Crysis

pz3

cryengine2 is pretty advanced id imagine

Even in Cryteks cryengine , there is a faked "radiosity" lighting.

I could see this new engine using real Radiosity for lighting

stalker, we dunno yet, but im sure when they come out there will be dual GPU versions and hopefully bridgeable, I would love to have a quad SLI system.

Edited by Prozac360

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think the art is excellent. However, we're talking about the engine.. "

Ok, then its pretty simple. D's comment was entirely accurate. The images show shading techniques that are much closer to OffLine CG rendering that they where in the previous engine.

And a number of those shders do feature Raytracing at their core level. The big difference is they are one hit. For the cloud shading, im gandering two hits. Its pretty obvious they are using a form of HDR rendering in those images.

But I think your breaking away from the point in the technicalities. This is not Physically correct rendering (dont recall a CG being so either). His post is about how good in look.

It will take considerable horsepower before we reach that end. But in the mean time the point is (in CG or games) Does it look good? Does it look real enough?

Edited by Suli

Does it look real enough?

For me, yeah.

But it doesn't look even a little real. I don't see games approaching 'move quality' quickly at all.

I don't mean to imply it's a bad thing, though. Game art is fine as it is, just very different from prerendered.

(EDIT: To support my point: http://www.dareoner.com/image/wakeup/fusion-BIG.jpg

There's what I'd say is a 'move quality' landscape.)

A few years back I worked for a gaming company, now I work for a film and TV production company. The CG industry, quite honestly is like a recycling pool, same people going back and forth.

Sup said that he disagrees that game art is approaching movie-quality CG. I could've done without the sarcasm, but I posted to say he missed the point:

Who gives a toss about the techniques?! Let's judge it where it matters - visually... by eye. It's a fact that the game graphics are closing in on the prerendered CG. The word is 'getting closer' (thank you Zeko!)

Doom, Duke Nukem Graphics: Rubbish

HL2, Stalker, Faar Cry: Nice...

Reality... maybe we haven't gotten there yet. We're in transitional stage yet. Just wait. The programmers and artists will figure it out.

All the talk about the inferiority of gaming to films reminds me of a few years ago, when I heard the same nonsense across the industry. The other one being that games can't tell stories as well as films...

We can discuss that one in the next topic, but let me just say that when the new generation of gaming came around (at the time it was HL2, vids of Stalker, Far Cry, that sort of thing...) the same people we a little red-faced for making such... mmm... bold statements.

If history's taught us anything; it's that you probably should avoid talk of 'never' or 'impossible'. And if you think that those screens seem weak, maybe you're the fresh blood the gaming world needs. Put out a demo reel, ship it to a developer, get a job, raise the bar.

Put out a demo reel, ship it to a developer

When I'm 18. I'll see about getting a job either then or after schooling.

I don't see or agree with the idea that very soon games are going to be, or should be, like film.

Every big new advancement in rendering lately has been specific to one type or another.

You don't see any SSS in games, and very little Normal Mapping in film, for example. It seems logical that both fields will stay far apart for quite some time, producing very different art.

I guess 'quality' is the wrong word when regarding film work vs game work, anyway. This and every major game for the 10 years has included film 'quality' work, just not film polycounts, renders, or texture resoultions.

"You don't see any SSS in games"

You know you are right about that, I havent seen subsurface in any published titles. But It is being done in real time. Ihave seen it in both tech demo's, game prototypes, ect.

I think the point we are trying to make, is that it 'is' getting closer (albiet a moving target). It really doesnt matter what method is used or title that is given to an effect. The point is tricking the human eye. (speaking of "realism", no offence to many of the highly artistic games out there.)

Please correct me, as I do not recall anyone saying here (yet) that :

"that very soon games are going to be, or should be, like film."

And might I ask how you are so sure you havent seen normal mapping in film? Sometimes its good to seperate the technique from the resolution of the results.

P.S. Even though Crysis will be a bit sci fi, i look forward to playing it. Also once it is released having a chance to get in under the hood and do some modding. :santa:

I think most CG in movies dont use normal mapping often.

If I Recall right they use models that adjust based on distance and the polygons counts are able to be bumped up or down....

somthing like that

I think most CG in movies dont use normal mapping often.

If I Recall right they use models that adjust based on distance and the polygons counts are able to be bumped up or down....

somthing like that

Yeah, the point of "normal mapping" is to simulate the lighting and shading of a 3d model that has tons of detail on a low res version. So really, it is only needed for real time applications. Anything pre rendered just uses the amount of polys needed to achieve the required detail.

I think the pre rendered guys do use it some to help render times a little, but it's mainly a games thing.

That new Crytek stuff does look pretty awesome though!

-John

Electronic Arts, the world's leading interactive entertainment software company and award-winning developer Crytek, today announced they will bring Crysis, an exciting new first person shooter, to gamers worldwide. Developed by Crytek, the makers of the award-winning Far CryTM, Crysis will be an original first person shooter game for PC based on new intellectual property.

"Our focus has always been on innovating gameplay and technology, and bringing new experiences to gamers through our original intellectual properties," says Cevat Yerli, CEO & President of Crytek. "Crysis will be a showcase for that commitment and will offer gamers from all over the world the next step in FPS gaming."

Shooter fans will face a new kind of gameplay challenge requiring adaptive tactics and customisation of weapons and armour in dynamic, hostile environments as mankind struggles to survive in the face of a horrific alien invasion. Crysis will bring together the creative and technical talent of Crytek with the publishing expertise and unrivalled reach of Electronic Arts. Crysis is to be published by EA following the worldwide relationship announcement between the two companies and is being developed using the leading-edge technology of Crytek's proprietary engine CryENGINE2.

"We are delighted to reach the next level in our relationship with Crytek," says Tom Frisina, Vice-President and General Manager for EA Partners. "Nurturing creative talent and bringing original intellectual property to the world of interactive entertainment is a key focus for EA and EA Partners. Crysis will bring an entirely new FPS experience to gamers everywhere."

Full Article

Far Cry dudes are on the cutting edge of graphics, guys. They really are on top.

They have some amazing technology. Personally, I don't think they're the best artists, but they're up there.

And all that's subjectie anyway, it's said...

Electronic Arts, the world's leading interactive entertainment software company and award-winning developer Crytek, today announced they will bring Crysis, an exciting new first person shooter, to gamers worldwide.

The big question is why isn't Ubisoft publishing this game? Especially after commericial and critical success with Far Cry PC and Xbox ...

The big question is why isn't Ubisoft publishing this game? Especially after commericial and critical success with Far Cry PC and Xbox ...

Crytek had a single title contract with Ubisoft, which became Far Cry PC. Ubisoft licensed the engine and developed Far Cry Instincts for Xbox At Ubisoft Montreal.

For whatever reason, Crytek decided to go with someone else when it came to their next title.

Ubisoft's attempt to grab the third-party-publisher crown was thwarted today. Crytek, the up-and-coming developer of the acclaimed--and Ubisoft-published--PC shooter Far Cry, announced it has inked a deal with publishing giant Electronic Arts.

Good move or bad one time will tell.

Cheers for the info.

Ubisoft was a hastle to Crytek during and after the development of FC. They got a much, much better deal with EA.

I think they made a move that is certainly best for their interest. They have better funding, and better control over delivering the goods they want.

While EA is no standard setter for good business practices, I do hope CryTek and their Fans gets a better deal from EA then they got from Ubi...

I wish they'd gone the independent route of BIS and thumbed their noses at big corporate publishing...

:o

even thoe EA maybe not the best company, They just dont seem to make me as angry as UBI. Crazy huh...

You must not play many of their games. (Look at the amount of upgrades in Burnout 3, developed almost completely before EA picked them up, and Burnout 4, with about half the content) :rofl: