Why is GR2 for the PC going to be so much later

Medic6666

If I buy it for my XBoX Its not going to get played as much and will then be dumped for the next good game to arrive for my pc.

If it was actually released at the same time I would be able to by it for the PC and it would get played a lot more.

Why do the PC version of games always have to have problems. :(

/me cries in the corner.

its because RSE wants to design the PC version for the platform, not put out a direct port.

We'll see. I've seen plenty of interviews where they said that there would only be minor optimizations for the PC and that the game would be much like the Xbox version.

And IMHO the runspeeds in the console version are unrealistic. At least there won't be any (Quake style) hopping. :blink:

Edited by ruggbutt

its because RSE wants to design the PC version for the platform, not put out a direct port.

We'll see. I've seen plenty of interviews where they said that there would only be minor optimizations for the PC and that the game would be much like the Xbox version.

And IMHO the runspeeds in the console version are unrealistic. At least there won't be any (Quake style) hopping. :blink:

I saw that also but thought when serrellan said maps will be 1000x1000. remeber TANK map is 400x400 so imaging running at GR1 speeds with a 1000x1000 map.

Everything I've read about GR2 for the PC pretty much stated it will be a port of the XBOX game with a few extras. I can hardly believe the PC version will be built from the ground up for the PC. I would think info and facts about the PC version should be out in the near future now that the XBOX version is being released. Not knowing what were waiting for is tuff. :(

i believe the reason that the pc release date's been pushed back so far (and that we're not hearing *any* pc-specific news) is because microsoft flexed its exclusive-xbox-release muscle ... and ubi swooned...

anyone else think there's legitimacy to that? it wouldn't be the first time ms tried to jockey a highly anticipated title for a platform exclusive -- and with the timing of HALO2's release, and the coming holiday season.... i'd say that makes a strong case. you put all those things together, and well, let me put it this way: i already got my request signed off by the financial director -- and believe me, mrs. walnut is a tough sell. ;-)

i'm still undecided. i want to play the game now, but it would mean that i'd have to eat alot of crow: i've talked too much #$@% over the past three years about the xbox being a gimped gaming platform, i don't want to break down now. i just spent almost $1000 CA for an x800 pro and an athlon 3000+ processor upgrade -- and i'll be damned if i'm going to *downgrade* to a freakin' console. i dunno... it's very compelling (especially with a refurb'd xbox at $120-$160 USD)... i still may take the plunge, but i'll be cursing mr. gates all the way to the register if i do!

Edited by walnut

If I recall correctly, the PC version was originally slated to be released at the same time as the Xbox version. There was a huge outcry of negative feedback from PC fans right after the E3 demo was unveiled in May. I think they're addressing those gameplay issues now.

address them all.... :devil:

what do they really care.... they know at least half of us will buy it just because it is GR2

i still want my bump mapping :rofl:

xbox can die... i wont ever play consoles, untill their upgradible and come with mouse and keyboard.

but then what for. Thats why there is a PC. The focuse here is

"personal" computer.... you can customize it to the way you want. If you want a xbox type gaming platform... looky looky PC can also be one.

Edited by Prozac360

I saw that also but thought when serrellan said maps will be 1000x1000. remeber TANK map is 400x400 so imaging running at GR1 speeds with a 1000x1000 map.

I've heard the same arguments for other games where they've changed the run speeds. It was done in FarCry too, and it just about ruined the game. Thankfully the engine is moddable so most of the server admins have set it back. If you speed up the gameplay, tactics go out the window. And if you've read the interviews many people have stated that it's more run and gun. Not what I wanted to hear.

And if they're holding up the PC release cuz the PC people didn't want an Xbox port, then kudos!! I'm all for that.

Edited by ruggbutt

Have they mentioned the amount of ret spread while moving quickly? Don't think so. There is a much larger amount ret spread now while running and moving from side to side. It balances out very nicely from what I saw. If you get a chance to play it you'll see what I mean.

My local Blockbuster (in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) is renting any console with 2 games for $19.99CAD, which earns you a $20 credit towards the purchase price of the console if you decide to buy one there.

$19.99CAD is about $16.75USD, and is for a two night rental.

Luckily for me, I already have an Xbox. Now I just need to rent the game. :thumbsup:

XBox Xbox Blah Blah Blah.

I saw the graphics on the Xbox version of Raven Sheild and they were not a patch on the PC version.

I havent seen a good reason why they are releasing this thing for Xbox in favor of PC other than kissing Bill Gates's ass, a few quick buck sales to 10 yo's who will play it for a week then be looking for next weeks new Xbox game.

If it were not for the hard core PC gamers - and lets not forget the modders - who made this game the success it is, and in the case of the modders, gave it about 3 more years life span than it would have deserved otherwise, there would be no-one interested in an Xbox version and no GR2!

The results of the "What version u going to buy " poll say it all.

BOO SUCKS TO U XBOX I say!

And just a little more on the Modders, they took GR1 and made it into twice the game it was originally, mods like HX5 with helo flyby missions and all the rest of it. Why did Ubi never bother to do this when they had the tools and presumably -some - of the talent, all along?.

Lets hope they give out the modding tools up front when the game comes out.~~

JF :sheep::sheep:

Edited by JFSebastian

I know how to slow down the game in MP - take out the kill confirmation. It's not in SP, leave it out of MP. You can still record kills for stats, just no ingame confirmation. That would inject some tension and caution, especially if there are no respawns. It would make MP more realistic.

I also know that few people favour this idea. I think it would be fun.

Edited by Kurtz

i think "walnut post #7 & "jf sebastian post #17" r right on the money. xbox & ps2 guys (err, kids) will play it 4 a couple of weeks, until "the next big/cool game" comes out. if it hadnt been 4 u hardcore PC guys & all the great modders, none of these kids(including mr gates) would what the game is.seems like RSE & UBI r using GR2 as the "flavour of the month" and expect the PCers 2 wait and pick up the slack when X and PS sales start to fade. can u say the word " monopoly" Mr Gates??? and how would u feel if we put a C7/M203 up your butt??

oh yeah u better ship 2 Canada @ the same time u ship 2 US distributors, geek!!

theres more to it than a strait post with a few extra featues.

there are 2 reasons i see it that it was delayed.

warning both of these are pure speculation

a) xbox took priority as first release ( larger gross sales, resources, ect )

when ubi got told that a bad game wont be delivered, but crunch time was running out, they decided to get the money guns out first. preferable for thankgiving.

B) still tied into the first one. we all cried foul. and ubi noticed wanted "confermation" that it would be a good product that woudnt alienate the fan base. they where told it wouldnt. but more time was needed. and the perfect excuse was there. PC owners say they'd rather wait than get an xbox port. so we can delay it ( they are more die hard and are more inclined to buy a game any time of year, not just christmas ) and more can get put into the xbox release. giving them a solid investment.

so basicly we asked for it, and we got it.

out of all the things we ( including "I" ) bitched about im glad delaying it was the one. 2+ extra months will get alot more than a port done. maybe even some extra content. ( for once we may get the extra cokies and icecream as opposed to the xboxers )

Suli has played it and said the raised run speeds weren't too bad. I've seen other game companies do this and change the feel and style of the gameplay. In GR you could run a 5.5 minute mile, that's almost impossible for a soldier w/full kit. Speeding it up only arcade-ifies it more.

You guys haven't heard from me on this forum for a long while and especially in posts like these.

Why?

Cause I don't have the energy anymore to rant and rave about how I feel about gr2. :(

I used up all my energy spearheading the initial negative feedback toward ubi/rse when they debuted gr2 the console version. Trust me when I say serellan and the rest of them know of me. :rant:

My not saying much at all on the subject lately is my way of protesting what I and others believe is a mistake on ubi's part on gr2's development.

I will buy gr2 pc when it comes out for sure. But it had REALLY better impress me if it wants to be in the forefront of my pc gaming and modding time. Because there are too many other high profile and INNOVATIVE games from different companies coming out soon.

And they have too much potential for me to ignore.