Sniper tourney mod...wip

Lightspeed

Well its taken me a while to get the concept down and the location right.

But I think I finally got sumthin.

Here's the concept -

Real World location.

Requires some Western Intervention to destabilise a military government.

Requires Black Ops - specifically a Sniper to eliminate key targets.

Priority for this mod -

1. Plenty of players out there say they love playng as a Sniper and 'being' a Sniper but do they really grasp the concept of what it means to be a Sniper?

The reality of the Snipers world (life) is that they can spend days travelling and waiting for that one shot one kill - that one moment to make mission success or failure.

It's not about grabbing a Sniper Rifle and hiding in the nearest bush.

So to be the best Sniper you will have to be prepared to work for it.

2. GR in terms of Sniping has limitations - no gun sway, breathing, bullet drop etc. and the maps arent that big for long range shooting.

So to compensate - you will be required to take the maximum distance shots that I can muster - and probably at moving targets.

It won't be easy, and you will need patience - but whether you win or lose - you will come away with some sense of how hard the Sniper must work for his success.

Still in the early days, but the concept seems sound enough.

Now to create.

Edited by SCE_Lightspeed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Priority for this mod -

Plenty of players out there say they love playng as a Sniper and 'being' a Sniper but do they really grasp the concept of what it means to be a Sniper?

Not from what I've seen in MP. The weapon is reduced to merely a mouse with a big scope and a big bullet, period. It's impossible to play the role properly unless everyone in the game is in "realism/tactical/imersion mode". Good luck finding THAT server these days.

i thought about putting a spotter in and i guess im still not totally sure. Really we dont need a spotter for this becuase we cant simulate real wind effects etc etc so im thinking of putting all the pressure on individual players (snipers)

bigcat - i think you misunderstand.

this will be a single player or possibly 2-player coop mission tourney. I will release missions as each player completes the previous mission.

the problem with the normal gr maps is that by the time a player has crossed half a map to get to the kill zone - the maximum distance the shot can be is about 150 to 200 yards.

i've taken a different approach - the snipers trip to the kill zone will involve him crossing several maps on the way to the final map where his target (s) will be found.

at this point, the sniper will only have a short distance to travel to set up at the kill zone - but then the shot (s) will be at least 300 meters and hopefully as far as 400+ meters to make the glory kill.

the problem with the normal gr maps is that by the time a player has crossed half a map to get to the kill zone - the maximum distance the shot can be is about 150 to 200 yards.

i've taken a different approach - the snipers trip to the kill zone will involve him crossing several maps on the way to the final map where his target (s) will be found.

at this point, the sniper will only have a short distance to travel to set up at the kill zone - but then the shot (s) will be at least 300 meters and hopefully as far as 400+ meters to make the glory kill.

*Great* concept, Lighty. Go for your life!!

:thumbsup:

Theo

you know the more I think about it - the better it would be for a 2 man team - a chance to share the intensity for starters.

but also, it brings the possibility of teamwork in and a few extra weapons - for some secondary objectives along the way.

creating a few seemingly accidental deaths or explosions along the way.

a few diversions, etc.

but who will be the sniper? who will make that one shot to win the Sniper Tourney?

well at least you have time to think about it.

ive scrapped it.

the concept is sound but GR is not when it comes to sniping.

this is the problem if i set the range at 300+ meters or any distance for that matter.

if you use a sniper rifle with a pinpoint accurate scope it will never miss no matter hwo noob you are.

if i pull back the accuracy of the sniper rifle a tiny bit then it becomes pure luck whether you make the hit or not.

there is no medium - and you cant base a Tourney on these extremes.

the distance could be 400 meters and still if the scope is set to pinpoint then boom kill.

so at the end of the day - i cant produce a Sniper Tourney which will reward the best sniper.

sorry folks...blame GR for this one.

Edited by SCE_Lightspeed

Lighty, for what it's worth I thought you were right on the money with your thought about travelling across several maps to get to the eventual kill-zone. Getting into the sniper's head isn't just about breathing right to take that shot - it's also about the necessary stealth to reach your final hide without being detected or otherwise compromising your mission on the way.

So, you'll still need the stealth and / or teamwork elements to work through (say) two maps to reach your target area. Then you'll have to manouevre round hostiles or civilians to get your angle right - maybe against the clock, or with tangos actively looking for you (Dynacomp-stylie?) if you've blown your approach (but not so badly it's a complete abort-mission) on one of the previous maps.

Plus, don't forget your target can be moving or effectively concealed. I found it perfectly possible to miss the General when he was riding in that lorry in the Frostbite "Sniper's Nest" mission!!

Finally, there's the problem of exfil - right back across those previous maps again - now maybe with extra objectives or secondary targets of opportunity, certainly with the whole country up in arms. Or do you wanna send us all on one-way tickets?!

Have a think about it, anyway?

:thumbsup:

Theo

Edited by TheoRetiKule

What about, like you've said, sniper + spotter concept , with one or two men team both in SP and MP (limit of two men can be scripted in all missions).

Only these two classes could be available in SP and MP, no backup or reinforcement platoons too in all missions - "move stealth, kill and extract" basic concept.

If you add sniper rifles to the mod, like a TC so that only these rifles can be used, you can limit max zoom to lets say 10x and carefully adjust the stabilization time and accuracy on prone position.

You said "if i pull back the accuracy of the sniper rifle a tiny bit then it becomes pure luck whether you make the hit or not" , but working together stabilization time, requiring some time to aim correctly to the target, and just dropping a little of prone accuracy, you can have an adjustment that will require essentially patience to the player, more than luck.

Join this with a custom turnband setting and patience plus slow movements while aiming are what the sniper will need to shoot.

Maybe a smaller sniper scope mask could be used too.

Then you could use lots of stuff to make things more interesting to the players:

1-fog and weather changes (can be added to any of the below)

2-target moving fast in a jeep - specific target like the beginning of DS Aftermath by Jack57 - kill wrong guy is mission failed

3-sniper moving in a heli and as objective to take down targets also moving in jeeps or trucks or to protect a jeep from enemy snipers - counter sniper mission

4-targets + civies or hostages with the same appearance but a small detail that the sniper or the spotter should be able to identify fast to make the shot w/o killing the wrong guy + random positions of the actors

5-target inside a truck moving and you have only one long shot to take him down (like sniper nest mission in Frostbite)

6-one single shot mission, otherwise its mission failed, target using heavy body armor and adjust ballistics of the rifle (scripted) so that only a headshot could make the job with only one shot

7-no info about the appearance of the target but the spotter equiped with sensors could move stealthy till 40 meters from target and send info to the sniper, away like 200 meters, about the position of the target based on the red and green diamonds positions on command map - killing wrong guy is mission failed + random position of the actors

etc ...

You can also make "twin" maps as only one big mission, the first requiring stealth, so the target could be found and killed just in the second map.

The cool "Sniper Training" mission is a good example of sniper action in only one map - imagine one map before that the sniper - spotter team , or just sniper, had to move carefully to finally get in the second map and do the job - the mod could be almost four or five "2 missions mini campaigns" hehe .

:)

Edited by niccola

Yes do, after all, it is only human nature to blame some-one/something else.

ouch - not nice.

guys you have some good points about alternatives to the sniper shooting, and i had thought about the exfil too - which very quickly doubles the number of missions required.

i will reevaulate particularly if i have access to fresh maps which fit the scene.

but i must say - with COD4 fast approaching..who knows what I will get done.

in some ways i think a sniper tourney on another engine might be better.

we'll see.

One of the frostbite missions involved a sniper shot from a cliff, with a view over a roadway. You had to take a shot at the convoy and take out the correct driver etc.

Righthand won a mission modding competition using a sniper mission where you had to shot a terrorist holding someone hostage, through the window of the cottage on the railroad bridge map.

Zeroalpha scripted a series of sniper training missions for GR.

If you really want to do it, it can be done, with a little bit of ingeniouity.

I still think you should go for it. I mean sure, you can have the great effects like, hands shaking, breathing, heartbeat, wind, and gravity. But shooting isn't the biggest part of being a sniper. Being a sniper is about stealth, and finding targets. Anyone can shoot a rifle, but not just anyone can walk through a heavily guarded area, without being spotted.

And that's something ghost recon can simulate.

So even tho shooting is just point and click, it'll still be really fun.

Also moving targets at 300+ meters can be difficult to hit. And you're also thinking the wrong way, if I made you shoot at a target, even a moving target 300 meters away, do you think you could hit it? Ok, now make the same shot with a 4X scope. :shifty:

Edited by Shadows_Fall

Rocky that mission was so easy i had it done in all of 2 mintues.

And this Mod is not dead - in fact it has been merged into a bigger project with a small Team working on it.

Yup, its coming along quite nicely. Im gonna try to make a mission for it, i may need pointers from you tho. like how to set up rotating images, world map, etc.