Is adding more players to Coop possible?

You guys are awesome, been following some of the posts.

I know were fresh into the game, was just wondering if any of you guys have seen anything related to being able to have more players in coop?

Thanks for all y'alls work in looking under the hood! :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its the data/gui/menu/pages.xml i think

<callback function="setup_setting_slider" parameter1="server_max_players" parameter2="1" parameter3="32" parameter4="1" parameter5="max_players" parameter6="server_data" parameter7="140" object1="players" />

Change 32 to whatever you want. I really dont know if it will work but i dont see why not. I also dont know if you will be able to join a modded server without modded client.

Edited by Nemon

Code dudes please read.

I have been told 4 man team in COOP mission based games,can be modded.

IE fout to eight humans against AI in game missions.

It has been suggested that eight would be the maximum playable, no more.

Its partly achievable by xml files and undoing codeing, just wondered if any one can crack this before tomorow night.? :)

It is and it isn't, it's a setup line for a callback into the script to set the max players. It's true that the script could have some hard coded limit but i dont see a reason why there should be one. If you're writing a server application that handles a variable number of players/clients, it wouldn't make sense to hard code limits for only X number of players. Atleast not from my perspective anyway.

I can imagine two reasons why this might not work.

• The script files perform input checks on the callback.. and would simply ignore the input abover 32... or
  • The game preallocates some arrays of a set size (32/16x2) and when a 33rd player joins it over runs and crashes.

It really depends how they work it under the hood and unless someone trys to fill a server with more than 32 players we'll never know. Due to the fact they seem to of gone to every length to make the engine very moddable i susspect this will work.

The UI is as much a part of the game as the scripts, native code, models and textures.

Code dudes please read.

Its partly achievable by xml files and undoing codeing, just wondered if any one can crack this before tomorow night.? :)

I tried to mod the coop server with more than 4 AI and it crashed(as i susspected). Infact it wouldn't even let me have the option of more than 4. The reason is that the AI is probably tightly bound to the games script code and story than a DOM human player is.

Edited by Nemon

Code dudes please read.

Awesome news about it being moddable! :)

Edited by TGBonehead

I was able to add a 5th AI player to the COOP mode, everything works fine (weapon loadout, display of the 5th player in hud) util you start to rope down. Then the game crashes with an error in scontrollogics.dxe because of a vector3 expected

I should look for that rope sequence, maybe I find the script ;)

All done with the demo.

Edited by Striker-1991

That's interesting, i tried 6 but just died on map load. I guess i could of changed something else along the way and not realised. Perhaps you could try it on another map?

I have only the demo atm. Still waiting for the package to be delivered :(

There is maybe only a simple file that I forgot to edit. What I did is adding a player to Mitchells group by creating a new ghost identity based on Allen. There are several files to edit for that, but not the mission files. The full game should include more ghosts (10 in the ghost_members.xml). For what I can see there is only the automated insertion of Mitchells group in the mission not for each member.

Lets see tomorrow. Time to sleep ;)

Well i made it 50 players and extracted all files from the bundle and now my server crashes after every map so reinstall i say YES!!!

Why do you guys try 50 ppl at once? May I suggest at least 8 ppl first? You know, baby steps.. or you are talking regular domination mode..

Edited by 1Bravo [CV]

' date='May 9 2006, 12:55 AM' post='370919']

Justa heads up it is doable, its already been done in certain circles.

Keep going guys, nice work.

Two Qs. Is there a mod competition or something, and if it's already been done why redo it?

I think you are getting tested Nemon :lol: J/K

I was genuine in my question because in the last post he mentioned something about before tonight, i'm presuming he isn't hinting at a patch so...

My interest in GRAW is really out of an interest in game engines than is in practical mods, ofcourse if i find anything usefull i can share and more the better for everyone. If i want todo anything with GRAW atm its reverse the script files. Reversing the script files would remove any/most limits that you're going to face in any future mod. I fully expect GRAW to release mod tools tho, so im iffy on whether or not its worth the time it would take.