My Poor Cat

Parabellum

I have 2 cats, one is 9 years old and a total ######!!

He attacks anything, doesnt like affection. He fights dogs, and wins.

He is indestuctable, he has only been to the vet once for sterilisation, he didnt like that. But he is cool, he is my favourite one. He is black, like a mini panther.

The other is my mums, its fast and gingery, and is a ######. She used to fight cockroaches, but she is to slow for that now. She hides under my mums bed when ever tradesman or large amouunts of people come over, and then craps on the bed. But she is good for patting.

I would get your cat to the vet right away, he(?) could develop what is known as an absyss (sp?). It is some kind of yucky infected lump that develops when a cat has a nasty wound. They are hard to treat, and usually require the Big Needle. I dont wanna scare ya, but he needs a docter.

I contacted an emergency 24-hour vet. They want $230 just to do the basic stitching of the wound, plus more for extra work involved, and even more for anesthesia. My wife and I literally don't have the money for all that. :( I told the vet he's not bleeding, and he doesn't seem to notice the cut - he's still acting like his normal self, so she said to just clean it with anti-bacterial soap and put neosporin on it twice a day, until we can get him to the SPCA to have him looked at. In reality, I guess the wound isn't that severe - it's just a skin cut. But he's my buddy - my best friend aside from my wife. He's the sweetest can I've ever met, and I can't stand the thought of him being hurt. :(

Cats are good like that, they either screem like buggery and carry on when hurt, or they just dont seem to care. No blood lis good, but keep it clean, and best keep the cat inside, away from dirt and other nasties, good luck!!

Well, we got him all cleaned up, and he seems no worse for the wear, aside from having a gash in his head, that opens and closes whenever he moves. The poor thing. He seems to be OK, though. I hope that the SPCA will work with us to get him the medical help he needs. He really needs stitches, but my wife and I literally don't have the money. :(

That's too bad about the wound. I assume it happened while he was outside? I know this doesn't help you now but you should consider keeping your cat indoors from now on. Our 2 cats are alot less stressed and almost never injured now that their indoors only. That way they don't get into scraps all the time and you don't have to worry about them getting hit by a car.

Hope your cat will be all right, I never like to see mine get hurt either.

Actually, he was inside - we don't let our cats outside. I think he was under the recliner when my wife let the foot rest out, and one of the arms underneath clocked him good. My wife says we're going to have to have him put down if we can't find someone to stitch him up, because the wound is pretty big. So, I hope that, somewhere in Lakeland, there's a veteranarian who will help us out. I don't want to lose my buddy!

I just got back from the vet, where I got some good news, and some bad news. The good news is the the laceration isn't nearly as bad as we thought it was; we had thought we saw bone underneath, but he was only cut through the skin. There was plenty of muscle and other tissue still in tact. :)

The bad news is that they still wanted $225 to sew him up. Over $100 of that was for anesthesia. They only wanted $20 to do that actual stitching of the wound. :) Needless to say, I don't have that kind of money just laying around, so I couldn't pay that fee. In the vet's opinion, the wound wasn't of a nature that absolutely required stitching, so she cleaned it up, and provided me with antibiotics and medicated cleansing cloths to clean it up. She says he'll start to heal very quickly, and that he's going to be fine. :) I got out with peace of mind and a cleaned up cat - I just wish I had the money to get the entire treatment.

I just got back from the vet, where I got some good news, and some bad news. The good news is the the laceration isn't nearly as bad as we thought it was; we had thought we saw bone underneath, but he was only cut through the skin. There was plenty of muscle and other tissue still in tact. :)

Good to hear.

Now, thats one down, so eight lifes to go.

Good luck

Para', if you were local, I'd lend you the money....seriously :D

I love cats, and after an eleven year break without one, within the last twelve months I've rescued five of the blighters and evenn helped out at the local shelter.

Anyway, my 'kids' have really come on in the last couple of months and I spoil them big time.

Shall we have a 'Show us your cat' sticky in this forum.

Please no jokes :rolleyes:

DS

GOD BLESS THE COALITION and errrrrrrrrrrrrr CATS

The bad news is that they still wanted $225 to sew him up. Over $100 of that was for anesthesia. They only wanted $20 to do that actual stitching of the wound. :) Needless to say, I don't have that kind of money just laying around, so I couldn't pay that fee. In the vet's opinion, the wound wasn't of a nature that absolutely required stitching, so she cleaned it up, and provided me with antibiotics and medicated cleansing cloths to clean it up. She says he'll start to heal very quickly, and that he's going to be fine. :) I got out with peace of mind and a cleaned up cat - I just wish I had the money to get the entire treatment.

When I was around 7 or 8, I got a terrible cut on my left knee. Your (or at leasy my) knee skin is about 2 to 3 inches thick. Icut about 2 inches deep and four inches long, and it all fell down as well. Imagine the pain.

My parents to me to the Doc... not one stich. Nada, none, nothing. He put a big-ole band-aid on and said, "replace this for the next few weeks every 4 days..."

Sure enough, about 8 years later, I have a 1/4 thick and about 1 inch long scar, nothing bad.

I think kitty will survive even if he's not stitched up. :)

Aw man, do you not hate to hear this stuff?

I don't even like to think about how I'd feel if something happened to one of my (three) wee guys. :'( Hope things work out for him, my cats send their regards.

Though in my professional opinion, it's nothing a little fire won't fix. :devil:

hope he gets better bud :thumbsup:

I sliced my leg open with a big knife on christmas eve :santa: a few years ago, i was bored and decided to strip the rubber off an action man to expose the hard plastic skeleton :devil: but the knife was sharper and the rubber softer than i thought <_< so my mom got woken up by me to see a big stream of blood pouring out of my leg :( i was lucky and it was only an inch or so deep so it didn't need stiches but i think there's still some blood in the grain of the wood floor in their bedroom...

:stupid:

When I was younger, I slipped on the road at a funny angle and torn open my left knee- from right to left (it was a gusher too). I had one of those big band aids on it and now I got a big scar.

On my right knee, I torn it open when I accidently got caught on a bed spring. The spring was razor sharp and it dug in and sliced my knee right open also (fountains I tell ya).

Deep cuts take longer to heal, but they do heal eventually.

Like zjj said,

keep applying the neosporin and also attach butterfly bandages to help pull the gash closed so that it can heal. Keeping it clean is very important :thumbsup:

Oh and shave his head for good measure (gets a mad look from him and a good laugh for you :lol: )

Hope he gets better.

I once was sliding down a dirt pile in my back yard. I then gashed my left leg open from the top of my knee to my ankle. I didn't notice it until I saw my jeans torn open. I walked into the house, Took off my jeans, and removed the shard of glass. Didn't hurt. Just bandaged it up and slid down the dirt pile more.

My cat's name is Maestro(my dad is a musician). He has been in many fights. Now, he is limping, his back right leg is hurting. Poor guy.... :'(

Oh and shave his head for good measure (gets a mad look from him and a good laugh for you  )

The vet shaved a 2 inch by 2 inch area on top of his head around the cut, so they could clean it. It looks really funny, because they left a very short layer of fur, which is striped in color. He doesn't seem to care though. He's his usual loveable self.

For those who are wondering, yes, this is the same devil of a cat with whom I was engaged in several legendary battles quite some time ago. For whatever reason, he quit being so mean at times, and I quit getting so mad when he does do something mean, and he's just been the biggest sweetheart. :)

Do you have pet insurance?

Im not sure about where you live, but here you can insure your animals against injury or death.

I dont have it, our cats dont need to much vetting, but if you really care its a good investment