Heated debate warning

Rocky

48 ÷ 2 (9+3)

What's the answer? I found this at the start of a really heated debate on another forum, I have not googled for an answer but I suspect doing so would spoil the fun of this thread. So post up your answer, no cheating. Honor system.

Assuming he has the right calculation for 24(12), I agree with Dannik. And we know that I am always right. :rofl:

The order of operations is as follows:

(1) Evaluate the parentheses. (9+3)

(2) Evaluate the exponents. (none in this example)

(3) Multiply or divide starting from the left.

(4) Add or subtract starting from the left (none in this example).

Shouldn't it be 48 /2(12) = 48/24 = 2

That is the big debate! However, IMO, you would be wrong. :lol:

Yes, you do the calculations inside the brackets first, then you work the problem left to right so the first thing you do is divide 48/2 then multiply by 12. :yes:

My answer is: 1+1=11. If you were expecting a 'typical' answer you won't get one from me, no-one will, as I'm not your 'typical' person. :)

The reason for my answer lies in the probability of the BODMAS acronym not being taught correctly. Teachers who bring the BODMAS rule into the equation are divided on the meaning of the O - a fraction of them will say it stands for Orders, a small volume of them will subtract the P and have you believe it stands for Powers (WTH, since when did P's in acronyms become O's?), others estimate the root of the O to be (or not to be) Over.

I really don't know how to properly right this, but anyway

48 ÷ 2 (9+3)

The biggest problem is the way the equation is written (is 12 multiplicating [is this the right word?] 48/2 or only 2?)

So, we have two possibilities:

48/2.12 = 48/24 = 2

And,

48.12/2 = 288

I think the second one is right. The first one would be right (in my humble opinion) if the equation was written like 48/(2 [9+3])

EDIT: Well, maybe, hmmm, I'm not sure :unsure: Can I argue that this is not enought to solve it?

Edited by Operative

What language are you reading? What language are you writing? What language do you speak?

;)

And in languages that are read from right to left (like Arabic) math is still done from left to right. Maybe that's why it's called the universal language? :lol:

Isn't chinese vertical? Not sure about their math though ;)

My point exactly. Also, in some languages the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division symbols are swapped around. So the answer would be something completely different in those languages.

Edited by WytchDokta

BoDMAS - Brackets over Division, Multiplication, Addition, then Subtraction.

Don't they teach this stuff in schools anymore?

they do but it is Bidmas now brackets indices divide multply add subtact :P i'm not going to answer the question because from a philosiphy (or how it is spelt) point of view, everyone is right. who says the right answer is indeed the right answer? it's a free world there is no right or wrong.

your arm doesnt stop you from stabbing someone, turn around and say to you "hey dude that's not right" does it? and if it does i want the ###### your on! :devil:

Edited by Zeealex

No... math functions the exact same way in any language in any country. The way it's written might change, but the answer will not.

2 + 2 = 4

Always, anywhere, anytime, any language... there is no change. Same thing with the order of operations. They don't change because you speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabis, Ethiopian, French, Rastafarian, Creole, etc... That's the thing about math, there is only one right answer, ever. Pi is always Pi, no matter what.

My initial comparison of order of operations going from left to right might have been aimed at English speakers (since that's what we're all speaking here), but the answer to the original problem does not change based on what language you speak. Ever.

but who says it HAS to be 4? it could be a load of gobbaldy goop on another planet :P. it could be 3 billion, numbers are products of some idiot and very strong drugs :P i have always argued with y math teacher on this and she usually gives up quite easily. but when it comes to tests i put the "right" answer and no, Pi is Pie :P

Edited by JohnTC02
Removed Unnecessary Quote - when replying to the latest post there is no need to quote the whole post - Please use the "Add Reply" button instead.