Anti-Piracy system for GR:FS

Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot has been talking about Ubisoft's plans for taking on the pirates in advance of their next big releases...

All together, on home consoles, the piracy is low. But on the PC, the piracy increases quite a lot, and we are working on tools that will allow us to actually decrease tremendously the piracy on PC, starting next year in fact and probably one game at the end of this year.

Anti piracy measures have a dismal history of actually causing legitimate paying customers more hassle and grief than the pirates who carry on regardless.

Without a doubt Ghost Recon 4 will be subject to these new initiatives, but hopefully it will not be the first! Let another game suffer the "early adopter" issues! :thumbsup:

Anyone clued up on recent developments in this area?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot air. Copy protection hasn't worked so far, so there's no reason to believe it'll suddenly start working. It'll either go unnoticed by legit customers, or cause a mess of false postives and general hassle. It won't matter a damn to pirates.

I've reached the point where I've stopped wasting any more time with DRM. They can load whatever they want onto my PC as long as it doesn't mess up the game and slow down my hardware.

My demands on usability are crystal clear though: I don't want to bother with a disc in the drive. I don't want to be requried to be online to play. I just want the game to run whenever I doubleclick the game icon on my desktop.

There were a few articles about it at the time but no details as yet (it will be in several titles before GR 4 though)

they did point to the Nintendo DS as being particularly affected by piracy

http://kotaku.com/5323863/ubisoft-plans-to...place-this-year

http://kotaku.com/5323803/ubisoft-sees-sha...arket-ds-piracy

My 2 cents

If by any reason I have to be online even for SP I ain't going to get the game or any game for that matter

I had bad experieces with STEAM already and their offline mode.....When I got deployed to Iraq in 2007

I downloaded my 5 steam games back home and manage to play a few when I had the chance in our AO offline for awhile but maybe 5 months down the road I got the message that I need to log in to steam if I want to keep playing my games well I did manage to log in 5 months later back home because there was no internet avaliable, so there I was with my laptop with 5 games locked by STEAM

Of course at least STEAM give you some time before next log on in their offline mode but for Rise of Flight you have to be connected no matter what and if their servers go down for 5 hrs you can't play your game those 5 hrs

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

###### !?!

Go to hell stupid Ubisoft. Cant believe. What a kind of priority they have? Cant believe that.

They should work on a working anticheat system, work on games and patches, because:

- Far Cry 2 = Failed / Bugs

- Splinter Cell = Failed / Bugs

- GRAW 1+2 = Failed/ Bugs (Bug Sport Movie is coming soon btw)

I will still use cracked games, because a lot of games arent ready when they are released. Moreover demos are missing, so i load cracked versions.

I hate it to buy something what doesnt work and waste around of 45 € on that.

It cant be that difficult to do a demo. And if a publisher dont release a demo, they try to hide their bad product... in my view.

All games i like and play i will buy, but @ first, i use a cracked version for testing if there is no demo.

My suggestion: Forget about it UBISOFT. There are heavy hard ppl. out there who will crack everything you do. Doesnt matter if it is for console or pc.

Moreover i think that new system wont work ... like the most of their games.

@ Rocky: I agree...

The worst thing that could happen is, that the "new securety system" will ruin the game because of incompatibility.

My blood boils :angry:

Isn't it scary how that corporate mindset kicks in...what with these latest UBI press releases you have both Yves and that EndWar lead both pointing to piracy as the reason for poor unit-sales and that it (piracy) needs to be addressed...NOW.

Piracy...and not anything else.

These guys are a hoot! :rofl:

____

@ oz-ares: Buy your games or at least keep the fact that you don't to yourself...you are not helping with the argument.

Shouldn't 'they' focus on making the game first ? :wacko:

I was thinking the same thing. Wow, great feature. Forget about squad control or tactical replay....this baby is going to have the best anti-piracy solution on the market! I can't wait!!!!!

GRAAP - Ghost Recon Advanced Anti Piracy

I'd be surprised if Ubisoft were working on anti piracy instead of GR4 features. If they really are working on an in house solution rather than outsourcing it, it's more likely they have a dedicated team on it, working on a solution for all their games. That'd seem more realistic than having Red Storm's GR4 guys sidetracked.

...____

@ oz-ares: Buy your games or at least keep the fact that you don't to yourself...you are not helping with the argument.

Sorry, iam only honest. And that is my personal solution to their piracy: " Take too much money for unfinished games". I buy those games, which are working and supported.

Moreover: This Thread wont stop them (UBI) to create the system.

I dont have a problem with that. Some "smart" guy will hack it anyway. :thumbsup:

Everybody earns what deserves to him. So i will keep up paying for games ... if they work and / or they are supported.

PS: Last year i spend 390 € for 11 games. ... 4 of them dont work (Arma2 and stuff).

@Rocky: HOT-NEWS "Bulletin" :lol:

Edited by oz-ares

All games i like and play i will buy, but @ first, i use a cracked version for testing if there is no demo.

Thats the way to do it.

Well he said he buys the once he playes, i guess he delets the otheres.

Quarter if you are willing to spend your hard earnt money on unfinshed ###### go ahead.

We not gonna do that. :thumbsup:

I do the same thing. If theres no Demo for sure I'll download it to try it.

If its any good then and worth to buy I'll do that right away, but most of the time its not worth 5$ and I delet em.

And that "try before buy" philosophy saved me allready hundreds of euros.

Silent Hunter 4 , GRAW 2 and ARMA were the latest of those, after that I wasnt even looking on Ubisoft Games anymore.

For me it says everything when a Company has a patch ready for a game on the 1st day it comes out.

Ubisoft ######ed it up way to many times now, maybe that is a reason why the sales of Ubi Games are that bad.

Sure the Pirates have a part on that one, but if you like the game and want to play it online, you need to buy it anyway to get a working cd key.

Ubi needs to think about something. The Pirates dont care about copy Protection, so the only people they gonna harm with Protection are the customers.

Example, I didnt buy Sacred 2 becouse of its Copy Protection. And no I didnt download it neither.

And I gonna do the same thing with GR4 I dont want that overprodected ###### on my PC.

I pay my money for a game and not its ###### protection.

I just hope it wont be too bad, would be sad to miss out another one of the great Ghost Recon series.

Some of you need to check the forums rules before posting again.

[3.7] Warez : Links to warez sites or discussion of warez is not permitted. Breach of this rule can lead to legal proceedings against this site, and will not be tolerated. [Thing that should not be spoken of here] are against the Ubi Soft licencing agreement and are included in this rule - which is strictly enforced.

yes the piracy thing is a joke really in terms of poor sales.

i wonder how sales of Arma2 are going? through the roof i would say, and the reason, good game and great support to the community.

the 2 areas where UBI has no idea, and still, they dont listen to the players.

It has been my experience that the collectors of the ripped versions of games are not the fan base nor are they long term players. Essentially, these are 'typically' not the consumers that would purchase the games anyway. The real excitement for rippers\hackers is the challenge of a new anti piracy technique for them to crack.

Now the real target market are the fans of the brand that keep these games alive. I have purchased every copy of the Rogue Spear and GR series since they've come out. In the case of GR, GRAW1 & 2 I have two copies each and GRAW2 I also have for the PS3. So make a playable game that exceeds the expectation of the GR brand to keep us purchasing and promoting your products. Create a buggy game that does not have the playability, then it is harder for us fanatics to promote to gamers that are on the decision fence.

Console Sales? Not sure what they are talking about, I have not seen any of the GR games on the Best Buy racks in quite a while for the Wii or Playstation. They should at least consider distribution of these as the "classic" or whatever games that are $19 just to keep folks interested. But on the flip side, I have not seen any GR games at used gaming franchises like Game Stop which (at least in my mind) means that folks are keeping these games and not dumping them quickly.

To me it just seem like Ubisoft needs to reenergize the GR brand and antipiracy would not be the way to do it (especially the online logging in as the first poster mentioned). Even if they take a small hit to the pirates, the brand needs to be revitalized in my view.

Thanks,

Bogie

To me it just seem like Ubisoft needs to reenergize the GR brand

I'm anticipating a spectacular build up and "re-energising" from Ubi's marketing team for GR4 - they've really done some great promotional build ups for some games in the last few years.

The current economy might put a bit of a dent in that unfortunately but I am still eager to see what they have in store for us.

Cue "they should spend the money on developing the game" type comments....

• 2 weeks later...

its unfortunate for the sofware industry but the pirates always win. people who pirate either dont realize or dont care that they are the ones who are ruining the industry they love. cost of development goes up and at the same time revenues are going down. its the same with movies and music. maybe one day we'll see DNA copy protection LOL.

if i see the underground sides where i can download games, videos, and mp3's

i understand how its so importen for a pubisher to make his product save.

how many EUR or US-Dollar slips through ubisoft fingers for all the piratcopys of graw2???

and what be able to do with all this money?!?

patchs?!?

addons?!?

all types support?!?

and capital for new projects... so maybe GR4...

It seems like there's a lot of effort going into the anti-piracy for little or no gain, the pirates will always find a way over around or through any protection imaginable.

I havent really got anything against anti-piracy systems, never had any trouble with it myself and I'd say that as long it isn't overly intrusive and they dont skimp on the game itself then who cares what they do with their money?

BUT if they do anything that detracts from the game, then it's going to harm sales anyway and any effect it has on reducing piracy will probably be cancelled out.

It seems like there's a lot of effort going into the anti-piracy for little or no gain, the pirates will always find a way over around or through any protection imaginable.

I agree pirates will prevail, but it's only right publishers should attempt to protect their products, it's when that protection hurts the legitimate buyer (ie rootkits/limited reinstalls etc) I have a serious issue.

it's when that protection hurts the legitimate buyer (ie rootkits/limited reinstalls etc) I have a serious issue.
I would add null-modems/dongles to that mix.

I take issue when they use piracy as an excuse for the recent reduction of (PC) titles in production or to explain away disappointing balance sheet returns.

A worthy product out of the gate and well supported afterward =Dutch treat...with only a few unfortunate, negligible exceptions.