GRIN/GRAW in the news!

Now I just need a translater. <_<

Article in the paper.

Its about how it is working at GRIN and stuff.

... a year ago. Seems to be an article from 2005. Talking about testing GRAW and how it's gonna be launch in *EDIT(fall as in typo) EDIT* spring (2005) if all goes well for Ubi.

EDIT: Article starts with: Publicerad 8 november 16:41

doesn't say the year tho...

Edited by devilhimself

Yes, it's mainly about a guy who works for them testing games. The interesting bit is where it says:

"The guys at GRIN are currently testing a game called GRAW, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. If all goes well it will be released this spring by UBI"

I don't know what to make of that. Do they mean GRAW2 or is it a really old article that didn't get published until now?

edit: ok, so apparently it was old :)

Edited by slipRock

Well, they did say they where about 60 people. I'm not sure if everyone are/where working on GRAW.

EDIT: I think it was published yesterday :mellow:

And since the site is called Dagens Nyhter (Todays News) so I guess the site is quite "up to date".

Edited by Hockeystick

Well, if there is still another patch in the works, it makes sense that the tester could/would still be working on the original GRAW. The bit about it being published in the string makes it sound like the article was probably written some time ago and pulled out of the file when the paper needed a filler piece though.

There's 2 more thing that might hint at it being a "filler" piece that they have broken out of storage.

1: The article speaks about the ghosts taking out terrorist cells in Mexico. Doubt GR:AW 2 (if there will be such a thing from GRIN) would still be set in Mexico.

2: The photo and text accompanying it speaks of the modeler in the picture creating a grenade machinegun, he's got a mini replica of a Mk19 sitting on his desk. There is already a Mk19 in GR:AW....why would they reinvent the wheel and model a new one if they already have one made?

There's 2 more thing that might hint at it being a "filler" piece that they have broken out of storage.

1: The article speaks about the ghosts taking out terrorist cells in Mexico. Doubt GR:AW 2 (if there will be such a thing from GRIN) would still be set in Mexico.

2: The photo and text accompanying it speaks of the modeler in the picture creating a grenade machinegun, he's got a mini replica of a Mk19 sitting on his desk. There is already a Mk19 in GR:AW....why would they reinvent the wheel and model a new one if they already have one made?

Well, there are thousands of different inventions of the wheel :)

We got the gearwheel and the tire and bla bla... etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the MK19 a stationary machine gun that is used in GRAW? What is the handheld version of the automatic grenade launcher? How are they different (besides one is stationery and one isn't)? Could one be used to model the other?

:stupid:

Well, for starters, the Mk19 is a little heavier than you. The autoloader you're referring to, I HOPE, is the ol' MM! spamcannon from [GR], no? It's the only one I've heard of to date. Yeah, there was the XM320 ( ? ) that was developed for the OICW to be used in tandem with the XM8 rifle, but that's been relegated to the Bat Cave by now.

Only explanation I can think of in terms of current work would be a vehicle-mounted Mk19. All the elements for vehicle-mounted are already in place, as in the machineguns atop the little armored trucks. But then, I'm not a programmer/designer/anything, so who knows how complicated it might be to make the same model work in a different (mobile) application? Even if it's like 10 minutes' work, the writer may have caught our GRIN'er at just the right time...

Of maybe they ARE making GRAW2 as we speak. Or modeling it for an update. Reskinning it for different environments? COMPLETELY REINVENTING THE GRAW WHEEL (as per our repeated requests)...

The world may never know...

Well, for starters, the Mk19 is a little heavier than you. The autoloader you're referring to, I HOPE, is the ol' MM! spamcannon from [GR], no? It's the only one I've heard of to date. Yeah, there was the XM320 ( ? ) that was developed for the OICW to be used in tandem with the XM8 rifle, but that's been relegated to the Bat Cave by now.

The one I am talking about is the one that the military was going to use, but got scrapped. Is that the XM320?

Old " news "

:yawn:

Cuchillo*, I'm glad you all know so much more than I do. [/sarcasm]

There is a reason this thread is in the forum and there is always a reason I ask "stupid" questions.

Now if I could only get some answers to my questions, this thread could continue down it's intended road.

The one I am talking about is the one that the military was going to use, but got scrapped. Is that the XM320?

The XM320 is/was supposed to replace the M203. I wonder if you were thinking of the XM25 it was basically the just GL portion of the OICW but with a different size GL round if I remember correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a translation for this newspaper article. Thank you, Peace!

Patched v1.1, December 19, 2006.

Text to photo: Michal Reszka creates an automatic grenade launcher for the game GRAW.

War not for real - Dead serious

Grin Inc is located at the second floor at “Hötorgsskrapan” [building in Stockholm, Sweden]. Here, 60 young men work in an office that is as single-gendered as a fire department. They are testing a game that perhaps will rock the world next Spring.

- This is the most fun job in the world, Kristofer Dahl says.

As soon as you enter the office it is evident that this is not an ordinary office. Sixty pairs of large shoes are crowded in the hallway. At Grin Inc., the employees are walking around in their socks only.

In the large narrow room, Special Forces soldiers are attacking terrorist cells in Mexico, but on computer screens.

The boys at Grin Inc. are testing and doing quality assurance of a game which is named GRAW, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. If everything goes according to plans, it will be released next Spring by the French publisher and gaming company Ubisoft.

For several months the employees at Grin Inc. checks that the story line is intact, the weapons look realistic, and that the maps are well functioning.

- It is a little bit of a playground, says Kristofer Dahl.

He just had a remark that one of the weapons had too much recoil. A report is submitted to a colleague who is responsible for that part.

Games of this type can sell in many million copies, and usually cost around 500-600 SEK [70-80 USD].

Kristofer Dahl is 28 years old and has worked as a mailman, as bartender, in a clothes store, and with production of music. For the job at Grin Inc., he has no formal education, he has just a great passion in gaming.

He has had the job for 4 months, and would love to keep doing this the rest of his life, he says. The franchise is large and but this there are other things he could do.

- It requires you to keep thinking like a person who plays this game for the first time, even if it is hard trying to do so.

Exactly like his colleagues do, he also does gaming on his spare time, to keep track of competitors and simply because it is fun.

- A kitchen chef may not go home and cook a delicious dinner every evening after work, but he has to eat something…

There is a little bonsai-tree on his desk. Others got their desk piled up with Coca-Cola cans. It is dark in the office, so the sun doesn’t disturb the images on the screens. There is a pool table if you have a problem and want to relax.

- It’s a relaxed atmosphere here, Kristofer Dahl says.

His friend has worked for Grin for 2 years. Sometimes the job becomes monotonous, he says, but for the most part it is varied and it is a creative environment where everything is about gaming.

The language is always English.

Regular work time is 8.30 am to 5.30 pm weekdays, but when there is a deadline approaching, there is a lot of overtime.

They all think it is fun that all employees are males in the same age.

It doesn’t get as “macho” as at an automotive repair shop, with posters of women etc, because we really are for the most part nerds, Jens Landin says.

Kristofer Dahl thinks there is so few females in the franchise, because the games are really based on the same type of drama as his dad’s old books about Indians and cowboys.

There is only one woman working here. It is Annelie Åström, or ”Mum”, as she calls herself. She does the administration, salaries, and keeps track of most things.

- She is mother to two of the boys here for real, but occasionally also for the rest of us.

Bo Andersson is CEO and part owner of Grin Inc, which was created in 1997 and the company has grown since then. He does not need to advertise after people, they seek him up.

- A lot of people send their application in online, where they attach their portfolio, he says.

There is college education in game development, but formal training is not that important. It is the portfolio and the interview that matters the most.

- The same personal chemistry and motivation is good, but employees shouldn’t be too similar, then they will not find the caveats in the games.

The employees who work as testers and with quality assurance earn about SEK 15.000 – 25.000 /month [uSD 2.150 – 3.570/month]. Programmers and engineer with education may earn SEK 45.000 [uSD 6.430].

- Some of the employees have joined the union, most commonly the “Graphical Worker’s Union”. We belong to the “Employer’s Union”, Bo Andersson says.

Cecilia Jacobson [name of the female journalist]

Edited by ZJJ

my oh my, even translated Jens manages to sound like a total cheese ball ^_^

Jens? Jens who? Is "Kristofer Dahl" one of Jens code names, or is it vice versa?

And by the way...yea, in the beginning I thought too this was some old article "DN" finally decided to publish. However, now when we know better, "GRAW" in the article does most likely refer to "GRAW 2", so it was not old news. This is promizing as we now now that GRIN has been working on the title for a while, and will probably have time to do a rock 'n roll MP from release :rocky: ...

If the GRINS would like to see some substantial player numbers on the servers out there, don't focus 100% SP (who cares about SP :P ) Please, make sure "GRAW 2" is released in a fair shape, also for us dedicated MP players, like 1.35 is for GRAW., it might stand a chance to attract some old GR players again...

I promize you it will be a great feeling having had developed a game with a live and kicking MP community :) (today it isn't as it was for GR)

...and yea, I'll do my usual rant of

- multiple insertion zones (with random insertions option) for MP t vs t,

- and an overall better injury model in this post too :P

my oh my, even translated Jens manages to sound like a total cheese ball ^_^

Jens? Jens who? Is "Kristofer Dahl" one of Jens code names, or is it vice versa?

Maybe it was Jens Landin? ;)

It doesn’t get as “macho” as at an automotive repair shop, with posters of women etc, because we really are for the most part nerds, Jens Landin says.

Edited by Hockeystick

I finally got a translation for this newspaper article.

Here, 60 young men work in an office, which looks as beautiful as a fire department [sarcasm by the female journalist].

This is a completely erroneous, it's supposed to be: "Here, 60 young men work in an office that is as single-gendered as a fire department."

I finally got a translation for this newspaper article.

Here, 60 young men work in an office, which looks as beautiful as a fire department [sarcasm by the female journalist].

This is a completely erroneous, it's supposed to be: "Here, 60 young men work in an office that is as single-gendered as a fire department."

Upsi Daisy, that was sloppy mistake by me but (I did it a bit in a hurry), but l'll get it patched in due course... :P v 1.1

Do you GRiN guys want any new features or is there anything (your favourite sentence maybe) that has been omitted from the Original? hehe...