SWEBAT 2005 - Progress Thread

Tollen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chems...I'm a working man too you know, just dragged my sorry rear end home from another shift :P

I have to agree with the dark lines on the CV9040C's turret, they are indeed way to wide. God know's why I made them that wide in the first place...only excuse I can give is that the turret was my fully handpained texture. :whistle: Shouldn't take me long at all to fix though as those lines are in a separate layer.

The Patgb203's predecessor the SISU XA180 acctually got deployed the first time without the wirecutters, even without armour for the .50 gunner, but quickly got wirecutters fitted after a gunner nearly lost his head due to a wire strung across the road. Luckily the wire caught underneath the .50's barrel and the gunner only got a whak on the arm as the wire tore the .50 off it's mount. As far as I know the .50 took a short flight and fall down into the troop compartment through one of the open rear hatches.

SISU gunner at work, kinda unprotected if you ask me

The armoured "boat" around the gunners station was added pretty quickly after these got deployed to Bosnia...nutty swedish gunners had a tendency to stay behind their gun even when taking massive incoming fire even without that protection.

@Streinger: Don't even need the antenna on modern mines, really modern AT mines work through magnetism and senses when a vehicle drives over it. And during demo training in the army we got taught the best way to improve a normal AT mines efficiency is to place a breakdisc from a car ontop of the mine. Will punch through any vehicles underside! :devil: Had great fun trying that out on an old car, would you believe we never found most of the car after the mine had gone off :blink:

OK...here's some ingame shots I just did, one of each vehicle that packs a gun, apart from the Hkp11 when it carries door gunners that is :devil: Click pics for full res screenies.

Start of with the CV9040C, now with a repainted turret ;)

9040c-ingame_thmb.jpg

Next comes the Pbv302, carrying a full load of 6 soldiers in the troop compartment.

pbv-ingame_thmb.jpg

And lastly the Patgb203, also showing that it's got pretty sharp teeth.

patgb-ingame_thmb.jpg

Snow

AAAAHHHH!!!! That will hurt!

To get shot by the 7.62 from the CV9040C is on thing, but get pounded into the ground by the 20mm on the Pbv302 or Patgb203 will hurt like hell. :P

Great pics though. :yes: Looks like the riflemen in the Pbv302 are eager to get out and hunt someone down. Kind of like they are pushing each other in the back saying "Go go go". :lol:

The CV9040C looks much better like that.

They look awesome in game, like Wolf said the CV9040C looks a little clean compared to the rest! The only thing that niggles me about the first 2 models is the shine on those front wheels of the tracks. And then on Pbv302 the main wheels look so blurred like they are the old GR 256x256 textures. This is gonna be one great mod.

Do swedish soliders really wear the america helmet?

Nice vehicles Snowfella! I can clearly see that your texturing skills has been inproved since you made the CV90. The Patgb203 looks really good with the mud on, specially the wheels looks really convincing now. Personally I also need to get better at texturing custom models and I have spent far more time on the texture for a model I'm working on, then the model itself so I can imagine the "pain" you have felt over all of these. Well, it's gonne be fun to see them ingame soon...

Now a question; the machine gun on the top of the turret on the CV90, is that one you have to operate or can you control it from inside the turret. (In real life, I'm talking about now). On the norwegian version of this vehicle, the CV9030N we only have a machine gun (MG3) attached on the side of the cannon and I guess you have that aswell on the swedish version. Maybe it had been better to use that one as the machinegun if you actually have to operate the one on top of the turret?

If anybody wanna see some of the vehicle Snow has made in real life, check out http://www.mainbattletanks.net/. Some great photos there for the tank freaks!

The MG is controlled from inside on all 3 versions in service today. It's a Ksp 58C, which is a vehicle mounted FN MAG. On the A & B varsions it has the standard mount on the side of the main barrel, which is the same as on the export versions with lower caliber cannons. The C version got the mount moved to the top of the tower simply becouse we didn't want the big hole in the much improved front armor, which is needed when you have a slightly movable MG going though it.

There was prototype armor to use on the B version which shows how big that hole would be and it would reduce the added protection quite alot.

Edited by Wolfsong

Thanks guys :D Said it a 1000 times before but here goes again, always nice with good input!

@Chems: The highlights are there because I haven't bothered redoing the drive wheels on that texture, they are simply the same as on the original Bradleys texure. And same goes for the Pvb302's roadwheels, they are pasted ontop of the original texture. What I could of done though was increases the detail of the mesh but that would of added on quite a few polys. We'll see if I get the time and energy to go in and redo it, kinda flat out here at the moment.

@Biro: as Wolfsong said, the coax mounted MG has been moved from the normal position up to the roof of the turret and through some clever links it still follows the main guns movements and can be fired from the gunners position. Only time you need to pop out is when hooking up a new belt to it or changing the barrel.

Your pretty spot on when it come to the door gunners armament Wolfsong, although you can pretyt much arm them with anything as it's just a matter of assigning them a kit in IGOR. Heck you could probably even arm them with a CG and watch the first one to fire "ejecting" his mate out through the opposite door with the backblast :blink:

hehe...it's indeed free for the scripter to choose. It's simply set up so the bird has 2 ^shotgun helpers, instead of ^seat helpers, that allows placement of 2 soldiers that can fire their weapons. The Pbv302 is set up in the same way but with 6 ^shotgun helpers, making the soldiers carried in it able to provide firesupport alongside the 20mm cannon on the vehicle.

Should work pretty good I'd say. Never tested it using the Huey but I've done some testing with the Pbv302 and the soldiers happily fire away at the tango's. Only downside I've found is that the squad ends up facing the same way in the vehicle as they were when they originally got placed on the map, won't align to the helperpoints.

@Chems; your support Blackhawk worked great, as the chopper flies over, the door gunners are hosing down tangos with their FN-MAGs...

@Snow, that's strange, we never had that problem on my ASLAV. The crew loaded was turning on their ^shotgun points so to aim at the tangos.