about GRAW and the general game dev industry

The industry may be secure but the fact that some of us will stay married is not.

Muhahahaha!!! :rofl:

It could be said that in 4 years console's will overtake PC's in gaming power, speed and precision.

It only makes sense if you really think about it. So hey I can produce this game, get it right the first time for the console(since it's only 1 set of parameters), dont need to really support it with multiple patches and all.

If you look into you can really see it going downhill. HD TV's are getting cheaper TV LCD's are getting cheaper and better.

So who says you cant have a great gaming experiance with that kinda setup.

And since most homes now have a pc and a console, the pc is fine for browsing/email ect...

And the console is the main gaming platform. For console game developers its the perfect world.

Well anyways, I love PC games and hate the console junk. For me there no replacement for the mouse keyboard combo.

Well thats all....

the gap between a computer necessary for every day's tasks and a computer capable of running the latest games is infinitely growing. it just doesn't make much sense to keep up with the technology, while consoles are offering the same performance for a fraction of the cost. HP is promoting a $300 system right now: P4 whatever, 256 megs of DDR2-667, a SATA drive and windows XP. i mean what else do you need to browse the web, check e-mail, and edit your photos? sure don't have to dump 2 g's into a rig... plus, kids can't afford such stuff. a few years back your average FPS would run on your daddy's desktop, or your older brother's old computer, and you're all set. today you have to carefully shop for the required components and it's not like they're gonna last you too long... it's becoming pointless.

as soon as they attach a mouse/keyboard to a console and work out the lag, it might be very well worth the switch. wonder if that's ll happen with the PS3 and if there are plans to release GRAW for it...

Edited by th33f.

I will never buy a console, and my kids have to wit a couple of years too. I have my computerrs upstairs and that's where they stay no bleeps in my living room. Though it is hard gaming in the summer, too hawt....

I don't like consoles for their simple games, I like a little thinking during gameplay, that's why i stick to GR/GRAw and sometimes some civ3, those games don't work fully on a console, and won't for a long time.

Message's about consoles taking over are coming and going, the contra is there to read too, (PC's are getting smaller and smaller/ multy media systems are taking over)

Maybe in a couple of years I will buy a rig that will stay in the living room as an audio/tv-set and with a seperate monitor, keyboard and mouse upstairs for gaming purpouses.

Sooner or later Consoles will start costing too much for people to justify the purchase. Im already thinking of not getting a PS3, because I dont want to have to pay that much for something just to play games on.

I know you can do more now with consoles than you could back in the day regaurding online stuff, but it comes nowhere near what the PC can do. Look at the Xbox 360, CoD2 has 8 person MP, 4 per team, while the PC can fit 2x that much and more. And this is todays console technology. And they cant even sort out the lag with that. The lag is not as bad as with the older consoles, but my god, could you imagine if they went for 32 man MP?

Consoles may be cheaper and have better graphics, but they dont supply the MP that we want, and if they ever did make a console that could handle what teh PC could, it would cost just as much as a PC, and then we would be asking ourselves, why buy a console when I can do more on a PC for the same price?

If a console could let me talk to my friends online via Vent/TS while surfing the web, mod the games I play to make them last longer, add keyboard and mouse support for games, give me the same amont of players in MP as the PC witout lag, the ability to surf the web, while sending a friend a funny movie I made with fraps in game, and many other PC related things $1000 dollars cheaper than a PC, Ill make the move, till then, im a PC fanboy.

don't know about smaller PC's... as of late you can't be too serious about gaming unless you're running on water, and those kits don't fit into small cases very well. not to mention SLI, CF, and Quad-SLI setups...

I recently bought a new computer because I got tired of my old full tower making horrible noise (plus the fact that it was a bit on the old side).

I wanted a smaller case this time and got this: http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp

I must say that I've never been more satisfied with a case. My new comp is small, cool (temperature wise) and damn powerfull.

There are AM2 compatible cases out now incl. ones with SLI-motherboards, so it is possible to get smaller PC's without having to hold back on the power.

don't know about smaller PC's... as of late you can't be too serious about gaming unless you're running on water, and those kits don't fit into small cases very well. not to mention SLI, CF, and Quad-SLI setups...

I'm not a hardcore gamer

I don't have the time, the money, and have enough other things to do.

And thus I'm not the market for games.

I play 2/3 games at the most during a year, and my slots are full for this year.

GRAW, [GR]... and COD2 on the shelf waiting till I get tired of GRAW maybe...

I try to protect my kids from too much gaming, now that is east since my eldest son is only 5 years old. But I used to have a list with gametimes when I was small. It forced me to do other stuff sometimes, and after growing up I am happy with that. There are more important things in life.... and I see enough kids addicted to games failing education and paying the price afterwards....

I play just to have some fun, bet fun can be achieved in other ways too, during the summer I read alot, and playing GRAW made me pick up books on military issues

I recently bought a new computer because I got tired of my old full tower making horrible noise (plus the fact that it was a bit on the old side).

I wanted a smaller case this time and got this: http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN25P.asp

I must say that I've never been more satisfied with a case. My new comp is small, cool (temperature wise) and damn powerfull.

There are AM2 compatible cases out now incl. ones with SLI-motherboards, so it is possible to get smaller PC's without having to hold back on the power.

great buy, but then you're not planning to add much to the system, are you. i'm flat out scared to get a small case, in case the next part i buy simply won't fit. having 4 hard drives doesn't help either, so my next box is a Tai Chi monster...

great buy, but then you're not planning to add much to the system, are you. i'm flat out scared to get a small case, in case the next part i buy simply won't fit. having 4 hard drives doesn't help either, so my next box is a Tai Chi monster...

Nah, not really. The reason I got the full tower in the first place was so I could cram everything i wanted in to it but I never managed to use half of the available slots anyway.

But this case can atleast house 3-4 hard drives. The only thing I really miss atm is a good soundcard. Guess I will have to get an external one.

Sooner or later Consoles will start costing too much for people to justify the purchase. Im already thinking of not getting a PS3, because I dont want to have to pay that much for something just to play games on.

Sooner rather than later I tend to think. The PS3 is looking outragoulsy (sp) expensive, and the 360 is still extremely short on AAA titles. I have a 360 here, and a PC, and when I by a game, it's the PC version I'm buying, time and time again. I think that wraps up my opinion on next gen consoles.

Right now, it's still PC all the way.

And I forgot to add, it's not just the initial outlay with consoles, there's a pretty hefty surcharge in peripherals required post purchase.

Edited by Rocky

Until the game development industry learns that Servers Files and AC programs are just as important as the game itself, they will continue to have problems selling games. The best game in the world is useless if you have no servers to play on.

PCs and Consoles will continue to cycle as they always have. In the year a new cosole is released, it will dominate the development houses. In the years after its release, its hardware will continue to be the same while PCs move ahead. Developers will chase PC development in the "in between years" and chase the consoles in the "release years". ebb and flow. back and forth.

take as an example the PhysX card by Agiea. May seem novel to you now and too expensive to be worth much. I'll predit that in a couple of years, the chip/card will cost PC makers very little, and many games will use them. Many motherboards and graphics cards will start including them "on board" (remember when the first sound chip starting showing up oin motherboards? then graphics on board....) and they (or some other competing product) will become standardized. Consoles will be behind (not to mention behind the power of the newest graphics cards, newest processors etc), and PC games will again re emerge for a couple of good years.

Then the next gen consoles will come again and devs will ride the buzz and fluctuate toward consoles again. 20/80 one year. then 50/50. then 80/20. back and forth - back and forth.

In the end, I will probably continue to ignore consoles until they make the keyboard and the mouse a standard option as a controller and make their USB ports universal for use of any innovative controller like on the PC.

Sleep

In the end, I will probably continue to ignore consoles until they make the keyboard and the mouse a standard option as a controller and make their USB ports universal for use of any innovative controller like on the PC.

Sleep

M$/Sony must realize though, as soon as they start supporting mice/keyboards - they'll stop making money on controllers. nevertheless, it's inevitable.

I think the PC is here to stay, although i couldnt agree more on the price its costing trying to keep up an up to date machine capable of running todays games. The thing that scares me is the speed in which technology changes via PC's hardware, for the gamer its always an expensive gamble on what to buy (could end up with a betamax V's VHS situation) and usually end up with something thats out of date before you've installed it!

With the game consoles prices are creeping up with all the clever tricks and hardware they put in to meet demands.....even Microsoft are selling the XBOX360 at quite a loss on each set they sell untill it gets cheaper to produce the components, why cant Nvidia and ATI do something like this for PC gamers ???????? :whistle:

From a PC gamers point of view i dont think the hardware on the next gen consoles is anything to be affraid of, i mean its not like theres a 360 title out there that wouldnt look as good on decent PC rig, true thats going to cost a few grand to build, but as ive mentioned above those companies are willing to produce at a loss for a while.

Maybe it's the demands of people requiring the latest state of the art graphics or in some cases lazy programming who are not prepared to optamize there game to run on a medium machine, i remember when the C64 had all these clever Demos and sprites in the borders that used to amaze people with there clever programming skills.....and it all had to fit into 64k, today i swear

some peoples attitude is "Oh well it dont run well on that so lets raise the minimum requirments"

which seems the easiest solution in todays world of money, money, money!

With the game consoles prices are creeping up with all the clever tricks and hardware they put in to meet demands.....even Microsoft are selling the XBOX360 at quite a loss on each set they sell untill it gets cheaper to produce the components, why cant Nvidia and ATI do something like this for PC gamers ???????? :whistle:

because once you have the card, you won't go spending $60 bucks every month on a new title, as do millions of console-oriented parents, which is how M$ makes their profit.

Theef,

good solid point. I would say that they could make "proprietary" mice and kybopards, so that no one could steal their market. but in the end, i want my keybopard and mouse. of course, open architecture like USB would be the best solution for me (maybe not for them)

Pond.

All good points as well.....

Sleep

How about if Nvidia and ATI were included in the cut of a sold PC game?? would we be willing to pay a bit more for a game that allowed us cheaper graphics hardware! In fact, isnt their advertising splashed about on most released games??? Oi...ATI AND NVIDIA i want my percentage for using your products!!! :rofl: ha..ha... worth a go.

Sooner rather than later I tend to think. The PS3 is looking outragoulsy (sp) expensive, and the 360 is still extremely short on AAA titles. I have a 360 here, and a PC, and when I by a game, it's the PC version I'm buying, time and time again. I think that wraps up my opinion on next gen consoles.

Right now, it's still PC all the way.

And I forgot to add, it's not just the initial outlay with consoles, there's a pretty hefty surcharge in peripherals required post purchase.

Not to mention the games are more expensive as well...at least here in the U.S.