my faith is waning on GRAW

1) Beautiful Graphics..... assuming you got the horsepower to run em....

Of course people are going to disagree with you - so let me be the first :D

Personally speaking - I'm more interested in gameplay than in graphics.

In order to play AW I have to turn off pretty much everything in order to get smooth gameplay. Seeing my team-mate's shadow being cast on the ground adds nothing more to the gameplay experience than if it wasn't there - so I switch it off.

My issues are mainly with gameplay - the lethal AI, the infequency of savepoints, the bugged missions which means you cannot advance. It all adds up to a frustratring gameplaying experience - even though it may look pretty.

And don't even mention the MP...

Edited by OliverReed

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen, lite.

I haven't played AT ALL since the July patch came out. Mostly because I didn't feel like re-installing GRAW so that all the mods I did have installed wouldn't bug up logging on to a MP server.

Quite simply, the game blows chunks all over itself. I played SP once through and haven't gone back. No point.

America's Army has more replayability than this broken down mule.

I think beautiful graphics should be changed to "immersive graphics" and GRAW has that in bucketloads, and just as BF2's sound raised the bar for me, GRAW took it up another notch, I'm lucky in that I've got a rig that will run this as its meant to look and a nice X-Fi card to give me all the sonic loveliness but remember all the problems when BF2 came out and you had to have a card capable of running pixel shader xxx (cant remember what version) and gamers were really fed up that they had to upgrade their perfectly good 4000 and 5000 series nvidia cards to play the game. This game is future proofed and in 12 months time it'll play perfectly on the machines you've all upgraded too, fingers crossed GRIN will iron out the major network/multiplayer bugs in the sacred July patch and everybody will at least be able to have a good multiplayer experience without crashing or not being able to join the servers.

I'm losing more and more faith with this game. It seems the only people that are having fun with it are the Xbox360 owners. I'm sure they don't have to constantly worry about cheaters, patches not working, disconnect errors, files not matching the server...the list goes on.

Grin, what the ######?

My squad and I are not having any problems playing the PC version other than unable to finish the missions by getting our butts handed to us.

I had problems with a couple of the patches, some other minor problems, but now I'm running very smooth.

I don't have a top end computer, it's middle of the line and I can still run every setting on high.

What's different between those that are having problems and those not having problems? Who knows?

I do undestand the disappointment in not having TDM vs. DM, but are they not basically and fundamentally the same thing? The only difference I can personally see is there is a Team Score compared to an individuals score?

If someone else can explain fundamentally what the difference are between TDM as compared to DM, I'm all eyes. I realize that one is team orientated while the other is indvidual orientated.

They have fixed the major issues that I can see so far.

One thing I strongly agree on is that the A/C is probably inadequate if it's allowing third party programs such as a cheat to work in the game. I think any A/C should check the Direct-X files to also make sure that they are not altered and that MD5 checking on the file is also done to help prevent people cheating.

Anway, this is just this girl's 2 cents/pences worht of an opinion.

*EDIT: Wasn't clear on the fundamental differences and thought people would follow along, but I corrected it so it was much more clearer.

Edited by ToW-Angel

IMHO the biggest problem is the vast configuration differences between pc's, motherboards, cpu's, memory, graphics cards, sound cards etc, all made by different manufacturers, all working slightly differently and all needing their own drivers, one missing driver and it could all so easily fall apart, I know Strapts problems were caused by a missing driver and anybody who is having problems could so easily have fallen into the same boat, thats why I like building my own PC's, I know exactly whats in it and what drivers it requires and check for updates regularly. Now the Xbox 360 is just a box with a standardized set of parts inside and the programmers dont have to allow for variations in the system and every Xbox360 runs at the same speed etc, loads easier for em if you ask me.

I do undestand the disappointment in not having TDM vs. DM, but are they not basically and fundamentally the same thing? The only difference I can personally see is there is a Team Score compared to an individuals score?

Here you go: DM vs TDM

The big difference is SOLO (DM) vs SQUAD (TDM).

The difference comes to tactics, namely in DM there are no tactics: it is all about raking up as many kills as you can. Therefore, the only required skills in DM are accuracy and reaction speed. In TDM on the other hand the big thing is teamwork besides the previously mentioned two. TDM is all about pushing the enemy back into their spawn through superior positioning (and getting the kills off course) and then raping them out or, when your team is on the losing hand, to find a way to force the opposite team to make a tactical error and fight yourself back into the game.

I know how a lot of people feel here about spawn raping, but that is the ultimate way to finish a TDM match: total domination over the opponent (IMHO).

In short:

DM = killing as many as you can, as quickly as you can

TDM = use of tactics to subdue the enemy team(s)

The reason why TDM is so popular is this:

A 5 player mediocre team with superior teamwork skills will defeat (most of the time anyway) a 5 player high reaction/accuracy team. Teamwork is essential in TDM.

We do not want this as CO-OP because it is more fun to tell a human HAHA, WE BEAT YOU than a computer lol.

But, a very well organized team will dominate a regular DM too over the individual players who just want to rack up kills.

I do understand your point and I agree with it to the point I just made.

Yes, but the point of TDM is that it purposely designed for one team fighting against another. Then there is also the laddering aspect. A game needs to end as soon as the other team has been wiped out, without having to wait until only one dude lives. This is not only because it is annoying if you have to kill your team mates, but it is also important when the ladder you play on requires statistics about the match (For [GR] for example on TAGaming.com we were required to enter the kills for each player in the match, statistics rule :P).

Edited by CkZWarlord

I can see DM if there were no actual sides, but it's still divided in half.

If there were no actual sides, then I feel it would be a true DM. But with there still only being 2 sides, I still feel it's TvT, at least IMHO.

Warlord, I do understand. :)

If there were no actual sides, then I feel it would be a true DM. But with there still only being 2 sides, I still feel it's TvT, at least IMHO.

Are you talking about Domination? What sides are you talking about in Deathmatch?

Are you talking about Domination? What sides are you talking about in Deathmatch?

There is a split... Still US against Mex.

You are right how could I have missed it, the game is perfect!! DM is really TDM (I see it so clearly now). The two companies responsible for this game do have my best interests at heart, and I just need to open my eyes.

Your hijacking is blatant and your motives transparent. You will defend GRAW to the end, to include trying to convince people DM is TDM, but we are too stupid to grasp it.

Below is the same type of remark I have seen you post to others that ask questions here:

If I have missed the mark on the above statement. Then let be clarify TDM starts with a "T", however, DM does not. Need more help go play [GR] (its just 10 bucks).

If you think I am being to harsh Angel: I will leave you with your own words.

No... Not really... I know what I have said, but there are people who cannot understand the point nor do they even try, so you have to drill it into them until they understand...

"Can't learn to ride a bull in one day."

There are people that even if you laid every single solitary thing out in front of them, simplified it down as far as humanly possible, just won't understand no matter how hard a person tries.

The reason for such an aggressive approach is because the only thing this person has ever said was something about the manual, so many times that I bet he can't even remember.

It's been explained, explained again and explained even further... He just will never understand.

Whether you agree or disagree with my approach is up to you, I took the only approach I felt would get the point across and even that failed.

And to add on to what Warlord said... I agree with him.

But, at this point in the game with the development and now released game, it's just never going to happen. Future games we can definitely hope for better manuals, but the producer has the ultimate control over the content of the manual... GRIN is not at fault here, it's their publisher.

Now how about some ontopic stuff, as there are many people on the fence awaiting the next patch.

You are right how could I have missed it, the game is perfect!! DM is really TDM (I see it so clearly now). The two companies responsible for this game do have my best interests at heart, and I just need to open my eyes.

Your hijacking is blatant and your motives transparent. You will defend GRAW to the end, to include trying to convince people DM is TDM, but we are too stupid to grasp it.

Below is the same type of remark I have seen you post to others that ask questions here:

If I have missed the mark on the above statement. Then let be clarify TDM starts with a "T", however, DM does not. Need more help go play [GR] (its just 10 bucks).

If you think I am being to harsh Angel: I will leave you with your own words.

No... Not really... I know what I have said, but there are people who cannot understand the point nor do they even try, so you have to drill it into them until they understand...

"Can't learn to ride a bull in one day."

There are people that even if you laid every single solitary thing out in front of them, simplified it down as far as humanly possible, just won't understand no matter how hard a person tries.

The reason for such an aggressive approach is because the only thing this person has ever said was something about the manual, so many times that I bet he can't even remember.

It's been explained, explained again and explained even further... He just will never understand.

Whether you agree or disagree with my approach is up to you, I took the only approach I felt would get the point across and even that failed.

And to add on to what Warlord said... I agree with him.

But, at this point in the game with the development and now released game, it's just never going to happen. Future games we can definitely hope for better manuals, but the producer has the ultimate control over the content of the manual... GRIN is not at fault here, it's their publisher.

Now how about some ontopic stuff, as there are many people on the fence awaiting the next patch.

Most folks, whether they admit it or not, are on the fence. It's a matter of how long you'll stay there. Many have already bailed. I'm sorry to see it. So are some others.

But I think the valid poit you jsut tried to shoot down was that you can't have TDM without DM. It started with the individuals and works its way up to teams.

The guys at GRiN have delivered in each patch what they said they would. They say there's TDM coming (wasn't it TEAM-LMS in [GR]?) and I believe them. I also believe it will have a glitch that one of our less flowery folks out there in the community will treat as if it were a blatant attack on his mother's name. GRiN guys say there should be dedicated server files by the end of hte summer, and I believe them. There will be bugs in that as well, I'm positive of it. AND IT WILL GET FIXED EVENTUALLY, as well. By October, I expect to have a 90% solution in-hand. And I think that'll be a pretty spiffy accomplishment by GRiN, having this piece of software THAT close to solid, compatable with as many video cards and processors and various other thingamajigs, in as many various combinations as are imaginable, thoroughly play-tested under various conditions through EVERY VIRTUAL INCH OF EVERY MAP, et cetera, ad nauseum.

The sheer magnitude of their task is amazing. Like the bumper sticker said, "Computer geeks do it with numbers, baby."

I never got that either, but you all have valid points and I don't. SKROO you, I'm goin' home!

But I think the valid poit you jsut tried to shoot down was that you can't have TDM without DM. It started with the individuals and works its way up to teams.

Sorry I don't get the chicken and the egg reference. No need to explain, I will concede. Just trying to get us back on topic and end the TDM is DM thing.

There are many discussions going on, almost all of them dealing with TDM being released and the debate of what the next patch is going to bring and fix to the game, and a lot of them about how disappointed they are in the game.

What I try to do is bring balance and to help those that have problems.

Am I being a fangurl? Probably?

Willie, you can point out my words as many times as you feel the need to. I know what I've said. Do I feel you are being harsh? Personally don't care either way.

There is logic in what I say and how I say it.

I personally apologize for attempting to bring a balance and an outside point of view. If anyone is offended, then please accept this apology.

Sorry I don't get the chicken and the egg reference. No need to explain, I will concede. Just trying to get us back on topic and end the TDM is DM thing.

I don't get it either! LOL, j/k. Anyhow, I too shall concede and NEVER AGAIN mention TDM, DM, BDSM, or S&M to anyone in this forum. You can COUNT on it!

See how we can all get along?! Ain't it GRAND?!

We shoud never get into a hell bent flame fest. We must all understand that there are some of us who like GRAW here and some of us who don't.

The bigger picture is, how long will people wait out to see the end result? Some won't. some will.

But I have to concede that there aren't alot of people on at one time except 2 servers i can think of. I think GR had more people playing at 4 months than GRAW.

Well Papa6, I stay or go on the editor. The other problems I feel there is atleast a chance they will fix. No game is perfect and 100% want I would want it to be,( it would be played by me and me alone).

No news or changes = I go. I don't see many people post about it so I will let it go (after this):

1. The map editor in its current state is the equivalent of having to wright on article with someone giving the words you must use in advance. *Unless you are willing to buy and live in 3DS.

2. I think some of us have come full circle with the more urban thing. Square objects are easier to model, texture, light, and render. Esecially if you cannot go in them. Hint urban maps are easier on the game developers, game engines, and client pc's. To make a good urban map requires much more skill, thought, and forsight than any ourdoor map.

3. I think GRAW's largest problem is the treatment of mods and maps. Knowing how much [GR] community modified the game, I feel betrayed that a better method for map making, mods construction, and above all distibution was not the first thought in everyone's mind. I look at BF2 most players are in ranked, stock map servers one year after release. How many mods to you see successful, and how many player made maps are being played.

Now for the positive (this may hurt some feelings):

1.The game is not optimized (I will give you that). But they did not cater to the bottom PCs. Thank you.

2. The player movements (minus lag) are awesome. Thank you.

3. Releasing something titled GR on the PC. Thank you.

My biggest concern is the mod/map making. Everything else can be fixed. I, however, do not see much coming out of GRAW. Please oh God, let me be wrong. I am only looking for a commitment from UBI/Grin that normal humans can add to the game. As stated earlier I have and fiddle with 3ds, but most do not. Some simple terrain generations and control of the height of buildings would go a long way.

Angel

Again Angel how about some on topic stuff from you.

I am not even going to debate your so called motives with you.

Did you hijack this thread? Yes. Period.

You say you are here to bring some balance. News flash, there is no balance. We all comment for a reason. You have an agenda, good, all of us do. Don't hide behind that agenda as balance.

Play the high priestest or victim or what ever you are trying to do.

I will not get into a ######ing contest with you, that is why I ignore you on chat and TS. I know you all to well.

I would ignore you here put you seem to have close to 300 posts in less than 40 days. I need to dig up that ignore thread I saw one of the admins suggesting earlier. I suggest you do the same. I will post a link if I find it. No worries, you will be rid of me soon enough, or I you.

If you want to carry this on further I would say PM me but as far as I am concerned this is over. On second thought don't bother as I have nothing further.