Motion Blur in GR (And other stuff)

pmartin

(I know there is already another ENB thread here on the forums, but I didn't want to bump it since this one will cover a very different version)

Most of you may know the ENB mod for GR we have on the download section (Bloom Mod), last night I've spent a lot of time experimenting with a DirectX 9 version of it, trying to make it work. (Ghost Recon uses DirectX 8)

This version uses a DirectX8 to DirecX9 convertor, which enables DX9 post processing effects on DX8 games. I've experimented a lot with all the settings, and I was able to come up with a few (good looking, may I say) effects.

1.A decent bloom:

Some people like really strong bloom effects, almost blinding ones that makes the sky white with light, I don't like it, so I've made it really soft and easier on the eyes, it actually looks good and it doesn't obstruct the field of view and makes enemy spotting harder. (This effect was absolutely doable on the DX8 version, but on DX9 it looks smoother and less "artificial")

2. Color Correction and Eye adaptation:

I liked this one, the colors look great and the eye adaptation is a nice touch. Just sometimes it looks too saturated, but it can be changed.

3. Motion Blur:

I don't know about this one yet. It works great, the frame rate impact is minimal (even on my Intel graphics card), but I don't know if it's too distracting. But it's interesting to be running for cover while everything is blurred. (I've tried to make it noticeable but still subtle)

Frame rate wise, it runs really smooth on my pc with onboard intel graphics.

Occlusion doesn't work, I'm not sure about shadow, it does make some difference but I don't know how much.

By default the Anisotropic Filtering is set to 16x. Also I was able to make Depth of Field work, but without motion blur. I won't share it since I haven't found a proper configuration of the parameters (and also because DOF will make the game really hard to play. You can't be near-sighted to shoot a gun ;b) (But maybe it will look good for recording movies, so I'll mess around with it and if I achieve any good results I will post it.)

Video (Watch it at 720p, it's easier to see the blur that way):

[media=]

Download:

http://www.mediafire...i4c69wuo66dbv86

Installation:

Just extract it to your main GR folder, and then start the game. To activate the effect press SHIFT+F12.

EDIT:

Also, credit for the ENB DX8-DX9 convertor and Plugin goes to Boris Vorontsov, I just made this custom preset.

EDIT2:

Here's the version with the FXAA Injector.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zvw5ki64slcoast

Instalation:

Extract to your main GR folder, and then start the game. ENBseries is activated by SHIFT+F12, INJFX is activated

with PAUSE.

To edit the configuration for INJFX just open the FXAA_Tool.exe

credits fort the FXAA injector at the fxaa_readme.txt. :)

Edited by pmartin

looking good, i wonder if this will work on linux... worth a try! thanks for sharing!

I may try adding Reflective Occlusion maps onto the .rsbs and then seeing if this Addon picks up on it i know you said it doesn't work, but nothing wrong with trying. i've been using a fakey effect on the water textures in project Novo

Edited by Zeealex

looking good, i wonder if this will work on linux... worth a try! thanks for sharing!

I may try adding Reflective Occlusion maps onto the .rsbs and then seeing if this Addon picks up on it i know you said it doesn't work, but nothing wrong with trying. i've been using a fakey effect on the water textures in project Novo

It is possible that if you add it it will work, the main problem is that characters appear with a lot of flickering shadows when occlusion is on, but I bet there are ways to fix it.

weird I am not getting the motion effect like yours is showing mine is blocky and more like a window is trying to overtake the game from under it. Wonder if its the fact my video isnt built in? anyone else?

That's weird. Could you take a screenshot? What's your video card?

Did anyone else tried it? Does it work?

I have no idea to why this happens, try with a lower screen resolution.

And if it doesn't work you can disable it through the enbseries.ini, just change the line "EnableMotionBlur=1" to "EnableMotionBlur=0" and you'll still have all the effects except for the motion blur.

Make sure that, if you had another version of ENB in your GR folder, you replaced it with the new version.

Also, try this

"[MOTIONBLUR]

MotionBlurQuality=0

MotionBlurVelocity=50

MotionBlurRotation=50"

instead of this:

"[MOTIONBLUR]

MotionBlurQuality=1

MotionBlurVelocity=60

MotionBlurRotation=60"

And I recomend starting the ENB only in game, as menus get affected by it too.

Edited by pmartin

It is possible that if you add it it will work, the main problem is that characters appear with a lot of flickering shadows when occlusion is on, but I bet there are ways to fix it.

it's probably something to do with the model files, if they were updated versions like Thales' GRAW exports there probably wouldn't be a problem.

mine comes up with an error saying i need a D3d_dx9.DLL or something like that, i was running windows 7 at the time.

possibly because Directx11 is installed and not DX9?

oooh! I'll try the occlusion with those models that came with your beta from project novo! If it works I'll post some pics.

And for the D3d_dx9.DLL error, I'll quote the ENB website:

d3dx9_26.dll, d3dx9_40.dll - required to run ENBSeries, but download them only if game won't start with modification and display error message. These libraries are part of DirectX Runtime, they are not exist in system only for those users, who did not update DirectX several years or did clear installation of OS recently. If you need them, unpack to same folder, where ENBSeries is. Also you can put these files in to system folder of your windows installation.

EDIT:

Direct links to files doesn't work, so here's the link for the download page, just look for the text quoted above.

http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

Edited by pmartin

Good news:

P8iCs.png

Look at this screenshot, you can see the bloom and the motion blur, but it has an ugly color config, what does it mean?

I'm running the FXAA Injector in GR with the ENB mod, I just used the color config to make it clear that the FXAA injector was working.

For those of you who doesn't know FXAA is one of the latest (and fastest) anti aliasing techniques, and well, this is an injector that's been widely used recently. It is waaaay better than the ENB AA. No more lonely pixels floating around GR treetops.

EDIT:

That was quick! Download link added to the OP.

Edited by pmartin

haha, no. :b

I just been messing around with it a lot lately, experimenting with a few configs for some other game (deus ex), and then I thought that with the re-texturing project GR deserved some post processing effects.

And have you tried it? Does it work for you? I haven't been able to try it on any other pc.

Edited by pmartin

Installed this today to give it a try, and to be honest i did'nt like it. I played a couple of missions and then i was going to uninstll, I got called away for an hour, and when i came back i thought i will give it another go. Well several missions later and its grown on me! the whole soft look and the motion blur work well, when you get used to them. I found it slowed my game play style down (not the FPS as Rocky already said ) you can run and spot enemy moving in bushes anymore. So i tended to walk more. and only ran to cross from cover to cover, having had a good look around first.

But while in the crouch position you can move slow with out to much blur as in RL, but the one thing i didnt like was if your in crouch, moving slow and you side step the blur cut back in a bit to much for my liking. I also tried it with the following mods and didnt find any issues.

Rockall, 9MS mod, SAS equipment mod and Blood Oil

Im going to try it on YOTM later ,as im wondering how the bloom and soft look will be in some of the maps that are quite foggy already ?

With out ENB

noneENB.jpg

with ENB

withENB.jpg