Game Engines

ZJJ

Which engine would you prefer was used in GR2?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started this thread before and ended up with the bashing of Unreal engine. I don't want that to happen here. *crosses fingers*

I want to do a report discussing the pros and cons of the above engines and how they would be good or bad if RSE used them to create GR2. I would have provided a link to the old thread, but it got quite heated so I am only going to use it for reference purposes when I write this report. I will also be looking at the other threads discussing engines in this forum, but again, most of them are bashing Unreal with no or little mention of other possibilities. :wall:

Let's not bash each others opinions, but stick with the topic at hand, please.

As I no nothing about engines (of any kind :D ), this is your opportunity to educate me. :stupid:

Thank you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you guys know what exactly you are saying.

Are you saying that you want to keep the old engine with a few enhancements?

Or are you saying you want red storm to develop a brand new engine using new technology in their style of engine making.

You should have been more specific in that poll you have at the top of the thread. I reluctantly picked the current engine with improvements. But I wanted to pick a new engine by red storm.

Which did you guys meant?

And for that matter what about the STALKER shadows of chernobyl engine? Thats a big big title coming out later this year. It used to be called STALKER oblivion lost (cooler title).

Are you saying that you want to keep the old engine with a few enhancements?

Or are you saying you want red storm to develop a brand new engine using new technology in their style of engine making.

I'll go with either one. ;)

I'm used to this engine. I like it.

But if RSE wants to do a new engine, I'm OK with that, as long as it's still Ghost Recon (if you get my meaning).

So either one.

I find that the tried and true RSE made engines have come a long way from the days of R6. While they have a down and dirty, nitty gritty feel to them, they work for the games that RSE builds. If you take a look, RvS was made by UbiSoft using the Unreal engine, and it doesn't have the look or feel that previous games had.

I do know that it was Ubi who bungled RvS, but if they had taken the direction that RSE did with the earlier R6 titles by using a purpose built engine, I actually belive they could have made a better game than what they did. That is what sets the RSE games apart from game clones that use licensed engines from a different game. While those engines may be popular, they do not necessarily lend themselves to a the types of games that most of us want from RSE.

I disagree. Even though I respect the other engines out there I would rather rse make a new engine for gr2. Something that is on par with the next gen engines that are being debuted this year. Already we have see far cry. And although I love how it looks using the new technology...the style of visuals is well......not for gr.

Other next gen 3d engine games coming out are half life 2, STALKER, and of course Doom3.

While they all look great I think for ghost recon 2 we need something custom. And also something that will make use of the new vid cards out there. And for the past few years I hope thats exactly what rse has been doing...making a great new engine.

hmmm Zij could we have another option added to the poll? "A NewRSE Inhouse Creation"

I was impressed when I first saw the Crytec engine demo but when I got to play it I was left dissapointed. I was ignoring the child like colours & stuff but still it seemed it was biting off more than it could chew. Maybe it's possible a heavily modified version of Crytek could hit the spot but I'm not so sure.

Unreal?? What I've seen I was not too impressed with however I've heard fantastic things about the new version but thats not going to be available till 2006 (or something like that) I don't know about you but there's no way I want to wait that long. So if it was available now it would get my vote, however it isn't.

Karma Physics?? I don't know the capability's of this so I can't comment.

The existing engine is far to limiting. I could live with the same standard of graphics but the enviromental limitaions are it's weakness for me. Not being able to interact with the enviroment is my one major gripe. I want to shoot out bulbs or cut the power, blow stuff up etc.

Concusion. I think the best engine would be a RSE creation useing the new techniques & technology's that are now available. I have confidence that they could come up trumps again, just like they did with the original GR. lets face it GR is 3 years old now & it's still putting most new releases to shame. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the feedback so far. :thumbsup:

My thoughts in regards to the poll for "current engine with enhancements" is meant to cover a RSE in-house creation. In my thinking (which is why I probably need education in this area) is that RSE will take the idea of how successful this engine is and enhance it/change it/improve it to make it even better, which makes it a "new engine", right?

:stupid:

i dont believe they are willing to put the time and money into a whole new engine, if they did id expect it to take another two years to release, im basing this on the fact GR2 wasnt mentioned in any financual reports or press releases and no new games being worked on using a new inhouse engine.

I think its safe to say that they will take the easy cheaper route and use a 3rd party engine, what remains is to see if they balls it up

only one problem with the Cryotek engine, I heard there are bugs with guys that die and fall back, its been said that they may just stop in mid air.

And the unreal engine, although extremely entertaining, takes away from the realism..... :rolleyes:

First off, people have noted in this forum that RSE have some very talented engineers on staff who are more than capable of producing a triple A-list engine. In fact, when GR was introduced 4 years ago -- when tactical gaming wasn't ANYTHING like the animal it's evolved into today (and it goes without saying that that's greatly due to GR's contributions to the genre) -- it was at the top of its game, receiving game of the year accolades industry-wide to prove it. Arguably, the engine *still* holds its own against current games. In fact, it's just about the only game I enjoy playing, simply because it gets so much RIGHT, I just don't miss whatever it might be lacking in other areas...

Secondly, there are obvious advantages to using home-grown tech: your artists and game designers get first-class, whenever-they-need-it support throughout the entire design process.

Having established these two points, and recognizing RSE's level of competency in the sim market, combined with their obvious understanding of their consumers, it's a very safe bet that they're using something they brewed in-house.

Regardless of what engine it is, however, I can't wait to see it. Even just one stupid screenshot. I'm confident that GR2 will astonish everyone and without question it will yet again redefine the genre -- and hopefully hold us for another 4 years while they provide us another gorgeous array of mission pack levels and mp maps.

And incidentally, the Karma Physics engine has been used previously as a "plug-in" technology (with the unreal tournament engine) so it wouldn't really be fair to include here as an option because it hasn't (to my knowledge) ever been used as a standalone game engine -- at least not to the scale required to power GR2.

Thanks for reading my post.

Edited by walnut

One thing I really want to bring up about RSE using a 3rd party engine. If RSE wanted to really use one, they would have long before now. As when stated by Greg Stelmack when asked about mod support for R6 (it may have been RS), he stated that RSE designs games the way that they want to play them. I take it that to mean that the whole RSE design team prefers to make and play games using stuff that they create themselves and nothing else. That would encompass the game and graphics engines in my book. While there are a few modders (Serellan for one and yes, I know you will see this) who have been hired on at RSE, the designers who actually play mods are few and far between from what I hear.

There is also one other item back when RSE was started. A man by the name of Tom Clancy had a rather large stake in the company and had input into what was done (still does if the game bears his name no matter what kind of game genre it is). While I can't say that it was at his directive to make R6 using a propriety engine, I would bet that he instisted on it after trying others out.

The games I have that use other engines are OK for that kind of game (CoD, Quake; SC, Unreal; Jedi Academy, uses the Lithtech engine IIRC), but for games from RSE, the only choice could be is a home built engine even if they enhance the one that they are using now.

Uhm, Karma Physics is an physics simulation engine, not a rendering engine.

but if I could choose I'd prefer that RSE develops their own engine, unless they'll resort to usual ubi:ism.

Like making the maps 1x1km large, big no no, this time I want insertions and extractions.

GR was great in realism in all fields except this one, a bit more narrative would be nice to... :D

Edited by simulacra

Uhm, Karma Physics is an physics simulation engine, not a rendering engine.

but if I could choose I'd prefer that RSE develops their own engine, unless they'll resort to usual ubi:ism.

Like making the maps 1x1km large, big no no, this time I want insertions and extractions.

GR was great in realism in all fields except this one, a bit more narrative would be nice to... :D

Not only that, I don't think karma does anything besides Ragdolls...

Havok does everything... :ph34r:

well not many people seem to be educated about the X-RAY Engine here used in the game STALKER.

im not sure why you guys dont know much about it but its probably going to be 1 of the most Detailed games of 2004.

the MAPS are absaloutly huge. Very detailed. in most of the game it uses 3.000.000 polygons per Frame. The world is the most detailed world in a game i have ever seen in my life, far better than the crytek engine which i have only recorded a max polygon count of 300.000 so far.

Crytek engine dont have to have all them colorful colors. if you go to the end maps you will know what i mean. its not that colorful at all, Feels like a Proper dense Jungle on the 15th map much better atmasphere than any other game i have played.

Dont go by the demo graphics, the graphics get better and better throughout the game

have any of you even bothered to read my earlier posts asking people to just take a look at 20 - 40mb videos of the game stalker??

in 1 of the videos in a scene it shows a helicopter and believe me you would not know the difference between it being a game and a hollywood movie.

heres a few of the screenshots

540331_20040330_screen001.jpg

540331_20040301_screen005.jpg

540331_20040116_screen004.jpg

540331_20040116_screen006.jpg

540331_20031006_screen003.jpg

540331_20031006_screen010.jpg

540331_20030828_screen010.jpg

540331_20030828_screen019.jpg

pc_stalker0700_screen003.jpg

Edited by whoa182

basicly i was just saying X-ray engine is worthy of GR2 aswell.

But im guessing RSE will make another brilliant engine to Run GR on with all 2.0 or 3.0 Shaders that will make it looks stunning like most new games coming in 2004

The games I have that use other engines are OK for that kind of game (CoD, Quake; SC, Unreal; Jedi Academy, uses the Lithtech engine IIRC)

CoD, Quake, Jedi Academy all use the QuakeIII engine. Splinter Cell and SC:PT and Unreal use the Unreal Warfare engine. Lithtech is the NOLF series IIRC.

I agree though, the character models still look very, very good compared to other games. The terrain and objects could have some better textures though.

However, there were no flashy special effects... whcih makes you wonder....

Also, we don't even know for sure that RSE is making it. It could be the same deal like with RvS, which would SUCK.

I vote for a newer GR engine, or STALKER -> Source