GDC III: Tribute to Soldier

the.ronin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange coincidence... I actually made this a while back. I went back and edited the text a little to better suit this, but I figure that I might as well put it up here. Nothing technical, but it makes the point.

tribute7ey.jpg

but on a serious note...here is another for your project

Nay ... our project.

Speaking of which, let me describe it a bit further and you guys can provide your own input. Basically a fade-in / fade-out slideshow of all the tributes posted on this thread. It will be posted on the news page as a Flash link that pops-up a Flash window with the tribute.

Given the timing, it will likely be produced prior to the announcement of winners. Therefore, to avoid any second-guessing, tributes will appear in the order they were posted on the thread. Credit will be given at the end of the slideshow, again, in order of appearance.

I'm thinking of using Leave No Man Behind from the Black Hawk Down soundtrack as the background music. Any other suggestions?

I was also toying around with the idea of starting the slideshow with some sort of quote to the effect of "In Tribute To Those Who Fight Without Regard to Politics" ... that quote sucks so if you can find a good one, that would be cool. If we go with this theme, I was planning on overlaying various sound bites from the news of war and politics throughout the slideshow with the music in the background.

Your comments and feedback would be appreciated.

[Edit] The Edmunde Burke quote used in SteelHack's tribute above, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" might also be good ...

I'd suggest we use the Edmunde Burke quote. It’s a respected, well understood, and recognized quote. Plus, Mr. Burke’s quote would fit very easily with the emotional background music setting from Black Hawk Down.

Of course if there are any copy writers in the group, then that opens an entire new door of possibilities. :rolleyes:

silent_op

@the.Ronin

How about the song "Brothers" from Pearl Harbour. If you needed it to be longer you could then use "Tennesse" ahead of it. The two, with Tennesse being first go perfectly together as far as I'm concerned. If you need them let me know.

The Edmund Burke quote is good I agree. Something a little more original might be better though. What about,

"When the world called they answered. Now they call upon us to remember."

"Their duty was to protect the innocent and the oppressed. Ours is to remember."

"They responded when the wolf was at our door."

May seem kind of corny. Maybe quite a bit to some. But hopefully it they might serve to get some more creative juices flowing.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

warhawk, thanks for the suggested soundtrack ... I will look into those songs.

As reference, the Black Hawk Down piece is about 6 minutes long ... with about 21 tributes so far, that's 17 seconds per tribute ... probably too long for the average attention span. The latter part of the song can be cut out for just over 2 minutes of runtime thereby allocating just below 6 seconds per tribute which is probably more appropriate.

Therefore, assuming we end with about 20 tributes, 2 minutes of music is probably ideal.

warhawk, thanks for the suggested soundtrack ... I will look into those songs.

As reference, the Black Hawk Down piece is about 6 minutes long ... with about 21 tributes so far, that's 17 seconds per tribute ... probably too long for the average attention span.  The latter part of the song can be cut out for just over 2 minutes of runtime thereby allocating just below 6 seconds per tribute which is probably more appropriate. 

Therefore, assuming we end with about 20 tributes, 2 minutes of music is probably ideal.

Tennesee is 3:41 and Brothers is a bit longer at 4:06 In case you didn't know, IE your actually from another planet or have been living in a cave with bin hiding, Hans Zimmer did both of those.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

but on a serious note...here is another for your project

Nay ... our project.

Speaking of which, let me describe it a bit further and you guys can provide your own input. Basically a fade-in / fade-out slideshow of all the tributes posted on this thread. It will be posted on the news page as a Flash link that pops-up a Flash window with the tribute.

Given the timing, it will likely be produced prior to the announcement of winners. Therefore, to avoid any second-guessing, tributes will appear in the order they were posted on the thread. Credit will be given at the end of the slideshow, again, in order of appearance.

I'm thinking of using Leave No Man Behind from the Black Hawk Down soundtrack as the background music. Any other suggestions?

I was also toying around with the idea of starting the slideshow with some sort of quote to the effect of "In Tribute To Those Who Fight Without Regard to Politics" ... that quote sucks so if you can find a good one, that would be cool. If we go with this theme, I was planning on overlaying various sound bites from the news of war and politics throughout the slideshow with the music in the background.

Your comments and feedback would be appreciated.

[Edit] The Edmunde Burke quote used in SteelHack's tribute above, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" might also be good ...

I wanted to put the exact quote in..but just didnt look right..so I had to edit a little....I agree that its a great quote..and would fit well.

Without knowing what "political" sound bites you were planning on adding....I would say Im not sure about that part...as you said...its a tribute to soldiers...without any political agenda......Not saying you have not picked perfect quotes to add...the may very well be poignant...and unbiased...Just putting out a thought to think about when choosing them.

HACK

Hack, they are not corny quotes from politicians that are overly deep. They are mostly random sound bites from news anchors reporting on hotspots ... if I have time tonight, I will try to lay the soundtrack and put it up for preview ... the more I think about, if we use the Burke quote, the sound bites might very well go well with the overall theme.

Hack, they are not corny quotes from politicians that are overly deep.  They are mostly random sound bites from news anchors reporting on hotspots ... if I have time tonight, I will try to lay the soundtrack and put it up for preview ... the more I think about, if we use the Burke quote, the sound bites might very well go well with the overall theme.

I figured you were on top of it Ronin...and I trust your judgement....I figured it was all good...I just noticed the word "political" in your post...and wanted to throw out the "non political" thought.

Do what you do Ronin

HACK

[Last edit - I swear] Well the good news is that I evidently haven't lost my Flash bling since I'm basically done with the tribute in about an hours time - all it needs is a preloader and optimization tweaks for optimum streaming ...

the bad news is that the original idea for the soundtrack (4.0 megs), in my opinion, is really mismatched with the tribute images being that many of them are not of modern military ... I'm thinking I will just leave the sound bites out of the music and let the tributes speak for themselves.

Well, here is a rough cut of the tribute (3.8 megs) ... I screwed up the timing :) so it ends early. The sound bites have been removed from the soundtrack. It does not include all the credits, bells, and whistles.

Let me know what you think :)

gdciii.jpg

well, since my entry appears to have been a massive downer in this whole shindig, i thought i should offer some form of explaination:

My thinking is that so far, all the entries have all had a common theme of heroes and legends etc etc. All these entries are retrospective of achivements. My entry looks at it from a different angle: that when the soldiers are actually out there fighting the war, the sentiment is different. All they are concerned about is keeping themselves and their mates alive. Thats what the song lyrics are supposed to reflect; that the reasoning behind these wars and conflicts dont matter.

When it comes down it, all that matters are the people.

i know that i have a 0% of winning, but as said before, its not about winning. I just thought i would share my feelings on the subject.

Usual disclaimer applies:i know nothing, and all of this could be completely wrong, take none of it seriously if you dont like it.

fin.