Producer tour in The Netherlands

I really tried to get clarity about the dedicated server, but I couldn't get it.

And those XML files are used for both the game internals, physics, and you can't change those without triggering anticheat, and for the player config. And Bo told me that there is nothing in the XML you can't change from within the game, so no quake engine-like messing around with the engine.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can start a server from within the game, where you’ll find the option to host a dedicated or listen server. If a separate dedicated server will be available during launch is unsure, it might be developed and released later.

So does it mean that we need to buy two copys of GRAW to host a server, until a dedicated server get's released ?

That's exactly my concern as well. Without dedicated server files it's more difficult to setup a dedicated server because you are limited to certain server providers who have GRAW available to install on your server, or those will install a copy that you send to them. This could leave many clans/teams with contracts on their current servers that they can't use for GRAW.

GRIN, please, please, reconsider and have dedicated server files available upon launch. Please.

Im amazed.....as informations comes to gr.net I quickly post it over several sites where everyone is ready and waiting for this game. With the awesome reviews gr.net cr3w gave( among others) .....speechless.....my copy is paid for( long ago when I ordered it for the 360 too) in the hopes I get it earlier...waited along time for this.....Thanks for the info and thx for the effort GRIN

pt.1)Even if they did implement voip  it would not have the codec clarity of Teamspeak or ventrillo. And most pro clans have their own comms server anyways and would use it over the games. It would just create confusion and Grin took all this into consideration I'm sure.

pt.2)There is nothing wrong with "tweaking" your game to get the max performance from your system. The advantage comes from having better hardware. And if you spend that kind of money on your PC it should perform better.

1) So we should just exclude the casual gamer? Ya know not everyone is a pro or part of a clan. Sometimes people just like to hop on and play a fun game with people they don't know. It wouldn't create confusion unless you are easily confused. As long as there is the option to mute it would be a great feature. And so what about codec clarity.. As long as I can understand you that's fine with me. I doubt i'll run into too many chics with sexy voices that I'll want to hear in crystal clarity. I think it's foolish to think only the "pro clans" would want to use a vocie comm.

2) tweaking for system performance is not what I'm talking about. everyone's vid settings are different. but people will try to tweak recoil and draw distance(so foilage or something doesn't show up) etc so they have an edge. it's not about fixing framerates. i'm willing to bet you already knew that.

Edited by Ghost9

I never played GR1 online, so does GRAW have a command interface to confirm commands from leaders, ..errr, lol, i'm a noob to ghost recon multiplayer, ya know like, "soldier go there", and i can reply, "rgr that, i'm on it" sort of thing,lol, do you know what i mean? other than having teamspeak, roger wilko whatever. If you don't have a headset or you don't want to use one, how do you communicate or reply to your fellow gamers commands.

Im glad theres not voip. It can be useful but more times its a nuissance. ITs a voice program thats out of your control. WHile I play graw on the 360, if Im not playing with ppl I know I turn the volume all the way down cuz theres either barry white who wont ######, or some 12 yr old who keeps asking, " can anyone hear me" with his adorable mickey mouse voice. ALot of teams may advertise upon joining

(thru server name or description) their choice of voice program( ts, vent, rw) with their ip and channel for fun games, so the average gamer can join if he pleases.

Not having a built in VOIP seems good to me. I know my group likes to keep our comms on a seperate server. It just feels comfortable and safer that way, to us at least.

I've never played BF2 so I don't know what VOIP built in would be like. My first guess would be that it could create lag, again I'm only speculating.

For me, I like the comms being seperate from the game server, in the event the game server crashes we always have comms on then. I really don't care if the casual gamer can't join our server (no offense to anyone). We keep things private and by invitation only, usually.

silent_op

Not having a built in VOIP seems good to me. I know my group likes to keep our comms on a seperate server. It just feels comfortable and safer that way, to us at least.

Here's the thing everyone seems to be missing. Nothing forces you to use the voip. Nothing says that you can't use your ts or vent server for you team. Don't want to use the voip? then don't, just disable it. But don't get rid of it for us gamers who like to play games with all kinds of people we don't know. You don't have to use the voip, but some of us like to. It's narrow minded to think it's a good thing to limit communications. But I guess the majority of people who visit the forums are all on teams that never want to play along side new people or maybe they never pub it. I personally don't like having to stop and type to communicate with team members. From the comments i have encountered it seems as though the GR community wants to be some sort of exclusive club. Doesn't anyone play on public servers? or is it all and only competition.

As far as I know it doesn't lag servers. atleast I have never encountered any lag. There are a variety of games that use it and on all of them I haven't run into any problems.

Edited by Ghost9

psh. I totally disagree with this statement. I think having in game voip would've been a huge advantage and think the exclusion of it is a down-side. For this type of game especially, voip is great for organizing and strategizing with a team that you wouldn't normally have contact with. it's fine if you are always going to play with the same people on your ts or vent, but it now takes away the option to coordinate with complete strangers who aren't going to jump on some random ts server, or possibly don't have the programs. or more than that there is no server to use.

I

not sure how i feel about this. lends itself to hacks. I also can't stand it when people "tweak" to get an advantage. I personally feel a game should be played as it has been created with everyone on an equal playing field. I hate the people who mess with the game code to get an edge.

I'm sure there will be enough in-game commands that will be available. you will never hear 'their' voice, but i'm sure you will be able to send commands back and forth to other players on your team, like 'hit this spot' or 'cover me'.

I think the map editor is for making your missions, not necessarily hacking the game. I think its what kept the original GR going for so many years.

Here's the thing everyone seems to be missing. Nothing forces you to use the voip. Nothing says that you can't use your ts or vent server for you team. Don't want to use the voip? then don't, just disable it. But don't get rid of it for us gamers who like to play games with all kinds of people we don't know. You don't have to use the voip, but some of us like to. It's narrow minded to think it's a good thing to limit communications. But I guess the majority of people who visit the forums are all on teams that never want to play along side new people or maybe they never pub it. I personally don't like having to stop and type to communicate with team members. From the comments i have encountered it seems as though the GR community wants to be some sort of exclusive club. Doesn't anyone play on public servers? or is it all and only competition.

As far as I know it doesn't lag servers. atleast I have never encountered any lag. There are a variety of games that use it and on all of them I haven't run into any problems.

Even in BF2, most servers advertise their TS, or Vent IPs for everyone to join. If someone is going to be running a dedicated server, they are most likely going to have TS or Vent as well. I think the in-game map and built-in comms to players will solve a lot of problems of typing. But, if its like the orginal GR, there is a lot more time for typing than BF2, or any other FPS (which are generally run-gun games).

Ghost9

the only two gamce ive ever played that had voip built into the game is BF2 adn CSS (hey it was givewn to me as a gift lol) and there hasnt been a way to mute it and turn it down (that i can rember for hl2 and i know of for bf2) and from ym experance its just an annyiance.and you can barely hjear it over the game. with teamspeak you can hear everyone clearly over the game even when its in its loudest moments. and yes for alot of people gr is about them compation. i know ive tried to play competively with other games since i quit gr1 competively but nothings ahs caome close. im hopeing graw has it where i can get 5-6 matches a night like i used to in gr1

I've never played BF2 so I don't know what VOIP built in would be like. My first guess would be that it could create lag, again I'm only speculating.

VOIP, doesnt create a lot of lag, but it does take more bandwidth and processing power than games that don't have it.

S! All I am new here btw.

So does  it mean that we need to buy two copys of GRAW to host a server, until a dedicated server get's released ?

If only you knew what your nickname meant here in the States. ;) Welcome to GR.net.

It is not known at this time if dedicated server files will be included.

Here's the thing everyone seems to be missing. Nothing forces you to use the voip. Nothing says that you can't use your ts or vent server for you team. Don't want to use the voip? then don't, just disable it. But don't get rid of it for us gamers who like to play games with all kinds of people we don't know.  You don't have to use the voip, but some of us like to. It's narrow minded to think it's a good thing to limit communications. But I guess the majority of people who visit the forums are all on teams that never want to play along side new people or maybe they never pub it. I personally don't like having to stop and type to communicate with team members. From the comments i have encountered it seems as though the GR community wants to be some sort of exclusive club. Doesn't anyone play on public servers? or is it all and only competition.

I don't think anyone is missing the point there Ghost9, nor is it a deal about being in an exclusive club. This has been brought up in the past and gamers have always stated a preference for 3rd party comms, at least in the GR community. Yes, VoIP included with a game makes thing easier, but it is no different with TS or Vent, which are both very good VoIP programs and could be used for more than just games even though they have to be started outside of the game.

I think this could be included in the features that other games have that are not wanted in the GR franchise. This should not be a deal breaker for anyone wanting to play GRAW. Who knows, maybe in the future, the GR franchise will include built in comms, R6 had them even if they did not work very well from what I understand.

When a human player dies, he cannot respawn, but it is possible to take over an artificial teammate, when there are any alive. When the last human player dies and there are no more artificial teammates left, the mission is failed.

Ah yes,, ty Grin for choosing that route..

Ghost9

the only two gamce ive ever played that had voip built into the game is BF2 adn CSS (hey it was givewn to me as a gift lol) and there hasnt been a way to mute it and turn it down (that i can  rember for hl2 and i know of for bf2)

well i've said my peace so i'm done. but point of fact you can mute in both of those games. In CSS you can actually mute individual players or the whole server. BF2 i dunno about the individual, but you can disable it. CoD2 also has it, though rarely ever used.

and here i just went and got a new girlfriend too. should i dump her now or wait and let her live life as a girlfriend of a gamer? She'll leave soon after i'm sure  :devil:

Better be careful or I will steal her from ya. :FIREdevil:

Go get your own broad WK77. :nono:

@Bo. BO FOR PRESIDENT!!!!! :rofl:

If i'm reading this correctly, GRAW dedicated server files will be available at a later date, so therefore you won't need 2 copies of GRAW just to run a dedi server.

This i welcome, and if it means we gotta wait a month or two for those files, fine by me.

If we get GRAW in MAY whats a short wait for the dedi server files, jeezz you gotta hand it to GRIN that they've done an impressive job in churning out such an impressive game in the 12-18 months they been working on it.

Rather get the dedi files later and GRAW earlier and then download the patches and required dedi files later when the bugs have had chance to surface and be fixed. :thumbsup:

As for VOIP, most clans run TEAMSPEAK anyway and have already paid for the Teamspeak server software.Some use Ventrillo.

Teamspeak can be launched from a website so it should be easy to write a web application listing GRAW dedi servers and force Teamspeak to launch to a specific channel easily.