TDM Pub Server settings?

Ok knowing TDM is coming, and also that there will be a death cam, what will be the best server settings for pubbing?

Will death cam keep players from leaving, and if so would it be worth it to keep the spawns low or none at all?

Basically trying to get a feel as to what would attract the community we have now to a server.

Im down for anything that is 0 - 3 spawns. Anything more than that is asking for trouble with the spawn camping.

I would say 10 minutes rounds, mostly do with the size and complexity of the maps.

I think 7 v 7 would be nice, but as stated before with the maps size and complexity, most would still do well with 10 v 10. I think going higher than that would cause frustration with newer and not so good player.

Overall I would choose a no-respawn server over a 3 respawn server. Nothing makes for a bertter game IMHO.

Enable voip for team only.

did i miss something? are we getting VOIP?

no respawn, 5 min, but i agree 3 resp. with a 10 min time limit would be better at first. give us time to do a bit of exploring.

Ive never seen anything about this. VOIP that is.

5 minutes without respawns, especially for matches.

10 minutes with NO MORE THAN 3 respawns for pub play, but better to do that on lighter nights.

Less respawns on heavy nights is probably better, though it won't necessarily attract folks right away. Maybe 7-10 minute rounds with 1 RS on heavy nights? Y'know, avoid the idiocy of unlimited respawn servers...

I just dont see 5 minutes working for a match to be honest. With the size of the maps, the chances of all the players even seeing a glimpse of the enemy is slim.

Yeah, we need time to be tactical. 3 and 5 minute rush matches is not very Ghost Recon -ish.

with no respawns? you're kidding me. there isn't a map in the game that takes 5 minutes to run across, and it's not like you need to. you make it through half of it in about a minute or less, and then have a whole 4 minutes to play. with only one chance to live - that's plenty of time to catch not only a glimpse of an opponent, but a bullet in your face as well. most action in GR no respawn servers occured anywhere from 0:05 to 3:00 minutes into the game. after that the team on top just carelessly looks for survivors, while the dead wait.

the above doesn't concern ladder matches, of course.

I just dont see 5 minutes working for a match to be honest. With the size of the maps, the chances of all the players even seeing a glimpse of the enemy is slim.

Yeah, we need time to be tactical. 3 and 5 minute rush matches is not very Ghost Recon -ish.

with no respawns? you're kidding me. there isn't a map in the game that takes 5 minutes to run across, and it's not like you need to. you make it through half of it in about a minute or less, and then have a whole 4 minutes to play. with only one chance to live - that's plenty of time to catch not only a glimpse of an opponent, but a bullet in your face as well. most action in GR no respawn servers occured anywhere from 0:05 to 3:00 minutes into the game. after that the team on top just carelessly looks for survivors, while the dead wait.

the above doesn't concern ladder matches, of course.

Well thats what we were talking about was matches. Its why I responded. As for Pubbing the problem with short matches, is that it keeps the game in the same old run and gun we have been playing since release. Everyone rushing out to get the most kills so they look good when the stats pop up. 10 minutes might be a tad long, but 5 minutes is way to short. IMO

Hrm... how to answer without saying more than I should... :P

No respawns:

3 minutes is not viable, period. Trust me.

5 minutes is doable, but will result in a lot of rounds where no team was completely eliminated.

7 minutes is the best option in my opinion.

10 minutes will do well for matches, but will likely be too long for pubs.

Any other amount of respawns and you're looking at 10 minute rounds or people simply won't ever run out of lives before the round is over.

Just depends on the maps really. Well that and the format, whether its LMS to score a point or whoever has the most men left at the end of the round. I mean a lot of matches people are waiting till the last few minutes to advance anyways to force a draw at the end if the advance fails. I personally think 5 minutes would be fine but I like faster paced matches.

Edited by big_perm

It really depends on the size of the maps and what the server admins are looking for.

Our server will be found with 1 of 2 settngs for public.

#1 10 minute 3 spawns. Gives everyone a chance to have some fun

or

#2 15 minutes with 5 spawns.

For scrimmaging or matching 10 min no spawns

Th33f... these aren't 4 vs 4 run and gun playing matches. were talking 7vs7 to 15 vs 15. A run and gunner will be dead in less then 3min on most maps if he strives to far in front of his team. This also gives time for the opposing team to come back.

Th33f... these aren't 4 vs 4 run and gun playing matches. were talking 7vs7 to 15 vs 15. A run and gunner will be dead in less then 3min on most maps if he strives to far in front of his team. This also gives time for the opposing team to come back.

but you're not taking into account squads that rush all at once. we leave a guy covering a long street, while the rest are not wasting a second. don't you remember how it was in GR? controlling a bigger part of the map from the get go almost always meant victory.

but you're not taking into account squads that rush all at once. we leave a guy covering a long street, while the rest are not wasting a second. don't you remember how it was in GR? controlling a bigger part of the map from the get go almost always meant victory.

I agree with you on the last statement about [GR], but the maps were less complex. You see it in Domination all the time. Almost the whole map will be Blue, and one guy will get behind your lines and take out a coupel of zones by himself. Now imagine that in TDM where you have no clue where the enemy is, because of the absence of zones.

I find it easy on almost all maps to get behind the enemy, without so much as a gunshot going off. In [GR] it was easier to watch bigger sections of the map because they were simpler in construction.

I would actually invite any clan to put on a full rush against a team that camps in this game. You might be deep in their territory, but they are either waiting for you, or behind you, because there are too many paths to cover all at once.

I agree with you on the last statement about [GR], but the maps were less complex. You see it in Domination all the time. Almost the whole map will be Blue, and one guy will get behind your lines and take out a coupel of zones by himself. Now imagine that in TDM where you have no clue where the enemy is, because of the absence of zones.

I find it easy on almost all maps to get behind the enemy, without so much as a gunshot going off. In [GR] it was easier to watch bigger sections of the map because they were simpler in construction.

I would actually invite any clan to put on a full rush against a team that camps in this game. You might be deep in their territory, but they are either waiting for you, or behind you, because there are too many paths to cover all at once.

what map are you thinking of? i would think 6 people with a brain should have no problem completely isolating the territory behind them. the complexity is not so bad. you learn the maps - you know exactly where to look.

i'm a fan of sneaking behind the enemy team myself, but i wouldn't say anyone tries too hard to prevent it. more so, i noticed people avoiding certain "paths", probably based on how often they get killed taking them. a good GR player, i should even say a good team player, will always choose a path that is least popular among his teammates. unfortunately, we're still in the GRAW n00b era, and i can't help but laugh when i see 4 people in a row running up the same flight of stairs and getting killed at the exact same spot by the exact same guy. rushing doesn't automatically exlude tactics. it just means faster tactics. it creates pressure on the other team and works to your advantage, maybe not so obvious to some...

Making the time limit longer will not sway the advantage to anyone, it will just give both sides an oppurtunity to handle the map the way they see fit. Making the rounds shorter forces the issue of faster gameplay which might not be one teams style. If anything is doing the forcing of faster gameplay it should be the other team, not the clock.