Is this going to use Gamespy again?

Please say no. Gamespy doesn't allow college students to play online due to ports needed therefore a lot of market share is lost in a key demographic.

I think "count on it" comes to mind. That choice isn't up to GRiN... Ubi will dictate that decision based on the business decisions they've made with GameSpy. Since they were in GRAW 1 I'd assume they will be used for GRAW 2.

Not that I like that answer, mind you. I also wonder if "direct connect" will make it since that essentially allows MP without GameSpy. That would break the business model between Ubi and GameSpy.

I'd say Yes to GameSpy, and unfortunately, No on Direct Connect.

Has anyone heard anything more definitive yet?

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Please say no. Gamespy doesn't allow college students to play online due to ports needed therefore a lot of market share is lost in a key demographic.

I think "count on it" comes to mind. That choice isn't up to GRiN... Ubi will dictate that decision based on the business decisions they've made with GameSpy. Since they were in GRAW 1 I'd assume they will be used for GRAW 2.

Not that I like that answer, mind you. I also wonder if "direct connect" will make it since that essentially allows MP without GameSpy. That would break the business model between Ubi and GameSpy.

-jk

Callsign 3Point

There is one good thing that came outta gamespy. No one can spoof your account. No one else can go in as ROCO*AFZ* and tk a server rendering them banning me the 1st time i went in. I will say gamespy has helped server admins in that way + the cd key hash.

As for sads... the inhouse works fine... once they got it stable.

Makes you wonder why UBI wouldn't use their own account system. Doesn't really make sense to outsource that when UBI already has a login system.

Are you talking about the ubi.com system that we all used with [GR], or the simple ubi.com login system?

If the latter, I think there is a huge difference between Ubi having a registration system to allow web customization, forum access and online commerce, versus a full-fledged online gaming environment like GameSpy. Ubi would have to invest significant funds for hardware, network infrastructure and development to match GameSpy in that regard.

Again, I'm not a huge fan of GameSpy...

If you were referring to the former, then I would say some of the same arguments hold true. Ubi's system still dates back to the [GR] days, with some advancements here and there, but it's no match for the functionality offered with GameSpy. Ubi saves the money because they don't have to invest it in capital by signing agreements with GameSpy to provide the online capacity at a fee. It's a pure business play, nothing more.

-jk

Callsign 3point

Are you talking about the ubi.com system that we all used with [GR], or the simple ubi.com login system?

If the latter, I think there is a huge difference between Ubi having a registration system to allow web customization, forum access and online commerce, versus a full-fledged online gaming environment like GameSpy. Ubi would have to invest significant funds for hardware, network infrastructure and development to match GameSpy in that regard.

They're both the one and the same... you can log in to the Ubi.com system for [GR], RVS, SCCT, SCDA with the same account as your forums account. That one account is universal.

• 3 weeks later...

-jk

Callsign 3Point

There is one good thing that came outta gamespy. No one can spoof your account. No one else can go in as ROCO*AFZ* and tk a server rendering them banning me the 1st time i went in. I will say gamespy has helped server admins in that way + the cd key hash.

As for sads... the inhouse works fine... once they got it stable.

You got one thing right !!! "One" good thing came out of gamespy and about 20 bad things. Today once again gamespy has major issues and with no game spy you have NO GRAW MULTIPLAYER. Why do we have to put up with this ? WE BOUGHT A MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game that depends on a crappy service from gamespy, no gamespy, no game....

What is the problem with giving us back the option of DIRECT IP like Ghost recon one !!

GRIN BUILD IN DIRECT IP as an option !!!!!!!! this game is 100% wasted if gamespy bombs

WE SHOULD START A PETITION TO SHOW HOW STRONGLY WE FEEL

INC. OPTION FOR DIRECT I.P.

What is the problem with giving us back the option of DIRECT IP like Ghost recon one !!

GRIN BUILD IN DIRECT IP as an option !!!!!!!! this game is 100% wasted if gamespy bombs

WE SHOULD START A PETITION TO SHOW HOW STRONGLY WE FEEL

INC. OPTION FOR DIRECT I.P.

Well. Before i say anything else, let me say that I very much like Options and direct IP is one of those options I like. though Hamachi is not a compelte work around for direct IP, me and my buddies use it often for 8 player games and lower. I have never tried it for a 32 player game. and yes. I know the limitations of Hamachi and the security issues that are not present when using Direct IP. as I said, I like Direct IP.

BUT

Havent the gamespy problems gone away ever since 1.35? I mean i connect every night for game after game after game. Since 1.35, all those annoying problems connecting seem to have simply gone away.

I'm surprised any one is still feeling gamespy doesnt work well since 1.35. It seems perfectly stable to me. But of course, I'm just one guy.

I think you may of missed the point,

The point is, if gamespy goes down, your stuffed !! (not your connection, but gamespy server login server). We have a game that 100% relies on gamespy, so in effect NO GAMESPY, NO GRAW ONLINE, unless your luck enough to have your own network.

It wouldn't be the first time. :wall:

The point is, if gamespy goes down, your stuffed !! (not your connection, but gamespy server login server). We have a game that 100% relies on gamespy, so in effect NO GAMESPY, NO GRAW ONLINE, unless your luck enough to have your own network.

Well. I guess you are right. Except of course for Hamachi as I mentioned. but as I stated earlier, Hamachi is certainly less useful.

I wonder what the real chance is that Gamespy might actually go out of business and stop provifing the service during the true life of the product? Don't actually know enough about their financial health to speculate.

And of course, you might also mean even if they go down for the weekend or something. That one is a bigger pickle.

I'll bet people wouls start setting up hamachi based servers and then start posting about them. But that would have its limitations and be a bad bandaid at best.

So point taken (this time). :shifty:

Gamespy is not thaaat bad, not the best compared to Quazal Rendez-vous and some others, but it's quite fine.

Direct IP was removed from alot of games due to NAT traversal issues: how can you explain to a non advanced user that he cannot create a server and give his local ip because he's behind a router..

Here is a question... in your favorites you can type an ip and connect to a server. If gamespy is down you can't login though. Can you still use your favorites since they are "IP based"

I remember Gamespy issues when GRAW 1st came out... but we could not do ip via the favorites then. Haven't had a Gamespy issue in over 6 months though nowadays.

BTW ubi lobbies were taken down do to them being hacked. I'm betting they gave up on working on UBI after that fiasco.

Here is a question... in your favorites you can type an ip and connect to a server. If gamespy is down you can't login though. Can you still use your favorites since they are "IP based"

I remember Gamespy issues when GRAW 1st came out... but we could not do ip via the favorites then. Haven't had a Gamespy issue in over 6 months though nowadays.

BTW ubi lobbies chate was taken down do to them being hacked. I'm betting they gave up on working on UBI after that fiasco.

I tried it, crazy thing is, you can get to favourites once it says GAMESPY login failed, you can access favourites, but now you add the IP of the server and it shows the server but it then says you must be logged in to join !!!!

I brought this point up again cos if gamespy goes down for you, your stuffed, even if you know the IP, you can not join. Like you all say it's been good since 1.xx patch but that may of been GRINS time out problem, this is not, it's gamespy. The game works, it's the join function via gamespy that is the problem, it be nice to have a direct join.

I don't care if my CD-KEY is validated by another server, but we hang onto gamespy for online play. It failed today for most of europe !! but I can still see the server I want to connect too, just can not join cos of my connection to gamespy is down.. :wall:

end of story.

BTW ubi lobbies chate was taken down do to them being hacked. I'm betting they gave up on working on UBI after that fiasco.

I tried it, crazy thing is, you can get to favourites once it says GAMESPY login failed, you can access favourites, but now you add the IP of the server and it shows the server but it then says you must be logged in to join !!!!

I brought this point up again cos if gamespy goes down for you, your stuffed, even if you know the IP, you can not join. Like you all say it's been good since 1.xx patch but that may of been GRINS time out problem, this is not, it's gamespy. The game works, it's the join function via gamespy that is the problem, it be nice to have a direct join.

I don't care if my CD-KEY is validated by another server, but we hang onto gamespy for online play. It failed today for most of europe !! but I can still see the server I want to connect too, just can not join cos of my connection to gamespy is down.. :wall:

end of story.

Good test Viiper as i hadn't tested it.

One more for you

<standalone_post_on_gamespy value="true" />

in server shared. Maybe Grin can answer why this is there if false would mean no one could access it as it wouldn't be posted on Gamespy.

thx, but all this does is switch on the actual dedicated server listing to "list on

gamespy" or not but I still get asked to login , since the server is an online

server , opposed to a LAN.

I has one guy in France, one guy in Spain & one guy in Romania all with the same

(and about 6 in uk) all having the same problem, surf 100% see server 100%,

login to GS 0%.

Today the same, inc one of our members from Finland, with same problem on GS

thx, but all this does is switch on the actual dedicated server listing to "list on

gamespy" or not but I still get asked to login , since the server is an online

server , opposed to a LAN.

I has one guy in France, one guy in Spain & one guy in Romania all with the same

(and about 6 in uk) all having the same problem, surf 100% see server 100%,

login to GS 0%.

Today the same, inc one of our members from Finland, with same problem on GS

One in vU has it permanently since a couple of days and another have had problems with it from time to time.

3 Days NO GAMESPY, Q.E.D.

EUROPE can not loginto gamespy: FINLAND: HOLLAND: ENGLAND: FRANCE: ROMANIA: SPAIN

And gamespy is doing fcuk all

Ubisoft is Gamespy's client and I emailed them and have no reply....

I wonder if GRIN in SWEDEN is having issues !!!!

Yes, people cant play ArmA for 2-3 days now, cause of the Gamespy problems. They cant see the servers list.

Only joining by IP u can join a server.

Edited by Big

I promise you this is not GRAW or GRIN , although "SILENT GRIN" will be having the same problems because they are next door to FINLAND (Grin SWEDEN). But after 3 days I'm getting nowhere with UBi or Gamespy.

If your in Europe, and having Gamespy issues, like you can not login for the last few days, drop a post here I know the issue is over most of EUROPE and some USA players (Connecticut US) are having problems too....

:wall:

I promise you this is not GRAW or GRIN , although "SILENT GRIN" will be having the same problems because they are next door to FINLAND (Grin SWEDEN). But after 3 days I'm getting nowhere with UBi or Gamespy.

If your in Europe, and having Gamespy issues, like you can not login for the last few days, drop a post here I know the issue is over most of EUROPE and some USA players (Connecticut US) are having problems too....

:wall:

Gamespy is not working in sweden either.