Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

Another thing I should mention is that in-game graphics options will need to be set up in a new (and counterintuitive) way for this to work properly.

I also need to e.g. embed mipmaps in all compressed RSB in a certain way to avoid the load time issue, and then mipmapping needs to be disabled in-game, while global texture compression needs to be enabled.

Of course all this will be in the documentation, just wanted to give a heads-up about the confusing procedure I had to figure out for this. Looking at it now, it makes sense, but it took me a while to see my errors in thinking.

Anyhow, all new opportunities await... 🙂

• Tier 1 Post 1

Guys, for the most part we’re talking about AI upscaling of existing textures here, which will not miraculously bring you a new game, but a lot of improvements here and there and, most importantly, an overall much less dated look throughout.

Full retexturing is still ongoing, and will go on after the update, but I am only one man, and there are still tens of thousands of textures to work on. Any of you may of course feel free to retexture a map, or even just a single bush or tree. It’s not difficult and can be a lot of fun, but it involves time and effort.

New VRAM budgeting will lead to various changes. So much more to consider now. Characters and equipment gobble up a huge amount of video memory, due to their sheer number in some missions and game types. Will have to do something about that. DXT compression can help, but in some cases the image quality just suffers too much, so it’s not a cure-all solution.

• Like 1

Still learning what this old game can do. Loads of under-the-hood changes incoming. Lots of new dev notes, too.

We have pz3 returning to GR modding (and 3dsm modeling - this WILL get interesting indeed), and it looks like Zee is rejoining our GR modder ranks, too.

Oh yes, things are getting a lot more interesting.

Meanwhile, HU has passed the 80 GB mark, but I plan for at least one „light“ version (~ 20 GB) for those with limited bandwidth or low on disk space.

Hi Apexmods, I can see that you are focusing on texture qualities. But I just wanted to ask if there will be any modified tweak or upgrade on weapon view or  third person's view. I use richard's modification now and it's great, but you know I think there's a bit difference between my sight and the character's sight. Sort of like..where I can see and shoot,  the character cannot shoot or see actually because they are blocked by wall. I wish I could make one of those tweaks but I don't know where to start. Bit of  C# and python is all I can do as a coder.

This is not really my expertise, as I don’t use altered game cams, but here’s what I can tell you.

Richard‘s FOV mods where created with Cheat Engine, which allows injecting altered code into the memory space of a running executable (that‘s why such a mod often gets flagged as virus / trojan horse).

Cheat Engine doesn’t really require any programming knowledge, but changing e.g. game camera perspective involves a lengthy process of finding the memory registers where the POV is stored and then changing its contents until you find the perspective you want.

A good place to start would be to run Cheat Engine during (single player) gameplay and look what happens when using the “official” way to switch cameras in GR’s “observer mode”, which is done with respective key bindings (by default F2 to toggle observer mode, then F1 to switch cameras).

It’s not a trivial undertaking, and IIRC Richard spent a lot of time adding more than just a new default FOV, but also new perspectives for leaning / peeking etc.

17 minutes ago, ApexMods said:

This is not really my expertise, as I don’t use altered game cams, but here’s what I can tell you.

Richard‘s FOV mods where created with Cheat Engine, which allows injecting altered code into the memory space of a running executable (that‘s why such a mod often gets flagged as virus / trojan horse).

Cheat Engine doesn’t really require any programming knowledge, but changing e.g. game camera perspective involves a lengthy process of finding the memory registers where the POV is stored and then changing its contents until you find the perspective you want.

A good place to start would be to run Cheat Engine during (single player) gameplay and look what happens when using the “official” way to switch cameras in GR’s “observer mode”, which is done with respective key bindings (by default F2 to toggle observer mode, then F1 to switch cameras).

It’s not a trivial undertaking, and IIRC Richard spent a lot of time adding more than just a new default FOV, but also new perspectives for leaning / peeking etc.

Thank you  for the reply. I think I might give it a try. Might take a while... So excited.

• Like 1