Magpul Masada

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's being left out for one very simple reason, I'm fast running out of time here. :( While working on this I've at the same time worked as a freelance modeler for BlackFoot Studios on their "Ground Branch" title and trying to juggle both has been alittle tricky. Now I've also been asked to take part in another game development, this one with a very short turnaround time, so I really need to free up my scedule somewhat.

I knew it would be a whopper to most ppl and it probably was even a dumb idea from my side to even say what model that easteregg was intended to be..lol.

@Hammer: I'll see what I can do mate, sacrificing half an hour here and there to record another "episode" is something I ought to be able to swing. Could possibly even change the subject from HK MP5 to the HK 417, that way the model would be made it would just take a lot longer than normal to complete.

@Sniggle: The Meusoc is already in with the Masada's mate and will be shipped with them aswell ;)

@WP: The ARD is on there to stay but won't be seen from the shooters perspective. It's simply textured onto the front lens and in being so it's invisible from the rear of the scope.

Kinda lost me there mate. :wacko:

Anyways, the new Aimpoint is in...a fair bit of fixing still remains though as the lens reflection is majorly off and I still haven't got the dot to acctually work yet. Plus I still have to paint a decent colour and spec map for it.

masada30-thmb.jpg

Btw: anyone ever notice those 2 poles in the background in the screenshot? It's on the "Recon in Force" map and are situated right behind the first shed you come accross. They were identical in hight before I popped a few rounds into the right one and it broke off into 2 pieces. :huh:

The only thing I can suggest is maybe altering it from "combatsight" to "steelsight". It seems that the animation assignment (or whatever) is dependent on that. Like for the Aimpoint for the MR-C, I use "steelsight" instead of "combatsight" (it works, and that's it) so that may be the issue? After that the model may need readjustment to "zero" it properly...

And no worries WP33, you should have sent me that tex long ago, I would have gladly included it :thumbsup:

Edited by EricJ

Well, I've tested that aswell but all it changes is the animation assigned to the scope. Ie, from the regular combatsight animation to the steelsight animation...and I've made this scope with the combatsight animation in mind.

Everything lines up as it should if I use the conbatsight animation, it's just that I don't get the reticule showing, if I on the other hand use steelsight and aim "center scope" the bullet strikes way low.

Going to run some more tests on it here today and see what I'm doing wrong.

I just can't figure this ###### out it seems, looks like I'm going to have to shoot a PM off to Brettzies and see if he can spot where I'm going wrong. :wall:

Here's what you see right now through the sights after bringing them up....kinda makes you have to guess alittle and try to just center the target in the view.

masada31-thmb.jpg

Might just think about moving the sight just that tad bit more to the rear, that way you will see less of it in "scoped" mode.

And with a little bit of help from Brettzies...success! :yes: Got one minor problem still with the aimpoint that I need to sort, but hopefully that ought to be a simple little thing.

masada32-thmb.jpg

And now that I know how it's done I worked over the EoTech aswell, giving it the same lit reticule as the original Eotech has.

masada33-thmb.jpg

The Aimpoint is dead on while the Eotech is still a tad off in aim, aim for a 100m headshot and you will score a center chest hit. Can't really bring the reticule down that much more though without scaling the whole sight down as the ret is low as it is already. <_<

And with a little bit of help from Brettzies...success! :yes: Got one minor problem still with the aimpoint that I need to sort, but hopefully that ought to be a simple little thing.

masada32-thmb.jpg

And now that I know how it's done I worked over the EoTech aswell, giving it the same lit reticule as the original Eotech has.

masada33-thmb.jpg

The Aimpoint is dead on while the Eotech is still a tad off in aim, aim for a 100m headshot and you will score a center chest hit. Can't really bring the reticule down that much more though without scaling the whole sight down as the ret is low as it is already. <_<

So I'll have to resort to the old GRAW technique of marking my screen with a dry erase marker so that aiming is feasible? Ok. No skin off my back.

Snow how did you managed to get the EOtech on other rifles than MRC ??

In the discussion about Brettzies mod i asked about it and someone explained me that it was a Grin limitation, and it couldn't be backed...

I'm particulary interested in that because i hope in the future to see it on many weapons as well an optic for the SAW...

@petsfed: Doubt you are going to have to resort to that mate...as both the poor little tangos in the screenshots were dead a fraction of a second after I hit the "Print Screen" button :o= The Aimpoint is as I said dead on, aim for the head and the recieving party will end up with a third nostril, and the Eotech is shooting a tad low, aim for the head and said recieving party ends up with a hole in the top part of his chest. :devil:

Going to have a try at zeroing the Eotech a little better though, I can still lower it a tiny bit without it looking bad and if that isn't enough I can still shrink the whole model by about 5%.

@Yuya6104: Can't say I have any plans of including the M4 into this package, the M4 model is way outdated by now and I more or less cringe whenever I see it. Besides Brettzies has already ported his quality M4 into GRAW2.

@caprera: Yeah, the model could be used on any rifle and work....BUT it will most likely not line up as it should. Either the sights zero will be off (high or low) or the model will sit oddly on the weapon it's used on.

Lets take your scoped SAW as an example, it's only got one aiming animation that raises the model up exactly to the point where it's ironsights line up with the sightline (most other weapons in GRAW has 2 aiming animations, steelsight and scoped). The only way a modder would be able to put any kinda optic on the SAW and get them to line up is if he/she manages to make an optics model that is exactly as high as the SAW's ironsights are. That means we have to make an optics model that's about 2cm high, something that is mostly impossible. The only other way of doing it would be through making our own animations but as we don't have a rigged character mesh or a starting point of any animation that's more or less impossible.

With weapons that have 2 aiming animations it is possible to do workarounds, ie we have to make our scope conform to the sightline of the various weapons already in GRAW2...in most cases that means using the higher scoped animation and raising our new scopemodel up to match that, generally by modeling an extra spacer to sit inbetween the reciever and the new scope.

Edit: Went through and did the changes to the EoTech....and now if you aim for headshot that's what you will be getting, just tested it on the training range.

I guess if there's a request, could you make one extra CompM4? Reason being I'd like to have a personalized camo on the Aimpoint (if it works for the MR-C) and not have to deal with having to make a compromise between all of them. Or never mind duh.. I can just use it on the MR-C, never mind!

And to add to SnowFella's excellent description, the main winner so far has been the AImpoint. Given various models (Brettzie's) have different height requirements, it's possible to use the same scope on a variety of weapons, just for example, for the Aimpoint to work on the MR-C, you have to change it from "combatsight" to "steelsight", and it works with no modification. Same thing with Brettzie's ACOG. All I did was change it to "steelsight" and it worked no problemo. So if SnowFella's Aimpoint is the same height, then it can work, if not then it'd be a shame :(

Edited by EricJ

It's alittle unfortunate that I can't finalise this pack by including that "easteregg", that was meant to be a HK417 btw, but that's life mate. I've had a ball working on it and learnt one or 2 things in the process...that's really all I can expect from a free modding project.

As for insight into modeling...maybe I should keep going on something I started the other day for a beginner modeler. Recorded a 20 minute videoclip of me modeling an MP5 reciever just to help give him an insight into how I go about creating my meshes...and there's nothing that really stops me from continuing from where I left off with more "episodes"

Compressed asfar as I could take it and still see what was going on that 20 minute clip at 800*600 resolution ended up being an around 15mb .mov file...without sound though.

That would be awesome! At the moment I'm reading Introducing 3ds MAX 9 for Beginners so I'm along way off doing anything useful (as well as saving for the software <_< ) but it will give me something to aspire to.

@Caprera: It's what we have been dealt mate and what we have to work with. If you work cleverly you can generally find way's of "cheating the system" but is some cases there just ain't an easy way of doing so.

@Eric: I can tell you right now mate that it's unlikely it will fit flawlessly on any other weapon than the Masada's. Sure the sightline is exactly the same as the original Aimpoint but this one is higher than the original one. Higher + original sightline = will extend down into the rail if mounted on the SCAR.

The main weaponbody also has it's scope_align dummy alot further forward than most of the original weapons, just something that's carried over from my GRAW M4 setup, and that generally means both the Eotech and CompM4 will end up fairly far back on any other weapon mode. I tested the Eotech on the SCAR at one stage and it ended up sunk into the rail by about an inch and sitting right where the SCAR's rear ironsight is.

I could reasonably easily make versions of both sights to fit most originals, but it just isn't a priority at this stage.

@Kakanater: Working towards a release ASAP here mate...as soon as the package is at a stage where I'm happy with both the look and the functionality of all pieces it will be set free.

And it's continously going though a "beta testing" aswell, GR.net supporters have so far had access to 3 "preview" package...the third one made available to them less than 24 hours ago.

@Nailbomb72: As I said to Hammer mate...I'll do what I can. :thumbsup: Hopefully life will give me 30 odd minutes of free time later on in the week and I can start recording the first chapter, this time around I might aswell add sound aswell if I can get my microphone working as it should. 30 minute "episodes" with commentary should hopefully not take more than 35Mb of space once they have been compressed, uncompressed we are talking in excess of a Gb a pop I'd say. :wacko:

You can quite easily set the same model up with various textures though mate...all it takes is a duplicate setup of folders, one new used modID and some xml changes ;)

And I might just have another sight setup coming up in the coming days :ph34r: