Photo Corner

Papa6

@Rocky: From memory this was the one I used. Not really 100% though as I took about 15 photos with varying settings and after checking them through acctually whiped them from the harddrive without noting down what one looked the best. :wacko:

Here's the files straight off the memorycard though without any changes at all.

JPG file

RAW file

Only change I did was from memory to turn the D-Range optimiser off (with it on I got a greenish halo around the moon) and tweak contrast/brightness somewhat. Lots of difference between the JPG and the RAW files though, guess it pays to shoot RAW+JPG even though it takes a crapload of memoryspace on the card.

@Fletch: all the data ought to be in those files ;) Lens used was the Sony DT55-200mm F4-5.6 lens that came with the camera.

Nope, no filters used in that shot.

I do have a polarising filter though that I plan to try out the next time I get good conditions, should really do it right now as it's totally clear and 100% full moon right now but just don't have the energy.

Just guessing that the polarisier might dull out the usually overbright parts of the moon and let more detail come thought, that's just a hunch though and nothing I can say for sure.

Alrighty, tried it with a filter yesterday and just checked through the pics....no joy what so ever. The polariser just washes things out even more than shooting without the filter does. Got some decent shots but with the filter on it just brings the contrast down between light and dark to much to really get any real detail.

So much for that idea. <_<

With alittle fiddling with my original photos I think this is about as far as I can take it with details.

moon2.jpg

Compare to the earlier attempt.

moon.jpg

Bit darker but with more visible details.

Not the same RAW image used though so there's a chance I could alter the first one and get more out of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3 shots from the weekend just passed, had a pretty good location for both some closeup and landscape shots so I just had to try it out.

DSC00043-2_thmb.JPG

Fullsize

DSC00052-2_thmb.JPG

Fullsize

DSC00097-2_thmb.JPG

Fullsize

Just wish I would of moved in closer for that last shot but didn't really want to first negotiate my way over a barbwire fence and then face either get trampled by the cows in that paddock or risk the snakes. That thing on the left is a pond teeming with frogs so snakes are sure to be closeby!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4014709441_7c558a2d35.jpg

(click pic to enlarge)

Camera: Nikon D3000

Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)

Aperture: f/5.6

Focal Length: 55 mm

Focal Length: 55.0 mm

ISO Speed: 800

sorry, still sorting thru the 16,000 pics we took in Oz :wacko:

wife's turn to use the camera....her first time using a DSLR camera

4051675865_1f474be045.jpg

click pic to enlarge

Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)

Aperture: f/5.3

Focal Length: 40 mm

Focal Length: 40.0 mm

ISO Speed: 400

BTW would you guys buy a floor model/demo/no scratch 55-200mm VR that carries a 90-day Nikon warranty only?

• 2 weeks later...

Caught this little ###### out in the backyard the other day

link to large image

And keeping a very close eye on this recent addition to the garden as it's about to flower...never seen this perticular type of succulent in bloom before. Very overcast day when I took that photo though so it looks very dull, hope for a nice sunny day in order to get some good flower photos

02.JPG

Cheers mate. Have to say I was pleasantly suprised with how it turned out.

Though it isn't grass though but rather a very lowgrowing type of palmtree called Sago Palm. ;) That white thing in the background is one of the uprights that make up my poolfence and a good 8 or 9 centimeters across...gives alittle scale to the size of that wasp.

just few attempts on Black & White

could really use some help

4096340065_8b522929b4.jpg

Exposure: 1

Aperture: f/4.0

Focal Length: 24 mm

Focal Length: 24.5 mm

ISO Speed: 100

Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Flash: No Flash

4096339883_3afc272c4a.jpg

Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)

Aperture: f/4.0

Focal Length: 24 mm

Focal Length: 23.8 mm

ISO Speed: 100

Exposure Bias: 0 EV

• 2 weeks later...

So I get into Dublin today and take a wicked ride on a double decker bus (no, I didn't get my first bus ride until today even though I spent a couple of hours in London last week) to the city center and Dublin Castle. Nice tour and interesting history. Bram Stoker used to be a government worker.

Anyhow, here are a couple of pics.

dublincast1.jpg

dublinnight1.jpg