New US Camouflage Tests

Dick Splash

lol, is the army EVER going to decide on camo? my goodness, they just came out with the acu's

EDIT: As a side note, it's pretty fricking amazing that you can't even see the 3rd guy in the last 2 photos! :)

Edited by durka-durka

EDIT: As a side note, it's pretty fricking amazing that you can't even see the 3rd guy in the last 2 photos! :)

That is amazing, as I've been trying figure out where he is for about an hour or so now. :wall:

You gotta cross your eyes a little bit and look "through" the image :devil:

This is all another fine example of subliminal advertising. You can see that the camo they don't want you looking at is worn by the big guy, while the other camo they do like, and consequently, the one you can't even see in the last photos, is worn by the skinniest guy.

This is all another fine example of subliminal advertising. You can see that the camo they don't want you looking at is worn by the big guy, while the other camo they do like, and consequently, the one you can't even see in the last photos, is worn by the skinniest guy.

Hehe the only good the ACU is good for is more mountainous/rugged terrain. After this past NTC rotation, I had to remember the location of where friendlies that were assaulting a hill. It's yeah the not most effective camo, but it has a use anyways.

I was wondering how good the ACU's were. I was getting out as they were outfitting my company with them, and they just looked hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention I HATE having to stare at someone's chest to see their rank, rather than a quick glance to the collar.

You can see that the camo they don't want you looking at is worn by the big guy,
That was one of the complaints too. ACU's make you look fat. :D

DS

Studies show that there is a direct coorelation between all things digital and weight gain :yes:

That is amazing, as I've been trying figure out where he is for about an hour or so now. :wall:

LOL, yes that camo is amazing!

lol, if you guyts didn't notice it yet: The last two pictures, IS NOT ABOUT SAME PERSON. look at the two, those you see.

In the third photo, you don't see the fat guy and in the fourth, the fat guy stands along side the person that is visible in both pictures.

I'd say there is no 3rd person in two last pictures. (I didn't find yet :P) that, or there's two completelly different camou's being hidden guys.

I was wondering how good the ACU's were. I was getting out as they were outfitting my company with them, and they just looked hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention I HATE having to stare at someone's chest to see their rank, rather than a quick glance to the collar.

Overall I like them, the velcro can go, but it's not as bad as starched BDUs, as even if you do that to Summers, it'd suck. They're more air breathable, so it's not bad in the hot weather type places. But yeah it does suck that the rank is on the chest and not the collar as well.

Besides, ACU sizes translate from BDU sizes, with a little extra room. I wear XLL for both top and bottom, more roomier and more freedom of movement than going with the old sizes.

Ahh, the most ###### off I've ever been about a uniform (other than the dress blues issue) is the change over to the completely sucky new PT uniforms.

Overall, I liked the bottoms much better, but the tops can go in my burn pile. They don't stretch, they don't breathe as well, they just suck compared to the old style. Also, if you're old enough, you'll notice hot chicks don't wear the Army PTs anymore, that should say something right there.

I wear XLL for both top and bottom, more roomier and more freedom of movement than going with the old sizes.

:o I was issued L-S (tops and bottoms) in September. 5 months later, and done with training, I'm now a S-R top and M-R bottom. Go figure. I wear the top a little tight. I imagine I'm probably *supposed* to be in M-R but, I still have good movement, only now I'm not getting caught on things. My top had a bad tendency to get caught on various pieces of the Bradleys, especially climbing around on top.

Ahh, the most ###### off I've ever been about a uniform (other than the dress blues issue) is the change over to the completely sucky new PT uniforms.

Do you know when the Dress Greens are no good any more? I was issued greens in Sept. and if I have to buy Blues soon I'm not going to be a happy camper (especially since the Greens look better in my opinion).

As far as the ACUs. I noticed that as we wore the crap out of our sets and got them dirty, stained, wore out etc, they became much more effective at camouflage, even in Kentucky. I've got my brand new set intermixed with my sets from training. The new set looks blue compared to the worn ones, which look grey-ish tan. When the ACUs first came out, I remember reading an article from PEO Soldier (I think), saying that the ACUs are designed to be effective in urban desert terrains and were really specifically developed for Iraq/Afghanistan. It's interesting to me that even after the Army came out and basically said "these uniforms are designed for current wars and max effectiveness there - not worldwide" people are still fussing about the ACUs effectiveness in dense jungle environments. That's probably why the Army is fielding different types of camo, because ACUs are temporary.

I wear XLL for both top and bottom, more roomier and more freedom of movement than going with the old sizes.

:o I was issued L-S (tops and bottoms) in September. 5 months later, and done with training, I'm now a S-R top and M-R bottom. Go figure. I wear the top a little tight. I imagine I'm probably *supposed* to be in M-R but, I still have good movement, only now I'm not getting caught on things. My top had a bad tendency to get caught on various pieces of the Bradleys, especially climbing around on top.

Do you know when the Dress Greens are no good any more? I was issued greens in Sept. and if I have to buy Blues soon I'm not going to be a happy camper (especially since the Greens look better in my opinion).

As far as the ACUs. I noticed that as we wore the crap out of our sets and got them dirty, stained, wore out etc, they became much more effective at camouflage, even in Kentucky. I've got my brand new set intermixed with my sets from training. The new set looks blue compared to the worn ones, which look grey-ish tan. When the ACUs first came out, I remember reading an article from PEO Soldier (I think), saying that the ACUs are designed to be effective in urban desert terrains and were really specifically developed for Iraq/Afghanistan. It's interesting to me that even after the Army came out and basically said "these uniforms are designed for current wars and max effectiveness there - not worldwide" people are still fussing about the ACUs effectiveness in dense jungle environments. That's probably why the Army is fielding different types of camo, because ACUs are temporary.

I thought the pattern is called "Universal Camouflage" because its supposed to be universal? From what I understand, the new UC effectively disrupts the outline of a human body, which is what camouflage is supposed to do in the first place. But the color, I think could be better thought out.

I like the old BDU/DCU approach better, kinda like what the USMC is doing with MARPAT. They've got a jungle/woodland MARPAT, and a desert one. I'm going to miss the old U.S. woodland pattern though. Great stuff that. Although I have to say our DPMs are a bit better in the boonies.

I have no idea when the greens go out of issue, but I'm sure you won't have to buy the blues. I'm out, so you'll have to find that out on your own:) I just think the whole thing sucks because dress blues are supposed to be a special dress uniform, and I remember promising myself that I wouldn't wear them until I earned them (when I got my stripes). Now every private who doesn't even know how to button his jacket right will get the blues. I remember going to Jackson once and watching all the kids walk around in their greens, all jacked up, and just remembering how much I wanted to chew them out, now I get chills thinking that translating over to the blues.

Personally, I read an article somewhere for new ideas on the dress green uniform, and the best one was a hybrid between today's greens, but in a tan color and style like WWII. I'd like to see that before everybody went to blues.

Overall I like ACU'S but the problem is that they don't last as long as the BDU'S

also I don't trust the cammo pattern and yes the velcro sucks

In my case I'm using the same sizes and I feel ACU'S have a little more room

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

• 2 weeks later...