Live Action Promo Released

Rocky

I did like the sniper and I'm not discounted the game/graphics yet. I hope it doesn't look like this though. It felt a little too over the top. I'm sure I'll give it a shot.

The thing keeping me going is that it can be very easy to make something that looks cool in concept, ie drawing, 3d model, real-time graphics, and make it look completely cheesy in live action.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not a fan of Live Action trailers. Sorry but just felt like Chris Nolan doing a reboot of the Power Rangers. Pretty much what Brettzies said above. Probably looks great on paper and in-game but completely cheesy "live". Though I do give UBI some props for doing something a bit different.

Though in the whole realm of things, not of it matters one bit to me until I see some actual information regarding the PC version. FYI, the response of we try to make the game play on all platforms the same doesn't cut it for me.

Brilliant! :rofl: It looks so hilariously corny I don't even know where to begin (though the "Russified" ground drone had me nearly choking to death with laughter).

Still, it's a live-action advertisement, not a game demonstration. So all we've really learned it that it's unequivocally a GR game in name only.

Illustrating the realism that the Ghost Recon brand is known for...

Oh dear.

Against my better judgement regarding this forum, I'm going to post my advised fixes to the video overview.

The same ones I posted on Twitter, and IGN.

The Rifle shown is a bullpup configuration assault rifle, with a grenade launcher attachment as well as a "multitool". Not an SMG.

All soldiers use the HULC (the metal leg things if you don't know what I'm talking about) not just the engineer, this can be seen clearly in the trailer, and has been mentioned before in previews of the game.

Not all soldiers can invis, contrary to what the trailer shows at the end, only the recon can.

People are wondering what kind of round was used against the main bad guy by the sniper, from my experience it appears to be .50cal API (armor piercing incendiary).

The drone was not disabled from killing the engineer controlling it. It was either destroyed by an EMP grenade thrown by the recon as he entered the Drone command center, or was disabled by some other high explosive that the recon used to destroy the command center, I'm 99% sure it was a high powered EMP grenade.

Regardless, the trailer was fantastic. If people can't see it is purely to build hype, and to give doubters a look at the "real world" application of future technologies, well there is no better word for them than cynical.

Edited by AlienShogun

I don't make very many posts here, but I do stop by and read most of what is there. I viewed the video that was posted and came away with mixed feelings. One part of me says "Cool", but the other side of me says "?" I'm not up on all the weapons that are used; I leave that to you other guys, but from what I saw there is a possibility that the game might (the magic word is "might") be worth getting.

I'm going to let my game playing son watch the video and see what he says. I've been a fan of Ghost Recon ever since it came out and have been following this forum about any and all updates on this new game. I kind of liked GRAW and GRAW2, but I felt that it just wasn't like the original series. When UBI brought out the GRAW series I had to upgrade my computer and I'm afraid that this will happen again with the new game when it comes out. I'm not much on the sci-fi sort of games and prefer to play something that is more modern. I liked playing the new COD Modern Warefare because of the time line that it took place. But if UBI prefers to place their new game far into the future, I'm not sure I want to be a part of the series, and will continue to play the original.

I'll keep dropping in to see what else you all have to say about the game and will make up my mind from that.

The drone was not disabled from killing the engineer controlling it.

Was it just me or is one of the Ghost controlling the U.S. drone with a Xbox controller? ;)

Regardless, the trailer was fantastic. If people can't see it is purely to build hype, and to give doubters a look at the "real world" application of future technologies, well there is no better word for them than cynical.

LOL, no shortage of cynics around here. Seriously though, it is good to see different opinions, especially supported by some well thought out commentary.

The drone was not disabled from killing the engineer controlling it.

Was it just me or is one of the Ghost controlling the U.S. drone with a Xbox controller? ;)

LOL, no shortage of cynics around here. Seriously though, it is good to see different opinions, especially supported by some well thought out commentary.

Yep, I saw that too. (the controller)

@Alienshogun (in response to your post and tweets)...

In my report I said "SMG or Assault Rifle (it's been called both)" which is a true statement. I realize it's a bullpup and even called it a bullpup in one of my reports. There are SMG Bullpups. It could be either and nothing is known for certain at this point. Saying it's not a SMG because it's a bullpup isn't entirely accurate. The first trailer calls it an SMG - so that's what was reported. Regardless, it's a rather inconsequential point...can we agree on calling it a gun?

I don't need more proof on the HULC. The HULC, also called an exoskeleton, was reported to be available to the engineer class, yet everyone seems to be wearing it. Perhaps more cinematics. I didn't call it HULC, because Ubisoft hasn't officially called it HULC, at least in the material I have seen. If Ubisoft is calling it HULC and it's available to everyone, then I would agree that's what it is, but I haven't seen that yet. I try to minimize what I think and report what is consistent with the information that has been released.

Your point about not all soldiers can cloak contrary to what the trailer shows is essentially the same thing I said, so I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to make. The live action video contradicts some of what is known about gameplay. I would agree it's likely for the cinematic effect, but it's still a disparity, so I pointed it out.

Watching the trailer, you don't really notice the affect of the sniper rounds unless you slow it down. One of the developers was quoted as saying, "Bullet Technology has changed. It's not longer about the delivery system, it's about the bullet." Could this be API - yes. Could it be something else - yes. I thought it was interesting, so I pointed it out. Future soldier seems to be introducing so much new technology, I was purely speculating on possible future ammunition technology, not what exists today.

Since my report included a picture of the Drone Command Center and the audio about "30K" infiltrating the Drone Command Center, then the obvious explanation for the drone going inactive was the grenade blast (yes, I suppose it could've been an EMP grenade since the magazine articles discussed this), but after reviewing the video closer, I changed my opinion. I could be wrong (and probably am)...but I think it is either VERY ironic that the soldier to the right of the drone falls exactly in sync, frame by frame, with the drone or his death has something to do with it. It's also a bit troubling to think that the Ghost's can operate their drone by a single operator, but the Russians need an entire command center to operate theirs. I concede that it might be coincidental, but again...it's something I thought was interesting so I pointed it out.

I guess about the only thing we agree on is you did call the Attila tank correctly. It was indeed Russian. I don't know if you have read all of my reports, but I actually discreetly referenced our Twitter conversation to introduce the possibility it was a futuristic Russian tank.

For the record, I'm pretty pleased with the reports and feedback I have received from them. While there may be personal opinions or points that turn out to be wrong (or not entirely correct) I don't think I shoot from the hip and release irrelevant information. These reports are generated fairly soon after the media is made public, so I have a very short time to produce something interesting to read. I hope that these reports generate a little buzz for a game that all (or at least some) are excited about and not a lot of information has been given. If you like it, great. If you don't, then by all means, skip reading it.

Cheers.

Ok.... It was late at night when i saw the trailer, after watching it today with a fresh mind and reading post. It has come clear that I also have mixed feeling about GRFS, we all must accept the fact we will never get our Ghost Recon back, but rather being hasty to judge, lets give it a chance on the overall.

But I still have my bones to pick like a savage crow cause we already fought ultra nationalist Russians 9 years ago in [GR], how many revolutions can Russia have in a 2008-2020(?) time frame? I mean, lets go to the jungles of and cities of southern Africa or something different.

Next, that little Russian drone also bugs me still cause its just not going to be Russian hardware for maybe 25 more years guessing. So in all it was absolutely wrong, and same goes with the tank, thats just not a real tank, that pure sci fi. Unless UBI watch "The Universe - Space Wars" and are assuming our near future look based on real research.

Now for the weapons, the assault rifles are just negative, but I did catch a good look at an AK74 so theres little realism, and those other the Russians use look like mocked up Groza's. But for the ghost, we get the Barret 82/107(thankfully) and a bunch of toy guns?? Leave the airsoft at home.

Now for the HULC, I must give kudos for it since it does appear at current rate it will be used. For the cloak, Im still debating with myself about as it is in research(no different then laser, rail, and gauss mounted vehicle guns). So I think I will leave cloak alone and not rag on it to much.

Commando, engineer, recon, sniper? what happened to normal units, rifleman, automatic rifleman, grenadier, sniper? Also if UBI would really want to base a GR title on future, keep it real and please all fans, the Land Warriors would be better to use in the game and realistic.

Overall I already have all this pretty much in Crysis, but GRFS does look interesting even though its not the normal Ghost Recon so I most likely am going to give it a chance and wont wait it out till its on the $10.00 like I did with GRAW.

But still dont change my feelings toward UBI or RSE, I dont like them still. But I honestly give my congrats for GRIN as they did an impressive job and much work for us then what we really had in years. Also I have to give my thanks to the modders of Ghost Recon even the ones that goes back 10 years ago, Snowfella, Prozac, Brettzies, Swartzs and so many many others, everyone that has contributed to Ghost Recon from past and present.

No matter how GRFS turns out, we know it wont be how we want it, but I hope we will enjoy it to some degree that will keep servers up with at least 500 people daily.

I don't consider myself to be very cynical at all. But sometimes, things just are cheesy. There's no law against liking it though, I like plenty of cheesy things. Some people thought the ODST live action looked cheesy, while I liked it, felt more real. So go figure.

I've said it before though, I can't judge the game based on this ridiculous trailer. Cpl Ledenak posted some Ghost in the Shell images of similar stuff. You could do this trailer in anime style and I bet it would be the most bad-ass thing ever. Do it in live action with cheapo cg fx and it looks like cheese ball heaven to me. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Both GRAWs on 360 were solid presentation games to me, MP and SP. They were not GR, but still good. GRAW PCs a more mixed bag. Given that most developers would not risk a PC specific game these days, GRFS will be par for the course I'm sure.

BTW, the letters GRFS look dumb to me as well. Looks and sounds like GRUFS or groofus, which remind me of doofus. I hate to say it, but this game even has a bad acronym. I hope the final product can save all the crap I've seen so far. Makes me wonder where they got their marketing people and if they have a clue...just one. Then again, it'll probably still sell like hotcakes in spite of them, and they'll feel like geniuses. I hate that.

@Alienshogun (in response to your post and tweets)...

In my report I said "SMG or Assault Rifle (it's been called both)" which is a true statement. I realize it's a bullpup and even called it a bullpup in one of my reports. There are SMG Bullpups. It could be either and nothing is known for certain at this point. Saying it's not a SMG because it's a bullpup isn't entirely accurate. The first trailer calls it an SMG - so that's what was reported. Regardless, it's a rather inconsequential point...can we agree on calling it a gun?

I don't need more proof on the HULC. The HULC, also called an exoskeleton, was reported to be available to the engineer class, yet everyone seems to be wearing it. Perhaps more cinematics. I didn't call it HULC, because Ubisoft hasn't officially called it HULC, at least in the material I have seen. If Ubisoft is calling it HULC and it's available to everyone, then I would agree that's what it is, but I haven't seen that yet. I try to minimize what I think and report what is consistent with the information that has been released.

Your point about not all soldiers can cloak contrary to what the trailer shows is essentially the same thing I said, so I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to make. The live action video contradicts some of what is known about gameplay. I would agree it's likely for the cinematic effect, but it's still a disparity, so I pointed it out.

Watching the trailer, you don't really notice the affect of the sniper rounds unless you slow it down. One of the developers was quoted as saying, "Bullet Technology has changed. It's not longer about the delivery system, it's about the bullet." Could this be API - yes. Could it be something else - yes. I thought it was interesting, so I pointed it out. Future soldier seems to be introducing so much new technology, I was purely speculating on possible future ammunition technology, not what exists today.

Since my report included a picture of the Drone Command Center and the audio about "30K" infiltrating the Drone Command Center, then the obvious explanation for the drone going inactive was the grenade blast (yes, I suppose it could've been an EMP grenade since the magazine articles discussed this), but after reviewing the video closer, I changed my opinion. I could be wrong (and probably am)...but I think it is either VERY ironic that the soldier to the right of the drone falls exactly in sync, frame by frame, with the drone or his death has something to do with it. It's also a bit troubling to think that the Ghost's can operate their drone by a single operator, but the Russians need an entire command center to operate theirs. I concede that it might be coincidental, but again...it's something I thought was interesting so I pointed it out.

I guess about the only thing we agree on is you did call the Attila tank correctly. It was indeed Russian. I don't know if you have read all of my reports, but I actually discreetly referenced our Twitter conversation to introduce the possibility it was a futuristic Russian tank.

For the record, I'm pretty pleased with the reports and feedback I have received from them. While there may be personal opinions or points that turn out to be wrong (or not entirely correct) I don't think I shoot from the hip and release irrelevant information. These reports are generated fairly soon after the media is made public, so I have a very short time to produce something interesting to read. I hope that these reports generate a little buzz for a game that all (or at least some) are excited about and not a lot of information has been given. If you like it, great. If you don't, then by all means, skip reading it.

Cheers.

I assure you it's a bullpup assault rifle. I never said BECAUSE it is bullpup it is an assault rifle. I've never seen an SMG with a loadout like that. (grenade launcher and bipods) In fact, I would bet you a copy of the game that it's an assault rifle. ;)

They can call it what they want, but everyone is wearing a hulc. Perhaps there is another exoskeleton that only engineers can use? Because from my understanding EVERYONE can "throw themselves around the environment."

It is clearly evident that everyone has load bearing equipment attached to them.

I was agreeing with you about the cloak, the new pics are showing that soldiers can utilize a limited cloak. I'm betting this is not a complete cloak (ala recon) and is merely to break up soldier silouete just like live vegetation is used today.

I understand your being cautious about the round being used, but I would still think its API. The close up you were examining is the exact same reaction API gives on contact. Also, from the size of the casing it appears to be 50 cal.

While the soldier is controlling it and dies, I believe the "Drone command center" complete with a giant drone control board IS being destroyed IS the cause of the drone blowing up.

You seem pretty defensive from what I have said, and like I said, I'm not busting your balls. I'm trying to help by supplying information from another veteran that may be a fresh pair of eyes, and opinion.

No need to be so defensive. No one is attempting to steal your thunder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Some minor campaign spoilers*

Whole slew of new info from the may issue of OXM. Even regarding the cloaking regular soldiers (using the link system). As well as everyone having an exoskeleton.

* The game will feature split-screen cooperative play, but it's yet to be determined if it will be two or four players.

* Soldiers in Future Soldier benefit from "load-bearing leg braces that enable them to move swiftly" even as they're covered in a ton of heavy technology.

* Gamers can sprint to cover, slide-tackle enemies, and hurdle low obstacles thanks to their new exoskeleton.

* A first for the series, the soldiers will have close-combat takedowns at their disposal. The takedowns are based on various forms of martial arts.

* The team is divided into four members, each with a different class. The classes are: Commando, Engineer, Sniper, and Recon.

* Commando is very similar to a standard soldier, using a rifle with multiple components and shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Engineer has loadouts including a UAV drone which can be steered by the soldier. Sniper features the main advantage of identifying targets. Recon features the optical camo (invisible cloak), and will be what most gamers want to play as. However, when not cloaked, you'll be quite distinguishable on the battlefield.

* The game begins with "the Russian president being kidnapped by extremists, and instead of breaking out the popcorn for a cutscene, you'll be in the shoes of one of his bodyguards. Regardless of how well you may perform during this sequence, you won't be successful, and the capture of the Russian leader is the flashpoint that kicks off what becomes a truly international campaign."

* The game will feature quite a few different settings for the game, being much removed from the bland Mexico settings fans were used to.

* Teammate A.I. has been much improved. Your A.I. partners will move like they have "ten to twelve years of military training". Instead of running in front of you, they're more prone to follow like squadmates should.

* The partners are said to cover your flank and angles you can't always get to when you move forward.

* With the tap of a button, you can follow your teammate automatically. Doing this technique will allow you to focus on enemy fire, and keep an eye on your teammates back as you continue forward. All four players can actually link up at once as well.

* The link-up feature is available in multiplayer too. Stand close enough to a cloaked squadmate in multiplayer, and you'll be cloaked. Future Soldier is aiming to encourage teamwork over everything else.

* The co-op is four players, and completely drop-in/drop-out co-op for the campaign mode. Multiplayer is said to be 8vs8, and contains classic modes such as capture-the-flag and domination.

* The Persistent Elite Creation system from Rainbow Six Vegas 2 will make its way into the title. Meaning, your items in the campaign will be synchronized with those items you use in multiplayer along with your character.

Edited by AlienShogun

Certainly not being defensive - just responding to your tweets and posts as you seemed to indicate you wanted me to. You've made your point. I've responded. You've replied. I acknowledge your response. There is no thunder to steal...if I were worried about that I wouldn't be publishing these reports as Scott Mitchell.

Certainly not being defensive - just responding to your tweets and posts as you seemed to indicate you wanted me to. You've made your point. I've responded. You've replied. I acknowledge your response. There is no thunder to steal...if I were worried about that I wouldn't be publishing these reports as Scott Mitchell.

Regardless of who is right about what (we will learn that soon enough) I really can't wait for the game.

That OXM info got me even more excited.

Edited by AlienShogun

I could care less about being right...I'm more interested in promoting the game and generating a little buzz for it. It's got some stiff competition and a lot of very doubtful seasoned veterans around here, it needs all the help it can get.

Has anyone been able to download the 1080p trailer? i cant get it extracted from winrar without curruptions.

No joy.

I've sent Rocky a message letting him know...I'm sure he'll be wakey wakey here in a bit and get it taken care of.

Thanks Scott cause that corruption is annoying me all evening, been trying to get it or find a site that has it. Been waiting for Rocky also, but thought I ask since im getting very impatient cause I been on computer all days for this. LOL

And you guys!!!! Lets give the new Ghost Recon a chance, even a small one from everyone whose so ###### off with the series now days. I share the same feelings about GR, but I am actually finally going to give it a fresh chance.

Edited by AnthonyLunkwitz

Is this gameplay?It looks like real characters fits in a video game...Well if gameplay looks like this,I can't wait to tried this one out...for me the more a game looks real the better I have the feel that I am not in a game.

The closer they will get to reality,that's what I expect from a game...to be tactical,emersive and a great story.

I have no problems at all with the path that this game is taking mean all the future gadgets and I don't care if most peoples doesn't agree with me :)...

Before saying more....I'll wait for a real time gaming video...but this looks promissing!

:thumbsup:

In certain aspects of gaming, such as in multiplayer, competing in TDM or coop. I feel that this game could be fun, as long as the sci fi stuff is obsolete. Being that you just have your rifle and are going at it so to speak. The graphics and realism must be top notch in character. The funny part about all this partaining to the GR series is that this game just failed to follow it's roots and that the more we ask for the ole GR pc game we really fell in love with, it just gets more off the charts with the scifi series of games. We probably should have asked for drones and robotics years ago and might of wound up with a gem of a game by now, being that we have just just been ignored considerably along the way. I think GRIN was forced to do the future soldier bit, but did a really decent job with realism and game play for multiplayer, graphics are pretty cool as well. My point being if Future soldier can give us something stunning with some nice gameplay, we could make this game our own again for the community. I really for see a console port and just really can't believe what [GR] pc did to me, It just turned me into a military sim junky, and here I am just wishful thinking being that this is a GR title being created by RSI, just hoping that there might be something there that we can enjoy and build a community around. I think we know how easy this could be for these developers to create a really bitchin realistic game on the basis of [GR].

Edited by wildbill

Thanks Scott cause that corruption is annoying me all evening, been trying to get it or find a site that has it. Been waiting for Rocky also, but thought I ask since im getting very impatient cause I been on computer all days for this. LOL

Apologies about the corrupt download, blinking Filefront :wall:

I have updated the entry with the download off our own download server so it should be good to go now. :thumbsup:

Maybe iam just stupid and iam totally not able to get it, but what exactly has GR4 to to with the wole GR series?

I totally dont get it. The only thing i recognize is the logo of the ghosts, thats all. :(

I just ask one question everytime i read about the game.WHAT happend to the RECON part of the game?

How can you sneek about in the woods with a UAV drone i front of you.They'll hear you from miles away.

My beloved Ghost Recon is dead. R.I.P :(

Long live Ghost Recon 2001