Will AW recover?

I'd like to offer one angle on the OP's question.

Part of the problem is that many of the [GR] players, even within the clans are not playing YET for sake of either incompatable hardware or playability issues with the current bugs and glitches. IF/WHEN those things are fixed, it will be squarely upon OUR shoulders (meaning those of us who DO still play through the lag, bugs, and crashes) to SPREAD THE GOOD WORD on how improved the game is. Again, that's an IF, but most of us have confidence in the GRiN crew to pull it off.

Bottom line: now that the original glitter and shine of GRAW has worn off, the difference between our current 200 or less players every night and the future (HOPEFULLY) 1,000-5,000 will be OURS to make. GRAW's future rests in the tired hands of the GR fan community once GRiN's good work is done.

I don't plan on letting the newest member of the GR family down...

^^^ IMHO

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, may I cordially draw your attention back to the title of the topic?

We do seem to be rather wandering into the territory of what this game should/shouldn't be, of why people should/shouldn't be posting in this forum and sadly, petty insults.

The question is simply this: given the sequence of events to date - how will AW recover? What will bring people back to AW?

Well, games do degrade over time. Perhaps it is not unreasonable to expect some games to improve over time.

IMO, patches ruined BF2, and have caused many to stop playing. Though that is not to say the opposite is not possible with GRAW.

When John Q. Public buys a game, the first thing they do is download all the patches (at least I do). So in many cases these new players do not know what the game is like "out of the box." So they won't know what (IMO) made BF2 great, or what you think made GRAW so "GRAWful." <<<I know that's kinda gay, but I coudn't resist.

When John Q. Public buys a game, the first thing they do is download all the patches (at least I do). So in many cases these new players do not know what the game is like "out of the box." So they won't know what (IMO) made BF2 great, or what you think made GRAW so "GRAWful."

I would have to disagree with that - only because that is what not I do :D . But that said, even after 3 patch downloads, AW is still an awful online experience.

But the question is, regardless of you or I, after 3 disappointing patches what will bring people back to AW?

PS

I think GRAWful is a great new word!

I'd define it as follows: Any product marketed as being as good as it's predecessor but does not meet expectations. Example: 'Have you tried R6 Lockdown? Its GRAWful'

Edited by OliverReed

I would have to disagree with that - only because that is what not I do :D . But that said, even after 3 patch downloads, AW is still an awful online experience.

Okay, let's look at it like this:

I buy BF2 today, play it out of the box, and think it's great. Then, I patch it and think, OMG, this sucks (because I do think the game sucks in its current incarnation). Now, EA has had what, 18 months or better to f-up BF2?

You buy GRAW, play it out of the box, and think it sucks. Then patch it. What's to say you won't like it after patching it? If you don't like it out of the box, are you saying you won't patch it?

My point is GRAW has, FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE, the potential to improve dramatically with patches.

I already like the game ! :thumbsup:

well some people have points over kinda do but a question grin would probally like to know is what would u like to change to the game to make it the graw it should be, i mean without adding features. tbh whatever was in gr should be in graw, 1 thing that accally caught my eye today while reading back on a review of gr was the water effect on cloths. how they get damp.

i think in total the game is good its not gr but its not bad, ok online cheats need sorting out. but gameplay its not bad for graw tho if this all came out on the realse it would of been a start towards patching.

i think to how you guess mean buy fixing the only thing im after seeing after this patch is a expansion pack of woepons and misions and some more maps.

What's wrong with Lockdown? I bought it and have enjoyed it. What is it that I'm not seeing?

Apparently people think MP > SP.

I do agree that Lockdown sucked though. I only played the MP demo that was released on OXM.

I think you guys are missing Ollie's point. He just used Lockdown as an example for his new word "GRAWful." He was not trying to send this thread off topic.

I've been gone all month (diving down in the KEYS of Florida) and pop in when I check my E-mails. I think more people were on this site before the game was released. I dought it will ever get going. I like the game, but. Take your time with the patch, I won't be back till AUG 2.

The truth is, when GRAW came out, we had a gazillion people in here. we were all testing out GRAW and playing it. But since the may release, I have seen (now) more negatives then positives.

Now, if you like GRAW, awesome, the game hit it's target. the game was intended to be a good game. But some things got in the way and GRAW didn't "become" what it should've. It was/is supposed to be a continuation from GR, hence the GR in GRAW. Capt mitchell was in GR wasn't he? ok, since the may release, there has been a "civil war" if you will, with dedicated players expecting the GR saga to continue, only to be disappointed with GRAW. Graphics issues, subpar MP play and the list goes on. I think that alot of the true fans are VERY disappointed in that they waited years, having had GR2's carpet pulled out from underneath them. I admit I'm one of those people. I played GR and was anticipating a great sequel with GR2. you can read the GR2 forum just to see the disappointment.

Then we get word that there will be a GR3 for PC fans. then we find out for console fans as well. things looked up! the first mistake was UBI short changing GRIN by giving them 14 months to produce GRAW. GRIN was sooo hamstrung, they could'nt even PR the game due to non disclosure. common sense says to have the devs PR the hell out of the game to gain a games popularity. GRIN yes, was in the forums talking this or that, but they couldn't even comment on the single most survival factor of ANY game...moddability. Moddability made GR a breakthrough title, think of all those mods that were made. GR is strong again because GRAW is lacking in alot of peoples eyes. mine as well.

This has been a really rough rollercoaster ride for the true fans. alot of people are Gone. where's harntrox? El Oso? just to name a couple. But this game and community has seriously died off. I just don't see certain folks who made this community around anymore.

Added: the GR community will NEVER be the same again. GRAW drew the line in the sand and alot of folks are gone for good. UBI is to blame for this mess.. :o=

Edited by Papa6

Unfortunate, but pretty true. So long as hope is NOT yet lost. And I doubt it is.

There IS disappointment and frustration among fans old and new. But there is also still development in progress. We're almost certain we'll have more o fthe MP game modes we've been screaming for by the end of the month (one week to go) and the dedicated server capacity that is an absolute MUST by Summer's end (give or take, 38 more days). One can guess the expanded mission editing and map editing capacities will facilitate [GR]-style campaign mods in the community.

MODDERS made the [GR] community and held it together for a LONG time. Broken record, I know, but the likes of harntrox and Alpha Mod can and hopefully WILL be coaxed back into the fold once the ability to do what they do so well is back. With the excitement that follows great mod work like theirs (and countless others I couldn't even begin to list in a single post), more players can and hopefully WILL find themselves compelled to give GRAW another look.

THIS is what I sincerely hope for, and NOT the worst-case scenario of GRAW falling flat on its backside. I like this game. I like the potential of MP GRAW. I REALLY dig the SP campaign, and would love to see the great modgods work their magic with it in COOP. THIS GAME HAS MAD POTENTIAL, and GRiN have been real troopers putting up with out constant insults to their hard work and driving on steadily with the improvements.

For the record, :g_withgrin:

LOL GRiN_RAbbi? PLEASE?!?!?! LOL

Edited by RAbbi_74

Somebody make a mod with [GR] style models, missions and gameplay, and I'll be back guns blazing. :g_guns: Many others will be too! This setting is too futuristic for me, I need some good ole bush sneaking. The new ghost gear looks too scifi to me, sorta comical even.

Don't you mean GRAWesome ?

LOLOL That's great! When I made the original comment about "GRAWful," I was not speaking for myself, because I like the game. Now we have a term for us fans as well!

Definition of GRAWsome: Anything that when praised sends OliverReed into an apoplectic fit. LOLOL just bustin' your balls, Ollie!!!