Kurt Cobain

Stalker

Ten years after his death, Kurt Cobain remains undiminished as a rock 'n' roll icon.

That's despite the lingering gloom of his untimely demise, a limited catalog of recordings and a lot of unfulfilled potential as a musician and cultural trailblazer.

The songs he wrote and recorded with Nirvana -- "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Lithium," "Come as You Are," "In Bloom" and others -- still play constantly on rock radio, reminding listeners of the enduring power of his music and lyrics.

"Young musicians are still inspired by Kurt's musical sense and his emotional legacy," said Ann Powers, senior curator at the Experience Music Project.

"The stance, the outpouring of emotion that he was brave enough to give us, I think it's still relevant. As long as there are blond-haired boys in ratty T-shirts mumbling their hearts out, then Cobain will have a legacy."

Charles R. Cross, author of the definitive Cobain biography, "Heavier Than Heaven," regards Nirvana as the most influential rock band of the past 20 years.

"There certainly hasn't been a group that has eclipsed Nirvana in impact, legacy or power," he said.

In the current issue of Rolling Stone, celebrating the 50th anniversary of rock 'n' roll, Cobain is enshrined in a cover story as one of "The Immortals -- The Fifty Greatest Artists of All Time." Aside from Nirvana, the only other rock acts of the past 20 years included in the exclusive list are U2 and Prince.

"Cobain changed the course of where the music went," writes Vernon Reid, formerly of Living Colour, in a tribute to Nirvana. "There are certain people where you can see the axis of musical history twisting on them: Hendrix was pivotal, Prince was pivotal, Cobain was pivotal."

When Nirvana formed in the late 1980s in Cobain's hometown of Aberdeen, Seattle's rock scene was enjoying a resurgence in dingy clubs that fostered original music -- an unkempt, high-decibel blend of punk and metal that raged with emotion.

Nirvana arrived in Seattle, via Olympia, just as that scene was beginning to peak, giving local rock another jolt of caffeine. In 1989, Nirvana signed to Sub Pop, an influential Seattle label that promoted a distinctive sound and look loosely defined as "grunge."

"Part of what was so captivating about Nirvana's music was not so much its stunning originality, but its remarkable fusion of so many different strands of influence," said Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman.

"I remember the first time I heard a Nirvana song. Maybe it's my own frame of reference, but I heard so many different artists, so many different voices and influences just in one song. It was almost overwhelming."

In 1991, Cobain, bassist Krist Novoselic and drummer Dave Grohl released "Nevermind" on DGC/Geffen Records, an album that since has sold more than 14 million copies. Cobain's riveting songs gave rock's underground a voice in the mainstream.

"They were good songs at a time when people weren't writing good songs anymore," said Jack Endino, who produced Nirvana's first album, "Bleach," for just over $600.

"And they had memorable melodies. They were very Beatles-esque. They were like classical pop melodies on top of Black Sabbath riff-rock."

"Here we are now/ Entertain us," Cobain sang in "Smells Like Teen Spirit," the anthemic debut single from "Nevermind," which rocketed up the record charts in the fall of 1991, sweeping past such acts as Boyz II Men, Garth Brooks and Metallica.

In January 1992, "Nevermind" knocked Michael Jackson out of the No. 1 slot on Billboard's album chart, an achievement viewed with amazement. Sub Pop co-founder Bruce Pavitt compared it to the Mariners winning the World Series. Nirvana's success was a triumph for what people were calling "alternative" rock.

"Like other cultural shifts before them, they had a seismic impact on the landscape of music," said Steve Slaton, music director at Seattle classic rock station KZOK 102.5 FM, which cautiously has added Nirvana's music to its playlist.

"Nirvana instantly dated the 1980s hair bands. I don't want to pick on anybody, but there were a lot of groups that were very, very popular that were instantly obsolete. But that was the kick in the butt that rock 'n' roll needed."

Soon, the strain of unwelcome stardom began to undermine Cobain, a troubled soul who struggled with his yearning for success and self-expression and disdain for notoriety.

David Fricke's Rolling Stone review of "In Utero," the 1993 follow-up to "Nevermind," distilled Cobain's malaise: "Never in the history of rock 'n' roll overnight sensations has an artist, with the possible exception of John Lennon, been so emotionally overwhelmed by his sudden good fortune, despised it with such devilish vigor and exorcised his discontent on record with such bristling, bull's-eye candor."

When Cobain's body was found the morning of April 8, 1994, above the garage of the Denny-Blaine home he shared with his wife, Courtney Love, and daughter, Frances, it brought a calamitous end to one of the most remarkable careers in rock.

A suicidal Cobain -- who had killed himself on April 5 with a lethal dose of heroin and self-inflicted gunshot blast -- had fostered a musical revolution, then abruptly removed himself from power, leaving his fans to pick up the pieces.

"Cobain's death was equated by many who cared most deeply about what he represented as the death of possible cultural alternative that embraced a group of outcasts and perceived losers who didn't really have a voice," said Michael Lewis Goldberg, an associate professor at the University of Washington who teaches a course on pop culture that includes a segment on the Seattle scene.

kurt%20cobain%202.jpg

AMEN :(

my sister-in-law is a big fan of his, and one of the many who believe all the murder and cover up conspiracy theories. she get's a tad annoyed when i call him kurt cocain instead of using his real name, yelling abuse and stating all the "fact's". i personally am not a big fan, and believe he shot himself in a drug induced stupor. but hey, that's just me

cheers......

I never paid much attention to Cobain, before or after his death. Nirvana's "music" was and is worthless, IMHO. I see no lasting impression on music left by Cobain. It sounds heartless, but, in the grand scope of things, he ended up being just another junkie who wasted his life and talent.

I see no lasting impression on music left by Cobain. It sounds heartless, but, in the grand scope of things, he ended up being just another junkie who wasted his life and talent.

Ahhhh Para. I gotta love ya ol' boy! :P

Completely disagree (naturally! :rolleyes::lol: ). The fact that we are here discussing the death of the very man, TEN YEARS after the event, and on a military FPS fan site (and not a grunge appreciation site) kind of suggests that there was a lasting impression - if not by his music then by the man himself. Personally, I would argue you cannot seperate the 2 entities in any case.

I can appreciate many not caring for the Seattle delinquents of the grunge scene, but seriously...MTV's Nirvana Unplugged session will remain on my shelf for a long time for the simple reason. It's a very emotive musical performance.

RIP Kurt.

Who cares what he was like as a man? Look at todays music scene, the same if not worse. Look at the Beetles: LSD Maniacs. Hendrix (god rest his soul) died of an OD at 27. Pink Floyd, The Doors, all the same thing. It is the music that matters, and Nirvanas was and still is very influential. I follow them loosely, and bought there best of album recently.

@Para, id like to see some examples of music or artists that you find deep meaningful and influential.

What is this song all about?

Can't figure any lyrics out

How do the words to it go?

I wish you'd tell me, I don't know

Don't know, don't know, don't know, oh no

Dnn't know, don't know, don't know

Now I'm mumblin' and I'm screamin'

And I don't know what I'm singin'

Crank the volume, ears are bleedin'

I still don't know what I'm singin'

We're so loud and incoherent

Boy this oughtta bug your parents

Yeah

It's un-in-tel-ligible

I just can't get it through my skull

It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss(?)

With all these marbles in my mouth

Don't know, don't know, don't know...

Well we don't sound like Madonna

Here we are now, we're Nirvana

Sing distinctly? We don't wanna

Buy our album, we're Nirvana

A garage band from Seattle

Well, it sure beats raising cattle

Yeah

And I forgot the next verse

Oh well, I guess it pays to rehearse

The lyric sheet's so hard to find

What are the words? Oh, nevermind

Don't know, don't know don't know...

Well, I'm yellin' and we're playin'

But I don't know what I'm sayin'

What's the message I'm conveyin'?

Can you tell me what I'm sayin'?

So have you got some idea?

Didn't think so, well, I'll see ya!

Sayonara, sayonara

Ayonawa, adinawa

Odinaya, yodinaya

Yaddayadda, yaaahyaaah

Ayaaaaah!

Who cares what he was like as a man? Look at todays music scene, the same if not worse. Look at the Beetles: LSD Maniacs. Hendrix (god rest his soul) died of an OD at 27. Pink Floyd, The Doors, all the same thing. It is the music that matters, and Nirvanas was and still is very influential. I follow them loosely, and bought there best of album recently.

@Para, id like to see some examples of music or artists that you find deep meaningful and influential.

Meaningful artists? I can't think of any secular artists whom I'd consider meaningful, but I think that there are a plethora of artists who are influential. Look at the Beatles, Elvis, or even (gasp) Led Zeppelin. All artists who made their mark long ago, and who (especially the Beatles) continue to greatly influence not just a particular music culture, but society in general. It's virtually impossible to find a modern pop or rock song that isn't influenced by the Beatles in some way. Their influence went beyond fringe groups, and influenced an entire generation of people, and continues to influence the next generation as well. Not bad for a band that broke up 30 years ago.

Now, contrast that with Nirvana. The genre that they epitomized is all but gone and forgotten. The angry grunge culture has given way to hip hop (rubbish), and, what's more, their music has failed to cross cultural and generational boundaries, to widely influence other music. That's why I hold that Nirvana was just another band in a sea of Seattle bands. Their influence was small in scope, short in duration, and limited in power.

It's all a matter of personal taste and opinion. What is meaningful to one may not be to another, etc. :thumbsup:

I have to agree. Granted, whatever circumstances anyone might believe about concerning his death, Kurt was a decent musician and it was sad how his life was extinguished. I also think that yes, everyone has their own opinions about music. Someone might be fanatical about Kurt, while someone else might be fanatical about say..Motzart (who was srewed over alot and died a sad way too). It just depends on the person's tastes. Overall though, everyone can at least agree, that when anyone, who has even the slightest hint of a possibility of influencing at least one person in the world, dies "before their time" it indeed is a sad time for those who knew of them and more so the people that didnt get a chance to know them and their works when they were alive.

ok..there's my 2 pfenning's worth :thumbsup:

Now, contrast that with Nirvana. The genre that they epitomized is all but gone and forgotten. The angry grunge culture has given way to hip hop (rubbish), and, what's more, their music has failed to cross cultural and generational boundaries, to widely influence other music. That's why I hold that Nirvana was just another band in a sea of Seattle bands. Their influence was small in scope, short in duration, and limited in power.

First off, i dont and never have liked Nirvana. But i have to give them their dues for what they did in a mere 7 years of existence. To call them merely a grunge band isnt accurate at all. Nirvana helped bring punk-derived indie rock to the forefront, going against the mainstream pop crap like Jacko. Just look back at how many punk/pop punk/"alternative" bands have emerged since the early 1990s. And where do you think the recent punk rock originates from? But i gather from parts of your other posts, mainly the secular comment, that you dont listen or really follow this kind of music. But feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Now, contrast that with Nirvana.  The genre that they epitomized is all but gone and forgotten.  The angry grunge culture has given way to hip hop (rubbish), and, what's more, their music has failed to cross cultural and generational boundaries, to widely influence other music.  That's why I hold that Nirvana was just another band in a sea of Seattle bands.  Their influence was small in scope, short in duration, and limited in power.

First off, i dont and never have liked Nirvana. But i have to give them their dues for what they did in a mere 7 years of existence. To call them merely a grunge band isnt accurate at all. Nirvana helped bring punk-derived indie rock to the forefront, going against the mainstream pop crap like Jacko. Just look back at how many punk/pop punk/"alternative" bands have emerged since the early 1990s. And where do you think the recent punk rock originates from? But i gather from parts of your other posts, mainly the secular comment, that you dont listen or really follow this kind of music. But feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Recent punk originates from bands that are far older than Nirvana. Ever hear of the Sex Pistols?

But i gather from parts of your other posts, mainly the secular comment, that you dont listen or really follow this kind of music.  But feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

I used to follow that kind of music, when I was in high school. I still try to keep somewhat abreast of current 'music', if you can call it that. Honestly, it's been years since I heard anything new that made me think, "Wow, that's original and well-written".

Now, contrast that with Nirvana.  The genre that they epitomized is all but gone and forgotten.  The angry grunge culture has given way to hip hop (rubbish), and, what's more, their music has failed to cross cultural and generational boundaries, to widely influence other music.  That's why I hold that Nirvana was just another band in a sea of Seattle bands.  Their influence was small in scope, short in duration, and limited in power.

Recent punk originates from bands that are far older than Nirvana. Ever hear of the Sex Pistols?

But i gather from parts of your other posts, mainly the secular comment, that you dont listen or really follow this kind of music.  But feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

I used to follow that kind of music, when I was in high school. I still try to keep somewhat abreast of current 'music', if you can call it that. Honestly, it's been years since I heard anything new that made me think, "Wow, that's original and well-written".

yep heard of the sex pistols. Though they had no influence whatsoever of bringing indie rock/alternative music to the commerical forefront in the early 1990s. Btw, read or listen to what the sex pistols have to say about recent punk bands and you'll understand their lack of influence.

Who cares what he was like as a man? Look at todays music scene, the same if not worse. Look at the Beetles: LSD Maniacs. Hendrix (god rest his soul) died of an OD at 27. Pink Floyd, The Doors, all the same thing. It is the music that matters, and Nirvanas was and still is very influential.

Sounds to me like it's the drugs that matter, not the music. How much does the music really matter after you've overdosed or blown your brains out with a 12 gauge? :blink: