Frontlines: Fuel of War

ZJJ

I was reading about this FPS game in Computer Gaming World. Due out next summer.

Kaos Lead Designer Frank DeLise admits he is bored with serial connect-the-dots single-player gameplay. "It's time to leave it up to the individual," he says, referring to the fledgling company's forthcoming "dynamic" FPS, Frontlines, which instead renders zone progression in terms of capricious objectives. "Think of a front as a 'combat sandbox' where each contains a set of contextual objectives. Frontlines' missions chute you in but let you parse out goals and execution order on your own dime.

Gamespy Preview

E3 Interview with Frank DeLise

IGN's Preview

• 9 months later...

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/...8_screen002.jpg

I was looking through some of the up and coming games and I noticed this one scheduled for 2007. If you look at the screen shot above it's amazing how similar the models are to GRAW. The guys even have a little cross com thing in front of the eye, helmets look exactly the same, pads look identical. Hopefully this doesn't turn into an era of cookie cutter first person shooters where everyone imitates existing games. Where is the originality?

You'll also be able to make use of other interesting toys, such as scout drones (either flying or wheeled varieties)

That sounds familiar.

Here is a link to the game. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/frontlin...Fuel%20of%20War

It has some very interesting features: non linearity, optional objectives, operable vehicles, classes and experience.

...the game will attempt to distinguish itself by presenting a compelling, nonlinear single-player experience. The idea is that although you'll proceed through the game by taking on various missions, you'll always have a choice about which mission to do next; and by completing your missions, you'll be able to claim more territory for your faction, advancing the frontlines (hence the game's name) further into enemy territory.

Apparently, at the start of each mission, you'll play as a soldier who is part of a fireteam, and you'll be able to choose not only a basic weapon loadout, but also a specific "role" (such as recon or assault), which will act a bit like a role-playing game character class. You'll be able to advance ranks in your role over the course of single-player missions (or during individual multiplayer sessions), which will unlock new abilities for your role; for instance, we watched a demonstration in which a recon player advanced one rank, which unlocked air strikes as a new ability (the player could then use binoculars to spot a target, and then call down a bombing run).

We watched a few different missions in action and bore witness to what DeLise describes as the game's "go anywhere, do anything mentality." Like in Battlefield 1942, Frontlines will let you be able to approach battles not only on foot but also by jumping into various vehicles, and since the game takes place in a near-future environment, you'll be using hypothetical weapons and vehicles, such as an evolved version of the Comanche attack chopper and fancy armament such as "air-detonation" grenades that explode in midair and are great for flushing out opponents with a height advantage. You'll also be able to make use of other interesting toys, such as scout drones (either flying or wheeled varieties) that you can use to sneak past enemy defense and either take active control of or simply park in a dark corner and occasionally switch to. If you're not happy with your drone, or the enemies you're spying on, you can also have the drone go on a suicide run, charging at an enemy and detonating itself with a powerful explosion that should take down most infantry soldiers.

Ok, just watched a few gameplay videos and to me it seems to be nothing but a BF 2-clone. Fast paced run´n´gun, no punishment for being hit, you can take several hits. And I suppose you guys don't like tracers on every round (heard some complaints about that in GRAW).

I actually think BF 2 is better than this :o=

Edited by Hockeystick

Yup, I saw a gameplay-video compilation on gametrailers.com and it really is nothing special. There are a few technical gimmicks that BF2 is missing but besides it doesn't look special. Too bad, I really was hoping a good MP-shooter would come.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the community should be aware that the "team" that created the awesome mod for BF, called "Desert Combat" is creating a new FPS called Frontlines:Fuel of War.

I have been watching this game and am quite impressed. It looks as though the developers ARE trying to compete with , not only the BF series, but Call of Duty, Armed Assault and GRAW too! IF everything they want to do holds, this could be a true competitor to the BF series, especially the BF2142.

It is set in the near future, and NOT SCI-FI at all.

Looks good.........................................Kingkat

• 1 month later...

HMmmmmmmmm. I wonder what engine that this is using. There are the gold tones of GRAW, but it does have areas where there is "normal" color tones even in the open.

Looks interesting though.

Ya, ya, ya, I'm a bit behind. Blame it on work.

It got pushed back until "after" the Holidays, into January 0f next year.

Since its a "multi-platform" (consoles, PC) they decided to by-pass the crowded holiday season. :rolleyes:

They said it was a "marketing" decision.

It looks good. Open style play. Non-Linear, open environment maps, strong SP and MP games. Lots of 'near-future' type weapons, drones, remote bombs, tanks, etc.

Since its from the dev team that made the BF series Desert Combat mod, they know who they are after.

Might be a kinda fun.................. :D

See if I can find out what engine they might be using...................... :rolleyes:

Found it. At www.frontlineswar.com in their Overview Section, it mentions the Unreal 3 Engine for all platforms.