GRAW 2 Review

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167384

I have to say, this is probably the worst review I've read for a game. It's not because I disagree with his opinion. That doesn't bother me. This guy must have spent 20 minutes total on the review, including 10 minutes to play the demo. My goodness, he barely covered anything about the game. What about the UI? How's the weapons? How's MP? Does Scott Mitchell drink Coke or Pepsi?

These people have no pride in their trade anymore.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167384

I have to say, this is probably the worst review I've read for a game. It's not because I disagree with his opinion. That doesn't bother me. This guy must have spent 20 minutes total on the review, including 10 minutes to play the demo. My goodness, he barely covered anything about the game. What about the UI? How's the weapons? How's MP? Does Scott Mitchell drink Coke or Pepsi?

These people have no pride in their trade anymore.

i think the reviewer is basically saying that GRAW 2 is much like GRAW 1 with some enhancements. i think he felt disappointed because the game is much like the first one, a kind of "been there and done that" type of thing. GRAW 2 is feeling much like an expansion pack (based on the demos), not a full blowm sequel and i think that is what is going to hurt the game. i may have to wait until the price drop, not gonna fork over $40 for another expansion pack.

Two things struck me about the review. First, he says the sound is poor. I've been impressed by the sound, personally. Second, the reviewer says " For all its prettiness, it's boring". I obviously haven't played the full game, and I guess people do enjoy different things, but I've rather enjoyed the gameplay and "squad management".

I can't really agree or disagree with the review, but I think I might enjoy a different style of game to the reviewer.

You think this is bad?

One of the first ever game reviews I read was in a local newspaper. The game was a turn-based tactical squad game in 3D isometric view. The reviewer disliked the poor graphics, lousy user interface and awkward gameplay, giving it a very low score.

The next day a good friend of mine said he'd heard of this game and was thinking of buying it. I strongly advised against it, citing the review. He completely ignored my advice and bought it anyway, then invited me over to play.

The two of us played quite a few games together, but few invoked the gaming passion like this one. The name of the game was "UFO: Enemy Unknown", or "X-COM: UFO Defence" as it was known in the US. Oh, and it was the best-selling game of the year.

I haven't really put too much faith in reviews since then...

Respectfully

krise madsen

When people entrusted to give a none bias view of a product, feel that there has been no move forward in the sequel. What can one say when none of us are suppose to have played the full release but the gold edition is making it's rounds? I have 2 copies on order and I know GRAW 2 rocks. I 've looked at the scripts and can tell you. The major differences to hit you when you first play GRAW 2 will be: ;)

The weapon change over times from primary to secondary etc. is fast and slick, in GRAW1 it was slow, so many stuck with their primary weapon. Night vision is awesome, well improved to the extent where using it is a pleasure and an experience on it's own. One problem in GRAW1 was when you shot a light source out on your screen, the same light source stayed lit on everyone else's, so shooting out lights was a waste of time, not any more, shoot it out, it's out for all. The camo colours are near on perfect, AI, Enemy are hard to spot, camouflage works a treat, Graw1 camo was a joke alot of the time. Game modes change on the fly, no more kicked from server for mode changes, now RVSA to TDM to Siege - HH all on the fly. The sound of the uniforms has been toned down and is nearly perfect. HUD text for kills etc. fades out fast and does not detract from the game. Wide screen feels roomy and spacious to play in, not claustrophobic. I can't say that GRIN have implemented all features into all modes but from the demo MP & SP I can say, I'm looking forward to the editor & tutorials, the Co-op (12 player), the Mission Campaign mode (4 player) and some great clan based matches.

Grin can/ could of done more but they have moved it one to the next step. I'm sure we will run out of maps and get bored with the 9 MP maps GRIN are supplying but if they patch up and support GRAW2 like GRAW1 then we will see things go from great to excellent in the coming months.

It's become a true tactical shooter. (open the bundle and read it yourself).

did this guy play MP at all? No snap, crackle, and pop in gunfights?

the gun sounds and firefight snap and crack are absoultely the BEST I have ever heard, its so immersive..

The rifles are all silenced/surpressed maybe he was eating his Rice Krispies at the time. I read this review in PC gamer over here in the UK last week and as soon as I came to what you mentioned above I lost a lot of faith in the persons review. No snap, crackle, and pop in gunfights? Well take the suppressors off or change your breakfast cereal.

I'm not too bothered about reviews these days, I've disagreed with many from various websites and enjoyed the game myself. If I remember correctly the [Ghost Recon] never exactly received the best reviews. From what I've played I am really enjoying both single player and multi player. For me ghost recon was mostly about its online play and the community who played the game... Games felt intense and it just had a good tactical feel to it, something other games fail to do.

The feeling I had with ghost recon was I had to be really careful playing, watching my every move, just peeping around a corner and I could be killed. In matches it got like that a lot! -- those clans around here also would probably agree with me. I haven't yet found this in ANY other first person shooter on the PC.

GRAW2 for me delivers a similar experience. However, I would of liked variety in maps and to have seen more 'green' environments. The maps from 'island thunder' ghost recon exp pack had very nice environments.

Edited by whoa182

LOL Because when you get GRAW2 you will be saying where are all the city/ industrial maps, There are NONE. All the maps are green, grey rocks and shanty styled, if you unpack the bundle the map names are:

quick.bundle_graw2_demo\data\textures\atlas_mission_specific\mp_cubes

\settings\set_texture_scope.xml

TDM

arroyo

calavera

crashsite

fort

lagoon

nowhere

the_cut

timber

LOL Because when you get GRAW2 you will be saying where are all the city/ industrial maps, There are NONE. All the maps are green, grey rocks and shanty styled, if you unpack the bundle the map names are:

TDM

arroyo

calavera

crashsite

fort

lagoon

nowhere

the_cut

timber

nice find!... i know for sure that nowhere, crashsite and fort are 360 maps... which in themselves are GREAT maps

To bad I'm not a very good translator because I think the Swedish PC Gamer review is pretty good.

+ Pretty

+ Great atmosphere

+ Tactical

+ Great sound

- Buggy

- Short

85%

The review is based on a older build than the release version but still, 85% is a pretty damn good score.

I have learned to take any "professional" reviews with a rather large grain of salt and am a firm believer in Demos and word of mouth from trusted sources FTW especially after the glowing reviews that were handed out for games like Rainbow 6 Lockdown and Vegas.

vegas had no demo and didnt get my money and from what my clanmates said I saved myself from alot of grief .

I have played both demos for Graw 2 and as a result they will get my money.

That and the majority of posters here giving their reviews firsthand is better than any pc gamer review

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I won't comment on the review except for the fact that I disapprove of it. He seemed to not have used the sat-view command to intensively when playing. (To me that is the reason the graw2 demo was so appealing - the ability to set up tactics)

The thing is these days with all these game media websites is that the editors they hire to do the reviews are geared a lot more towards casual gamers than before, like lets say in 1999.

They review 360 games and PS3 games like Halo, God of war, and Gears of war and commend them until their lips wear down. They love the arcadeish, cinematic gameplay. Like the above poster said, games like R6V and Lockdown which were complete ###### in my dictionary still got pretty good reviews from these guys, because it gave them what they wanted - brainless dumbed down shooting. However, when it comes to realistic tactical PC games like ArmA or even Graw2(even though graw 2 is still quite arcadey IMO) they are all like "zOMG, this game is too realistic, its too hard to play, the story isn't dramatic enough, there isn't enough action with bullets and shrapnel missing me by a hair's width all the time! It's boring!" and they give it a low score. Com'on, how exciting do you think real war is. most engagements take place more than 300 meters away and you almost never get to see the bad guy, because all you have to do is stay behind your cover and radio in a airstrike.

Anyway, I'm derailing myself here.

I just think there should be a game website more dedicated to hardcore gamers with serious gamers as reviewers that I can count on to give me a assessment of a game with similar criteria as I would have.

Edited by Zoot

TDM

arroyo

calavera

crashsite

fort

lagoon

nowhere

the_cut

timber

also if you look at the single player bundle you can see these some other pretty pictures. textures\atlas_gui\mission_gfx <-- thats the folder way after you unbundle it.

Edit: here are the PvP MP map over views textures\gui

Edited by Evilducky