MP - whaddya think?

Lightspeed

ROCO*AFZ* you seem to miss, that CoD's goal never was to deliver a realistic shooter in any way. CoD always was about arcade and so-to-speak non-realism.

That is why all these things are there and it was all well known before the game has been released.

You obviously don't want all that - maybe there are servers with perks and ranks disabled - this way you should get what you want.

The small maps are part of the game (so far), to keep the speed up, CoD is a fast-paced game. But all that was also known before release. Did you buy the game without making sure there is ANYTHING about it you actually could like ? :hmm:

It will take another week or so before more "useful" servers show up, where it is more about your team and not yourself - but right now most people obviously want to get to know the Multiplayer for themselves.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROCO*AFZ* you seem to miss, that CoD's goal never was to deliver a realistic shooter in any way. CoD always was about arcade and so-to-speak non-realism.

That is why all these things are there and it was all well known before the game has been released.

You obviously don't want all that - maybe there are servers with perks and ranks disabled - this way you should get what you want.

The small maps are part of the game (so far), to keep the speed up, CoD is a fast-paced game. But all that was also known before release. Did you buy the game without making sure there is ANYTHING about it you actually could like ? :hmm:

It will take another week or so before more "useful" servers show up, where it is more about your team and not yourself - but right now most people obviously want to get to know the Multiplayer for themselves.

I played the demo... gameplay was different... lots of action but of course it was single player... and i don't think i saw any perks. Besides that i bought it because our squad was... Right now GRAW2 is still the closest to what i want but i was looking for a game with more laddering... not quake.

It's called "Modern warfare" but it isn't anything like the way soldiers really fight.

I picked a quiet server for my first attempt at online, there was only 2 or 3 of use to start with, building to about 4 or 5 I think.

My GR training must have stood me in good stead because I was ripping up Lvl 7's when I was still a Lvl 1 with no clue about gaining or using the extras. Got 6 straight kills at one point and didn't realise I could call use radar or something until later on in the game.

Maps were tiny, but that suited me to start with.

I was crying out for a single shot ROF though.

The game is great for all that it is meant to be. Team deathmatch can definetly give you a headache after a while because of the constant action. The one part i don't like or dislike now is how there are no real frontlines due to the smart spawn system, which is good and all, but i would rather have a definite frontline type deal, also the maps are small but have so many entry points that camping is impossible and it becomes claustrophobic at times. All in all though I love the MP, and SP can get difficult, I will play this for a while to come. The whole rank system is to me in place as a sort of way to addict people to keep playing, with graw2 all the guns were always there and there were no ranks that gave me no motivation to really play, but thats just me. See you guys on the battlefield later.

The game is fun and we're having a good time with it, but Vent is suspiciously quiet cuz the run and gun stops any kind of tactical gameplay. It's very good for a die/respawn game but I don't see it as anything that we'd consider laddering in. I keep thinking how killer it would be to have these types of maps in GRAW2 as well as some of the characteristics that are in CoD4. The smoke is awesome, dust and dirt kicked up obscures the view real well. And as was said earlier, 16 maps. The m/p maps are nothing more than what's in s/p, and that's where GRIN screwed the pooch. Vhladd ported all the s/p maps over in a couple weeks w/no knowledge of how to do so.

CoD4 has some fantastic qualities, and it looks and acts like a finished game. GRIN could learn a lot from it.

I decided to give CoD4 a try and after weekend with this game i must say I’m not disappointed. It is exactly what I expected. Is it realistic ? definitely NO. Is it fun ? hell yeah ! IS it tactical ? Yes and no, it depends on server you play.

I’m on 6th or 7th campaign mission, just after AC130 air support mission and I must say that SP is a blast ! It’s like taking part in great war movie, its not realistic but it is pure adrenalin. But I didn’t bought the game for SP and what is most important to me, I really like MP. I must honestly admit that I had few game I didn’t like a lot, it was few first game on random servers, accidently landed on sever with 30 ppl playing DM on small map. It was horrible, even worst than CS, pure madness. Spawn and kill spawn and kill grenades poping out everywhere, nade spam from the sky and ppl runing like hell spraying everywhere. I left server after first round and found myself serwer with hardcore mod playing search & destroy and it was completely different experience, lots of tactical situations, no respawn, slowly advancing through ruined city. Its great because is a bit similar to GR siege. But it changes during round, first one tem has to defend three locations and than if they fail and opposing team plant bomb they have to move their asses from camping …. ehmmm defend positions and try to disarm the bomb while assaulting team tries to defend the bomb. I also played domination and HQ and I like those mods to.

I found two hardcore server with decent ppl onboard and played a lot on those server, those servers are The Wild Bunch hardcore and The Wild Bunch mandown ( both runing hardcore mode), those server have only one flaw, to much slots.

After two days I’m sure that best cod4 experience for players like me is playing hardcore servers ( s&d, domination or hq) with max 20 slots, 32 slots is way to much for maps available in Cod4. When I mentioned maps I have to say that I love the layout and design, maps are polished and well thought over. They are a bit small but offer lots of hiding spots, lots of flanking routes and long alleys great for firefights. And what is very important for me maps are different from each other, I hated in GRAW that maps were same looking in same day phase and weather conditions. In cod 4 we have maps in different location, during sunny day, during night, during heavy rain and I love it.

Ok enough good stuff now for few annoying things, sometimes I have weird problems with connecting servers, I click connect and after 10 countdown I receiver “connection error†communicate after few tries I finally manage to connect but it is very annoying, I didn’t had problems like that in any other online game and I'm picking servers with ~50 ping so it's not the problem with my internet connection or hardware. Another annoying thing is lack of ROF selection, I don’t understand how they could forget about that very basic thing for a game like this ? I love using shotguns on tight maps ( vacant ) but I have a felling that shotgun is completely useless on distances longer than 20 feet, it’s like shot disappears after passing certain distance I know that shotgun cant be compared to rifle but camon ? 20 feet ?!

To sum it up, I really like the game and I probably gona play it for some time ( because of lack any good realistic tac shooters) . I hope we can find some good hardcore severs with >20 slots and experience there some good tactical gameplay with GRNET members .

See You Guys online.

Edited by Joseph_Q

The game is fun and we're having a good time with it, but Vent is suspiciously quiet cuz the run and gun stops any kind of tactical gameplay. It's very good for a die/respawn game but I don't see it as anything that we'd consider laddering in. I keep thinking how killer it would be to have these types of maps in GRAW2 as well as some of the characteristics that are in CoD4. The smoke is awesome, dust and dirt kicked up obscures the view real well. And as was said earlier, 16 maps. The m/p maps are nothing more than what's in s/p, and that's where GRIN screwed the pooch. Vhladd ported all the s/p maps over in a couple weeks w/no knowledge of how to do so.

CoD4 has some fantastic qualities, and it looks and acts like a finished game. GRIN could learn a lot from it.

Yes Rugg... lately I have been trying to play the no-respawn servers (S&D) or the hardcore servers. A bunch of guys on comms, and you got yourself some tactical gameplay. As a matter of fact, I really like the no-respawn games the best. Along with the objective based gametypes...you have yourself some real fun. I wonder how I lasted enjoying TDM for so long. The objectives draw the adversaries to a common point. Very tense. Instead of people just flying all over the map, and some just camping in a bush on the outskirts waiting for a passerby.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Most of the Objective games i played last night with limited or no spawns might as well have been TDM. Whoever had the bomb was just an easy target.

It is however better with no mayhem of the public unlimited spawns, but...

I think you can turn off a lot of the icons. I'm not sure how, but I bet Viiiper will figure it out sooner rather than later.

Most of the Objective games i played last night with limited or no spawns might as well have been TDM. Whoever had the bomb was just an easy target.

It is however better with no mayhem of the public unlimited spawns, but...

I think you can turn off a lot of the icons. I'm not sure how, but I bet Viiiper will figure it out sooner rather than later.

It would be great to at least make them smaller.

Well, yeah, that mode (sabotage) that shows where the bomb carrier is isn't supposed to be played with no respawns. :rofl:

Sabotage is supposed to be an ongoing struggle to advance the bomb along the map -- a bit like soccer, really. It starts in the middle, and both teams are trying to push it to the other team's base. Doesn't really work at all without respawns.

Try Search and Destroy, it's the only no-respawn out of the box mode, and it's designed to be slow and tactical. Not meant for huge teams, though, I wouldn't go above 6vs6.

I wonder how I lasted enjoying TDM for so long. The objectives draw the adversaries to a common point. Very tense. Instead of people just flying all over the map, and some just camping in a bush on the outskirts waiting for a passerby.

I'm gonna give that a try, on your recommendation. :)

Is S&D the one where you don't see the bomb carrier on the map? That's the one I like the best.

Yeah. S&D is meant to be a slow tactical mode, Sabotage is meant to, like I said, resemble a soccer match. Conflict trying to push the bomb back and forth to either side of the map, and if you're playing it without respawns it won't work at all. The ball game analogy fits, and it's why they show where the bomb carrier is -- the point is for everyone to converge on his position.

I'd seek out some Search and Destroy servers if you want tactical play, it's the mode that's best suited for it, and the only one designed to be played without respawns.

LOL COLIN - thats gold mate.

yeh enjoying the run n gun for the moment and the training im getting to react faster then ive ever had to before.

but really looking forward to some maps double the size, with limited ro no respawns, some good objectives.

although not realistic according to the experts - I really like the balance across the board with the weapons and the perks. i really feel that by taking one weapon I will be at a disadvantage in other areas but benefit in certain tactical situations.

I really like the balance across the board with the weapons and the perks. i really feel that by taking one weapon I will be at a disadvantage in other areas but benefit in certain tactical situations.

Same here.

Ive created classes for different purposes like tight cqc - shotgun, m92, c4, extra health and droping nade when killed ( dont remeber perk names ;) ) and i also have classes for long range engagements ( maps like crossfire or rocket facility) - sniper rifle, silenced m92, clamore, more stoping power and deep impact.

Edited by Joseph_Q

Last night (by accident) I joined a hardcore server, at times there would have been probably 10 people in it.

I must say it was great fun, certainly not as fast paced as a standard mode game; I guess it was mainly due to the 1 shot 1 kill, if you like to run in the open ,chances are that your not going to make it, it’s definitely a case of the first straight shot wins.

Looking forward to many more Hardcore game in the future.

By the way, my weapon of choice, the ever reliable G3.

Yeh I played on the sparta HC server and was starting to get the hang of it. I even picked up a couple of reward thingys, like x-ray vision for shooting someone through a wall.

I have to say that CoD multiplayer has to be one of the best out of the box implementations I've seen. The server listing is fast, stable and easy to use. It shows all the info I need (like IPs and pings etc), has a favourite listing, and a good filter. Joining is also very fast.

When I think back to BF2, this is top notch stuff.

Yeh I played on the sparta HC server and was starting to get the hang of it. I even picked up a couple of reward thingys, like x-ray vision for shooting someone through a wall.

I have to say that CoD multiplayer has to be one of the best out of the box implementations I've seen. The server listing is fast, stable and easy to use. It shows all the info I need (like IPs and pings etc), has a favourite listing, and a good filter. Joining is also very fast.

When I think back to BF2, this is top notch stuff.

The browser lacks one thing for me. If you join out of xfire or direct ip within the game... I cannot find anyway to add that server to my favorties :(