Wanna Build your Own PC?

If you wanna build your own PC, I have some links for ya to walk you through each step.

A Builder's Guide to a Budget Game Machine

A Builder's Guide to the Ultimate Game Machine

Build Your Own PC

Now these are all pretty much the same, just the parts are a bit different depending on what price you are looking to pay. Remember that "older" (6months) parts are cheaper than "new" (just released) parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At newstands now is a MaximumPC special edition called:

MaximumPC Shows you how to Build the Perfect PC. It has detailed pics (like in my guide) on what to do and where things go. They even have a how to pick the parts you want guides and explain how they work. On the CD they have even included some great apps, utilities and all sorts of drivers. Even if you aren't intersted in building a PC right now, it is a great reference magazine to have when you are ready to build it. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple of websites you should add... I got most of my parts from here

www.computergeeks.com

www.tcwo.com

www.motherboards.org

i found computergeeks was the cheapest, however they do not have a floppy drive. tcwo has them for about $10 or less

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

pricewatch is ok, sometimes the stuff you find on there isn't the cheapest. Sometimes the sites with cheap stuff kill you on the shipping charges.

If you want to bargain hunt use pricewatch, shopping, bizrate, and pricegrabber and froogle to search for what you're looking for.

I normally get my parts from this list of suppliers since they don't try to rape you on shipping charges.

www.zipzoomfly.com

www.buyxg.com

www.excaliberpc.com

www.frozencpu.com

sometimes newegg

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

wow!! some very good links there they should help people with there problems, i kinda learned it through another site i cant recall the name of it now but it was a great help and i'm sure those links will be too.

Heres a site I used to do my first pc build, and it runs like a dream.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

Excelent step by step instructions. So detailed it even has an entire section on taking the side panel off.  :)

Good article. ;) I read that a couple of times before I started my first build and it offered a lot of exellent info.

If you wanna build your own PC, I have some links for ya to walk you through each step.

A Builder's Guide to a Budget Game Machine

A Builder's Guide to the Ultimate Game Machine

Build Your Own PC

Now these are all pretty much the same, just the parts are a bit different depending on what price you are looking to pay. Remember that "older" (6months) parts are cheaper than "new" (just released) parts.

Hi, I just found this page. Very useful :thumbsup:

I'm looking in the budget section I like the look of the case, mine looks like a brick now and i'm using it with the side panel off cos it gets so hot in there :( Si i'm gonna need a new one with good cooling.

Is my PC good enough as it is then? I thought it was rubbish... I've been reading what some other people have got to play GRAW with and basically I've got the mazda/skoda and they have the Porsche. Yeah its just a guide, but it's best that people in the know help people who arent (i.e. me) so that I/we dont waste money.

Here's mine

(parts that might need changing)

Athlon 2800+

A7V8X motherboard with 1GB 3200 DDR- sure thats all i can put on there :-/

20GB hard drive

(parts i'd like to keep)

geforce 6800GT 256 (AGP)

audigy 2 nx

antec power supply 500w

80GB hard drive

(Parts that have gotta go)

The case - sorry lookin, and the side is off

Cooling fans - I have 2 but only one can be connected cos of the way the MB is. They make a lot of noise and dont seem to be doin much cooling (hence the side panel being off)

I thought AGP was too old and everyone needed PCIe now, but it seems that some people on a budget like me are sticking with it.

Hard drive prices have dropped since I bought the 80GB one. My 20GB one is from when I first got the PC built ( i had a different motherboard then and had a celeron). I'm tempted to replace the 20GB with a 250GB, but I can leave that and spend on other parts cos i have a fair amout of space.

Any help / advice replies will be VERY much appreciated as usual.

I'm going to a PC fair tomorrow and don't want to come back without somthing :P

thaks

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to say Thank You! to Whiteknight for his wonderful tutorials and everyone else for posting links in this thread, as it really helped me when I built my computer, it was a successful build thanks mainly to what I found out in this thread.

Once again, Thank You! :grin1:

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of good tips about PC building is info you accumulate from the experience of building or directly from other people. Let's see if I can muster up some PC building tips that I feel would be most useful for beginners...

-use anti-static measures when handling your PC components (wrist strap or anti-static gloves, run humidifier when building). At least try to keep contact with the bare metal of the case with your hands at all times.

- Most beginners use WAY too much thermal compound on their cpu. In this case, less is more. The current version of Arctic Silver (5) likes to be applied in a very, very small bead - don't spread it on the core like we used to.

- if installing a cpu heatsink that requires a screwdriver, don't let it slip and impale your mainboard. :blink: On good heatsinks, there's usually one screwdriver size that will work perfectly - use that size only. This is for Socket A builders.

- smaller cases have more heat issues than bigger ones. Bigger fans cool better and are quieter. Try to get a case that uses 120mm fans only. They move more air and are quieter than 80mms.

- don't use the fan headers on your mainboard unless you really have to. That's so '90s. :P If the fan draws too much current it can blow your board. Drawing power directly from the power supply is the way to go and can result in less power-related problems.

- don't install your "peripherals" until after the OS is loaded. That means PCI NIC, sound card, anything USB, or any other PCI cards. Build the basic configuration, test it a bit with a boot-floppy (if you have a floppy drive), run Memtest86 if you like and then install the OS followed by peripherals - one at a time.

- don't force things (cards, RAM sticks) don't rush, and be aware of situations where one component needs to be installed before another - RAM before video card nowadays because of space conflicts.

With some good planning and part selection you can continually upgrade your system one component at a time for years. It's great on your budget, keeps your rig up to date affordably and allows you to pick whatever component your heart desires. You'll be very glad you decided to "build your own". Also, it's a wonderful skill to have when things go wrong because you will, as a side benefit, pick up good trouble-shooting skills.

On a side note on CPUs, my CPU came with thermal compound already on it, that way it just hooked right up with the heat sink rightout of the box without having to use a different thermal paste. I thought this was nice, since I had forgot to pick up any thermal paste when I bought all the stuff.

On a side note on CPUs, my CPU came with thermal compound already on it, that way it just hooked right up with the heat sink rightout of the box without having to use a different thermal paste. I thought this was nice, since I had forgot to pick up any thermal paste when I bought all the stuff.

Just to add something about factory applied heatpads/ compound. DONT TOUCH IT!