What does Ghost Recon mean to you?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replying to: What does Ghost Recon mean to you?

Intensive focus concentrated upon the stated purpose. :shifty:

____

@Kimi: Is this ("What's your favorite GR color?") type of thread supposed to take the place of any real news or useful information of a potential new title, or are you acting solo in an unofficial basis.

@WK :P

@Fletch: Just as some explanation before I get back on topic, I'm not currently in Hawaii but grew up there, which is why I always notice any Hawaii association. As WK points out, I'm in North Carolina at the Red Storm studio.

@NoQuarter: It's simply discussion. We really don't have anything official to chat about right now, so I thought some general discussion would be interesting to jaw about for now. It's been a bit since the last GR title was released, and it's interesting (to me) to re-visit things to gauge status quo.

It's been a bit since the last GR title was released, and it's interesting (to me) to re-visit things to gauge status quo.

Well, to help things along, I can give you a recap of course of events of the last eight years:

- GR is released; we were happy.

- GR expansions were released; we were more happy.

- GR2 PC was cancelled; we were somewhat disappointed.

- GRAW version specifically for PC was announced; we were optimistic.

- GRAW1&2 (PC) were released; we were seriously disappointed.

- GR4 was announced; we didn't dare to be optimistic.

Hope this helps! :)

A better question to ask would be Name 3 missions from any of the Ghost Recon games that you feel best represent Ghost Recon and explain why.

For me it would be:

Caves : Just because it was the first mission in the [Ghost Recon]. For that everytime I think of Ghost Recon it's impossible not to think of Caves. Plus it got you to change your perception of shooters. This was about moving slowly and checking the treelines. Is that the wind moving a bush in the distance or is it the enemy, Quick get your sniper to check. Brilliantly immersive.

Polling Centre : This mission emphasised how Ghost Recon was doing urban combat long before GRAW and doing it exceptionally well. It really showed how GR could really shake it up and go from long range combat to CQB and still keep it's core appeal. It also showed how more intense FPV urban combat is to OTS wall hugging urban combat from later games.

Peaks : Massive open snow map from Ghost Recon Summit Strike. The best part was after taking out the artillery ( in any order you wanted ) you got to attack a village from a range of directions. You could actually snipe down a mountain at the soldiers in the village. This mission was all about choice and after the scripted events of GR2 it was a welcome return to tactical planning.

Edited by BS PALADIN

A better question to ask would be Name 3 missions from any of the Ghost Recon games that you feel best represent Ghost Recon and explain why.

For me it would be:

Caves : Just because it was the first mission in the [Ghost Recon]. For that everytime I think of Ghost Recon it's impossible not to think of Caves. Plus it got you to change your perception of shooters. This was about moving slowly and checking the treelines. Is that the wind moving a bush in the distance or is it the enemy, Quick get your sniper to check. Brilliantly immersive.

Polling Centre : This mission emphasised how Ghost Recon was doing urban combat long before GRAW and doing it exceptionally well. It really showed how GR could really shake it up and go from long range combat to CQB and still keep it's core appeal. It also showed how more intense FPV urban combat is to OTS wall hugging urban combat from later games.

Peaks : Massive open snow map from Ghost Recon Summit Strike. The best part was after taking out the artillery ( in any order you wanted ) you got to attack a village from a range of directions. You could actually snipe down a mountain at the soldiers in the village. This mission was all about choice and after the scripted events of GR2 it was a welcome return to tactical planning.

Great post! I definitely agree with you on Caves and Peaks. I would add Fuel Depot from GR 2 because that map was just so fun and intense. It was massive... and you could also do things a bit out of order... (you never lazered the fuel supply until you took out the first wave of enemy)

I have so many fond memories of that map. I also really enjoy Locks from GRAW II... but Caves, Peaks and Fuel Depot would be probably be the top three.

I know this is the PC area of GR 4, but nobody seems to be posting on the GR 4 XBox 360 forum... which concerns me. It could also signal a time for change for me... getting GR 4 for PC instead of console... but then I'd need to get a new computer... a more comfortable chair... LOL... all that might bring the cost of the game for me up to roughly $2,500.00 bucks... LOL

missions..

-training camp will always be my favorite, just working my way through the rain towards the enemy camp up ahead...some of the best ambience in the series.

-witchfire..mission 6...again a mission that allows a paced approach with a series of buildings to clear once you enter the compound...ambushing the rebel truck is always fun as well.

cant decide on a third..

zebra staw...because as soon as the mission starts you are in a race to assault the town lest you want to have the tank destroyed....I dont like how the newer games force the pace on the player..here though it is expertly done....its a great change of pace.

riverbed...its just fun to disappear in the brush and totally destroy the enemy...one of the "easier" missions but one of the most fun.

Edited by 5timechamp

Kimi, you asked for the top three thoughts about the Ghost Recon brand, and to that effect I have to say:

Top 3 Thoughts on Ghost Recon - The Brand (2001-2009):

• Botched Sequel Policy

• Abandoned Game Concept

• Abandoned Fans

Admittedly, this may sound a bit harsh, but these are my thoughts about the brand at this point in time, because for my taste (and I believe I'm not the only one here) the last true Ghost Recon game was released in 2001 - almost ten years ago - and people like me, who fell in love with the unique character of the game back then, have been thirsting for more of the true Ghost Recon magic ever since. If it wasn't for the oasis of GR.net, where fans could drink from the fountain of rejuvenating mods, our fandom would probably have died of thirst by now.

This thirst could not be quenched by "advanced" and console-oriented substitutes, because they lacked what made the original so very special: In a world of fast-paced linear action shooters, the one true Ghost Recon stood alone with a free-paced non-linear tactical approach, which somehow got lost on the rocky road of sequels.

If instead you were to ask me for the top three thoughts about the words, the name Ghost Recon - not the brand, not the franchise as a commercial product - my answer would be quite different and reflect just my thoughts on the one game from 2001 - the only one that truly deserves this name in my book. Although I have already used three words to characterize Ghost Recon in the previous paragraph ("free-paced", "non-linear", "tactical"), those are not my first thoughts about the game, because they are just technical terms and represent nothing more than a means to an end. What they lead to in Ghost Recon can indeed be summed up in ONE word:

Top 3 Thoughts on Ghost Recon - The Game (2001):

• Immersion

• Immersion

• Immersion

Immersion is the aspect of a game that allows us to flee from the confines of our everyday reality - which is fun, and fun is what gaming should be about, after all. There are many ways to create suspenseful immersion and make a game entertaining, but the way Ghost Recon handles this goal is just breathtaking. In my LAN-party clan we have coined the term "Ghost Recon Posture" for the way all of us end up sitting in front of our computers after a long GR gaming session: We keep crawling closer and closer to our monitors until we end up with our noses almost touching the screen in a futile effort to better spot the enemy. The final stage of this posture is reached when you try to look around the screen boundaries to increase your viewing angle (we catch ourselves doing this all the time).

• 2 weeks later...

For me, "Ghost Recon" stands for:

1. Recon

To me, the "Recon" in Ghost Recon is all about vast maps and landscapes with multiple objectives. Being heavily outnumbered by tangos and relying on stealth and using the terrain to succeed.

I clearly remember my jaw hitting the desk the first time I saw the vast landscapes with the swaying trees in Ghost Recon in 2001. After that, its been a tad too much urban environment for my taste.

2. Realism

Including great AI. I cannot count the number of times my friends and I have burst into laughter because the AI (especially in GRAW1 and GRAW2) did something cool and unexpected and took us by surprise.

3. Cooperative gameplay

My friends and I have spent thousands of hours since 2001 playing campaign coop in Ghost Recon+DS+IT, GRAW1 and GRAW2 over and over again. 6 hours a week, every week :)

Together, these elements combine and create a very special feeling that we have been looking for in every game since Ghost Recon, but which we have very seldomly found.

:) MadMike

EDIT:

4. Character movement

I have to mention this also. GRAW1 has the best and most fluent character movement I have ever experienced in a game. I walk, run, slide on my back, crouch and tip-toe and it all feels perfectly natural and very very tactically useful.

I never thought much about why character movement is so important until I just tried Armed Assault 2, where the character movement feels so clumsy and 1999 that I cant seem to even run in a straight line. So KUDOS to GRIN.

Edited by MadMike