Second pass at a map

liteluvr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using export first models on your trees/foliage?

Make sure you delete polygons that will never be in view (i.e., if you make a crate get rid of the bottom face).

That should cut down on the size of the file and help it run smoother.

Also what you might want to try doing is lighting it a little bit at a time.

Whenever I built a map I always had to export it at least 50 times to see how things were looking during production. Each time I exported the map I loaded it into the lighting tool and added some lights. On a map like this I would have added about 10-15 lights each export and tweaked them until I got the mood I liked.

It takes a bit longer to go through the export process this way but I found it was actually nicer to see what it would look like in game as a final composite rather than tackling the project all at once.

The lighting tool is rather unstable so save your solution often. I also hope you have a lot of RAM. The more you have the better the lighting tool runs. I wouldn't even recommend lighting a map with less than 1 GB.

Don't use a <~dm> material on a completely flat surface. It will crash the tool all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

liteluvr,

This is looking like a very cool map. How has the progress come along since early April? Will your map be co-op multiplayer for multiple platoons?

I'm really looking forward to seeing this map in game as well. Great job so far. As soon as you have new screen shots, please post them. :drool:

silent_op

Hey all.... no progress on the map, as I got tied up scripting a couple of missions for a clan tournament... but that's over now... so I need to get back on it...

Seriously, if anyone wants to join in in completing this beast, I'll gladly work with you to knock this bad boy out.

I don't have as much time as I'd like to work on it... and would welcome the help.

The overall file size needs to be pared down.. I'm going to redo some geometry to take care of some of that... (8 sided cyls to 6 sided and such, where it doesn't affect gameplay)

And the lighting.... I just haven't had time to get into it, and this is a big one to cut my teeth on....

Sooooo anyone wanting to join forces, I'd more than welcome the help!

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hey all..... finally got some time to get back on this map... other than what is found during beta testing, and adding lighting (if I EVER get if figured out...), it's finished.

Plays fast, it's about 60% of the original size, and it's a sweet CQB map... with all the geometries inside the compound, it's just wicked.

ScreenShot0.jpg

ScreenShot1.jpg

ScreenShot2.jpg

ScreenShot3.jpg

ScreenShot4.jpg

ScreenShot5.jpg

ScreenShot6.jpg

ScreenShot7.jpg

ScreenShot8.jpg

ScreenShot9.jpg

ScreenShot10.jpg

ScreenShot11.jpg

ScreenShot12.jpg

ScreenShot13.jpg

ScreenShot14.jpg

ScreenShot15.jpg

Hopefully this will be out soon... I'm going to script a mission for a clan tournament, and once that's done, it'll be available to the public.

Thanks for the patience and support!...

:rofl:

Here's a perspective shot from one corner....

novgorod_perspective.jpg

After thinking about it, I added a lot of elements to facilitate multi player gaming... rocks to hide behind, terrain elevation changes to foil long range sniping, more ground cover, etc.

With a spawn in each corner, and a central base for 'king of the mountain', this could get fun... there's 3 points of ingress into the base, only 2 of which are obvious. The third is pretty well hidden, and once in side, it's pretty protected as well... ;)

Now if I can just get the darn thing lit..... :wall:

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another update.... looks like the finish line is just around the corner... at least for the modeling.

Oso has ever-so-graciously volunteered to look into maybe lighting the thing... once it's final.... :notworthy:

Here's some ingame and 3DS shots of the last round of revisions...

Barracks with the tarps over the door. You can walk right through em... and shoot right through em too... thought about animating em, but figured I'm killing the fps enough as it is. Actually, another clan mate and I did a walk through the other nite (sans AI), and performance was good for me, and he said he got better FPS than on some of the stock GR maps.... so I'm optimistic...

barracks1.jpg

An unused barracks... bunks askew, and some of the others are missing mattresses. In one barrack, I took the mattresses off and threw them on the floor.

barracks2.jpg

The breached West wall.. (notice the rebar pieces sticking out.... :D )

breach.jpg

Same breach from out in the field...

breach2.jpg

Down the main E/W street (dubbed Broadway). Power lines visible.

broadway.jpg

Half building in one corner, for those close in MP games. Used the same building in all 4 corners, so no one can complain...

cornerbldg.jpg

A view from the catwalk in one of the garages. As it turned out, the other garage has tin plates over the window, so the catwalk is only good for inside... yet another difference...

garagecatwalk.jpg

Looking down from same catwalk... Need to remember to randomize the textures on those steps...

garagecatwalk2.jpg

View South along Mainstreet, just inside the gate...

mainstreet.jpg

Officer's quarters in one of the barracks....

officerbarrack.jpg

More power lines...

powerlines.jpg

And the extra doors in the North Side...

dally.jpg

Also, I did a new texture that has signs for each building in Cyrillic letters, ie Motor Pool No 1, Administration Building No 2, etc. with the Soviet Coat of arms, and some substantial weathering and bullet holes... Yeah, I know... the spelling is english with Cyrillic lettering.... but I don't speak Russian, and I'm too lazy to figure out the ISO translation set. :blink:

That way, some of the waypoints, etc. in missions can be done away with and players forced to find the right building via signage... should make it more interesting.... (this is a 3DS rendering, not a game screen)...

sign.jpg

Hopefully, this thing will wrap up soon, and Oso willing, we'll have a lit version....

:whistle:

Heeee !

This looking great, cant wait to script a Mission for it ! :) BTW: is a Jungle version in the Line ? Only another Ground Texture (Grass from IT) and some more Palms, a dark, rainy Day and it would be perfect. But if you dont have the Time, i can change it myself in IGOR. :D

Edited by Sixpence

BTK, thanks for the heads up. I'd noticed that in testing and fixed it already.

Now... here's a problem I have periodically when compiling maps in Igor, and it's driving me nuts.... :wall::wall::wall:

Sometimes this happens, and sometimes it doesn't, and when I do get it fixed, I can't figure out how I did it... :stupid: This map is taking about 45 minutes to import into Igor, so trial and error is getting realllllly old...

Any other map makers come up against this?

fubar.jpg

:blink:

I have run into that problem, or what seems to be the same problem. It was a corrupt plugin in 3DSMax that was the problem. It was one of the six. Either a "mapeditor" or "ikemapexport" plugin that did it. I just replaced all of them. It exibited the same sort of problems including a long boot in IGOR. Good Luck!

Any other map makers come up against this?

I had this issue about 2 years ago.

I believe it happened after setting up a scene in the metrical unit-system (centimeters), saving it, reopening the file and continuing in the imperial unit-system (inches), to be converted back to the metrical system later again.

When exported, the object had an extreme scaling in one or two axis'.

Do you change unitsystem often?

Or maybe set up your scene in inches/feet, to convert it to centimeters later?

I wish it were that simple. I set it up according to Schell's tut, and leave it alone. For reference, I import one of the DS 3DS figures and create objects around that.

I extracted various elements of the overall model to separate files, and tried to reconstruct it. All went well until I got to the buildings. Today I'm going to remove the buildings, and try importing them in a couple at a time until it breaks.

In theory, I should then know what bldg is causing my problem, and work on that one, instead of chasing my tail.

In theory...

At least it sounds good on paper...