1.21 crosshair color change possible!

thanks to PW Postal for sharing his discovery of a hidden feature in GRAW since 1.21. it is now possible to modify your crosshair color RGB values and not run into problems with the file checker. also, thanks to GRIN, for finally delivering such a long awaited fix.

it's a quite simple change in one of the game xml's, located in this folder:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\Settings\profiles\graw_profile_default

the name of the file is profile.xml. it opens with Notepad/Wordpad.

under <settings>, you will see a list of options, including a new line:

<classic_crosshair value="false" />

after changing the value to "true", you'll need to add another line.

<ret_color value="255 0 0" />

the whole thing looks like this:

<settings>

<account_auto_login value="true" />

<account_name value="=PW=Postal" />

<account_password value=".........." />

<auto_reload value="true" />

<campaign_last_event value="7361766567616d65" />

<campaign_progress value="" />

<classic_crosshair value="true" />

<difficulty value="normal" />

<hardware_cursor value="true" />

<invert_mouse value="false" />

<mouse_sens value="1.03" />

<mouse_sens_gui value="1" />

<multiplayer_name value="Player" />

<network_speed value="512" />

<ret_color value="255 0 0" />

<show_markers value="true" />

<sticky_peek value="false" />

<voice_quotes value="true" />

<volume_music value="-21.6" />

<volume_sfx value="0" />

<zoom_toggle value="true" />

</settings>

those numbers are for a solid red color. hope you enjoy the game a lot more now, i know i will.

:D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno. Maybe you created your profile before the 1.2 patch or something. I didn't open the game on this computer until after I installed 1.20, so it must have made my profile with that setting.

OMG that stuff is annoying! lol

Edited by BOTA:X

Was this tested on a server running the AC?

yes.

that's Postal's xml, mine are off, which reminds me i haven't heard the TDM/HH voices yet... how are those?

Edited by th33f.

Was this tested on a server running the AC?

yes.

that's Postal's xml, mine are off, which reminds me i haven't heard the TDM/HH voices yet... how are those?

Is there voices in hh and tdm? mine have been off for a while.

For those that don't know or don't wish to edit it's in the options under the game tab... uncheck voice quotes.

As for ret color change... will this be legal in laddering? Looks like it's a little above a standard in game check mark to me.

It gives one an advantage over those that don't read these posts and know about it, so... it's up to Grin to make it legal (in game option) or not... killed by the file checker.

I am all about fair play and if you can see the ret through the muzzle flash because of changing the color of it, then you have a "Advantage" over those that do not know of this.

I am all about fair play and if you can see the ret through the muzzle flash because of changing the color of it, then you have a "Advantage" over those that do not know of this.

huh? was it ever illegal in GR? not on a single ladder! it was never a part of the in-game options either. are you going to say, "No muzzle flash in GR!"? using the same logic, silencers give you an unfair advantage as well?

a bit over the top there, Roco. whoever has a problem tracking the ret, will eventually run into one of these posts, and if he's playing competetivly - he'll definitely be able to find this through his clanmates, etc.

i play with my post effects off, and that option is not in the game. i can see everything very clear, and my framerate is way up there most of the time. kick up the brightness to 1.5 and i don't need nightvision on team adversarial maps, save a few spots. am i in violation then? going down the same road you could convict anyone using Texture_Managed_xxx="true" lines of improving their gameplay without everyone knowing about it. damn hackers!

huh? was it ever illegal in GR? not on a single ladder! it was never a part of the in-game options either. are you going to say, "No muzzle flash in GR!"? using the same logic, silencers give you an unfair advantage as well?

a bit over the top there, Roco. whoever has a problem tracking the ret, will eventually run into one of these posts, and if he's playing competetivly - he'll definitely be able to find this through his clanmates, etc.

i play with my post effects off, and that option is not in the game. i can see everything very clear, and my framerate is way up there most of the time. kick up the brightness to 1.5 and i don't need nightvision on team adversarial maps, save a few spots. am i in violation then? going down the same road you could convict anyone using Texture_Managed_xxx="true" lines of improving their gameplay without everyone knowing about it. damn hackers!

Truthfully as Grin has stated with posteffects... "They won't fix nightvision with it off as you have to hack the xml file to do this"

So yes I guess you would be... and guess what? i play with it on.

As for your sliencer... it's built into the game as an option. Ret color changing is not.

In GR1 also i never changed it. There wasn't a way to detect it then though. With the file checker Grin imposed there is now. Same with post effects off. That's like saying full screen night vision was also not legal (which btw it wasn't but no real way to detect it)

So again i say. GRin either needs to make both of those detected by the anticheat... OR make them options the average joe can get to without editing an xml.

You are right Roco that this needs to be an option in the game. Everyone should be able to change their ret color to what ever they are comfortable with. Heck...i would like to see it taken a step farther to where you could change the style of the ret from in game. Joint Operations did this and it was awesome.

I have stated before that if this becomes a big issue i will put it back because as you say...i am all about fair play as well. You are also right that Grin needs to address this one way or the other. Either make these in game options or have the Anticheat detect it.

On a side note....Roco...Me and the rest of PW had a blast last nite on your server. Ill have to jump on your TS sometime and shoot the Shiat with you guys.

EDIT... As you could see...the change in ret color didnt help me out last nite...i got owned alot....lol

Edited by }PW{ Postal

You are right Roco that this needs to be an option in the game. Everyone should be able to change their ret color to what ever they are comfortable with. Heck...i would like to see it taken a step farther to where you could change the style of the ret from in game. Joint Operations did this and it was awesome.

I have stated before that if this becomes a big issue i will put it back because as you say...i am all about fair play as well. You are also right that Grin needs to address this one way or the other. Either make these in game options or have the Anticheat detect it.

On a side note....Roco...Me and the rest of PW had a blast last nite on your server. Ill have to jump on your TS sometime and shoot the Shiat with you guys.

EDIT... As you could see...the change in ret color didnt help me out last nite...i got owned alot....lol

LOL yeah you all are welcome to join our ts anytime.

bascially right now the ret color and post effects is a gray area that needs to be addressed. Regular users aren't going to know how to edit the file to gain the advantage. Also if we are all on the same page, detecting cheaters will be easier..

That and I always defined cheating as "Anything that gives you an advantage over another player by editing game files (note not in game options)

Maybe the server options will lock this down... but the server then needs to tell the client why they can't join so they know also.

I personally say... take the ret out (bloom does nothing for us nor effects gameplay) and let us use the end of our guns or the scope. same for GL'ers No ret.

That would solve a lot of issues and add a more realistic feel, plus make it harder on the run and gunners.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

There were 8 or 9 guys on comms last night, Postal, with 4 of us non-AFZ. You should have come in.

There were 8 or 9 guys on comms last night, Postal, with 4 of us non-AFZ. You should have come in.

Yeah a few WDA'ers were in, Logos, FNG Gsta and pretty much everyone on our in game team except that tker i banned LOL!

and tel BA to get in and play more. I only see him on for 1 or 2 games LOL!

ret color change has always been allowed on TCZ. the standard color doesn't stand out very well. I have always used white and made it turn red on friendlies (when IFF was enbled).

ret color and fsnv are not comparable. You aren't making something visible that was not originally. Everyone sees things a bit different and some colors stand out better for people. why punish someone that is colorblind to certain colors?

For non-scoped in combat, meaning John Wayne'ing around... I personally find the reticle of no real use.

It would not take much to add a configuration in to where you could change the reticle color and type of reticle you have. Personally, this would be a very good option, as you could also turn the reticle off.

Maybe if we all petition GRiN for it, we can have it added to the game.

Personally, I would rather change my reticle in game to a color I choose, and turn it on/off if I choose.

Along with turning the reticle on/off, I think there should be a server-side setting that allows you to also turn off the tracers and blip map of the direction fire is coming from.

Just my 2-cents worth of an idea.

ret color change has always been allowed on TCZ. the standard color doesn't stand out very well. I have always used white and made it turn red on friendlies (when IFF was enbled).

ret color and fsnv are not comparable. You aren't making something visible that was not originally. Everyone sees things a bit different and some colors stand out better for people. why punish someone that is colorblind to certain colors?

As i said then... remove the ret entirely. btw i am colorblind to certain colors. Green and Gold in GR1 i always got mixed up (team colors) because they were bright and looked similar to me.

As i said then... remove the ret entirely. btw i am colorblind to certain colors. Green and Gold in GR1 i always got mixed up (team colors) because they were bright and looked similar to me.

I would love no ret but then the community would be even smaller.

No ret/no firing till you bring up your weapon would be great trained soldiers don't shoot from the hip.

I'm thinking at least a reticle option, ON/OFF check box thingie. PERHAPS another option to change color, and/or yet a third one to change opacity? OK, OK, I KNOW this isn't BF2. But while that game is SPAM CITY (built BY n00Bz FOR n00Bz), it's not to say it's 100% crap. There are a few good ideas there (If you can avoid the raining trucks long enough to see them)...

Reticle options seem to be a must by year's end, preferably before Halloween...

I'm thinking at least a reticle option, ON/OFF check box thingie. PERHAPS another option to change color, and/or yet a third one to change opacity? OK, OK, I KNOW this isn't BF2. But while that game is SPAM CITY (built BY n00Bz FOR n00Bz), it's not to say it's 100% crap. There are a few good ideas there (If you can avoid the raining trucks long enough to see them)...

Reticle options seem to be a must by year's end, preferably before Halloween...

Agreed... The standard green is extremely difficult to see... I too have problems with red as well... Yellow is nice!!! :rofl:

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to change it. the option is accesible to anyone who can read, or use a search function for that matter. imo, turning off the PE is a far greater advantage than a different color ret. the only time it comes in handy is when you're ambushed by 2-3 guys anyway. just helps spraying and praying.

you don't need to be a rocket scientist to change it. the option is accesible to anyone who can read, or use a search function for that matter. imo, turning off the PE is a far greater advantage than a different color ret. the only time it comes in handy is when you're ambushed by 2-3 guys anyway. just helps spraying and praying.

Not easy... you have to play the campaign or the option isnt' even there... makes me think... hmm the option wasn't ment to be there ;) and a normal user doesn't know rgb colors nor how to edit an xml.