graw_PC_12 jpg

RatoN

You would think that seeing we will be set in the future with all the technology for GRAW that in real life they would be able to have feedback from the military to be able to customise the HUD.

So I think that switchable and movable widgets via right click and drag would be great. Hell, you can do this on Tiger Woods 2004 (and the rest) and thats a golf game!

:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The horizontal center of the screen should be clear and empty.

I agree, Raton. Actually I suggested something similar in the GRAW PC HUD Discussion thread a while ago.

The horizontal/central portion of the screen is where you'll keep your eyes at for the most part, so it should remain free of obstructions like this.

I'm hoping GRIN gets this adressed, be it in the form of toggable/customization of the HUD or simply by moving the 'team status' display to a corner of the screen.

something else i have just notice. That ''way point'' thing is direcly in the horizontal view 

an enemy as just erupted out of the building, and…

386b1hj.jpg

Why? Because you could not see!  :angry:

:nono:

i see where youre going with the waypoint being in the way, but moving a waypoint defeats the purpose of having a waypoint marker, it would be much more sensible to make the marker transparent allowing you to see through it to the enemy that is hidden as of right now. as for the health bar, i still think it should be moved, why not down by mitchells health bar? that makes sense...

The ''way point'' does not move vertically (up and down). It only moves left to right, so it doesn’t matter if it is lowered, it still points you in the right direction.

Even though the info is semi-transparent, it is still blocking the view for small or, faraway objects and/or low contrast.

Better yet... just a moving arrow with the numbers (ex: 386) on the compass would be sufficient for that information.

And yeah bro, those health bars need to come down ASAP! Does anybody from The Crew have read this? Keep the horizontal center of the HUD clear dudes. :help:

Apologies for hitting on the same nail guys, but I am sure that this will be a problem for a lot of GR fans and those to come. Stay with me on this. ;)

Bo from GRIN is here almost everday, Serellan, PSekula and others are here from RSE everyday.  They do read these threads, but there is alot more to it than seeing a post and just changing something on a whim.

Sorry what I meant to say was, I doubt they REALLY read and pay attention to everything we post. Like changing things according to a lot of posts.

what u must realise is that screens only represent a split second in the game, this screen just shows the enemy for a split second being covered up by the waypoint, most likely the second after that screen was taken he was visible... i cant say for sure, but it is still a problem either way... hope it is is fixed ASAP!

Bo from GRIN is here almost everday, Serellan, PSekula and others are here from RSE everyday.  They do read these threads, but there is alot more to it than seeing a post and just changing something on a whim.

Sorry what I meant to say was, I doubt they REALLY read and pay attention to everything we post. Like changing things according to a lot of posts.

And you are still wrong with that assumption.

Hope you’re right WK77, and that this thread will accomplish what it set out to do.

Btw, are you a Yea or a Nay on this? I would like to know what you think about this bro.

And NYR, I’ve heard that you are a skilled gamer. You must have a lot of experience with FPS. So, would the ''buddy health bars'' and the ''way point'' obstruct your view in anyway during a game, considering that:

1. It’s sitting directly in the center of the screen, in line with the reticule.

2. An enemy might pup up from far, on the horizon to the left or…

3. Close by, but behind boxes/wall, so all you can see is its head, in low light conditions.

4. The doubt that you might have missed something, causes you to constantly look to the left, because the left side of the HUD is not as clear, therefore demands more attention then the right side.

5. And all the evidences/examples offered above (pics).

see, its not about what I want to hear.

It’s about what you guys want in an FPS for the next year or so.

Cheers

In game area scanning should be used all the time.

This practice aleviates the problem of not seeing said enemy due to HUD screen.

I remember a fireing range practice back in the 70`s where you were partially blindfolded, this made you scan more effectivlyand more often.

If its there you will see it and in good time.

You will in fact see straight through the HUD at what you are looking for.

Grin have been testing this game for a few weeks now, remember a good few of these guys are ex Services, so this I dont think is going to be an issue.

You can read too much in to a screen shot.

To be honest the time element involved now changes will be minor just polish no more.

Some of the screen shots seen at IGN are bad, washed out etc, This is not UBI official screens I would not even go into talking about screens that are not on UBI site, because you dont know how old they, or where they have come from.

Colin

Sorry what I meant to say was, I doubt they REALLY read and pay attention to everything we post.  Like changing things according to a lot of posts.

That's two different things altogether.

Yes, they REALLY do read and pay attention to what is posted here, and at other relevant forums. They'd be kind of silly not to at least listen to what their potential future customer base has to say, wouldn't you think? I don't know what you are basing your doubts on, but I can assure you that I am posting based on facts; the devs do read a great deal of this forums content, and there are many more reading than you probably realise.

The other point - do they change things according to posts? We can only speculate on that (at least until the game is released anyway), but I'd venture to say they probably do change things according to the good ideas and comments that appear, and ignore the rest.

There's some really good feedback appears in here and I feel sure the dev team take it all onboard and find some of it thought provoking.

And NYR, I’ve heard that you are a skilled gamer. You must have a lot of experience with FPS. So, would the ''buddy health bars'' and the ''way point'' obstruct your view in anyway during a game, considering that:

I adapt to what I'm presented with, so whatever GRIN decides to use as the final HUD, I can live with it. But thats just me.

And you are still wrong with that assumption.

Well, then I am a happy man that i'm wrong :D

Grin have been testing this game for a few weeks now, remember a good few of these guys are ex Services, so this I dont think is going to be an issue.

Ex-military does not mean they are adept at interface design (clearly). It would be wise of GRIN to take a look at RatoN's screens. :yes:

Military experience I'd say gives them the ability to really judge if a ghost feature makes any real world sense.

If we can toggle HUD features on and off, well that would help a lot too. :whistle:

silent_op

Edited by silent_op

One thing that finally understood about Raton's case, was when I was playing BF2 with Project Reality mod. The health bar, the run/sprint bar, co-player location, the ammo, all have been minimized. The status of ppl kills have been minimized. OTS view of vehicles have been taken away, making it a true FPS game, taking away the advantages of high point to see over fences, barrackades.

I understand that this HUD concept is of the future.

In the future, I'm sure that HUD can be brought down/minimized on request. If you can operate with an overload of information, then the AirForce or Apache Flight school are looking for you. LOL

I can see the disadvantage of the health bar blocking views.

I for one would rather play that way, HUD minimized or customizable.

This feature should give us PC Gamers a bonus feature not found on console.

I don't know where majority of PC gamers are as far as their pc specs are concern. But with CPU/Graphics card prices are being competitively sold at a cheaper price over newer consoles, it would be safe to say that any customizing of HUD, a typical pc gamer rig can handle it.

Let us gamer enjoy this milestone in advance warfare gaming. Its bad enough it takes skills (and nimble fingers) to "peek around wall corners," to shoot the enemy. Its another to peek over displays.

My 2 cents :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Playing the Lockdown demo, it all came back.

Under fire, I could not leave my position and go somewhere else to have a different angle of view to attack/counter-fire. I was stuck in this location, waiting for an opportunity to slug some of the bad guys, to reduce their numbers, so I could leave this position and have a different angle of view.

The enemy AI’s were hiding behind the stone piece, and would leave their position and go to the left and back. That being the perfect spot for me to nail them, so I would wait for them to show up, yet I could not shoot them…

screenshot00xp.jpg

because I could not see them properly as the waypoint was blocking my view

So the arguments that says:

1. Simple technical infos from pics are misleading.

2. The waypoint and health bars are semi-transparent, so the player can see thru.

Are proven to be invalid.

Well that’s a good point. I know that you have a GF6800 and i have an fx5500, so maybe it’s a question of image quality/details/transparency effect.

Still, my original question remains and my conviction unshaken.

Would you prefer the health bars and the *waypoint to be moved, or stay as is?

*The waypoint could be lowered and still point you in the right direction or it could be a small arrow on the compass with the distance.

That pic is a good example of iron sights and how a FPWV should be. The only problem I see is to wide of view. Now how many of you would want that view all the time? I ask this as I see people wanting FPWV and everything else pales compared to this. Do you want that when moving? From what Bo told me and will be in GRAW, you will be able to go from that to no weapon in view when running at least. I really want to see how that works.

That pic is a good example of iron sights and how a FPWV should be. The only problem I see is to wide of view. Now how many of you would want that view all the time? I ask this as I see people wanting FPWV and everything else pales compared to this. Do you want that when moving? From what Bo told me and will be in GRAW, you will be able to go from that to no weapon in view when running at least. I really want to see how that works.

I’ll answer your question if you answer mine first bro.

:)