Ghost Recon plot coming true, bang on timescale?

TheoRetiKule

ehhhh? Well if you want to be pedantic, we aren't a democracy either either, we're a republic.

They have some signs of a subversive totalitarianism, i guess -- but i see none of communism. It's a very specific and pretty obvious forum of government, which requires a pretty complex economic structure. Which they do not have.

Everything changed with regards to their system. They have private ownership. They have a pretty complex federal government. Maybe you should read up on it a bit before you make wild assumptions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Russia

again, keep in mind that your system of government is an objectively measurable fact, not a subjective or moral issue. It depends on who is in charge, in what hierarchy, and how the economy works. Not what they do.

As for your fears of russia, the world is more complex than good guys and evil communists. Unless you buy into manifest destiny or something, i don't get what the problem with 'the old kgb home boys' being in charge is. Bush sr.was from the CIA, does that make him somehow villainous? Or are our intelligence agencies full of good people, and theirs full of bad people?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Russian and Georgian leaders played too much GR.

I hope that this would end soon. It send chills on my spine that the events in the game is getting into reality

I also hope that the plot in End War shall never happen. Take note in the story of end war Russia gained finances from the oil they control

Edited by 4ceReconSniper

Putin has said that he wants to bring back the glory days of the old Soviet Union.
I thought Putin said that "he misses it but anyone who Soviet Union back is fool."

MSNBC quoted putin as saying the greatest blunder of the 20th century was the dismantling of the soviet union.

Putin is old school KGB. saying that he thinks anyone who wants the soviet union back is a fool is wild. who do you think is in charge of Russia. the good ol boys from the old days of the U.S.S.R.

I took the above post out of another thread because it deserved it's own discussion.

How spooky is it that all those years ago when RSE scripted the misison plot for Ghost Recon, and picked a date way into the future, that with an accuracy of less than 1 week, events in Georgia are escalating to the point that it is entirely conceivable that Special Forces could be inserted covertly to assist Georgia.

The above is the actual news report from the weekend, here's the first mission briefing from Ghost Recon - written over 5 years ago.

Mission 1 briefing

Welcome to Tbilisi, gentlemen - I hope you got some shuteye on the flight from Bragg, because now that we're here we've got a lot of work to do.{p}Here's the situation: We've been deployed at the request of the Georgian government to help them deal with rebels on their Russian border. Our area of operations will be the South Ossetian Autonomous region - 1500 square miles of small villages and rugged backcountry. The Ossetians have been skirmishing with the Georgian army for years, but lately the attacks have escalated to the verge of all-out war. Washington thinks that the Russians have engineered the current flare-up as an excuse to step in and annex the whole region. Our job is to cut the legs out from under the revolution before that can happen.{p}Our first mission is a raid on a rebel base in the Caucusus Moutains. A rebel leader named Bakur Papashvili has been attacking army convoys across the Terek River. You'll need to take out his guard posts first, then hit his main camp. You'll find Papashvili in the caves at the top of the hill where he's set up a command center. Take him alive if you can, but remember that he won't surrender unless all his guards are eliminated.

Change Russian Border to Abkhazia and you've got to ask if RSE had some sort of inside info!

The second mission is a search and rescue for a downed plane - again, this news story is about a downed place, although in this case it is a UAV.

Mission2 briefing

We've been tapped for a search and rescue. The Navy's been flying sorties against rebel positions from its carrier battle group in the Black Sea. Last night, the bad guys got lucky with a SAM and took out one of our F-18s. The pilot and the weapons officer both bailed out before impact, but the rebels picked them up shortly after they activated their beacons. {p}They're being held for interrogation at a farm near the crash site. Your job is to go in and bring them back out alive. Recon photos show the F-18 is still largely intact but heavily guarded. If it's possible to plant a demo charge and blow the plane, do it - but don't jeopardize your main mission. {p}And try to minimize Ossetian casualties - the Russians are already making a big stink at the U.N. about us being here and we don't want to give them any more ammunition. If Moscow decides to intervene, we're going to find ourselves smack in the middle of a major war.

Yes, that's exactly the best word to desribe the whole current situation while we look at the [GR] playing on the monitor: "spooky." And this is, as Rocky rightfully points, "with an accuracy of less than 1 week" for a game story, written more than 5 years ago.

It was exactly the same thing that came to my mind as soon as I heard the news. Well, maybe (and quite possibly) RSE had access to very good "Intelligence Analysts" at that time, those who -as it seems- knew their stuff very well, in fact maybe even better than some we have around today.

Whatever the underlying cause of that assessment was for that [GR] story at that time, the fact in front of us is that it was a brilliant political assessment.

Whoever provided that analysis then must now be very hot property(s) in the eyes of the decision makers in goverment circles, rightfully so. :thumbup:

----

----

edit: typo

Edited by Nightwatch

Hmmm, maybe we have this the wrong way around.......

Maybe it's not GR1 predicting the Georgian War, maybe President Saakashvili is a closet gamer!

I always wondered if President Bush read a bit too much Executive Decision.

It is odd though.

God be with the fallen of all sides.

I find it bizarre that Tom Clancy predicted this bloodshed with the Georgian Government and Russia happening in the year 2008. There are some similarities with the story line but it is definitely far from exact in what is going on. I doubt this will be far from over by November 10th 2008 (which is when Mission 15 ends).

Edited by Militiaman

I find it bizarre that Tom Clancy predicted this bloodshed with the Georgian Government and Russia happening in the year 2008. There are some similarities with the story line but it is definitely far from exact in what is going on. I doubt this will be far from over by November 10th 2008 (which when Mission 15 ends).

Clancy didn't have anything to do with the GR story. Brian Upton of RSE did.

Wasn't exactly like I remembered...

Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brains.

Nother one I found...

Nobody and nothing will stop Russia on the road to strengthening democracy and ensuring human rights and freedoms.

I heard an analysis on WTOP news here in DC that basically said that Georgia acted like a thug kid by picking a fight with the big kid on the block(Russia) and then hiding behind the other big kid on the block(the US).

I've heard quite the opposite from many sources. They say Russia has been giving covert and to the South Ossetia for years now in order to bolster the separatists. For years now they have been looking for an excuse to intervene and they couldn't have picked a better time. The world is distracted by the Olympics and the world's superpower is already caught up in two wars. Sounds like the Russians have been planning this for a while now. But that just could be me looking to far into this.

Russia's foreign minister said that the world "can forget about" Georgia's territorial integrity. The Russians seem bent on taking over the breakaway Georgian states. This would be akin to the United States hypothetically invading Quebec and then cutting a swathe toward Ottawa. No one in their right mind would consider that a justified move, and I don't see any rational way to justify Russia's actions, either.

Mission Briefing 3

Word just came down from HQ, gentlemen. We have official confirmation that at 0600 hours three Russian armored divisions crossed the border and linked up with the rebel forces in the north. The Russian foreign minister has issued a statement condemning "international meddling in regional affairs". Looks like we've got ourselves a full-scale international incident.

For now the U.S. is still backing the legitimate Georgian government. Our orders are, quote, "to aid the Georgian army's defensive operations in any way practical". Short and sweet that means we've got the green light to blow stuff up.

First priority is to slow down the main armored column headed for Tbilisi. We've identified an ambush point about 60 klicks west of here where the highway crosses under a rail line. A Georgian command post is nearby - if it's overrun their entire western flank will collapse. Take out the Russian advance patrols first, then the tanks. And keep your demolitions expert under cover until you need him - those tanks aren't going to be stopped by anything less than a rocket up the tailpipe.

US warns Russia on Georgia but readies concessions

Georgian leaders said a convoy of more than 100 Russian tanks and other vehicles had moved from the western city of Zugdidi deeper into their country before stopping. Cartwright said Russian forces appeared to be forming up in Georgia in preparation for withdrawal.

This is getting freakier everyday

Edited by belvucker

Mission Briefing 3

Word just came down from HQ, gentlemen. We have official confirmation that at 0600 hours three Russian armored divisions crossed the border and linked up with the rebel forces in the north. The Russian foreign minister has issued a statement condemning "international meddling in regional affairs". Looks like we've got ourselves a full-scale international incident.

For now the U.S. is still backing the legitimate Georgian government. Our orders are, quote, "to aid the Georgian army's defensive operations in any way practical". Short and sweet that means we've got the green light to blow stuff up.

First priority is to slow down the main armored column headed for Tbilisi. We've identified an ambush point about 60 klicks west of here where the highway crosses under a rail line. A Georgian command post is nearby - if it's overrun their entire western flank will collapse. Take out the Russian advance patrols first, then the tanks. And keep your demolitions expert under cover until you need him - those tanks aren't going to be stopped by anything less than a rocket up the tailpipe.

US warns Russia on Georgia but readies concessions

Georgian leaders said a convoy of more than 100 Russian tanks and other vehicles had moved from the western city of Zugdidi deeper into their country before stopping. Cartwright said Russian forces appeared to be forming up in Georgia in preparation for withdrawal.

This is getting freakier everyday

It's too bad the ###### that wrote the article doesn't mention that Ghost Recon was a PC game, and was, unfortunately, ported to the XBox and PS2.

EDIT -- Come on Al, what gives? We can't even call people mentally challenged? *laughter* A kinder, gentler GR.net we are these days. :)

Edited by Parabellum

I call "this" double standarts! I can see only peacekeeping operation against georgian agressor! I wonder why you guys not discussing past situations in Kosovo or others? maybe its time to stop seen' threat in every OUR action? We've just done what every coutry have to do! Ossetians DON'T want to live in one state with georgians and that is theirs right! I know, its hard to find out what is truth when you watching western propaganda every day on the TV! In Russia we saw the truth! we heard these Ossetians speaking about unhuman unbelieveable acts of terror by georgian army! bombing civilians... that's your freedom, democracy... damn... sorry for my ugly english... but you're waiting the threat from the wrong side... I know I'm unable to open your eyes... You may continue scaring yourselves by evil communists trying to capture the world... thats all I had to say...

I call "this" double standarts! I can see only peacekeeping operation against georgian agressor! I wonder why you guys not discussing past situations in Kosovo or others? maybe its time to stop seen' threat in every OUR action? We've just done what every coutry have to do! Ossetians DON'T want to live in one state with georgians and that is theirs right! I know, its hard to find out what is truth when you watching western propaganda every day on the TV! In Russia we saw the truth! we heard these Ossetians speaking about unhuman unbelieveable acts of terror by georgian army! bombing civilians... that's your freedom, democracy... damn... sorry for my ugly english... but you're waiting the threat from the wrong side... I know I'm unable to open your eyes... You may continue scaring yourselves by evil communists trying to capture the world... thats all I had to say...

I can't make an informed decision about what is going on as I am not there and haven't really watched the news or read about what was going on. I don't know about anyone else here, but I will not blame anyone unless it is rather apparent that I have been given the proper information. I blame neither Russia or Georgia, but just find it ironic that a game we all love to play has come true in some rather strange twist of fate.