Is adding more players to Coop possible?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you really dont have to read in too hard, Colin talks to certain people @ Grin, possible coders, these coders know and have easily replicated a way of doing what we are asking for, but are not really aloud to show you how, or release their own mods(NDA) all software made by ubisoft employees for ubisoft products are stricktly prohibited unless authorized by senior managment. Hence hes telling us that its possible its in front of your face, but he cant say right now.

They "Grin" are prob reading this now saying yup. Not to mention hoping you acheive what you set out to do.

Edited by TaLoN.TP

Upto now you guys have amazed a lot of people.

What you have achieved in the last 2 weeks will be overshadowed in the weeks to come.

Compliments have come from various places, dedication,determination, I can imagine you will be able to do what some Grin members dream about having the time and resources to do in this game.

Justa little patience thats all that remains now.

Im still working on this. To date I have had limited success. I have had some of the same problems with a crash at insertion. So I have now gone to the extent of changing max players, loading menus, insertions and communication icons for the hud.

I got 5 to load into the game and I thought I had found the trick. No Helo or Stryker used for insertions. But shortly after insertion about 2 or 3 mins I can't remember I was so excited CRASH. But it did load for a little while. In my excitement I forgot the crash log and lost it.

Not sure of what caused it but maybe something about a check done in game Im not sure but it did insert.

If I am succesfull I will post what worked. Fingers crossed.

Another thing I have noticed is that neither the Helo or Stryker are big enough for more than 4 players. However the C135 is. Also I am looking at the posibilty of maybe using 2 Helos or Strykers for inserts. Not sure if it's doable yet but just an idea to throw around.

Id like to thank you gents as well for the hard work you are doing. I knew you guys were going to pump the blood into this game but I cant think of anywhere else you get this kind of speed and service (and its free!!) :D:grin1:

(Where's the smiley guy with the "Im with GR Modding Community" sign at anyhow?)

Edited by Psylo.pxs

• 2 weeks later...

Im still working on it. It turns out it is a bit more involved than I thought. I have solved one of the problems with it and I am currently working on the 2nd. If I can get that figured out I should be able to get at least 8.

I may need counseling later but who cares.

Im still working on it. It turns out it is a bit more involved than I thought. I have solved one of the problems with it and I am currently working on the 2nd. If I can get that figured out I should be able to get at least 8.

Man that is awesome news amigo, keep at it brother. You'll be my hero and I am sure one to many others. We'll give you a shoulder to cry on when you need the counseling! :lol:

Yes, Creatch...

Please post what you're attempting. Maybe there are others that can help.

:)

In a nut shell increasing the players that can play coop against mex AI in a mission based programme.

Because the game is built round the 4 man situation all of the mission based stuff is based on this.

It will be one of the hardest things to crack.

This is being worked on in other places aswell so between you all it is possible.

It is one area in this game that will make a lot of you very happy bunnies.

When done.

While Im here thanks to all of you who are working on this.

June should make this task a bit easier.

Colin

maybe if you post what you're attempting some of us with fresh insights may be able to help

Ok here is a quick run down. First I have removed all the insertions from the coop missions. No helo or stryker. No briefing in either video or audio. You just spawn at the regular insertion point. This has been a bit buggy but getting better. Load times came down from approx 4 mins to just over 2.

The main problem I have now is resizing the joining screen so there can be more than 4.

If you have noticed the field for ghosts is very small but the field for chat is huge. If these fields can be alterd and the extra space made it should be a simple task of copying the code for the player spots in the upper field.

As there are 10 ghost characters in the game it shouldnt be a huge deal to get 8. :rofl:

Then there is only the communication icons for the hud as far as the xtra players go. As many of these things are tied together in very elusive ways it's a matter of trying to find all the child directories associated with the parent. But my main problem is the resizing of the joining screen. That and the fact I need glasses now from all the reading of xml files.

Im not the greatest coder but I am very very persistant.

for you coders out there....one of the best tools I can think of would parse ALL .xml files into a functional class tree of sorts, so we can see all related included files and the like (like the ability to expand the model="this.xml" so we can see the this.xml right there in the tree). With the right layout, it would be an unbelieveable resource for modders who are working in multiple layers of .xml. just a suggestion.

not sure how relevant or accurate it is , but out of the 10 ghosts you found active in the files , how many are modeled and ready to be used ?

i say this because it could be the friendly NPC players from the "Ready for Bear" mission , which obviously you cant control .

so i just wanted to chime in and suggest validating the usefulness of the other 6 "Ghosts"

not sure how relevant or accurate it is , but out of the 10 ghosts you found active in the files , how many are modeled and ready to be used ?

i say this because it could be the friendly NPC players from the "Ready for Bear" mission , which obviously you cant control .

so i just wanted to chime in and suggest validating the usefulness of the other 6 "Ghosts"

That is a good point. As I am trying to use them just in testing to see if I can get more than 4 for Coop I never looked into the files to see if they were even complete or usable.

But the main problem at the moment is trying to resize the joining screen so it will show more than 4 player slots.

I definitley hope that we can get t his working... My squadmates, friends and I are hoping for at least 8 total players to be able to play Co-Ops.

Curious Question:

Couldn't a second squad of 4 be created instead of adding to Mitchell's?

Curious Question:

Couldn't a second squad of 4 be created instead of adding to Mitchell's?

The join screen still has to be changed reguardless of the number of teams. But at this point with my codeing skills adding more teams is not an option for me.

I have gotten some very limited success inserting more than 4 but it always crashes inside of 2 mins. Invalid player id.

So at this point I am stuck. Some of the files I cannot edit. I am hoping with the editor it will be an easier task but at this point with my skill level of codeing I am at a loss. :(