make the enemies stick out like a sore thumb).

On the night vision thing....

The military is already making newer night vision that has both nite vision and thermal vision combined.

The way it works is, you see in almost regualr night vision, but the thermal picks up body heat and a computer chip inside makes a ''box'' around any heated moving object/person.

Basicly it works like auto aim in a game, so if your in a forest and the enemy are extremely camoed this stuff will pick up their heat and movements and point them out to you.

This new night vision will be out in a year or two.

I only see medics within large platoons, or at nearby bases.

Ghosts are with 6 only, so once one is wounded and can't continue it's no good to let the whole team wait for him to be fixed up.

I think they'll need to continue the mission with one man less. He will try to survive alone. And once the mission is completed they will rejoin and extract.

BTW, if there were medics around, the wounded soldier still isn't able to continue the mission. Only thing he'll get treated right away, but he won't recover within minutes.

IMO

I love GR's simplicity, makes it close to reality.

I didn't care for the tank babysitting missions--totally got away from way other missions were set up. I would like to see them dump the at4, add timed charges or radio det charges that would take care of enemy armor should the need arise. Insertions by boat, helo or parachute are best, in my opinion. Vehicle use or using weapons on them are more suited for large scale warfare games not small ops. There is a reason for the name "Ghosts".

Yeah those mission sucked. I agree that more explosives and gadjets should've been added. Laser desigantors, c4, flash bangs etc.

Grenades should destroy room contents to a certain degree to. So if you have to search a room for papers and throw a nade in there, you have a chance of destroying the papers/object (whereas a flashbang wouldn't)

Bullets should go through doors/walls dependant on the penetrative power.

Retreival mission where you say have to grab a laptop. It should a dropable item too so if you die carrying it it can be picked up.

Imo helicopters are a big NO. Ghosts cannot piolt a complex gunship. They can drive cars though but even though, after giving it some thought I don't want to see vehicles in the game other than ones to blow up.

I'd love to see more attention to detail in GR as far as accessability goes. It's annoying for me not to be able to walk under little bridges or in between to poles etc.

Im against driving vehicals. When I think of GR I think of stelth and surrounding the enemy and disspossing of them. The last thing I want is to be crawling prone, sneaking up on a camp, then seeing some idiot fly by me in a humvee yelling "YEE-HAW!" and trying to run them all over... <_<

I like the way the game is, wile you interact with tanks and stuff, you cant hop in one and start running crap over thinking your in twisted metal or something. :unsure:

So many people seem to want to drive in GR2 that I think they should add the option of taking a vehicle for a spin. It would certainly make it easier for modders to create interesting parameters. However Specops teams rarely use vehicles - or at least rarely commandeer them - so it should not be an essential part of even one mission. By that I mean that all missions should be designed to be completed on foot and players can diddle around with the trucks as much as they want, if they want. I for one won't use the function, but it would certainly shut a lot of folks up and feel more realistic to know that more of the environment can be interacted with if the player chooses.

Sorry anubis I was blowing off steam and didnt mean half the things I said

about the broadband/.cable only games there are somepeople me included that CANNOT get DSL/cable because I dont live in a city/town/village anything so that isnt an option providers dont go out this far the only way I could get it would be satelite and my dad (I am only 14) wouldnt fork out $130 (that is installation and first month) for me to play games

Np kamikaze... i know its frustrating to see "cable no lag--i kick low pings"

that isnt fair to everyone. i never go in those rooms for that reason ;)

Just because a person doesnt have broadband doesnt mean they arent a valuable community member or a valuable asset to a team.

Its plainly retarded to even think that some is even "better" than another person because of it. I see that alot in the UBI area.

One thing i dont like about some 56kers--false advertising

ive seen people on that P2P lobby have rooms saying "T3-no lag" but the person has a ping of 250+ to me. Thats annoying.

Happy gaming and visit our servers again. You are more than welcome. And so is ANY person on 56k. Show some broadband people that your dialup is more deadly then there "1337" cable/dsl :devil:

Oh I have this great story from DF2 and I posted here somewhere let me search....

What you cant search something under 4 letters dang Im screwed then dang...

Anyway it pretty much said that they were booting people with dialup and when I was the only one left i kicked some ###### and said "I thought DSL was supposed to be better" then I got banned from the server forever but it was worth it

Well i like the Bigger maps idea! and sure it can happen because really i hope they use a new engin by that time for GR2 (Like IGI2 and FlashPiont.)! But for Vechiles i say sure why not, but maybe more a thing for single player maybe! at least more friendly on us rideing in em, like if i want too mod in igor for a co op, but Online games not so sure it would make it unfair unless they add a thing for host to just turn em off or just a co op thing maybe!! but really i want a WAR Sim where everything is active and useable and be just as good as GR is!!! Maybe one day we have a game like that, but for now i could go ether way for GR2 just as long as some day it happens and be just as real as GR fighting is today!

Maybe they need too just make a new game all together!!! War Sim i like!

Now i say that forget GR2 and make us a new game lol. but i want GR2 too so i hope in all it keeps things real it a must! And something more with the firefights wish they last alittle longer maybe if they add the jumping guns in like RVS they do the trick! maybe even more options if we want it day or night or even raining or snowing be cool! or even a time based game the longer u on it the day changes day too night? sounds cool!

P.S. more kit options pls, i really want Smoke grenades and would love if i can pick my own guns like R6 its my butt on the line i want too pick what i want too bring with me!!! Maybe even larger slots like 3 to 4 items Main assult gun hand gun and some frags or Smoke grenades. thats real enough i think!

And maybe even things too blow up barrows or what ever! RVS has exploding barrows fun!!! But i do have too Say GR is one of the best games ever too date! i hate too see it change too much but there is some things that can be added without killing the game!

Edited by deadpreacher

I only see medics within large platoons, or at nearby bases.

Actually most US spec ops have medics within the teams. Matter of factly SF Teams medic carries the good stuff like Morphine. :wacko:

But thats besides the fact.........I still say no, no, and heck NO!!!!! to driving vehicles in MY GR Game!!!! I'll be forced to go POSTAL on RSE if they dare ruin MY game. ;)

Y'know - I've been a Fan of the RSE Ground Based Platforms for so long I've forgotten how much I love to Fly in Helos and Deploy out of 'em.

My Point...

I recently tried the "Delta Force - BlackHawk Down" Demo and I found out that It absolutely Smoked...

Flying in over the Mog baggin' Habr Gidr Militia | Sittin' side-saddle on the BuckBoard | On a Little Bird as The Miiltia assaults the U.N. Compound.

Now Give Me more of that in "GR2", and I'll be a Happy Camper.

There has been a Great need in My eyes for a Title that combines the Best of a FlightSIM with the best of a TACSIM.

Specops Teams more often than not INSERT VIA Helos, HALO, HAHO or by Sea. The addition of AirMobility or Vehicle manipulation to a Platform such as "GR" would only be a Bonus - IMO.

Put it this way...

If a TACSIM Title ever comes along with the Ability to have Ground Forces on the Ground like in "GR", and AirCraft in the Air supporting those Troops like Aircraft in "MSFS" ( "CFS" - But w/ current AirCraft ) - Then |S.O.T.O|'s Time playing RSE Games would lessen a Great Deal as We'd move to a Title such as that in a Heatbeat ( Thats as long as it was done well ).

Now hows that for a Wish ? ? ?

:blink:

Sincerely,