New Mod

Fortran

Here's the full Scooby - Good Luck to you guys!

The new mod is called "S.A.S Evolution" and will be a pretty much total conversion of GR. I sent you pretty much what is on our "About" page so you can see what we are up to. We are located here http://www.sas-evolution.uk.tt

S.A.S Evolution is unlike other S.A.S games that are out at the moment as we are the first modification to lay the emphasis on the historical aspect of the worlds greatest special force.

The player will begin the game back in 1952 shortly after the formation of the 22nd S.A.S in the jungles of Malaya and work their way steadily up to the present day and beyond. Each and every major documented mission of the S.A.S will be playable in ultra-realistic detail, from the deserts of Oman through to the close quarter fighting during the Iranian embassy siege in London and onto the infamous role of the S.A.S during the Gulf war conflict.

After completing all of the historicaly catalogued missions, the player will move into the future to continue the S.A.S's fighting role in geographical locations such as Afghanistan, Russia and North Korea. Battling through a variety of mission styles including covert stealth operations and tactical assaults.

Each mission will feature its own completely new set of skins and weapons that are historically correct for their time. And will be set in a selection of fresh brand new maps. No re-skinning, no re-texturing, everything will be 100% new and uniquely available in "S.A.S Evolution" only.

Below is a brief summary of everything you can come to expect in the first release of "S.A.S Evolution"

10 new single player / co-op missions

10 new maps for single and online multiplay

A huge arsenal of weaponry dating from the 1950's

to the the year 2008

Brand new character models, skins and textures

New vehicles

New single and multi-player mission types

Detailed, historically accurate missions set in Malaya, Borneo, Oman, London, The Gulf, Afghanistan, The Falklands, North Korea and Russia.

Tactical training mission set in the S.A.S killing house

Very nice. A new and original concept, and very ambitious, adding 10 new maps. Once again we see GR taken well beyond the original intentions of the developers. Excellent!!

I do however have a question: we all know that GR command maps are ill suited for CQB. You guys did mention that the Iranian Embassy Siege will be included. How do you plan to overcome this?

Good luck, and pleaase post updates. I'm sure we all are waiting eagerly for this new 'super-mod' to be released.

Out.

Will there be Scud hunting missions and laser designation of targets for the Gulf War?  :rocky:

That is truly uncanny you mentioned that :D. Infact that IS exactly what the Gulf War mission is...The basic mission plan (at present until further factual analysis) is....

OBJECTIVE 1: Secure the border control post

OBJECTIVE 2: Find and destroy fibre optic coms cable running under the sand

OBJECTIVE 3: Tag Scud launcher site with laser guidance device for air strike

OBJECTIVE 4: Get to Evac zone

Sound like the kind of thing you where after ?

Also in response @ XG5KD0

I do however have a question: we all know that GR command maps are ill suited for CQB. You guys did mention that the Iranian Embassy Siege will be included. How do you plan to overcome this?

We are currently breaking this mission apart trying to figure out how we will do this best. One suggestion so far has been to have some sort of modified command map that leaves the building plan very easy to navigate with Alpha, Bravo and Charlie Teams ie. Because the level is ONLY set in the embassy, we can make the building command plan very open.. taking up most of the map command interface...and thus meaning you can actually send A+B or C teams to specific parts of the embassy.

Also in response @ Avey2904

Have you got a release date target??

We are planning to have this out in beta version in no more than 4 months, and fixed and finished in no more than 5 - 6 months.... :blink: fingers x'd !!!

Also tagging onto this...if anybody knows any damm hot mappers out there that would like to join us....please let them know about us :) because its going to be a whole lot of mapping for little old me otherwise !!!

WOW! this is really original. It's really good to see that people can still come up with original mod ideas this long after GR was released. That says a lot about GR and the modding community.

i can't wait for this mod, good luck with it. that's a LOT of map making to do (sorry i don't know anyone who can help. I'm not that good with 3DS max yet).

will it require DS ot IT in a big way? (i hope not, seeing as i don't have them)

What SAS weapons are you including (i have no clue what they used in the 50's)?

GOOD LUCK! :D

WOW! this is really original. It's really good to see that people can still come up with original mod ideas this long after GR was released. That says a lot about GR and the modding community.

i can't wait for this mod, good luck with it. that's a LOT of map making to do (sorry i don't know anyone who can help. I'm not that good with 3DS max yet).

will it require DS ot IT in a big way? (i hope not, seeing as i don't have them)

What SAS weapons are you including (i have no clue what they used in the 50's)?

GOOD LUCK!  :D

:D Thanks for the kind words....Ive had this concept in my head for a while now...but never had the resource of a good enough engine to pull it off properly. Weapons are still in research at the moment, to make sure we get everything historically accurate...but you can be rest assured...if the S.A.S HAD or IS using it...it will be there :) . As for needing IT or DS....no to both. We are working extra hard to design everything from scratch so there will be no need for anything but the basic Ghost Recon (patched to 1.4). This of course will result in a slightly bigger download for you all, but we will try our best to compress it and maybe split it into a collection of smaller files for the guys still on 56k :) So even the slowest connection will be able to grab it without to much pain involved. We are even discussing making it so that you can download the game in sections....ie grab missions 1-4 and play them....then 5-8 etc.. if you dont want to download the whole thing in one go. It shoulnt be a problem, as each mission of the historical campaign is a completley seperate unit with its own sounds/weapons/skins/textures/maps etc.

Edited by Fortran

As for your IRanian Mission... here's an idea. A little far fetched, but it may work.

Make everything 3 times larger than it would be normally. Use scale multipliers for chracters to make them 3 times larger, make the map 3 times larger, make weapons etc 3 times larger... that way, you'll have 3 times the space to work with in the command map.

Kinda basic, but it may work.

Wow cool! I cannot wait for this mod to some out, did you have to tell us this far in advance, now I can’t wait! (joke)

In the gulf War mission will you be able to blow up SCUDs with the M-203? I know you can model that, it was dome with some of the cars in the GR embassy mission…

As for the mission idea, I love it; strait out of Bravo 2-0!

CLARK

Edited by Viper

Wow cool! I cannot wait for this mod to some out, did you have to tell us this far in advance, now I can’t wait! (joke)

In the gulf War mission will you be able to blow up SCUDs with the M-203? I know you can model that, it was dome with some of the cars in the GR embassy mission…

As for the mission idea, I love it; strait out of Bravo 2-0!

CLARK

No, Im afraid not :P . To keep with historical realism, you will have to tag the scud with a laser, which will then complete that objective, this will then trigger an FMV/cutscene of an airstrike where the scud will be destroyed. Although this is no way concrete yet (is more fun than sticking a demo pack on the thing :D ). I am still awaiting another 2 books on the S.A.S to make sure we do this properly.....have allready done a whole load of research.

As for telling you guys so soon...well...we want to try an build a community behind the project, so when It does finally hit, there will be a LOT of pepole waiting to play it...instead of developing it, then trying to promote it afterwards.

@ Ruin....yes thats a great idea !! Basic, but it would definatley work! I will discuss this with the team. Thanks for the suggestion.

I assume you've read Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action, both by Andy McNab, if not, you should really check them out. Since they're both autobioghraphies of his life (BTZ being about his Gulf War SAS experiences, and IA being more about his army/SAS carrear), it should have a lot of helpful info for you guys. Good luck on the mod, it's lookin pretty bad@$$!

In the middle of B20 at the moment, but I don't have a copy of Immediate Action...The other books Im researching from are "The complete Enycolpedia of the S.A.S" by Barry Davies, and im waiting on a copy of the "Complete Illustrated history" of the S.A.S by the same author. Will try and grab a copy of Immediate Action as well though :)

Sounds like you have a lot of good books for info. In IA he talks a lot about his time in Northern Ireland (looking for IRA tanogs) and South America (training their military on how to do drug raids). If you can find it in a local book store or library, then it should help you with some of the urban and jungle things. The screens on the site look sweet, btw.