a new Total Conversion Mod "Sabotage"

pz3

I was talking about the original campaign mission scripts, as they required some changes relating to view distances, e.g. placing enemies further away from insertion etc.

To make the long drawing distances in Heroes Unleashed work, I had to change not only spotting distance, enemy placements, and distance-related script triggers etc. but also needed to adjust weapons characteristics and actor stats to make it all work together more naturally. To achieve this, I basically ended up trying to model every game aspect to be as realistic as possible.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh gotcha, im just trying figure out why they wont open fire at further distances. It seems like they should once you increase the spot distance in the environment file.

None the less im not planning on redoing the old levels. Was simply testing that "theory" out. View distances out to 600 meters. Im not worried about the weapon stats, as shooting a point target at 300 meters isnt that easy. moving targets at just 150 meters are a pain too lol.

People are hard to kill lol. Anyways it should make the firefights last longer hopefully.

As for that "theory" GR had the skyboxes right. Most clouds dont sit that far off the ground. So their scaling was pretty spot on. The idea was to make the clouds seem smaller and create an optical illusion that the world is much bigger then it really is.

Seems to work out in game quite well. Simple brain perception trickery. :)

Edit***

(seems they dont like the trees) It makes it very easy to sneak up on them if your hiding behind the alpha channel models. Ill have to keep this in mind when creating my models. Might spend a few extra polygons to make sure they are cut as close to the textures as possible.

Edited by pz3

I haven't had any trouble with long spotting distances, in Texas Militia I changed all of the original environments to have no fog (well most of them anyways) and in the fifth campaign mission you can see that the AI work just fine at longer distances. Not sure what is going on, where did you change the spot distance?

No problem skip.

So I've hit a problem. 3dsm5 on a Virtual machine starts acting funny when creating large objects (such as a 400x400 meter map).... and my video card is starting to die. Nextgen games were crashing for sometime now, but GR is starting to crash now >:(

Sabotage will continue but it might have to take a break depending on how long my system lasts. Not bad for a 4 year old machine! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Characters will be in multicam. Just had my m249 file go currupt! Argh.

My backup is uvw mapped but slightly changed uvw mapping so the texture that was halfway done is now toast! Ergh!

*edit* not toast just needs to be repositioned.

Edited by pz3

Isnt the first time this has happened. For whatever reason some of my files go currupt time to time. Its just my system getting old and being beat up so much. its been moved like 11 times in the past 4 years including cross country from alaska to florida. I expect it to die at anytime lol.

Not to mention I overclocked it most of its life. Its definitly burning out.

Its prepped for it to die though. I backup files almost dailys.

None the less m249 is still on track.

Yes pz3 it's mounted on most of the rifles used by socom units such as M4, MK18, MK16 and MK17. If you've played Blood Oil there is a M14 EBR made by Natsanwa that is fitted with the Spectre. Good luck for the mod it will be a great job anyhow.

Various optics will be used in the mod Skip. The elcan is on the list. As well as the M145 and other manufacturers. Rest assured it will be a variety of optics in this mod.

Now gaining help on this mod hasn't really gone so well, instead of focusing all my time on weapons I will have to focus on mixing the models up. I.e. One optic for one weapon. I dont want to recreate a m4 sopmod mod with every weapon in sabotage. It would be a nightmare of kit files and models. Holding me back from working on levels.

So which optic goes on which weapon? I still have to figure it out .

Edited by pz3