New Forums Online!

Rocky

About 50% of the time I click a new GR.net page, it's displayed in some kind of very basic configuation, without the skins and with all buttons and icons one below the other to the left. I use Chrome (on Vista Business) and when I tried Firefox it seemed to work 100% of the time, so my guess this is a Chrome issue?

(Unfortunately, Firefox is at odds with my PC, freezing regularly, so I prefer Chrome if possible).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 50% of the time I click a new GR.net page, it's displayed in some kind of very basic configuation, without the skins and with all buttons and icons one below the other to the left. I use Chrome (on Vista Business) and when I tried Firefox it seemed to work 100% of the time, so my guess this is a Chrome issue?

(Unfortunately, Firefox is at odds with my PC, freezing regularly, so I prefer Chrome if possible).

I have seen that happen to me on other sites, it usually means the CSS file was slow to load for some reason, ie. if I am on bit torrent or the site server itself is slow. I've never seen it here though.

I can imagine it is frustrating though, my advice would be to try and resolve the firefox issues (it is better than Chrome anyway :whistle: ) If you really need to stick with Chrome, I will ask at IPB if anyone else has this issue.

PM me progress if you wish, we can't have errors like that on your daily forum!

I have seen that happen to me on other sites, it usually means the CSS file was slow to load for some reason, ie. if I am on bit torrent or the site server itself is slow. I've never seen it here though.

I can imagine it is frustrating though, my advice would be to try and resolve the firefox issues (it is better than Chrome anyway :whistle: ) If you really need to stick with Chrome, I will ask at IPB if anyone else has this issue.

PM me progress if you wish, we can't have errors like that on your daily forum!

I wouldn't mind using Firefox if Chrome wasn't so much faster... ;)

And just to rub it in, the only other place I've experienced this is on the Ubi forums... :devil:

I dunno how this forum stuff works, but if it's a compatibility issue I suspect either side will eventually fix it?

I wouldn't mind using Firefox if Chrome wasn't so much faster... ;)

Ack don't drag me into a browser debate! Seriously, the top 3 browsers load pages so fast these days surely the speed difference is indistinguishable?

Anyway, I do want to look into this for you even though I am sure it's not a forum issue per say. I'll add it to the to-do list.

I've just noticed that when adding a reply, all of the previous posts below in 'Topic Summary' have all of the posters' details missing. They're all blank. There's no signature either. After the post is made, all of the details then show.

The reason I wanted to post a reply was I noticed the dashed/dotted line between the post and the poster's signature. Does that have to be there or can it be made invisible ie. can the colour match the background? It's not pretty?

Whilst on the subject of 'pretty', sandwiched between staff/admin etc.'s avatars and their title is a GR post class indicator. Can that be removed?

DS

I've just noticed that when adding a reply, all of the previous posts below in 'Topic Summary' have all of the posters' details missing. They're all blank. There's no signature either. After the post is made, all of the details then show.

The reason I wanted to post a reply was I noticed the dashed/dotted line between the post and the poster's signature. Does that have to be there or can it be made invisible ie. can the colour match the background? It's not pretty?

Whilst on the subject of 'pretty', sandwiched between staff/admin etc.'s avatars and their title is a GR post class indicator. Can that be removed?

DS

I don't even understand the first part, but will deal with the last bit. :whistle:

That's working as intended.

Anyway, I do want to look into this for you even though I am sure it's not a forum issue per say. I'll add it to the to-do list.

For some reason GR.net pages do load much slower in Chrome than in FF, but when I reload the page it's displayed properly. No need to put it on the front burner, I'm counting on the problem to fix itself eventually :)

Between each post there is a thick horizontal aqua coloured line. Can that colour be changed to match the vertical dark grey lines at the sides of the posts?

DS

...but will deal with the last bit.
That's better :thumbsup: , but it still shows between Admin, Staff and Supporter :whistle:

DS

Did you remove them or is it an IPB default setting?

DS

I don't even understand the first part...
Try adding a reply to this and you'll see that all the details to the left of the post are missing. Yes?

DS

Hmmm yeh, is that new lol, do I need to see it?

Update: I'm experiencing the doesnt-load-the-skins problem with other websites as well, so no need to waste any more time on it Rocky :). I suspect the problem is with my ISP and GR.net-via-Chrome just happens to be more vulnerable for some reason.

Ok Krise, thanks for the update.

That's better :thumbsup: , but it still shows between Admin, Staff and Supporter :whistle:

DS

Please deal direct with zjj on this one.

DS

Supporters will have that title as it's their rank that they've earned. It's removed from staff, consultants and admins. Let me know who still has that as I went to each profile to change it. Note that there are a couple of us who have custom titles (i.e. Rocky, ZJJ, Johntc to name a few).

Did you remove them or is it an IPB default setting?

DS

I don't even understand the first part...
Try adding a reply to this and you'll see that all the details to the left of the post are missing. Yes?

DS

Hmmm yeh, is that new lol, do I need to see it?

DS - this is an IPB thing. Even in the old forums the topic summary didn't have poster's profiles listed when replying to posts; it isn't something that we changed or removed, it never was there to begin with.

Should the figure 'Posts' [to the left] be the same as 'Active Posts' in 'My Information'?

Not necessarily. One is the post count that is increased by posting in forums where the setting increases post count; the other counts all posts, including those that do not increase post count

OK, I found a bug or ill thought out feature, links not opening in a new browser tab or browser (depending on set up). This could lead to members closing out the tab and leaving the forums when they do not want to.

I believe this is fixed for links posted within a post or PM. Let me know if a new window/tab does not open when clicking a link.

I just tested it and while clicking a link in a sig the page opens in a new tab, a link in a post still opens in the same tab/window. I did just what I said would happen earlier today and left the forums when I forgot about not going back a page after leaving YouTube. >_<

One other thing, while using the classic skin, the links under the thread that are in white are hard to see against a light grey background depending on the angle one has their monitor/laptop screen tilted or how high they are sitting above said screen. Other than those 2 little points, I like how everything turned out. Good job NYR.

Congratulations on the forum upgrade Rocky and NYR!

Amazing job on both the new and classic skins NYR! I know I requested the classic skin, but I'm currently using the GRFS skin and it rocks. Really easy on these old eyes :thumbsup:

Just a couple questions for now:

1. I noticed there is a new icon for the website up in the URL bar that looks like a white "V" on a blue background. Any particular significance for that?

2. Rocky, what does "I have IAD" mean?

Congratulations on the forum upgrade Rocky and NYR!

Amazing job on both the new and classic skins NYR! I know I requested the classic skin, but I'm currently using the GRFS skin and it rocks. Really easy on these old eyes :thumbsup:

Just a couple questions for now:

1. I noticed there is a new icon for the website up in the URL bar that looks like a white "V" on a blue background. Any particular significance for that?

2. Rocky, what does "I have IAD" mean?

That's the default emoticon, it's on my list to change.

The custom title I have is a reminder to me that giving some admins too much power can be a bad thing.

Supporters will have that title as it's their rank that they've earned. It's removed from staff, consultants and admins. Let me know who still has that as I went to each profile to change it. Note that there are a couple of us who have custom titles (i.e. Rocky, ZJJ, Johntc to name a few).
I understand, but to me it just looks 'hand written' or like an afterthought. With the new look, those custom titles just look out of place. I think they would look better;

a/ Placed below the Staff, Admin, Supporter bars

b/ Be a similar style to those bars instead of plain skinny grey text.

c/ Be in brackets. It would be more grammatically correct.

d/ The bars and all of the information below should be raised in one go, upwards and closer to the avatars.

Would it be possible to be able to click on those bars eg. Staff and for a list of all staff members to appear, either in a pop up or new page? From there, you could click on another staff member and find their profile or posts etc.

Not necessarily. One is the post count that is increased by posting in forums where the setting increases post count; the other counts all posts, including those that do not increase post count
I didn't know that happened. I thought all posts count. I know mine 'count', I wouldn't post them otherwise. :D

That's the default emoticon, it's on my list to change.
Yes, it would be nice design continuity to have the new skull icon appear to the left of http and to the left of the tabs. Would it be possble to keep the green classic target icon for people using the classic skin?

If you're not signed in, I noticed there are two grey bars at the bottom right; "You cannot reply to this topic" and "You cannot start a new topic". Can they be replaced by an identical button called "Sign In To Reply"? Which obviously when you click on it, sends you to the sign in screen. You can then click on 'Multi-quotes', sign in using that button and be taken to the propper posting page.

I noticed all of my saved messages have a red "X' next to them which states it's deleted. What's going on there?

Where did the BFS link or section go?

DS

@ DS

Custom Titles : I agree, the text does look a bit out of place between to graphics. I've added it to the list to look at moving that text further down perhaps.

Member Groups : Clicking on the member group badge is a good idea, but there are other easy ways to reach any member (the members tab), so this one I will pass on for now.

Site badge : I called it an emoticon but we are talking about the site favicon, and no it cannot be different dependent on the skin, it's a site wide browser feature. On the list.

BFS : Didn't those forums go away when the official BFS site went online, like ages ago? :rolleyes:

I'll see what we can do about that font colour.

I wanted to post that the issue with the profile pictures not showing is being looked at but it is proving elusive. All your profile photos are still on the server, but they are not showing in your profile unless you upload a new one.

We are working away on that one...