The reason why I dont play too many other games other then CSS is bceause CSS requires [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] to play, you just log into steam and GO. Less then 30 seconds you in a game and playing.

If all games did this it would make it alot easyer to get into the game and get to the real point, playing the game.

SO grin or UBI should setup a steam style account where you just log in and play without having to find the DVD to play.

I know it is the height of lazyness, but sometimes when I'm deciding what game to play for a quick 30min fix, I sometimes choose a steam game for that exact reason too - I don't have to hunt for/risk scratching a CD.

I know it is the height of lazyness, but sometimes when I'm deciding what game to play for a quick 30min fix, I sometimes choose a steam game for that exact reason too - I don't have to hunt for/risk scratching a CD.

is that why you never registered for that tourney then? we're doing it right now...

is that why you never registered for that tourney then? we're doing it right now...

Nah, I figured what's the point? I mean, you are in it aren't you? :g_guns:

Nah, I figured what's the point? I mean, you are in it aren't you? :g_guns:

yes, and so far it's been... less than entertaining. the anti-cheat decided to upload my C: drive contents instead of the screenshots and the staff don't know what's wrong, so that's always fun.

Tower's in the shop getting that new processor installed and all, so I couldn't make it. Otherwise I'd be ripe for the PWNing. If I can't kick all tail, I can at least help pad a good dude's stats!!!!!

Call me BULLETMAGNET!

To the OP, I recall having a [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] patch our for [GR]. I think it was a modder's work. Wonder if that's possible with GRAW.....

Edited by RAbbi_74

what a dreadful experience that tourney was. too many things went wrong. i won't be doing any PGL matching in the future.

Without getting into a slanging match, folks would probably be interested to hear exactly what went wrong, from your perspective. :yes:

what a dreadful experience that tourney was. too many things went wrong. i won't be doing any PGL matching in the future.

Without getting into a slanging match, folks would probably be interested to hear exactly what went wrong, from your perspective. :yes:

oh just about everything, i didn't know where to start, but i'll try my best...

1. the anti-cheat gets confused if you've got Windows and GRAW on different partitions, or maybe just Windows not being on C: drive. it uploaded my autoexec.bat and the rest of the files in the root folder, instead of the screenshots. i guess they've run into this before, so they let me slide. ok.

2. there was a bit of a communication problem, since the admin's English was... let's say it wasn't perfect. spelling an "i" as an "e" sure makes it harder getting into a locked server. ok.

3. all games took place on a European server, so naturally i wasn't too happy about my ping. it was quite irritating unloading on someone 5 feet away, while they're standing there and carefully aiming at your head, undamaged. blowing somebody up woudn't work a lot of times either, because even though you see the explosion and the enemy in it, the game thinks he shot you first and he survives! it was a 130-150ms delay for me. won the first match by simply camping, but in the final i was always last to fire. ok.

then the server dissappeared off the list and 3 of us couldn't see it untill it got restarted. it took over 5 hours to play 4 15 minute games, with only 13 people participating. granted, the admins did everything in their power to keep things rolling, but it was simply a mess...

GL to PGL in their endeavors, and i hope the ladder is more suitable for European players. us US players will have to wait for something on this side of the pond to play quality matches.

Yes, if Ubi offered something like Steam that didn't separate your purchase from the method of distribution, or adopted Steam as an alternative method of distribution I'd play a lot more.

As things are it's one mouse click, [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] shuffle, and [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] check hassles and failures and I'm playing one of the most realistic shooters out: Red Orchestra, so I rarely play GRAW, and never play Lockdown (which is a half-on/half-off proposition as far as the game even starting due to StarForce)...

The fact that GRAW and Lockdown take longer to load doing all their assinine CD checking then my PC does to start, salt that situation with the games additional issues, and the general sense of ill will of Ubi's blatent, malevolent regard and approach to its paying customers and too often GRAW is just not worth the effort...

I know I'm not alone in feeling Ubi really needs to establish a new and better precedent toward it's paying Customer from it's Publishing arm (not just Development)... By way of example: Epic and Atari which have co-published/developed the best selling Unreal games, release patches in a timely fashion that actually resolve outstanding issues, publish lucid and germane ad and support copy for these games, and have always released an officially sanctioned NoCD patch as part of their game's patches once game sales have peaked -- so you know ultimately you won't be dealing with CD check issues if you buy one of these games.

So here's hoping that since Ubi can't seem to learn from their mistakes, perhaps they can at least learn from the success of their competitors...

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika

the thing that really irks me and has been irking me for the last few years now is how slow the entire concept of "digital distribution" has been catching on, ###### people when you buy a game at full retail price you're basically spending $45 to cover the production and shipping charges of the publisher giving you the convenience (inconvenience IMHO) of owning a physical copy of the software you licensed (if they cut out the middle man games probably wouldn't cost more than $5-10)

we live in a digital world and having a "physical" handicap is a throwback into the dark ages if you ask me.

Valve has done a really nice thing with steam, despite what people say its pioneering technology that is still in its infant stage (nothing "new" works perfect the first time around)

as for copy protection, its a joke, the only people it hurts are "n00b pirates" and legitimate consumers

Moderator edit: Although the subject of this thread is "[Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7]?" it is against the rules of this site to discuss cracked executables, for liability reasons. Please do not mention 3rd party tools meant to get around copy protection, and 'scene' groups who do so.

buying a game now a days is like buying a box of ######ty chocolate, you never know what you get and you can't always go by what other people say, if it works for them there is no chance of it working for you because everyone has a different setup. retailers wont accept return of opened software because the mutual assumption is you copied the game and now want your money back you pinko son of a ######...

Edited: See above.

if its worth buying then buy a cd-key, that way everyone can be happy.

(my apologies in advance if I violated any "piracy discussions" rules. I'm merely attempting to keep an open mind)

Edited by Dannik

There have been some very good points raised in this thread, but I must remind the membership here that discussion of warez, cracks, copyright protection defeating tools, etc, is not tolerated here due to the risk of legal liability for both the poster and the site operators.

Keep this thread going, by all means, but please exercise restraint when posting about potential legal violations. We don't want to get a C&D, DMCA takedown warning, or request for an IP address from a legal body. And neither, I hope, do you.

I understand and respect the liability issues and concomitant forum rules. I also well understand the perceived Publisher 'need' to employ CD check copy protection in order to negotiate retail "slotting" contracts -- but what was once was a fact of life in the venue retail contract is now just perception and corporate BS...

CD check copy protection is obviously easily defeated, and all games that offer a compelling single-player component or a multi-player component that's not key served are widely "warezed" or pirated internationally... It's a simple fact that CD check copy protection has not, does not, and in fact can not impede piracy.

This is widely known at all levels of the industry and the only reason CD check is still employed is to satisfy large corporate Retail chain concerns of 'off the shelf piracy by return for refund' -- so the CD check protection is often a distribution contract requirement for large "slotting" contracts...

Never the less, Epic/Atari negotiated, or had no contract provision that exempted CD check removal from thier game software by way of patches and upgrades, so Epic removes this far to often defective BS 'feature' from all thier games via patch after the games reach sell through.

GRAW has probably reached that point; statistically we're past the asymptote of the bell curve where most of the people that are going to download a warez copy of GRAW have already done so -- they like the game enough, and are curious enough and financially dispositioned to buy the retail game in order to play the key served and very mod-able multi-player or not...

You need own/buy a key to play GRAW MP, it's a fact that totally mitigates the need for any CD check. That fact and all the aforementioned would suggest that if Ubi were a reasonable company, wanting to leverage the most sales, they would like Epic/Atari, want to leverage making the product as accessible and transparent to those remaining consumers that are willing to pay for it, and that so productively promote it...

I personally resent paying multiple times for piracy in product cost, product flakiness, and awkwardness... But even more I resent Ubi's petty and ill conceive policy with respect to how it manages piracy and complete disregard for its paying customers i.e. 'me' and friends I could be playing with that 'won't even bother with Ubi "products" any longer"... And Ubi's treatment of it's games as "product" rahter then could be the subject of another interesting dicussion and is the topic of a couple of great articles in The Escapest....

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika

Digital distribution would be nice, if not for the fact that you are limited as to how many times you can install said particular product. SHIII was limited to 5 installs with the one download and CD-key from D2D. When people download something, they expect to be able to burn said program to CD or DVD and use the same key for all future installs. D2D does not allow that (unless they have changed it recently). Now with Steam, I understand that there are no such limitations. If more digital distribution systems were like this, I am sure it would take off for other companies too. Also, last I hear, D2D used Starforce CP and we all know what happened or is happening with that. More people are steering well clear of any game that uses said CP.

Yup Starforce sucks... I got a copy of HL2/CS:S and the original disk is in perfect order (I am very careful with my games) as in no scratches/dents/cracks/other what-so-ever but it still somehow got into it's silly little mind that it wasn't the original disk in the drive a couple of times :S really annoying...

Ya, with internet 2 comming out sometime in the near future, we will be seeing alot more downloaded games rather then having to go out and buy a game ( I hate). There is this site...will not say but we all know it (pm me if you dont) where i can get a [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] patch, but PB sometimes likes to kick me for thoes...

Anyway Waika, how is RO on Steam, how much of a differance is there compared to the older verson and lastly, is it worth 24$?

Also steam is great, i can load it up on any PC anywhere, download the game and play in about a hour. Steam is like Msn messenger, you can load it anywhere, everything is saved on there database...its nice! Steam is Fast, always updating, new stuff, steam is GOD!! :) I so wish more games used steam...

**Update**

I tried one of the noCD patches that are out on the web...but securom get me everytime, I HATE THIS!!! WHERE IS THE FREEDOM...[puts graw back in box and on the book shelf] ^&*( this Im playing some CSS!!

Edited by Razors-3Dge

Razors-3Dge if you liked RO the Mod you'll like RO on Steam as much or more. RO 41-41 is more refined then the Mod in many regards, adds a lot of features, fixes, tweaks and extras -- but there are still some rough edges like the player model animations which are not the most fluid you've probably seen, but are still well above the quality you'll see most other games at the same price point. The most important bit: 'Game-Play' is uniformly excellent and surpasses just about everything in MP tactical shooters available for realism, consistency, and low headach factor.

While RO 41-45 requires Steam to run, you don't have to buy it online -- in fact you may find it for less on CD. In the event you do buy it on CD I highly recommend you only use the CD key that comes with your CD game and download the game with the key rather then install it from the disks as RO has a new file-system that has been updated since the game went gold on CD that runs faster. Converting from the original file-system installed from CD takes almost as long as a clean download that does it right the first time and seems to run better.

The germane thing here is you can have it both ways with RO on Steam, download it even if you bought the CD, or just download or even install from CD -- no limits on number of downloads [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] check, no headaches. Steam even lets you make a backup image if you didn't buy the game on disk, and want to save time on the download for a future install.

There's a lot I wish the retail game offered; like more play modes, but the RO Developers have chosen to focus their attention on their reinforcement based play mode and the game is the better for it, and they have rease a complete SDK so just about anything is possible. There's a lot of refinements in the retail game like leaning, weapon resting (to steady your rifle), and a slew of Fan made maps that download in under 30 seconds as the game ships with a mountain of fantastic textures making 3rd party map downloads a minimal bandwidth and time affair.

Worth $24? If you like the genre, and liked RO the Mod; definitely! One look at competing games that are discounted and are still over twice the price makes it a pretty easy for me to say so...

:yes:

Edited by Waika